Gwyneth Paltrow rocked it on 'Glee'
November 17th, 2010

Gwyneth Paltrow rocked it on 'Glee'

I was never much of a Gwyneth Paltrow fan.

Nothing against her as an actress - or, now, as a singer - but I was just “meh” where she was concerned. All of that changed Tuesday night.

Paltrow’s appearance on “Glee” was all I had hoped Britney Spears’s guest role was going to be: fun, electric and just downright cool. Having watched the clip online of Paltrow performing “Forget You” a few times (ok, it was more like 100 times), I was fully prepared for that to be the highlight of the show.

But that was only the beginning. Paltrow came with her "A" game as the substitute teacher brought in to replace Mr. Schuester after he gets the monkey flu. (Ha! I just love typing the words “monkey flu!”)

Anyhoo, Paltrow’s Holly Holiday was a dream substitute: funny, hip and completely aware of pop culture. I just about bust a gut when she referred to a former student as resembling a “more attractive Biggie Smalls” rather than taking the all too easy, “She looked a bit like Precious” route.

Ms. Holiday even managed to initially score the approval of Sue as the pair bonded over red wine and a show I wish to goodness actually existed called “Animal Hoarders." Really, "Glee" was pretty much hitting on all cylinders, other than the fact that they continue to make Rachel an annoying shrew who resents any and everyone who takes even a teeny bit of attention away from her.

I didn’t even really mind the tater tots subplot, though I didn’t appreciate Kurt lecturing Mercedes on how she is – according to him – substituting food for love and him for a boyfriend. Seriously dude, you just scored your first gay friend last week, so that hardly places you in a position to become Mr. Know-It-All with your homegirl who has been there for you for almost two seasons.

And that mash-up of "Umbrella” and “Singing in the Rain” at the end of the show had me dancing in front of the TV a little bit. Paltrow had some sweet moves and I’m anticipating lots of Broadway offers in her future.

Did you heart Gwynnie Paltrow on “Glee” too? Sound off!

Update: Thanks to our sharp eyed commenters  for informing me that there is an actual show titled "Confessions: Animal Hoarding." Consider that added to the DVR.

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. preservativo

Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog website? The account helped me a applicable deal. I were tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

September 14, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jan

It's hard for me to get used to seeing her dance and sing, so used to her great acting. Good luck to her, whatever her endeavors.

November 24, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Janine

I completely agree with you on SO many points it's ridiculous. I watched "forget you" about 100 times and even went to the karaoke bar down the street wasted and belted it out with my girlfriends while drinking from a parrot-shaped mug of Corona. PLUS I was SOOO annoyed with Kurt lecturing Mercedes about the boyfriend thing. He bailed on her to shack up with the bf and then lectures HER about replacing HIM with food (esp because he replaced her with his bf first)??! I can't stand people who bail on their friends after getting a boy/girlfriend then degradingly pat their friends on the shoulder and say "oh you don't understand because you're single, but you'll find someone eventually....oh! How about that black football player?!" UGH. I love Kurt, but really did not like him at all in that scene and thought him trying to hook Mercedes up with the other guy was just kinda rude on his part.

November 23, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Feeniegal

She has some awesome Agents and Managers apparently. I know she's doing publicity for her new movie, but I have to give props for them getting her on the CMA's & GLEE. I can't remember when or why I put her on my "don't like" list. However, I really enjoyed her on GLEE..**sigh** I really enjoyed it.

November 22, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. $SKOOL GURL$

They killed it braah !!!!!!! I mean she was sassy and stuff braah she had actually let them do dat new skool song f*** you that was great. braah she definetly gotta come back on the show again cuz she killed. Hey i wonder if they gonna do a justin biber show any time soon lol its gonna be great. I wonder who's gonna have the hair.

November 21, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hunny Bunny

I think Glee was ok and this is not the plc to be talkin bout everythings thats going on wif the Gay Community.Back to Glee I think Gwen was ok not the best but shes a beginning singer give her some credit

November 21, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Trace

Intolerance is a DISGUSTING shame especially in America. Additionally, being unsympathetic to death of any kind is worst and immature thinking. Compassionate children are disappearing and children are learning to survive by becoming people they are not.Advice to decent children gay or straight, is to Change schools, avoid being alone. Ridiculous. Bullys are rewarded, allowed to stay at their home schools feeling powerful and successful that they changed someone's life. I won't Bullied. Go GLEE!

November 20, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sidney

Enjoyed it thoroughly. Smiled and moved my head & feet in rhythm. Folks should ease up on Paltrow & see it for what it was suppose to be & was: ENTERTAINMENT.

November 20, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. myra

PALTRW HAS MATURED AS AN ACTRESS AND A GREAT ENTERTAINNER

November 19, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. not hope

It looks like the topic is about hope sorry hope time to change the subject. lets talk about immigration we need reform thanks hopeless illeagle immigrant. sorry for the spelling my english is not as good as my spanish but im learning.

November 19, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. michelle

Really folks live and let live

November 19, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. beebo

Hope, I understand what you're saying, but think about the VOLUME of shows that are on tv that bash people for being different. Think about how mainstream views 'different.' How many friends do you have that get beat up @ school, talked badly about or told to change or get lost, or are totally ignored by their families and the people that are supposed to love them no matter what? If you or 90% of your classmates went home and said you were religous, or you like purple, most likely no one would blink an eye. Yes, kids are bullied for all sorts of things nowadays, but bullies normally learn that words hurt and its wrong. My parents were progressive, but disallowed me from hanging out with gay friends outside of class, while they'd sit around and talk about how it was like being born with blue eyes or green eyes. Gays, just like people of color, just like powerful women, just like many other things in our society, will be brought to light, but in order to reduce shock to America, its being done very carefully,

November 19, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. me too

I only liked gp on frends as phebe and i love lopez more o que la

November 18, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. 69 4ever

she should sing purple rain any way i love george lopez just wanted to say

November 18, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hunny Bunny

Ok I love Glee and Gwen was actually good and as for the whole aguring about the gay drama I do think alot of tv shows do bring it up alot but if u cant except ppl and who they r and love then I think ur in the wrong time zone but then again thats my opinion

November 18, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jnyc

Gwyneth looked like she was having fun which is frankly what we all need to be doing in these stressful times.

November 18, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  17. to hope

Number 1 saying "all the gay drama" is offensive! Number 2 yes you are ALLOWED to have an opinion not "aloud" spell it right then you may have an opinion. The drama is all over every show it`s not just "gay drama"

November 18, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  18. Jester

The episiode with Gwyneth gave me a whole new appreciation for her acting. Job well done!

November 18, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  19. HOPE

I am sorry if I stepped on alot of toes with my opinion. I do look at people for who they are I have gay friends believe it or not and I love them. I just don't feel that this subject should have to be on practically every tv show you watch. I am sorry again for hurting anyones feelings. I went on a rant I shouldn't have and people do need to understand that we all don't feel that this is a regular way of life for most people because its not. Again sorry and God Bless you all.

November 18, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  20. Daniel

Can't we all get along!?!
    I guess I see both sides. On the one hand, I do think Hope's comments were a bit more than blunt & probably hurtful for some readers. There's a difference between "criticism" and hate words. And Hope, if you can't see person for who they are (not what they are) then I pity you whole-heartedly and I will be the one praying for you.
    With that said, I do believe Kurt and Rachel get a lot of screen time (and NO, I'm not trying to pick on the gay character or the character with two gay dads). I would like to see some of the more minor characters move beyond their static "sidekick roles" and play more vital roles & perhaps address other issues that teens (and adults) experience. But I understand that addressing too much at once will make the show feel more like an after school special. And I do respect the show for bringing to light what so many gay teens endur & I hope others will learn to accept one another. Ok, now I feel I'm just rambling.

November 18, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  21. KHall

P.S. I adored Gwyneth Paltrow. She may not have been perfect but she also hasn't been in the singing/dancing show business for very long. A little more seasoning and she will just continue to improve.

November 18, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  22. KHall

I can't believe Hope would say that!

Personally, I hated that that jock (I can't remember his name) threatened Kurt! That was scary! It reminded me just how scary high school can be for some people. I wanted to jump on screen and punch that jerk in his face for saying something so threatening to Kurt ... and I'm a girl! What the show demonstrated in this situation is something that actually happens to people. I pity those who threaten others because they're scared of what some people may find out about them. You are who you are or are you pretending to be something else?

November 18, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  23. Sarah

We definately need more shows with Brittney doing the robot. That was freakin great. Paltrow was OK, she surprised me, in a good way. I thought there wasn't enough student singing. Overall, great show.

November 18, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  24. kevin spacey

I liked her better in seven.....towards the end of the movie.....It was her best performance...
    i want my money back for bounce

November 18, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  25. Glenn

Full disclosure, I love Gwyneth. And I was worried that the hype over her guesting on Glee would overshadow the actual performance but I think she really shined. I wouldn't want her on the show all the time but I would totally like it if she subsituted again in a few months.

November 18, 2010 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  26. Thumper

I THINK HOPE NEEDS TO GET A LIFE AND STOP THE GAY BASHING.... AS FOR THE SHOW THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT !!!!! I NEVER COMMENT BUT THE COMMENTS HOPE MADE I CANT BELIEVE HOW IGNORANT SOME PEOPLE ARE. DONT LIKE IT DONT WATCH IT !!!!!

November 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • HOPE

Actually I do love the show and I am not Gay bashing I am just stating my opinion which I am aloud to have. Just stating an opinion, so many others state there opinions all the time you don't see me commenting a bunch of times on everyone elses post. But hey who is the ignorant one now you commented just like everyone else because you got bent out of shape over something I said.

November 18, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • HOPE

OH and by the way people bash christians all the time and you can't take a little criticism yourself. Seems like alot of people on CNN comment boards can dish it but they can't take it. SO sorry:( cry some more.

November 18, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jesse

You people who nit-pick this show to death are exactly the reason why good things never last. Try to enjoy a relevant, culturally-hip TV show and quit being a bunch of Massengills...

November 17, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Donald S. Shebib

I am not a Gwen Paltrow fan (movies) but last night she rocked. Her character was well written, she delivered her lines with clarity and power, showing emotion when required. Her singing isn't gonna knock Reba or Jennifer Nettles off the charts but very good for a newbie. She's learning from her husband, Mr. Coldplay. She was actually better than Annie Lennox (one of my faves) who croaked out a couple wimpy songs on Dancing with the Stars. Paltrow should seriously look at being cast in a TV series. Heck, maybe even Glee.....

November 17, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Steve

The only thing that bothers me about Glee (and the "Singing in the Rain" mash-up was a prime example) is the way you never see an entire dance routine from start to finish. They are always HIGHLY edited bits of dance "moves" that are syncronized with the music. Don't get me wrong... the dance sequences are FUN to watch. I'm just not sure anyone is really dancing. It looks like a lot of very cool dance moves edited together.

November 17, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • FYI

Your "prime example", Singing in the Rain/Umbrella, was actually featured in its entirety. Yes it's true that many of the songs they perform are edited for time purposes, but there are still many songs that perform in their entirety on the show.

November 17, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven Wine

I think you missed my point. Yes the song was entire if you shut your eyes and listen...the whole song is there. It's just that the visuals are made up of hundreds ,probably, tiny short clips. There's an illusion of dancing but it's very hard to see the dancing. I'm not complaining about the show at all. It's just an observation. I think Glee is THE best show on TV right now. The ideas and writing are EXCELLENT.

Hope=Hopeless

November 17, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Patricia

amazing! i didnt like her before,but lover her now.Singing in the rain mash up was awesome!

November 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Steve

Yeah, I think there is an attempted suicide episode in the offing. I'm thinking it will be the bully but what if it's Kurt? It will be a tear jerker for sure....just like the one where Kurt's dad had the heart attack. Almost cried myself into dehydration!

Hope...Oh Hope, Hope, Hope: "I hope the death threat means Kurt will go away" ? !!! Really?!!! I can't believe you would side with the bully after all the suicides of gay students in the news lately. Might think about changing your name from "Hope" to "Dispair".

November 17, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • HOPE

Actually people are bullied everyday for many different things so Gay people are no exception. Sorry if people for any reason think that they need to commit suicide to me that seems to be the coward way out. I feel sorry for no one who thinks they have to commit suicide instead of dealing with issues that alot have already delt with. As far as someone stating before about it being 2010 and me being narrow minded actually I am not I have my beliefs and yall have yours. We are never going to agree on this subject so time to move on.

November 17, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Dan

I loved it. It appears Ms. Paltrow is doing more than dabbling in the music field. Who could blame her? I mean after you've won an Oscar at such a young age you might look for other hills to climb. She appears to have a firm footing on this one.

November 17, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Stratt

Thought Paltrow did infuse the episode with some good moments but I think in a few months everyone will look back to this episode for one not so subtle moment that will likely become a major plotline......

And byt that I mean, who else thinks that Will's ex will be back in a few months with an acutal baby bump??? Bueler? Bueler? Anyone?

November 17, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  34. mark

Gee Hope...found your comments terribly offensive ... why dont you buy a clue and realize this is 2010...stop judging..and accept people as you would like to be accepted..narrow mind and all...

November 17, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Holly Holiday

I liked it...I liked Gwynnie much better than Terri! She should be a regular! Her singing and dancing was fab!!!

November 17, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  36. sunshiyn

Loved loved loved gweneth! Loved the singing. Loved the dancing. Totally agree with the other poster on having JT on Glee!!! He is amazingly funny and talented!

November 17, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Nisha

Yes Animal Hoarders is an actual show. and I don't like Paltrow much but I think she did an ok job on the show. Her lincoln impression was quite hilarious.

November 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Victor

For someone who has not had a lot of experience singing, I think Mrs. Paltrow did an admirable job. The whole show was fun.

Sue becoming the new principal was kind of a shock. Definetely will be interesting to see where that goes.

The bully death threat feels to me like foreshadowing of a future suicide. This guy is seriously twisted up inside and I think he's going to end killing himself, unless Kurt finds a way to help him out of his very tight closet.

November 17, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  39. comment

people who keep bashing on her singing and dancing need to lighten up. for an actress who no one ever thought could sing, she's actually pretty good. no one is saying she's the best ever, but i'm sure she's a lot more talented than a lot of the people hating on her. also, as for her dancing, one person can't be amazing at everything. i never expected her to be better at it than the regular cast, but she put herself out there and did her thing, so i totally appreciated that and enjoyed it. i'd like to see those who have negatives comments about her to sing and dance like that.

November 17, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  40. sodaksunshine

Publicity stunt gone bad... Enjoyed the music as usual but agree w Kammy, the cast outshined Paltrow like sunshine to a lit match flame.

November 17, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  41. DougB

Hope: If you don't like the gay drama in Glee, then stop watching it.

November 17, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Hope, your pretty much a bigot and an idiot. "Put him in the background where he belongs...."Are you serious?!?

And as far as being shoved in your face... the jock part and the resurant scene was what a whole 3 mins of the entire episode?

The GLBTQA community is probably the biggest collective group watching glee.

So like DougB said above don't watch it if you don't like it.

November 17, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Obviously, a gay person speaking is being "thrown in your face".

November 17, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • trish

seriously Hope??...these are things that kids are dealing with every day...There are gay kids in every school in America...kids are being beaten up and harassed and some feel there is no way out other than suicide...and you think he should go in the background "where he belongs"...that is AWEFUL...I think his role in the show is vital, not just for kids out there stuggling with the same things, but for bigots like you.

November 17, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  42. MeNBe

When are they gonna have Justin on? Come on ppl..lol

November 17, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • trish

if your talking about Justin Timberlake, then I'm totally on board....justin beiber on the other hand and I don't think I could bring myself to watch...that would be TORTURE....!!!!

November 17, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  43. MeNBe

I didn't like it at all. I like Gweneth as an actress and went into watching the show totally open, but it did nothing for me. Sorry Gwen:(

November 17, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Heather

I had never seen an episode of "Glee" until Tuesday night, and I must say, I was actually quite impressed. I couldn't believe Paltrow's voice! I very much enjoyed my first episode. Also, great article, thank you!

November 17, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Kammy, San Juan, Trinidad

I must have watched an alternate Glee last night. Gwyneth has always been and will always be grossly overrated as an 'actress' and dare I say 'singer' (barf!). Her stiff 'dancing' and mediocre vocal abilities leave much to be desired. The fabulous Catherine Zeta Jones and lemony Rene Z are laughing; in fact, they're still laughing at that entirely goofy spoof (it can't be called a performance since it was so Punch and Judy-ish) of their perfect rendition in the movie version of Chicago. The Umbrella/Singin in the Rain mash up was really good, but that's because the other performers' more than ample moves covered Gwyneth's feet stomping and umbrella, ella , ella, swing. Glee's forcing each episode to be better than the previous one instead of following the shows heartstrings – the underlying issues that all teens face and the very grown up issues most adults face. Instead, what we're getting are staged performances that are somewhat supported by a waning plot line. Glee, where'd you go?? I MISS YOU

November 17, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Glenn

It wasn't supposed to be a straight-up copy of the Chicago performance. You have to take the fact that this is the same woman who talks about LiLo in Spanish class and wears a Mary Todd Lincoln costume to teach History.

November 18, 2010 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
  46. Sean

I'm so in love with Ms. Paltrow after last night's episode. She was hilarious and she did a great job with the musical numbers. I especially loved her Mary Todd Lincoln impression when she was teaching History xD I really hope she sticks around for a few more episodes.

November 17, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Treva

she was HORRIBLE! I like Gwen as an actress but did NOT like ANYTHING she did last night. they had to jazz it up by making her sing a controversial song (that we all know the lyrics off) and with other to pull it off. Her dancing was stiff and looked uncomfortable. last night's show was one of the worst ever. There is a BIG difference between being able to sing and being able to carry a tune. Gwyneth is definitely the latter. Her voice was thready and weak. You could see her struggling to keep up in every musical number she did. Plus her acting was HORRID. I loved Gwen in the movie with Michael Douglas but this was NOT the place for her. I always like the guy who plays Mr Shuster, but I wasn't giving him credit for how naturally he did the routines. I now see the difference.

I must applaud Gwyneth’s PR people, they are really on it. She sings live on the CMAs and performs on Glee just before her country music movie comes out. Great timing!!

November 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

Thank god, there is finally one person who I agree with! Treva, I'm with you on every word you said. The Cee Lo song was so terrible it was laughable.

November 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • team gwyneth

What planet are you from? She rocked last night and I thought it was one of the best episodes this year so far. The movie A Perfect Murder & Glee are 2 different types of acting. I loved her in that movie, but it was a breath of fresh air seeing her in a different role. She was also a singer in the movie Duets. If she is that horrible, why does she keep getting offers. I see a huge success for her on Broadway that could surpass her movie career.

November 17, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  48. DougB

Gwyneth ruled in last night's episode! I loved her, her character was hip, yet vunerable, but funny (the Mary Todd Lincolin thing was hysterical). I thought she and Shue had good chemistry. It all came together, the storylines, the one liners and music. The resturaunt scene with that purse was funny. I also liked how Mercedes was helped out of her shell by Kurt. The one concern I do have is the death threat Kurt received from the Bully, I wonder where that is going? Overall, this Glee episode was a winner!

November 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Sasha

I am not sure if there is a show called animal hoarders but there are many shows on Animal planet that touch on it including animal cops. This ep was awesome, been singing Forget you all day today. Gwyneth gave it her all and she Rocked what she had! Noticeably missing from the group numbesr appeared to be Rachel's voice. In fact the whole epsiode was very teacher oriented. Holly singing forget you, Shue singing then Holly singing with Rachel, then the group number in which the only voices you can hear are Holly's and Mr. Shue. But all and all still an incredible episode!

November 17, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  50. eveblackwell

Animal Hoarders is a real show on Animal Planet; which sadly makes that less funny. I totally agree with the review of Paltrow; less so with the fact checking.

November 17, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Molls

I know right! I thought the exact same thing! Get it straight before you post something, CNN.

November 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wow Molls...

Relax. Let's not get so angry.

November 17, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melbyee

She was awesome!!! You're right....it was a FUN episode, worth watching again (and again...and again...) =>

November 17, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

While she was very good last night, I didn't enjoy the episode as a whole. It seemed, from start-to-finish, a tribute to the talents of Gwyneth Paltrow. Not a single characters story line made any progress, nothing about the show changed. The only reason I knew it was Glee, was Rachel whining about Sectionals. Outside of that, last night's episode was just a "special guest for the sake of a special guest". That's usually when shows Jump the Shark, but I hope this was a 1time fluke for the show....oh wait, almost all of the special guests have been pointless to the show.

November 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |