Portia DeGeneres open to 'Dancing with the Stars'
November 11th, 2010

Portia DeGeneres open to 'Dancing with the Stars'

Could Portia DeGeneres (formerly Portia de Rossi) be one of the next to dance "with the Stars"? The actress told Ryan Seacrest that she’d be open to showing off her moves on the hit ABC show.

While chatting with DeGeneres about her new book, “Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain,” on his radio show, Seacrest mentioned the news that "Dancing with the Stars" producers are "planning to feature a same-sex couple for next season,” and that DeGeneres was at the top of their list. (The Israeli version of "DWTS" is the first in the franchise to feature a same-sex couple, and E! reports that the U.S. edition could make a similar move in the future.)

The actress, who wed daytime talk show host Ellen DeGeneres in 2008 and took her last name in September, was caught off guard but not completely opposed to the idea.

“You never know,” she told Seacrest, who admitted that he’d assumed DeGeneres would pass on the opportunity.

“I’m not going to pass,” DeGeneres said. “Let me think about it. I’m just saying – you know, I used to be a ballet dancer.”

If the 37-year-old star was to put on her dancing shoes once again, it would be the latest twist in a professional journey that she at one point thought she couldn’t have.

With her book, DeGeneres wanted "to show people how badly I suffered and how much I hated myself in order for them to understand that you can come a really long way and you can have a fairy tale ending," she told Seacrest.

“I feel like I’ve had a great career,” DeGeneres went on, “and being gay and struggling with an eating disorder, I didn’t think that either of those things were possible for me.”

DeGeneres added that these days, amidst the tragic stories of gay teens committing suicide, it's just as important as ever to send the message that “if you hang in there long enough, things can turn around and you can live a really happy life.”

Filed under: Celebrities • Dancing With The Stars • television

1. leisure

Pretty portion of content. I simply stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing for your feeds and even I success you get right of entry to constantly fast.

April 24, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Preparate pure din Romania

It's really a nice and helpful piece of information. I'm satisfied that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

November 17, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ana

The dance will lose it's meaning than.Portia is great and she can do the show,but woman and woman???What about tango,rumba,samba....it's going to ruin it's story as a dance!!!

November 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Simon

I hope Portia has more class than to appear on that show.
    The Israeli duo is horrible, they dressed like playboy bunnies and danced a very poor imitation of Sabra and Neil's routine from the show "So You Think You Can Dance". Please Portia don't do it!

November 12, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. vballgirl

OUTLoud....I can hear you quite loud and clear and you sound like a very unhappy person. I will pray for you:) By the way if you are trying to put me in a class called "Kool AIid" , thank you Kool Aid is sweet and I'll take the complement. However, I do love coffee and I am not sorry for knowing God or knowing that this is not something that he would approve of. I'm just stating my opinion and it is what it is. Let's be friends OUTloud.
    To all: Your right I do have an opinion right or wrong; I can only speak for myself, and I disagree with this lifestyle which is quite obvious.

November 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mel

Lets keep dancing with the stars for normal people. Gay people are not normal. I don't care how you look at it. I am sick and tired of all the shows that could have been good shows, had the writers kept gay couples out of them.If everyone would stop buying the products of the sponsors, maybe they would get the message.

November 12, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cameron

who the hell wrote this article, It was an interview with Porsha and they keep quoting Degeneres as having the eating disorder .and writing a book...pretty bad for CNN right?

November 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Froggy

Portia recently changed her legal last name to DeGeneres - stage name remains the same. Portia wrote the book about her life. CNN got the story right and even spelled her name correctly – now go wash the egg off your face :-)

November 12, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. El Jefe

How cute, she's the woman in the relationship...

November 12, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. rocketeer

@ lady gag (and the like):
    ...you cared enough to comment...should have checked that first before letting your idiocy and arrogance take over your brain...

November 12, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. Susan

If it's not broke then don't fix it. The ratings will go down for sure.

November 12, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sarah

People are born gay. Who gives you the right to condem gays. Certainly not God did not give you that right.

November 12, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. mom4MV

Gross-not.The holier than thou's that perpetuate the propeganda that being gay is bad should self reflect. "Bad"is a judgement and should be the measure of character and actions instead of orientation. If we are all created by a higher force,are you criticizing their work? Life is a gift,make the most of yours and let others do the same. We are in 2010 right?

November 12, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. booboo

All of you silly people opposed to this "gay" action need to quit being so ignorant. I'm gay from birth. I wasn't brainwashed by the media nor turned by any other influence. I came out when I came out of my mother. I say go Portia! and go every single other gay, born or not born gay. Life is full of choices and I guess one of them is whether to change the channel or not. Peace

November 12, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. meaella

Whoever wrote this should know that Portia only changed her name legally. Professionally, she still goes by De Rossi. Also, I would LOVE to see her paired up with Kym Johnson.

November 12, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. Carolyn

God doesn't teach respect, apparently.

November 12, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  16. Gillian

Hey! Have you heard that there is Cholera in Haiti and the place is a garbage dump with no funds arriving. Hmmm...many more important things to think about don't you think?

November 12, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  17. Craig

Wow, I love this idea! It is nice to see that some people have opened their minds and hearts to something that people cant change about their selfs. Although I am sure its more about ratings, two birds one stone I guess:)

November 12, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  18. Bristol Palin

I'll never dance with her! And so what if I'm only famous for being the unwed knocked-up daughter of a wannabe politician – Mom paid royally to get me on the show and keep me on this far, and after I win, that's it! NOW I'M A STAR – Matt Lauer, here I come!!

November 12, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  19. yuck

End of the show for this viewer then!! Makes me want to gag!

November 12, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  20. bludru

Who cares. At least it's not two dudes.
    I think she'd look hot dancing with Bristol Palin.

November 12, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  21. Steve Bradley

Lindsey Bluth Rules!!!!!

November 12, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  22. Mario

Read Romans? Rome was the San Francisco of ancient times with gay guys running rampant in bath houses all over the place, which is why I won't do as the Roman's do (when in Rome) LOL

November 12, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  23. Angie

I will stop watching DWTS. I lovethe show and vote weekly but this will end it for me. My young daughter watches it and I will not put myself in a situatuion that I must xplain why 2 women are dancing together. No thanks!

November 12, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Megan

What? It's obvious you disapprove of it, so why wouldn't you take the opportunity to explain it to her then how you want it to, instead of having it explained by her friends. Be active in your parenting, avoiding talking to your own kid about something is silly.

November 12, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  24. NYCgal

I think they should change it up a bit.

What you believe to be right is your decision and no one elses. And you can voice your opinion because that is what freedom of speech is for. I personally was always taught that a man and women were suppose to be together. But in this day and age that isn't the case anymore. (My stepbrother is gay. I may not agree with his lifestyle but that doesn't make me love him any less.) Yes DWTS will probably loose some of it's audience but then again they may gain viewers as well.

November 12, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  25. Jude

More power to them, but who cares. This is one of the stupidest shows I've ever seen. Not worth my time no matter who is dancing.

November 12, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  26. cindy

Barf

November 12, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  27. Bobbie

So, are they going to have straight people on 'SKATING with the stars'?!

November 12, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  28. Trey

It absolutely amazes me that whenever someone is trying to do something positive with their lives, there are always others lurking around to give their 2 cent negative opinions and then turn around and say " Well, God says..". Where in the NT does God or Jesus, for that matter, mention anything about gayness ? And if being gay is a sin and IF God sees all sin as the same, it's kinda hypocritical(lame) to throw stones at someone else when we sin everyday, whether intentional or not. Why not just say that you're not ok with the gay issue , keep it moving but try to get educated on things that you don't understand before you give an opinion that is clearly not yours. And I say that because everyone says the same thing, " being gay is bad". Well give me statistics, draw me a graph to show me being gay is as bad as you say it is. MOST importantly, give me scripture to back up your point.

November 12, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  29. vballgirl

What a disappointment, and bad idea! I definitely would stop watching the show all together, as I am sure many others would too. I am so tired of the bad examples we are setting for our younger generation, yes bad examples! For those who don't believe that there is anything wrong with being gay, that is your own brain washed opinion thanks to the government and media who give this life style thier top priority of approval. They have obviosly not come to know god or appreciate his views on this subject.

November 12, 2010 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
    • OUTloud

The only brain washing going on here is you believing there is a God or higher power that has any views on this subject. Religeon was created so that the weak minded wouldn't have a fear of the unknown and for rulers to control the actions of their people. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid and believe what you want to believe to make yourself happy – but please stop telling other people how to live their lives.

November 12, 2010 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Madame Rue

So, outloud, society has to accept YOUR views, but the heck with other people's, huh? I thought you were so liberal and open to all – guess not so much after all!

November 12, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  30. GreenTea

I would definitely stop watching Dancing with the stars. If you choose to be gay and go a different way than the normal way of life fine. BUT don't ruin my entertainment on tv with me having to see the grossness of your choice. Please don't disgust my world with your sin

November 12, 2010 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
    • hanumandas

Honey, people don't CHOOSE to be Gay!!! It's genetic!

November 12, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Vicki

I could not have said it better myself! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Dancing is such a beautiful thing between a man and a woman ! ! ! !
      Thank you Green Tea !

November 12, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  31. ckesling

portia, you go girl !!!!! more power to you. love you and ellen.

November 11, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mandy

The sooner that straight people realize that being gay isn't something "dirty", then we may see some normalcy in society.

November 11, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven Seagal

Funny – changing straight people so that things become "normal".

Also funny, when I imagine Portia and Ellen, it's very dirty.

November 11, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • cindy

It is disgusting, not normal no matter how hard society tries to make it that way.

November 12, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  33. Lady Gag

Checking to see if I care.......................No

November 11, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  34. James

I think it's kinda stupid to mess with the whole system. I support the gays but it would be an obvious ratings ploy and they'd likely be voted out early. Portia would probably be good at dancing, that's why if she did it she'd be better off with a man as a partner.

November 11, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Cathy

Go for it! Portia you are fantastic! And your book is beyond amazing!

November 11, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Fortune Cookie

I wondered how she'd be pair'd up with?

That'll be kinda hot ;)