Leo DiCaprio: Saving tigers one tweet at a time
November 17th, 2010

Leo DiCaprio: Saving tigers one tweet at a time

Leonardo DiCaprio is on a titanic mission to save tigers.

"Did u know that illegal trade in tiger parts has led to over 1k tigers killed over the past 10yrs? #SaveTigersNow 4 big news soon," the actor tweeted on November 15. Just days earlier, the 36-year-old star thanked his followers for their birthday wishes and also gave tigers another shout out.

In fact, DiCaprio's entire Twitter page seems largely devoted to the big cats.

"It’s Animal Action Week and the focus is on wild tigers. Check out IFAW for ways to engage," he tweeted in October, while in August, he wrote, "Glaciers, oil spills, tigers…a few things I’m thinking about at http://www.leonardodicaprio.org.";

So why the frequent tweeting about tigers?

“Tigers are endangered and critical to some of the world's most important ecosystems,” DiCaprio, a World Wildlife Fund ambassador, told the Hollywood Reporter in September. “Key conservation efforts can save the tiger species from extinction, protect some of the planet's last wild habitats and help sustain the local communities surrounding them. By protecting this iconic species, we can save so much more.”

1. SoS

So why exactly is Leo wanting us to save a multi-millionaire professional golfer?

November 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Carrie!

Tigers love pepper. They hate cinnamon.

November 18, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Name*mischabi

Hahaha! Lol... You buncha idiots! Writing these comments is almost like getting you 15 minutes of fame isn't it? Gotta love it! Personally. Leo: my parents raised us 8 kids with an African Lion, she ate all our Barbies, our piano legs, our pots and pans but she never ate the Collie or the Siamese cat.. Go figure.

November 18, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Gabrielle

You know Leo you are a pretty cool guy you have the right influence to do something about those beautiful creatures, also look at the endangered Rhino's. You can do it Leo. I know you can you have it.....

November 18, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jade

Haven, screw the damned tigers, feed the starving kids

November 18, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John

P.S.

I love the way Leo drives to interviews in his Prius..
    Then when he gets home he switches to the black Land Rover HSE with dark tinted windows.....
    How do I know this?
    I live next to him!
    Spare me the B.S.......

November 18, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. john

Thankgod for Leo!
    What would we do without them!
    The entire population would go extinct but for the
    efforts of celebrities like Leo...not to mention the extinction of animals!
    Just think where would Haiti be without Sean?!?!
    I hear Madonna is in the process of adopting all of africa!
    Now could they help us out with America's weight problem?

November 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. steveo1234

Why is there never concern for the Aardvarks? Lions, tigers, whales, oh my.

November 18, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tiger

Thanks, Leo. We love you and your movies!

November 18, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sheila kind

Bad photo. Leo is 36 years old now, not some 21 year old twerp. Looking more like a man, which is what he is. What does that have to do wi th saving tigers anyway? He's donated several million dollars for Tsunami and Haiti. Maybe doesn't advertise it a lot, though.

November 18, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jjboston

His face! Thought he's good-looking before.

November 18, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kuuipo

Hey mr. Ron31 are you doing anything to save the starving people in this world?!

November 18, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Ron31

I don't think that this is any of your business Kuuipo, but yes I do...I donate food to my church for their food drive that they have every month.I believe the human race is far more important than an animal that kills people.I hope this answers your question since you wanna be so DAMN nosey.

November 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Josh

I love lamp.

November 18, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tim

I like turtles

November 18, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  15. lancon454

I think that this is a great thing he is doing! I love tigers and we are loosing them at an alarming rate!

November 18, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  16. Dawn

Leave Leo alone. He is doing a great thing. It is horrible knowing that tigers will someday be extinct. At least he is not thinking about himself.

November 18, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  17. iris

Thank you Leo. If you're interested in this story you should read "The Tiger" by John Vaillant.

November 18, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  18. ship

looks like his ship is sinking. what has happened to him?

November 18, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  19. TheDeparted

Leo is doing a good thing...But it does not look good for wild tigers and even worse ..Cheetahs....Enjoy them now because they will be extinct soon...................................................

November 18, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  20. mshollywoods

I would like to get married nowsome time this year are in decemberbefore chirtmas I love you my tigerwood because you help lot people love so much I learn alot by him your lovelywife

November 18, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  21. Haven

Screw the starving kids. tigers have.more right to be here.. at lwast they're a part of this planet and nature not constantly striving to separate from it. my respect for Leo just grew by leaps and bound

November 18, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  22. tinman

He save the tigers and let Bratgerlina save the children.

November 18, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  23. mshollywoods

I want to say thank you america people for your prayer me my husbandstalk about ourproblen we can make it people I will stay beside him all the way I love you baby idont care what people think about us he is my new husbands now I let go of my past now

November 18, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Capn. Slapaho

I'm sorry, what in the random F- are you talking about? The internet might be too much for you.

November 18, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  24. therese mccarthy

Why is it if someone looks sad it's them that need help? The man at least thinks and the plight of the tigers is one of the things he's passionate about. Help yourself and then save the tigers. Leo's just fine.

November 18, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  25. Ron31

I think it is great that Leo wants to save the tigers, but what about the starving children out here in the world....

November 18, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

What do you think Tigers eat?

November 18, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Well...

There are already many charities dealing with that issue, it IS okay to spread goodwill to other issues.

November 18, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zeppelin

There are plenty of charities helping humans. There are too many people on this planet anyway. Humans are not the only important thing on earth.

November 18, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  26. SKY

FACT: LOVE STARTS AT HOME.
    THIS MAN IS CRYING FOR HELP, I SEE IT IN HIS EYES....
    THIS MAN IS STRUGGLING JUST TO MAKE IT FROM DAY TO DAY....

November 17, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Decaf my good man, decaf.

November 18, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred Evil

Aww, the poor baby, with only tens of millions of dollars at his disposal, and any of 100 million wanna-be friends.
      I SO pity him.

November 18, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. leiferikson

Celebrities bringing attention to struggling species could potentially save them. We put them in peril, we should try to help them out.

November 17, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  28. SKY

FACT: STOP SAVING THE TIGERS AND SAVE YOURSELF!
    (HE LOOKS SO SAD AT TIMES)

November 17, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Awfull

November 17, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Adrian

Thank you for helping us save the tiger. I appreciate what Leonardo is doing http://bit.ly/ck4oDT

November 17, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  31. portalpunk

leo is starting to look like 'puffy face elvis'

November 17, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |