Robert Downey Jr. lends voice to Mr. Peanut
November 11th, 2010

Robert Downey Jr. lends voice to Mr. Peanut

He's played icons from Charlie Chaplin to Iron Man, and now Robert Downey Jr. is taking a crack at Mr. Peanut.

In a groundbreaking new commercial for Planters Peanuts, Downey lends his voice to the monocled, leggy legume, marking the first time in history that the character - who was introduced in 1916 - has ever spoken, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The 33-second ad features the top-hatted Mr. Peanut throwing a holiday party and giving tips for the perfect celebration. "Just serve classy snacks, and be a gracious host," he says, "no matter who shows up."

That's when a nutcracker named Richard arrives and the room falls silent.

"Hey, sorry about last week – I don't know what got into me," says an uneasy Richard as Mr. Peanut turns to reveal a bandaged fracture in his head.

But will Mr. Peanut forgive and forget? View the video to find out!

The new Planters ad, which premiered online on Tuesday, is set to run in theaters and on television.

1. marquee.blogs.cnn.com

Robert downey jr lends voice to mr peanut.. Not so bad :)

April 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sxycindy

You took the words right out of my mouth Moi. Well said.

November 12, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. captainkok

Fisting dogs

November 12, 2010 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. moi

Everyone makes mistakes. Are you a drug addict? Perhaps your child is, friend is, or neighbor is. Don't they deserve a second chance? He paid his dues, so get over it.

November 11, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mayu

That's cute

November 11, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Zorro

If you had made mistakes in your life and then made amends for them, would you wish to be accepted and valued? Try it on.

November 11, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marco555

Well now that Downey's living a clean life, maybe he should have his agent do the same.

November 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lilblue

i just saw the ad on tv.my son and niece found it hilarious.and it made me want some nuts.good job planters.

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. rudy

Hes a cool guy.

November 11, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Do as I say, not as I do

What has this world come to, where we will take a wholesome and time honored American symbol like Mr. Peanut, and partner him with the likes of convicted felon Robert Downey Jr? I know others must be thinking this also, so There, I said it!

November 11, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • ningy

Do as I say and not as I do ... I guess your the living saint we have been all waiting for!! With a user name like that I really wonder about your issues!

November 12, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. irv

Good thing rod d. don't think in $ he thinks like a artist cause he gets calls all the time to do things 4 $ and he do what he like! hes got the money. this is 4 fun! why hate!

November 11, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. robbluc

I'm Ironman.

November 11, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. robbluc

Yeah. I'm in a dumpster with RDJ right now...oh and its a gold plated dumpster!

November 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. robbluc

Celebs do lots of crazy ads overseas...this is nothing new. And when someone talks smack about RDJ, look in the mirror you bunghole. And if you're asking why this is news, check your bunghole, you bunghole.

November 11, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fricsaid

I gotta hand it to ol' Bob. To have been thru the crap he has been thru and come out smelling like a rose, he's gotta be doing something right. I hope to see more of him. :o)

November 11, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. E

anonymous

Wow new low for Robert. Guess he doesn't have enough money doing all these big budget films. Has to start advertising for Kraft. Guess he's a salesman/actor. Hope that Kraft check is worth your dignity.

Yeah... since advertising money is nothing, right? Come on! Right now, Downey is on fire so why not strike while the iron is hot? You'd be amazed at how many big celebrities will do ads even when they're careers are doing very well. It's easy money.

November 11, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. EmeraldCity

That is one smokin' hot peanut I'd like to snack on.

November 11, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ningy

I must agree on being one hot peanut. I wonder if he wouldn't mind showing his peanuts to me in Canada :) I think he is so adorable!!!

November 12, 2010 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  18. anonymous

November 11, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  19. roger kaputnik

What's next? Mickey Rourke doing the voice of Mr. Happy Crack?

November 11, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mr. Brownstone

The junkie Downey should be in prison, not making millions.
    Gee kids, your hero Ironman once woke up in the neighbors kids room after a bender. Let's not forget the Palm Springs dumpster episode....
    Hero....I think not.

November 11, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Havok

He seems to be recovered given his recent string of success. So calling him a junkie is a little harsh. Also, who ever said he was a hero? Tell your assisted living nurse you need another injection. Jesus.

November 11, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • ningy

Your perception in life is distorted if you think that an actor making a living is a hero... Movies are for our entertainment their personal lives should be left alone... I bet you still believe in the Easter bunny too!

November 12, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  21. peanuthead

I am sooooo excited for this commercial, I may blow my my exterior shell off!

November 11, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Joe

Wasn't Clooney doing the Mr Peanut ads?

November 11, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Lady Gag

I jes love me some RDJ, he's intense

November 11, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  24. GREGDISCO

I bet if we had a dollar donated every time someone here at CNN wrote "IS THIS NEWS?" we could cut the budget deficit in half within a year – these friggin' idiots need to stay on the main page and avoid all the entertainment and celebrity news. Bravo by the way for Downey who despite drug addiction and depression was able to make a comeback and is still on a winning streak – nice guy too!

November 11, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • hamchuck

Greg, you shouldn't be here. Rational belongs somewhere else. Go away. ;)

November 11, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  25. tex

Wow. He's good though

November 11, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  26. tammy droog

Why cant people bring the jobs back to michigan

November 11, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arizona Buckeye

Why don't you put down the bong and realize you're in the Entertainment section not the political section.

November 11, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. ja

Why is this news?

November 11, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

Why are you in the "ENTERTAINMENT" section looking for news? If you want news, go to the politics or justice section.

November 11, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Havok

Why are you reading the "Marquee Blog" looking for legit news? Dismount your high horse and walk it over to the "Politics" section where you can mount said steed and gallop to your cold heart's content.

November 11, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • oldguy

this is ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

November 12, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  28. Maddy

Who would have thought this guy would do half this much in his career after all the trouble he had in his younger years? Maybe one day he could be the President of the United States...

November 11, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  29. DP in PS

Is that Mr. Peanut's husband standing next to him in the commercial just before "Richard" shows up? Well, must be they live in Massachusetts since there is all that snow around. Well good for them, and a huge BRAVO for the Planter's Peanut folks for being so open minded. My husband and I will serve nothing but...at our holiday party this year.

November 11, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |