Taking chances on 'Parenthood'
November 17th, 2010

Taking chances on 'Parenthood'

Members of the Braverman clan took some personal chances on last night’s episode, and while some worked, others definitely didn’t.

Max wasn’t invited to a friend’s birthday party, and while he didn’t really notice, Kristina seemed hurt. She confronted the mom, Andi, about it at school, and it turned out the girl didn’t want to invite Max and another kid.

Andi said she thought for one day her daughter should have what she wanted, and that Kristina should understand since she’s also the mother of a child with Asperger’s. You’d think Kristina would leave it alone – I mean, it’s just one birthday party. But she approached the girl about it in class.

The child said Max doesn’t like to lose so he couldn’t come to the party. Kristina went back to Andi and tearfully explained why she's trying so hard. Thankfully, Andi understood and the kids had a supervised play date to work on their skills while Andi and Kristina bonded.

Meanwhile, Amber brought home some near-genius SAT scores, earning a 2250 on her SATs (for those who don’t remember, 2400 is perfect). Sarah brought donuts to work because she’s so proud and happy about Amber’s score, and she walked right into Adam’s office - again with the lack of boundaries - while he was talking to some woman.

Then Boss Baldwin came in, hugged the woman and barely acknowledged Sarah. At some point, Sarah talked to the woman, who is a Berkley grad, about speaking to Amber so Amber could make connections for college. Amber, however, didn’t want to do it, and I can kind of understand that. It turns out she was scared she would screw it up. Her uncle Adam made this sweet mini-speech about how she shouldn’t be scared to put herself out there, and she ended up doing the meeting, which turned out well for her.

Camille let it slip that the art class she’s taking is being taught by the guy she slept with, and Zeek decided to bring it up in therapy. He wanted her to drop the class, but Camille wasn’t having it. She argued that she’s been waiting to take the class and she didn’t expect the guy to be teaching, and besides, nothing was going on.

Camille wants them to learn to trust each other again, which is all well and good, but  Zeek doesn’t trust the teacher. He confronted Matthew the art teacher in the parking lot outside the school, and after an awkward class where Matthew says it's probably best they don't talk about anything, Camille confronted Zeek. He lost it, and yelled about how humiliated he feels and she yelled back that he hasn’t changed.

Moving on to another relationship: Haddie and Alex. The two were doing the playful banter thing at the shelter, and I’m still not sure how old this guy is supposed to be. If he’s of an appropriate age, it’s cute. If he’s too old, it’s creepy and I’m not sure if I like where it’s leading. Haddie told her grandmother how much she likes Alex, and Camille gets very emotional about it, telling Haddie she thinks it's wonderful. It's nice to see, considering how much trouble she's having with her own love life.

It was a fairly laid-back episode. Not a lot of crazy drama, but the stories moved along, which is why I think this is a great show; sometimes realistic stories can be entertaining.  What did you think?

Post by:
Filed under: Parenthood • television • TV recaps

1. Kylie's mom

I love this show! My daughter has Autism so it it quite refreshing to see a show about real life. My real life. I think they are really developing Max's character well. Autism is very isolating for parents so I cheer on Adam and Christina every week!
    On another note: I am so sick of celebrity reality shows. What a bunch of junk! The Kardashians?? Really? Who cares!! Kudos to NBC for some QUALITY programming!!

November 18, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  2. lolarites

Wow, these Braverman's are a big bunch of butinski's. Max needs to learn disappoint is part of life, talking to some woman who happened to go to Berkeley will get you zip when it comes to getting in and it's obvious Zeke has just been patronizing his wife by going to therapy. Haddie has no idea what kind of struggle Alex is trying to handle, she's f***ing him up and needs to back off. These Braverman's are like a bunch of bulls charging Gumps. What ever they want is alright because they want it.

November 18, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. Janice

One of my favorite shows. Very well written with characters that are real.

November 18, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. beenz

Great show- I hope it lasts. Imagine that... a well written show with talented ACTORS, keeping us interested enough to tune in every week – rather than some fixed 'celebrity' dance contest.

November 18, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. valerie

I LOVE THIS SHOW! IT IS THE BEST SHOW ON TV RIGHT NOW. I WISH THEY PROMOTED IT MORE. IT'S SO REALISTIC AND REFRESHING AND INTERESTING. THE CHARACTERS ARE SO BELIEVABLE AND YOU CAN RELATE TO THEM ON SO MANY LEVELS. I HOPE THEY LAST FOR A LONG LONG TIME. IT REMINDS ME OF ONE OF THE GREATEST SHOWS EVER "ONCE AND AGAIN".

November 18, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rochelle

I do enjoy this show, however, after the first season it seems they are trying to hard. The characters always seem to be overtalking each other. I understand they want to appear like a "real" family but it just comes through as though everyone is scrambling. Families talk to each other, not at each other. Wish they could settle down a bit more.

November 18, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cabbott

Love this show. Having a child with Autism, I can relate to this show. Also, all the other characters resemble some members of my family in some way. I don't think that there is ever an episode that I don't cry or at least tear up because of my connection with Adam and Kristina. I wish everyone could watch this show at least once. Hope NBC doesn't pull an ABC and pull it. It is the best!

November 18, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kat

I love this show, because it does tackle some real life stuff and it also shows how the parents don't always have some Leave It to Beaver scripted Donna Reed automatic response. Sometimes Hattie makes her point and walks out before her parents have an opportunity to disagree with her...it happens.
    Craig T. Nelson was always a cool, flawed and hilarious dad. Poltergeist series, Coach, etc. I like this show in a way that I can DVR it and watch it on Wednesday which is my slow DVR day. It's funny, relaxing, while still neurotic....or maybe other people with neuroses relax me??? Anyway, it's great!

November 17, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CAnde

I loved how they celebrated amber's scores, that was nice

November 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Shyanne's mom

I love this show...It is down to earth and deals with family problems and issues, that we all know happen in real life..It's a nice change from all the reality shows and comedies that I don't even tune into..
    Thanks NBC for renewing this great show for this season..You made the right choice!!

November 17, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |