'Terriers': The best new show you're not watching
November 16th, 2010

'Terriers': The best new show you're not watching

I started off this TV season with high hopes for a bunch of new shows. Two months later, I’m down to just one: "Terriers." It’s the best new show of the fall… but I might be the only one watching it.

Here’s the two-sentence lowdown: Hank is an ex-cop and recovering alcoholic. He and his partner Britt are low-rent private investigators who often find themselves in just a little over their heads.

There are just two episodes left in the show’s first season, and it may not be back for a second. So why should you be watching "Terriers"? Glad you asked, because I've got five reasons:

First, it’s a cop show that’s not a procedural. (OK, PIs technically aren’t cops, but work with me here.) Read that description again. Screams crime drama, right? Every episode is a stand-alone with its own case? Yes, that happens sometimes, but there are longer story arcs at work, too, and they don’t wrap up cleanly at the 55-minute mark of every episode. Plus, the show spends as much time focusing on the personal lives as it does on the crime stuff.

That brings me to reason two: This is a drama… and a comedy… and an action show… and it’s good at all three. Not to be too cliche, but you’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll come back for more. Or at least, I did.

Third, it has a good pedigree. Executive Producer Shawn Ryan is the same guy who brought us "The Shield."

Fourth, the performances are outstanding. Donal Logue ("Grounded for Life," "The Tao of Steve") gets top billing, but Michael Raymond-James ("True Blood") steals most scenes as Britt, an ex-thief and pseudo man-child. Britt’s girlfriend Katie (Laura Allen) has put together some powerful scenes as she struggles with her commitment to Britt, but even she’s been outdone by a storyline involving Hank’s sister, Steph (Karina Logue – yup, Donal’s real-life sister). I won’t spoil it for you, but at the conclusion of that one... well, let’s just say there was an overabundance of dust in the room.

Finally, and most importantly, this really is the best new show of the fall TV season. It’s well-written, well-acted, well-paced, and… I don’t know a better way to say this… it feels REAL. You know these characters, you can relate to them. Plus, the show’s an original. In a fall when shows based on movies, retro programming and Twitter feeds have all been picked up for a full season, an original show that’s this good deserves some attention too.

"Terriers" airs on FX Wednesdays at 10 p.m. Catch it before it disappears, and maybe help keep it from disappearing.

1. zendexwo

Media Buying Handbook – Searching for to understand about affiliate marketing. Well here is your best bet. Media Buying Handbook

July 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ellie

so disappointed to see the end of TERRIERS..I started from episode one because of Donal Logue..he never disappoints! wow! this was a quiet "little" series shot in a sleepy little beach town near my area..loved the storylines and intricate relationships..it was a refreshing contrast to the bloody,shoot em up, needlessly violent crime drama/cop shows I usually watch..Hank & Brett had the potential to be the next modern day Sherlock & Watson..FX loses on this one..They pulled the plug on Damages too..shameful! I was a huge Shield fan and love Timothy Olyphant and Walt Goggins in Justified. Rescue Me? never missed an episode...etc..Good writing and casting are a rare commodity on American TV drama series (the Brits have it all over us)..I will mourn the loss of TERRIERS..

December 10, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chris

I agree. This is a great show with a good cast, writers and plot. It's always got some plot twists that keep it very interesting. Another show I'm going to miss.

December 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tommny

i usually see it on demand so i wont get interrupted by the commericals. fox count the demands to get this show on tv for more years.

December 2, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Paul

needs to be renewed, c'mon, man!

December 2, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Neech

Best new show for sure! I am really hoping for season 2!
    Part of the problem is not enough publicity, so thanks for the article!

November 19, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Beth

Here, here! You said it right. It feels real. I feel like I know these characters and like them! And they have a great chemistry with each other. I am definitely hooked and hope it gets picked up again. Come on Fx!

November 17, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dan

This is the best new show on TV. The characters feel like real people unlike most other shows on TV. I look forward to watching it every week. Low ratings aside, it should be picked up for another season, so it has a chance to gain a larger audience.

November 17, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. Roger

Terriers truly is the only show I look forward to watching every week. The chemistry between all the actors translates to their characters. I feel like I could stop in Ocean Beach and really run into Hank and Britt. I love this show!

November 17, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. James

If this show gets canceled, it will be because the bickering between Fox and Dish kept the show off the air for a month. I can only imagine that the ratings have had to suffer because of this. As far as quality, it is my favorite of the new season as well, but then I've been a Donal Logue fan since his days of doing promos for MTV as the crazy taxi driver guy!!!

November 17, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. Wayne

No, no, no- you are NOT the only one watching this show. I've been watching it from day one and I am hooked. This is BY FAR, the BEST NEW SHOW ON TV THIS SEASON. The quality of the storylines are superb and the acting is the best you'll see on tv right now. The characters are distinct and interesting; the two lead characters have such a great rapport with each other that I could watch their banter for an entire show. More people need to watch this show. It's that good.

November 17, 2010 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. D

eh the show is alright compared to the other crap on TV

November 16, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Danielle

I think the show is pretty good even though I only saw one episode...it lands on my work nights unfortunately.

November 16, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Keep Terriers!

Love this show – we haven't missed a single episode! How do we keep it for another season?

November 16, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chris G

Absolutely great show that has kept its quality through the season so far. If anybody watches it and then stops, I would LOVE to hear why.

November 16, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  16. SM

LOVE this show. I almost didn't start watching it, but it's turned out to be one of my favorites this season. It's just as good as "Justified".

November 16, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  17. popgirl

This is my favorite show on tv right now. Smart writing, great dialogue, real chemistry between the actors. Please, oh please TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO WATCH IT! It would be criminal for this show to be cancelled due to low ratings. It is stellar!

November 16, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Travis

i completely agree! this show is probably my favorite out of all the new shows that have come this Fall. This and Detroit 1-8-7 are must-see.

November 16, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |