So how is 'Conan' doing in the ratings?
November 12th, 2010

So how is 'Conan' doing in the ratings?

It has been a good first week so far for “Conan.”

According to TBS, Conan O’Brien’s new late-night talk show averaged 1.5 million adults in the 18-34 demographic and nearly 2.2 million adults between the ages of 18 and 49 for the week. Overall, the average for the week was 2.9 million viewers.

Those numbers helped the debut week of “Conan” to attract an audience with a projected median age of just 32 for the week, the network said.

“We’re thrilled that Conan and his team put together such a smart, funny show,” said Michael Wright, executive vice president, head of programming, for TBS, TNT and Turner Classic Movies (TCM).

“We couldn’t be happier with the great response from his fans. 'Conan' is a big hit among young viewers, with a median age that is more than two decades younger than the show’s rivals on broadcast.”

According to Deadline.com,  Leno averaged 3.9 million among total viewers for the week while Letterman drew 3.7 million.

TBS is owned by the parent company of CNN.

1. wilis

The fact is Connan's numbers are strong enough to secure sponsorship; that's what it’s alllll about... the make or break of it! He doesn't need to beat Leno to keep his show. Sure everyone loves the boast of being on top; but, if only the top-dog was lord and master, there would only be one late-night show. Besides, the way statistics work, things will likely normalize over time; O'Brian will be at the helm some days, some weeks, and he will fall below the norm others. The gurus will find the guests that are hot for their target audience… all will be well for the twilight trio. If you are looking for a funny-guy hero; look at the reflection in the mirror when you first get out of bed.

January 20, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. conanrules

does it occur to anyone that a lot of conan's demographic doesnt have cable but downloads the shows? just sayin.....

December 8, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike D

I laugh more at Andy then I do at Conan. Conan is silly and I can see how people don't like him, but Geogre Lopez is god awful. Every joke is mexican related. And how do some of you have Internet but not TBS.

December 2, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. bcat79

Conan is awesome. I love his silly, witty humor, he is just my stye. I call him switty. I am tired of the nut jobs who can only criticize everything in life. If you don't like him, don't watch him. Why post here and make yourself miserable complaining ad nauseam. Habit? Find some other fun, go slow down traffic.

December 1, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Conan Rocks

Wow, lot of trolls here (or probably more like 2 with multiple names). We all know cable is not network. That's like saying a guy making donuts in Nebraska sells less than a guy making donuts on Times Square in New York, therefore his donuts must suck. Get a life idiots.

November 28, 2010 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. john

i don,t think conan is funny give it up

November 26, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. R from NY

Conan uses clown humor which consist of funny faces and pantomimes. It's funny once in a while but like in real life, if you watch a clown perform every night it gets tiring. Conan does however have the best sketches and skits but I have to wait out his horrible monologue every night to get to it.

November 23, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RlCH

i do not have nothing against conan but i constantly have to state my subjective opinion on what i believe is or isn't funny and keep coming back to see if anyone has responded.

November 17, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. scott

Liberal stooge? Better look up the defiition of Liberal, dude. He is a conservitive in political terms and a comic genius in funnyman terms. But then u probably are another OBot keep drinkin the coolaid it has cianide in it.
    Scott , nashua

November 15, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Truth

Conan is a liberal stooge, who is just not funny. I think he will be done like dinner by New Year's.

November 15, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rich

The only thing that will make Conan's ratings go up at this point is if he announces that this will be his last week.

November 15, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Iowa Fan

Way to go Conan! America is so excited ted to have you back doing what you do best.

One sugggestion....ditch the scruffy beard look that reminds of your post Tonight Show break-up moarning phase. America wants to see you triumphant and victorious. You will always be THE tonight Show host us. The lingering scruffy look gives the impression you are still wounded and pining over theTonight Show. Your fans want to see you conquer the bad guys...get a razor ASAP and return to the polished, endearing funny guy we all love. Lingering bits of bitterness (real or perceived) are not funny, YOU are. Love you!

November 15, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. scott

Ferguson nonologue funnier than Conans? No way. The only reason Fergy is remotely funny is because he acts like he is on crack. At least I hpe he is acting. His bits often do not have any basis of reference to anything at all. And his punchlines crash n burn most of the time. Conan schools Fergy in both these areas. Go Conan!!
    Scott Nashua NH

November 15, 2010 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. brian

Letterman is the king!!!!!!!but dude conan is going to eat leno 4 lunch

November 15, 2010 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. scott

Dear M
    You are a clueless wonder. Conan is more in tune and funny than Leno or Letterman ever were.
    His opening monologue are at once creative and hilarious to those who are not mentally challenged such as yourself.The part where he always has two different people standing by the camera guy And he messes with them, THAT is funny. But stiffs like you simply don't have the mental capacity to get that creativity.
    Keep up the great work Conan and if anything use stiffs like Mr M to make fun of.
    Scott Nashua NH

November 15, 2010 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  16. KG&GG

My late night favorites are Jay Leno and Jimmy Fallon. Both have earned my respect. Young folks, wake up and smell the home brewed coffee! We "older folks" are very attractive to advertisers. We have lots of disposable income, the mortgages are paid off, and we are very loyal viewers!!! BTW, don't count on us dying off any time soon. Most of us have healther life-style habits that you "young uns.". I predict Jimmy Fallon is the future of late night" Signed: Near 70 year old great grandmother!!!

November 15, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  17. Russ

Sorry Conan funny looking is not funny for long! Funny for long ha ha ha

November 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Greek

Conan never had the balls to call nbc out, all the great ones go against the est status quo, Pryor, Carlin, Martin. So why would anyone think he is funny when he's proven what a puss he is. If you like Conan, you are used to failure and following the pack and not a Leader. Johnny, set the bar, Dave is close, Jay is a spineless copycat, and Conan is copying the later 2.

November 14, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. manny

Those who don't think Conan is funny most likely have low IQ's. He is not funny to you guys cause yur dumb dumbs....

November 14, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Heartconan

I can't believe no one mentioned how DVR use probably impacts Conan's numbers. I have to get up at 5am for work so anything that starts past 1030 at night gets DVR'd so I can watch on the weekend! I have 3 episodes of Conan to catch up on!

November 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  21. dax

Craig Ferguson.
    /thread

November 14, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Matthew

Conan Sucks!!! JAY RULES!!!

November 14, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Pat

i have been watching the late night shows for 40 Years ,to me the guest quality has gone down alot.not funny or smart.

November 14, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. whatev

Leno and Letterman are the "classic" latenight hosts. Conan has never been funny to me. For me its Jimmy Falin all the way!! Jimmy rocks!!

November 14, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jerry

I never liked conan in the first place.his first show sucked bc he really didnt talk as much as jay.he might have made 2 or 3 jokes or what he thought were jokes.in the end jay is the best.i try watching him every night after the news if i can stay awake.

November 14, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  26. anthony

If conan can't win the first week with all the hype built in for the first show, then forget it.there is no way he can ever win again. Just plain and simple.I don't hate him, I tuned in least to see what he can bring in to the night show..the fact is that what I like may not be what someone else like .he is ok but not as funny as jay.hu. an argue he been better than Dave , at the end I feel Dave is better. So why the fight. I like the three but jay is a better comedian.

November 14, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  27. Rob

Conan is both hilarious AND original... I always knew what was gonna be on Leno 2 weeks in advance by listening to the Howard Stern Show, except that Leno would water it down, and remove 90% of the humor.

November 14, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  28. wwjd

i am in the 18-34 age group and don't find conan funny i would rather watch leno or letterman their at least funny enough to watch and what they acutaly makes sense wherers conan is just stupid and makes no sense

November 14, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  29. Chris Izzi

Conan`s viewers will not die over the next 5 to 10 years. TBS knows it`s stats

November 14, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Rich

You're right! They'll probably die within a year from his insanely unfunny humor.

November 15, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  30. marisa83

I liked it better when they both were on NBC but I do think Leno is much funnier Conan tries too hard

November 14, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  31. Bill Kilpatrick, Lakeland, Florida

The challenge is not to do a better talk show. It's to reinvent the talk show, which has become practically moribund. Shiny new sets, video inserts and goofy skits are the icing on a cake baked with dirt and Ex Lax. There's nothing less compelling than the inevitable chore of settling down to watching a man at a desk interview a celebrity in a big chair. You can upgrade the band and the picture behind them, pull a stunt and throw on a bow, but it's still the same tired format invented more than fifty years ago. Even Jack Paar isn't looking down any more. He and Johnny have changed the channel.

November 14, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  32. david williams

Hey, old does not mean dumb.I like Conen too, saying I'm dumb a,d don't get him Is dumb. Watch Jay Walking and tell why those kids he talks to never know anything?

November 14, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  33. chris

Conan is a hemorrhoid. craig fergueson is not. in your pants!

November 14, 2010 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  34. Monico Capone (check me on facebook)

CONAN IS A BEAST

nuff said

November 14, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  35. Sheila

On cable, they pop the champagne if your ratings are anywhere near 1 million. Over 2 million? SMASHING success. It isn't necessary for cable shows to have the big ratings that networks have to have. The overhead and profit share is simpler, cheaper. Conan is actually MORE successful than Jay right now, when you compare apples to apples.

November 14, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  36. Lee

The funniest thing about Conan is the shape of his head and his and his hair style. Can you say awful? This show is lame. Lopez's show is more exciting and he has guests on his show that all genres of people can recognize. I had no clue who his first five guest were by name.

November 13, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  37. jay

I wish I could watch conan but I don't have cable. Love the guy!

November 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  38. sunless

see better that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM !!!!

November 13, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Jrock

The problem is Conan has too young of an audience. Most young people do things at night, yes even on weekdays. They catch it when they can but not regularly. When his demo gets to an age where they have careers and are winding down at night, we'll see what happens. Point is, he's ahead of his time. Just a thought.

November 13, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mike C

I think its great that Conan is back on TV – the only shame was that he had to wait 9 months. Great new show with the old Conan back! Ratings a better than decent – I'm sure where ever Conan is he is smiling.

November 13, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Smiling because he has also bumped a late-night host out of the way...yet it's ok when Conan does it. What goes around comes around, I guess. TBS stands for "Too Bad, Sucker." A shame for George Lopez to get shoved aside as though the minority demographic doesn't matter. Of course he said he doesn't mind...we'd all smile and make nice for Ted Turner if our job depended on it.

November 15, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  41. celebs911

Conan O'Brien's son Beckett turned 5 at the same time his dad was relaunching his TV show. Nice timing..and hopefully with lots of luck.

November 13, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Pinky

Someone made the comment that Conan was on cable and that makes a difference? Look at the cable ratings for ESPN for a football game–11 million plus viewers; Disney's Hanana Montana 4 million plus; History channel 3 million plus; AMC 3 million plus. We can find the shows we want to watch on cable no problem. Bottom line is more people wanted to watch Leno & Letterman. Conan's purported fans had better things to do.

November 13, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Pinky

Gee, Leno & Letterman both blew Conan out of the rating game. I thought since this was Conan's debut he would be pulling in the viewers–guess he really isn't all that popular. Or the young ones who the studios put so much emphasis on don't really watch TV like us ol' folks–and they don't have any disposable income to speak of either. Those 18 – 34 yr olds either moved home or are being subsidized by mom & dad.

November 13, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Rachel

Conan is on almost an hour earlier than Letterman or Leno, so I don't know how you can compare them, they
    are all good, none excellent.

November 13, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  45. mp

Conan is funny enough. He's on TBS not the network. If he was on ABC he would probably beat out Jay and Letterman.

November 13, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  46. HeavyBreather

I would suspect that network TV ratings would be higher because you have to pay for cable. Either way Conan is hilarious.

November 13, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Dan

What were Rick Dees ratings last week? Leno really blows and Baba Booey to you all!

November 13, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  48. captkbpb

Conan listens to guests and is quick with a joke. Craig Ferguson does the funniest opening monologue.

November 13, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  49. who carers

Damn blackberry cares is what I mean . Conan should not make millions nor should a bunch of other people the little guys make this country we keep this up I hope these people can build houses ect . Something has to give

November 13, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  50. who carers

He has red hair he is doomed plus anyone who works has to sleep old people stay up and they will not watch him

November 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  51. doobee

correction....weird!

November 13, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  52. doobee

Alexandra, it's wierd, not weired.

November 13, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  53. South Texas Fan

All u Conan haters really suck! Why can't you just admit that he is a comic genius? I'm not saying he's better than Leno or Letterman but he's earned his spot right next to them. Plus being younger than the top 2 dogs, he has more time to grow even more stronger & better. I enjoy watching his show very much. VIVA CONAN!!!!!

November 13, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Oz Randall

Who Cares? Here we go again, worrying about multi-millionaire TV talk show hosts who could give a crap less about any of us. I do not wish Conan any bad luck, but as far as to whether he, Leno, Letterman, Fallon or other rich talk show hosts fail or succeed is an AMP (ain't my problem). They all have egos higher the tallest building in the world and act like spoiled 6 year olds with their complaining and whining. Give them some cheese to go with the whine. If I was holding a multi-million dollar contract, especially 34 mil., I could give a crap less about what anyone thought about me or some frigging ratings or bloggers. Laughter is a great medicine, and a lot of times we can get it from good friends in lieu of being midnight vampire followers for rich folk who does not even know we exist, least of all cares about us and unfortunately trying to relate to them as if they are family or our next door neighbors or friends. Wake up America and get a life, our own.

November 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  55. doug kleinheksel

When is chappelle coming out of retirement. That guy is funny

November 13, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Just Sayin

If there's one thing that history has shown us about Television/Talk Shows is that many of the most popular shows started off slow with average, at times underaverage ratings. No doubt Conan has to compete with Leno and Letterman but any host can generate high ratings. The key to their success is maintaining the fanbase as well as the ratings. I think Conan will do well.

November 13, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  57. woo hoo

WHO CARES.. thats why there are soo many different people on late night television! Wouldn't the world be boring if we were all exactly the same! Conan is in it to have fun, if your not a fan there is a simple solution.. don't watch. I'm not a huge fan of Leno, but thats just my preference. I am not saying he is not funny, I just don't prefer his style of comedy.

November 13, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  58. Stoner

Conan rules fallon sucks hard leno sucks harder Letterman is real enough always has been. Anybody remember Carson he pretty much had it figured out then but how would he do now? We only had 4 channels to choose from. Conan is KinG o the bunch. We should all get Conan tattoos. YAY Conan is back on tv!!! I'm 45 and it hurts;(

November 13, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  59. QB Mark Sanchez

I love Conan!

November 13, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  60. michelle

Conan I LOVE YOUR SHOW SO GLAD TO SEE YOU ON TV DOING YOUR THING I CAN'T WAIT SEE WHAT NEW THIS YOU BRING TO TNT I STOP WATCHING THE OTHER SHOW LOVE U CONAN U R # 1...

November 13, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  61. Animal Abuser

November 13, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • cricket

hey..get a clue..you are exactly the kind of Conan viewer nobody can stand, immature sarcastic not funny

November 15, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  62. Melanie

I'm 29 and I've never thought Conan was funny. I guess it's all in the type of sense of humor you have. In my opinion, Conan has an immature comedy style. He makes a lot of noise and it reminds me of an 8 year old. He makes jokes while he's interviewing people to the point where it seems like he's interrupting them. I don't like Leno or Letterman either. I guess I just watch for the guests.

November 13, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  63. aj

True, he had a lower number of viewers overall, but if the demographics are to be believed, the viewers giving Leno and Letterman the advantage will be dead and gone before long.

November 13, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  64. cathy

What about the 50+ age group? Conan makes me laugh more than the others. Thought the show was great and hope he does well.

November 13, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  65. Bparis

Besides being funny he is intelligent.
    You cannot ask for anymore than that as fas as I am concerned.

November 13, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  66. kokopelli808

ratings matter more to the sponsors than the audience. considering there are 5-6 late night shows right now i think Conan did great. especially since hes on cable which is a smaller draw. some of the best shows right now are on cable.

November 13, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  67. interweb

what about internet streaming numbers? I doubt many people watch leno online the next day! Many young people in the target demographic like my friends and i cannot even afford cable, but keep up on shows via the websites and hulu and such. Those would be relevant numbers imo... Cable and the tv box are on their way out. Younger people watch stuff online nowadays.

November 13, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  68. Allen78704

I will NEVER understand why people like Leno. Corny jokes you can see from a mile away, softballs to guests, and the funniest part of his show are "man on the street" bits....NOT him. Conan is smart & quick...Kimmel is too. Both of them have an awareness the others simply don't have.

November 13, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  69. peg

If you dont care then dont post.

November 13, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  70. larry

Conan had a good week dats all i have to say.

November 13, 2010 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  71. A Craig Ferguson Fan

Who really cares? Am happy for Conan after that LOSER LENO backstabbed him but THERE'S NO ONE FUNNIER OR MORE REAL AND SPONTANEOUS THAN CRAIG FERGUSON! !!
    I HOPE CRAIG STAYS RIGHT WHERE HE IS AND FLYS UNDER THE LATE NITE WARS RADAR.
    THESE TV EXECS SHOULD BE POOR AND FORCED TO WATCH THEUR OWN CRAP TIED UP IN A CHAIR!! Ill Rico or stay up for Craig and enjoy 90% of what he does!

November 13, 2010 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  72. kryswithak

I'm happy for Conan. I think he's a cool dude. He's funny and kind of socially awkward. It works for me. I've NEVER liked Jay Leno because he's corny and more often than not his jokes produce a slight grin but not actual full on laughter. I don't watch Letterman mostly because I'm from LA. I like to keep it local. Personally, I Jimmy. Jimmy Kimmel rocks my socks! He is freaking hilarious, witty and extremely quick. He's awesome. Apologies to Matt Damon. We ran out of time.

November 13, 2010 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
  73. Krook

Conan and Andy are the best and always will be!

November 13, 2010 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  74. Lenny Fontana

Well why come no one is even saying how Conan brung Andy Rischer back as the partner host? That's pretty cool. Way more cooler then both of the regualr tv guys. Plus once we all telll everyone what's goin down for seeing Conan gettin ratings first.

November 13, 2010 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  75. Bridgette

Conan is def. entertaining! If he wasn't then half the ppl on here bashing him wouldn't take the time to do it. I see no problem with Letterman except his creepy sidekick Paul and Leno is just creepy on his own. Craig and Conan are my latenight "drug of choice"! To each his own...unless your choice is Leno in which case your wrong.

November 13, 2010 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  76. JONNY B

I just don't get it....doesn't anyone else notice the stench of rotting meat consuming the air in your room when either Leno or Lettermen are tuned in on yer set???

November 13, 2010 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  77. Seattle,Wa. Fan!

First, I'm so happy Conan is back! But, why is he not on tonight, Friday 11/12/10??

I think he needs to loose the beard, the back drop is terrible, and stop talking about The Tonight Show. Just be Conan....! That's why I watched before and that's what will keep me watching.

Also, please drop the whole "Basic Cable" idea. It's not working! And rename the band. And I think you'll have a hit!!

November 13, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  78. Me Conan

Hey fellas.
    I thank u all for ur support.
    We rock and tbs is rocking hard!!

November 13, 2010 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  79. Jacinto

Craig Ferguson. No one else.

November 13, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  80. Kash

Watching Conan is like passing a kidney stone. I love the comment we're NO. 3!!!

November 13, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  81. TheFanNJ

Conan did well for cable televison less of an audience– because of how a small population has cable. Yet, on Neywork Televison you are getting a greater audience in very populated are. What are the chances of all 6 million NYC viewers will watch one show. And it was local, give him time when his show go nation because its cable. He will be reaching more people than Leno and letterman comined.

November 13, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  82. Jennie

Conan is funny if your IQ is higher than your waist size. That pretty much kills it for Leno's old hillbilly audience who need something to help them fall asleep.

Also, nobody has mentioned the comedic genius of Craig Ferguson. I love that guy!

November 13, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Lynn

My IQ is 138 and I find Conan juvenile and completely unfunny. My preference for late night hosts is Craig Ferguson. Have his show set in the DVR and watch it the next day with my teenage daughter - who by the the way has an IQ of 142 and finds Conan boring and stupid.

November 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Ferguson

Sorry, not my cup of tea.

November 13, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  84. Kim

He sucks, always has Sucked, always will.
    It's funny that people find him funny
    Only the 18-32 yr olds like Him, us older folks know he is not funny

November 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Andy

I am a huge fan of Letterman and Lenno, but now an even bigger fan of the more relevant Conan.
    Conan and Jimmy Fallon are the new leaders...stay tuned all you nay sayers!

November 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  86. JR

None of them are funny

November 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Kimberly

I'll watch old re-runs of Benny Hill before the schlock that these over-paid comedians with over-inflated egos, put out!!!

November 12, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Bizzy

his ratings dont surprise me because when he was on network and even when he did take leno spot he bombed...that's why they took him off the show and brought leno back...but I want to see the ratings of what Lopez did during that time frame before they gave Conan his spot...plus what did Lopez do after they moved him...that will tell all the difference...but Conan do your thing hope it all works out

November 12, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • jon

He didn't bomb... his viewers the last month he was on were higher than leno now..

November 13, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Rich

That exactly the definition of bomb. The big explosion before non existence due to extreme sucking....as compared to fissle.

November 15, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  89. Spear D

Conan is hilarious, Leno was great 10 years ago, Letterman I can stand, Kimmel is the best, Fallon is 3rd behind Conan. Conan did the best with young viewers. Which 5-10 years from now those viwers will stil be watching. Young people are what create money, we are the ones who buy such things as merchandise and what not because were still kids and dont have priorities. And thats why Conan will be #1 after a while and will be for a long time. Peace to your mother, Im out.

November 12, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • CreakyOldMan

You youngsters with yer foldin' money! Leave some consumeristic retail trash for us old fogeys who forgot how to get them newfangled dollar "bills" out of our buffalo-skin wallets. Who is "Bill" anyway? Oh Martha Mae, hand me my pills. I think this is the big one.

Are you really that stupid?

November 14, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  90. LinYann

Hi~I tuned it last week because of all the hype. Conan is NOT funny. I got bored, plus his guests for the first week stunk. Seth Rogan for the 1st show? Please!! Letterman is the man :).

November 12, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Chris

Oh and there isn't anything less funny than a grown man giggling at his own jokes. Leno sucks and allways has.

November 12, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Chris

We support you Conan, you still are the funniest late night host since Carson.

November 12, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  93. EG

Conan is hilarious! It's much tougher for him to bring in the same ratings as Leno or Letterman who's shows are on channels that everyone and their mommas get! Conan on TBS bringing in these numbers is awesome! I too agree that after the first week, it may die down a bit... But oh well, he is still much funnier than people give him credit for!!! Why else would he have been a writer for SNL or the Simpsons? What NBC should do now is kill off that damn Jimmy Fallon show! If it weren't for the Roots rocking out every show, it would be unbearable!!! Wait, it still is! God aweful Fallon!!! He must have known someone in the BIZ cause he ain't funny!

November 12, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  94. monstermash

I love Conan and wish I got TBS but I don't, so, I can't watch his new show. I don't like Leno and I think Letterman is WAY past his prime. Jimmy Kimmel, I do like him. Conan is the best though!

November 12, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  95. tas11

Gjtm

November 12, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  96. YouEffinCrzy

I fail to grasp how anyone could argue Conan isn't funny. I think he might offend a lot of older viewers and perhaps his comedy is also a little over there head. It's a natural occurring thing, one day I'll be old as dirt and my kids will call me out of touch with whats funny, but why I'm young I suggest that the older demographic stick to more important broadcast such as Dr. Oz and whatever trash Court TV pumps out on a regular basis.

November 12, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny Carson

Conan's "comedy" is not over anyone's head. It is so low that we get the joke before he is even done with it and it is already not funny. And he is not young by any stretch of the imagination. If the younger demographic thinks he's funny it's because they're too young to know it's already been done before. Conan just does random stupid stuff in hopes that "funny" will be the result. We will all watch him fail again.

November 13, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • ED

HA, HA, HO, HO,....HI_OOOOOOOOH!!!!!

November 13, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • enough23

Sorry you effincrzy! Conan is not funny. He is a pathetic excuse for a comedian. All the silly stuff that he does to get laughs makes him look even sillier. I am an older person, but there are young people who agree with me. The guy s not a comedian. He's just nuts!

January 28, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  97. patty

Leno Rocks!!!

November 12, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Adam

I can't stand Conan! I'm only 28 & to me he isn't funny he's just stupid! I don't know who's worse: Conan or Letterman. When he took over the tonight show I knew it was only a matter of time before he was kicked off the show. HE ISN'T FUNNY!

November 12, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • ok

Thanks for sharing, not that anyone cares. Don't watch the show, its not that big of a deal.

November 13, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
    • trudie

Amen I cannot believe anyone thinks this man is funny, He is stupid, i wish somone would tell me what is funny,

November 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • joan

You're right trudie someone should tell you what's funny, 'cause clearly you have no idea LOL

November 14, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • cricket

omg.. i have been saying that 4 years..not funny

November 15, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Rich

Agreed. They guy just isn't funny.

November 15, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  99. mtownschnauzer

Once the shiny and new car smell wear off, all you will have is a junker on the road to nowhere. Conan is mediocre at best and anything more is out of his comfort zone.

November 12, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  100. efin

his Thursday show was great. I like the hoarder.

November 12, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Jroll

His ratings were higher among people 18-49 and 18-34. Learn the business

November 12, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Joe

Its like apples and oranges. The demographic is much younger then the other two. This is huge for promo and marketing purposes. Companies will pay alot of money to reach age groups that buy their products. Jay bombed at an earlier timeslot and thought conan could be expendable. Think 5 years in the future and see who is around. Nuff said.

November 12, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Mike Baldwin

The Deadline numbers for Leno and Letterman are for LAST week! They are the nationals and have nothing to do with Conan's numbers this week. Do some research CNN!

November 12, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  104. M

I'm sorry, but Conan just isn't funny. I think many people may have tuned in to see what he would say about NBC and Jay Leno. Heck, I tuned in to see what he'd say. And it was the same result: unfunny. Jay's show is on it's last legs, too. However, Conan and his fans just don't want to face the fact that NBC and it's affiliates realized he wasn't bringing in viewers, and they made a business decision and dropped him from The Tonight Show. It's business at the end of the day.

November 12, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • lps

yeah, I watch Conan because I don't want to face the harsh truth that he wasn't bringing in the viewers.

I'M SORRY, he IS funny.

November 12, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • BT

NBC doomed Conan's show when they split the audience by giving Jay his earlier show. When Leno took over the Tonight Show not everyone accepted the change at first, but over time he grew his audience. NBC never gave Conan a real chance. Instead, they gave in to Leno and his insufferable ego at every turn. Here's to hoping the Tonight Show fails.

November 13, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Emily

Leno being on earlier was the reason Conan didn't do well on the tonight show in my opinion. What NBC didnt care to think about was conan's potential in the future. With his hold on the younger market he's going to have life long fans for a really long time.

November 14, 2010 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
    • NB

The reason NBC put Leno on earlier when he left the Tonight Show was because NBC didn't want him going to another network. NBC's greed is what created the mess last year. 5 years before when Conan was renewing his contract for the Late Show, Conan threatened to walk if he wasn't guaranteed the Tonight Show in 5 years. NBC pushed Leno into agreeing to that by giving him a prime time show. Both shows tanked, and NBC tried to be greedy and keep both Conan and Leno again. But Conan didn't like that arrangement, so he walked.

November 14, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

@Emily. The lead in theory has been debunked. The Jay Leno Show started 3 month after the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. Before the Jay Leno Show even started Conan's ratings had already dropped by 50% so how could Jay be responsible when he wasn't even on the air yet??? You're just trying to blame Peter for the failures of Paul.

You're another deranged Conan fan who is in denial. If Jay was on earlier from the outset and there wasn't a 3 month period in between then you could have argued that nonsense, but Conan's ratings NOSEDIVED BEFORE JAY even was on the air.

You need to go back to the drawing board and concoct some new hypothesis in your quest to blame Jay for Conan's failures.

November 15, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  105. LS

Glad to see he's back. He may not get the ratings like the big networks, but he's doing very well so far.

November 12, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Conanfan

I doubt anyone would tune in "just to see if he would bomb." That's a sad mentality to have, if you're hoping people will fail. I think he had an excellent first week, and he had hilarious interviews with Jon Hamm, Tom Hanks, Julie Bowen, Michael Cera, and others. He's a great crowd pleaser and always has fun, and his guests and audience have fun too. I think that's extremely important. And he is on cable- no one was expecting him to beat Leno and Letterman- but he did for one sweet premiere!

November 12, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lenofan

Although I'm a Leno fan, I like Conan too. I can't see why I can't have them both. BTW Conanfan, where did you see them say that Conan beat Leno and Letterman in the premier. I did not see that info. Certainly not here.

November 14, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • get a clue

You didn't see it here? Then google it, his premire beat Leno and Letterman. Duh.

November 14, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

Yep he beat Leno and Letterman on the 1st night. But the average for the first week was 30% lower. That shows Conan's viewers dropped like flies after checking out opening night. The only thing that kept the drop from not being 50% was the first night. Watch, next week Conan's ratings will be close to half of Leno's and Letterman. And for those of you who keep talking about cable vs. network, the vast majority of TVs in this country are now connected to either cable or satellite. TBS is a channel that is included in all channel line ups, even the basic. So most people have access to TBS. They just chose not to watch Conan.

November 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • crazypersonsaywhat?

it's like real estate location, location, location. even if people have cable and TBS is accessible, how many people peruse it? fOr know on what number TBS is on? the major networks ate always in the first 10 numbers of your tuner and most people usually scan through those forgetting cable especially prime time and after. So that's still the difference between network and cable, it still counts.

November 14, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • cricket

nope. he didn't. you google it

November 14, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

"No one was expecting him to beat Leno or Letterman"????? Are you serious. Most of the seemingly deranged Conan fans out there were bragging about how he would beat Leno once he was back on the air. The only difference between now and then is that reality hit them in the fact and they realize that regardless of how vociferous the were they are an insignificant minority that's been largely ignored by the viewing public. Their call for a boycotts were ignored. Their 5th grade schoolyard lambasting of anyone who did not share their bland (to the point of torture) sense of humor was also ignored.

November 15, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  107. Conan

He might have lower ratings due to the network he is on as well!

November 12, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

And thus begins the rationalizations. Hey here's a simpler and more accurate explanation. Conan just plain sucks in the humor dept.

November 15, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  108. Mark silvers

Who hoo! We're number 3!

November 12, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Logan Howlet

I am sad to see conan did not top the charts, but he is on cable. Hopefully he gains momentum.

November 12, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Karl

I like conan he's different from all the others and that's why i like to watch this -true talent!..Hope his show will be on cnn (hd) in the uk -soon...Looking forward!.

November 12, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Oscar the Grouch

Conan's only dream is to cash a check and after his over hyped debut week numbers we 30% lower than his rivals he may not be cashing very many.

November 12, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Johnny Carson

It will all be downhill from here. These numbers only represent the pre-debut hype. Many of these viewers may have been tuning in just to see if he would bomb. After the initial hype dies down, his viewership will plummet. Why? He's just not that funny.

November 12, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama

Yup. His alter ego is the most annoying thong evar!!

November 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

HA, HA , HO,HO...HI_OOOOOOOH!!!!!

November 13, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Marie

To Johnny Carson (you wish) That's what they said when Conan started his own show waaaayyy before he did the Tonight show. The Critics said it wouldn't last a Season and were shocked when he built his show up and went on to be the most watched, funny and loved talk Show and Host with his demographics for years and years. They actually apologized for the horrible reviews they gave him back then. He did it his way and it worked. }:-P"'

November 15, 2010 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Rich

I don't have anything against Conan personally but professionally I don't root for him just because of his sheer hypocrisy. He coveted another man's bread and butter and went after it Gordon Gekko style i.e The Tonight Show and it came back to bite him. His ratings dropped 28% from his first night to his second and seems to still be dropping by week 1's end.

I really think Conan's fans delusionally think they are more important or hold more influence than they really do. They were trying to blame Jay Leno for Conan's poor ratings (the "lead in" argument) when Conan's Tonight Show ratings dropped by over half even before The Jay Leno Show even came on the air Three months later. Yes they were actually blaming a show and a guy (or at least trying to) who wasn't even on the air (i.e. didn't exist) for Conan's abysmal ratings. That's called delusional.

Then they would then concoct every ludicrous rationalization requiring logic gymnastics and convoluted differential calculus to try to explain Conan's Tonight Show low rating except the obvious truth which was that for the majority of the late night viewership Conan's humor was not funny. Notice I'm not saying Conan was not funny (since that's a matter of subjective opinion), but that for the majority he wasn't.

Then Conan's fans started attacking people who sense of humor wasn't similar to theirs. Personally I find Conan silly and nonsensical in the humor dept and never illicits a reaction of laughter from me

NBC decided to give Jay's gig to Conan and then decided to give Conan's gig back to Jay. The only difference was that Jay was a gentleman when it happened to him and Conan was a whiny beeatch.

November 15, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  113. alexandra

Conan better beat those old farts that dont even know what funny is anymore. at least conan has a humor that alot of people dont understand but is funny. leno with his weired laugh and letterman with his utterly annoying band leader are old and too 1970. way to go conan keep on being ur weired self dont let anyone steal ur dream! lol

November 12, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Brian Garrett

All that press and his numbers were still short of letterman and leno...

November 12, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

Conan is on cable, Leno and letterman are on network. It makes a difference dingleberry.

November 12, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zach

CJ I love that you called him a dingleberry. mad props to he who calls out the poo that wont drop

November 12, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Conan said his goal for "Conan" was to have fun and do things his way. If he wanted Leno type numbers, he could do a Leno type show. Plus, Conan rules the numbers for 18-34, which also happen to be the target for advertisers. What do numbers matter if you are having fun, getting paid well and raking in the commercial cash.

November 12, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • DK

I always thought he was a bit gay anyway.

November 13, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

CJ, isn't Jon Stewart on cable?

November 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

@michael: "What do numbers matter..."??? Are you serious??? Numbers (or lack of them) is what got Conan canned from NBC in the first place and what will get Conan canned from TBS in the near future. Gosh are you people really in that much denial??

November 15, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Keri

Conan IS after all on Cable. Not EVERYONE can afford cable and a lot of people have to watch it online. I have to wait till the next day most of the time to watch it. All I have to say is that I love Conan and he makes me laugh EVERY night! I don't care if you like Leno. GO AHEAD AND LIKE LENO THAT IS FINE! We all have different styles of humor, nobody needs to bash anyone because they like a certain comedian!TEAM COCO!

November 26, 2010 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

@CJ

With all due respect, TBS has been a part of basic cable for ages. This means that anyone who currently has cable has 2, 4 AND TBS. The myth of "cable vs. broadcast" doesn't hold much water anymore.

Second, Conan was fired from NBC for poor ratings–make no mistake. The fact that Leno was hired back and the ratings instantly went up was not a fluke. Hate NBC and Leno all you want, but if you were running a network that had to compete with 300 billion other channels, you'd want the program that rated the highest.

November 29, 2010 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |