Miranda and Blake: Country's new golden couple?
November 12th, 2010

Miranda and Blake: Country's new golden couple?

Move over, Tim and Faith. There's a new golden couple in town, and their names are Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton.

On her 27th birthday, Lambert picked up three trophies at "The 44th Annual CMA Awards," while her fiance walked away with two. They're also the first real-life couple to be crowned female and male vocalist of the year since Faith Hill and Tim McGraw in 2000.

"I'm so excited for Blake. I can't even be excited for myself, and I mean that," Lambert gushed to CNN after the show, her blue eyes misting over. "He is an amazing singer. I hear him on records, I hear him in the shower. I hear him all the time and I know how great he is. It's about time people noticed."

Although Lambert's wins for female vocalist, album of the year (for "Revolution") and song of the year (for "The House That Built Me") were not unexpected, Shelton's triumph for male vocalist was an upset - but one that was met with a lot of support from his peers, judging from the hearty cheers that went up inside Bridgestone Arena Wednesday night. Brad Paisley - who had won the award for the past three years and was competing against Shelton - was one of the first to applaud.

"I wanted him to win," Paisley confided. "He's had a big year. He deserved that. He's also never been awarded much. He came out before my first single. I'm so proud for him."

Shelton's wins come on the heels of last month's induction into the Grand Ole Opry.

"Heck man, I've been luckier than most people will ever be," said Shelton. "I've been successful in country music, but when you think that for whatever reason, you're not going to be one of those celebrated artists in Nashville, you kind of put it out of your mind, even though you want that. And then all of a sudden, out of left field, all those things come at you at once, when you thought they were gone - that's pretty cool."

Lambert brushed off talk that she and Shelton were the new queen and king of country music. "That's so weird. Tomorrow, we're going to go back to our regular lives. We're king and queen today, but tomorrow, we'll be in the woods somewhere - hunting, probably. When all of this goes away, we want to make sure we still love each other."

Shelton shared the sentiment. "If I would have met Miranda and I was a roofer again, I would have fallen in love with her that way."

"This was the best birthday ever, probably in the history of birthdays," said Lambert.

"Miranda's having her birthday party, which at this point, is going to be very interesting," Shelton predicted. "There's going to be CMA trophies shattered on the ground by the end of the night, and birthday cake smeared across people's faces, and serious, serious liver damage before the night is over."

Meanwhile, there were CMA post-mortems all over town Thursday morning. At Noshville, Music City's "authentic New York-style delicatessen" (according to its website), a waitress weighed in. "I'm so happy for Miranda," she said. "Her dad comes here all the time."

Kid Rock walked in, semi-incognito with his long hair tucked inside a knit cap. After the CMAs, Loretta Lynn had come backstage, telling CNN, "I love Kid Rock. I do!" When informed of the unsolicited shout-out, the rocker smiled. "I love her, too," he replied. "And you can tweet that!"

Half-an-hour later, Kenny Chesney strolled in, talking on his cell phone. Acquaintances congratulated him on his CMA performance the night before - but it looked like he was already onto the next thing.

1. Deb

Sorry, there's no comparing Miranda and Blake to Faith and Tim. Faith and Tim are in a league of their own. . . . classy!

February 28, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Downtown Printwear

Happy Birthday Grand Ole Opry! http://bit.ly/hBUgQL

December 10, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Norma Dell-Castillo

In San Antonio Blake Shelton played at a resturant named County line and proceeds went to the food bank. At this time he was just starting out. Future up and comming country artist you just new that he would be and I followed his music ever since.You know that we will see more to come from this wonderful couple because there heart and soul is into country music. Congrats on your awards!!

November 15, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. cjngrl

Blake is a wonderful singer. Miranda, on the other hand, must be keeping Autotune in business, because she can't sing live at all. I have seen her live twice, once on her own WAY before her Blake days, and once when Blake dragged her out during one of his shows, and she was awful both times. The first time I left after 2 songs. The second time I swore I would never go to another Blake Shelton concert as long as he was with her and she was hanging around on tour with him. Looks like he lost a fan.

November 15, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Monico Capone (check me on facebook)

OMG they looks so cute but not as good looking as me

November 14, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. Lyra

Yes. Agree.

Do we have here another bad couple in the makings again, the likes of Tanya and Glen?

We all know what hapened with those two.

Amanda and Blake. Beware!

November 13, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Scottsdale, az

Not being a country music fan, I did indeed watch the CMA show the other evening. Never heard of Miranda nor Blake before either. Yes, they have nice voices , but they both will never be in the same class of Faith and Tim.

First of all they are still young and have a lot of maturing to do if they want to be the golden couple otherwise the CMA's will never accept them.

They need to develop more class and stop acting like a couple of wild hillbillys.

November 13, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sunless

see better this http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM !!!!

November 13, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |

Nice to see
    Blake win....
    Mirandra can
    really SING...

November 13, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Kevin T. Baldwin

We've been here before – Google Glen Campbell/Tanya Tucker ;-)

November 13, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. Nikki

You are out to lunch to compare this couple to the amazing Tim & Faith, first of all when Blake was still married Miranda got caught by his wife on his bus and thus ended his marriage to the woman who stood by him,helped him more than most would have she was a wonderful and true blue wife!! As for Miranda she just killed a baby aligator so she could have a new jacket the video with them laughing is on you tube. Also to give her album of the year was absurd listen to the lyrics, gonna smoke some cigs,get drunk, shoot him dead with my shotgun, oh ya and also setting them both on fire, nice for kid, great example, two cheaters who in my opo can't carry an entire show heck check out some of the reviews, when she was here more people left then stayed and alot of people complained it wasn't worth the money, fact, personally I think album should've gone to Carrie, George or Dierks, but they play games the cma's are fixed these days and all the fans know it. As soon as she gets caught cheating or he does that'll be it and it shouldn't take long. As for Blake winning male vocal I laughed out loud, honest good grief Reba and Norville must need the money cause that's who got them their awards and everyone knows it. I was pleased with Brad's win it was a legit win well deserved as was Zac Brown. But we all know that I Need You Now should've won, as ofcourse shouldv'e Brooks & Dunn, Nashville your trullly loosing alot of the class you always had and I hope you can find it again, really to even acknowledge this couple is a total joke, as are they, Blake is nothing but a foul mouthed imbosile, as for Miranda, well she'll show you all just what she is, remember once a cheater always a cheater, oh gain a cpl of lbs see how long he sticks around lol................

November 13, 2010 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
    • jim

dont know where you get your info....the Inquirer maybe....but u need to get spell check installed

November 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

That time babe? have a couple of midol. but first, tell me where i can blast me a gator and get me a jacket and i'll put a slug in that gators noggin fast:)

November 15, 2010 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. D

He better not cheat or lie....we all know what she does when that happens....crazy southern woman...

November 13, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  16. garn grim reaper

congratulations damn kudos Wayne Newton no no the movie has to have a sad ending and live to getthere hole lives and show how
    they get married good for the kids disney and every one in the movie sing a song and lives happy ever after the end

November 12, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. amber lee

Wayne newton, you aint smart, nor funny. anyways, blake & miranda have both been on fire all year, so they are very deserving! & i love all the greats out there, but its always nice to have fresh faces! tim & faith are awsome, but its cool that blake & miranda have sort of become the next golden couple! & of course she would love him if he was just a roofer, she puts up with his crazy tweets lol! ( i couldnt be as laid back as her about the tweets) but thats what makes them perfect for eachother:).

November 12, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Steven

Man these two are finally getting the praise they deserve.

November 12, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Leah

So happy for Miranda and Blake! They are both so talented and it is really special that they get to be having these career milestones together. I've gone to their concerts for years and their chemistry on stage and off is always great!You know that these two are going to go the distance together!!

November 12, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Karen

I love both Miranda and Blake. I was rooting for both of them. It was definitely their time! I'm so happy for the both of them!

November 12, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Wayne Newton

Yeah, sure he would have loved her if he was still a roofer, but she wouldn't have loved him.

Kenny Chesney, using his cell phone to call ghey chatlines.

November 12, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |