Marie Osmond talks about the death of her son
November 11th, 2010

Marie Osmond talks about the death of her son

This year began with tragedy for Marie Osmond, who lost her son Michael Bryan in February when he committed suicide by jumping from the eighth-floor balcony of his Los Angeles apartment.

Osmond, 51, sat down with Oprah Winfrey for Thursday’s edition of “The Oprah Winfrey Show” to talk about her loss for the first and last time.

After an experience such as this, “I don’t know if you’re ever ready to talk,” Osmond told Winfrey. But she added, “I knew you would be the person I would talk to, and I just think, if anybody asked after that I’d say I talked about it on ‘Oprah.’ I didn’t want it to be handled crazily.”

And so the famed entertainer began to relive the painful details, starting with the phone call she’d had with her 18-year-old son the day before his death.

Although Michael had a tough childhood - he started abusing drugs at 12, Osmond said, which led to time in rehab - he was happy during the month before. Yet when Osmond spoke with him on the phone that day, he noticeably was not.

“It was concerning to me, because it was the first time I’d heard him start to cry and say that he was alone, that he had no friends and that he felt despair. When I heard that it brought up so many red flags for me. I said, ‘Michael, it’s going to be okay,’” Osmond recalled. “When I heard him say, ‘I have no friends,’ it brought back when I went through depression because you feel so alone…I told him, ‘I’m going to be there Monday and it’s going to be okay.’ But depression doesn’t wait until Monday.”

The next night, Osmond was performing with her brother Donny at the duo’s show in Las Vegas, and while she was getting ready to go back out on stage, Michael called her again.

“I was just running out when my phone rang. As I was walking out he called my daughter Rachel, and I said, ‘Oh good, tell Mike that I’ll call when I’m done.” Osmond said he called her around 8:45, 8:50 p.m., and according to the coroner’s report, he died shortly after, around 9:30 p.m.

“I believe in female intuition. I especially believe in mother’s intuition,” Osmond said. When Michael didn’t pick up the phone, “I knew something was wrong.”

By 2 a.m. that morning, Osmond had received word about Michael. The note that he'd left on his bed “basically said that he knew that morning was the last time he’d get up, brush his teeth, make his bed, eat breakfast. He’d made the decision I guess. That he loved his family, but the pain was so intense.”

Osmond said she understood the state of mind her son was in. “When I had post-partum [depression], I remember vividly driving that car and thinking… probably a handful of times, I believed that people would be better off without me. But it was my age that told me, ‘Marie you’re crazy.’ But kids don’t have that age behind them. At 18 everything is hopeless.”

It wasn’t the first time she’d seen her son battle through tough times; he'd attempted to take his life before.

When Osmond was doing “Dancing with the Stars,” Michael received bad news about some things that had happened to his family members (which Osmond didn't specify), and there were also the issues his mother was facing: going through a public divorce, the death of her father and custody battles. “He couldn’t deal with it; he loved his family,” Osmond said. “He promised that he’d never do it again and I believed him.”

Whatever he may have been facing that February morning, “I do believe that there are moments that you slip into insanity and you no longer think rationally. I believe that because I knew my son, and I believed that’s what happened,” she said.

With the recent press given to the stories of gay teens who have committed suicide after being bullied, there were rumors that Michael committed suicide for the same reason, Winfrey pointed out.

“My son was not gay,” Osmond clarified, adding, “It wouldn’t matter if he was. I have a daughter who is gay. And it was my daughter who was offended by it, because she was like, ‘what, all gay people commit suicide?’”

As for the youth who have died, their reason wasn’t “that they’re gay,” Osmond went on, “it’s the bullying. It’s the abusive, beating someone’s self worth down that to me is the cause of that.”

The Osmond family still talk about Michael and cherish their memories, she said. However, for the upcoming holidays the family will be in New York, where Marie and Donny Osmond will perform on Broadway, as a diversion from the reality that Michael won't be with them this year.

“I‘ve been through some tough things in my life, but this is probably the hardest thing I’ve been through,” Osmond said. And while there are always “what if’s” to ponder, “If you live in ‘what ifs’ you stop living,” she went on. “I had to put it in God’s hands. I have other children that I have to be strong for.”

Filed under: Celebrities • Music • television

1. Linda

i'm a mum, from the UK, with twin 16 year olds. I'm by no means poor but the one thing I value in life, is my girls. I know where they are, who they're with at any given time. WE COMMUNICATE and have awonderful relationship. i have to say, if one of my girls was in pain/trouble, i would know, because they would tell me. How can Marie honestly say "she was there for her son" Yes, suicidal people will fond a way but for the love of god, his last phone called appeared to be a cry for help. How can one live with themselves, knowing they should have tried a bit harder, been there for their child. As for going on TV and talking about it, this I will never understand – part of me would have died that day and talking on national TV would never be an optiion for something that is so very very personal. I hope this is a wake up call to all celebrities who put themselves first and their offsprings a very poor second.

November 18, 2010 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  2. sunless

see better that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

November 13, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sunless

you see that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM !!!!

November 13, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. celebs911

Reading this article it gives me chills. It must be terrifying not to be able to see/hear your child and to live with the trauma of not being able to help as a mom. We will make a post especially for Marie as it is a 911 situation.

November 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. iamanobuddy

Hello – the son was ADOPTED. Taken from the family he really belonged in and sold to a wealthy woman who was more interested in furthering her career than parenting a child suffering from severe separation trauma as a result of his adoption. Adopted kids get broken when they are removed from their parents and only a great deal of time, energy and love can alleviate the anxieties associated with that trauma.

Given that November is adoption awareness month, let's be aware: ADOPTION KILLS CHILDREN IN DROVES. Sometimes spiritually, sometimes psychically, and sometimes literally.

Babies are being bought and sold to women like Osmond every day: women who think a kid will make a nice fashion accessory for their opulent lives. They figure dumping them on expensive nannies is going to overcome the trauma. It doesn't.

Let's not forget what this is: another dead adopted kid at the hands of a narcissistic adoptive mother who put her own needs before her child's.

November 13, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. Wayne L

Please stop blaming the victim for what happened. Just because Marie Osmond is in the public eye, that doesn
    t make her a bad person or a bad parent. Suicide is not rational and there are plenty of psychiatrists, psychologists, doctors, and nurses who have had their child die by suicide–and they couldn't see it coming either. If a professional can't prevent it in their own family, how can you blame a non-professional for what her son decided to do. She did the best she could. I also would recommend that Marie Osmond contact The Compassionate Friends to be able to talk with people who have been there. All TCF support group meetings are confidential and other people in the public eye have attended.

November 12, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. frankie

She chose her career over her son when he needed her most.

God hates you Marie Osmond.

But then there is no god you worthless idiots.

November 12, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Shalisa

To all the negative people today...You have NO RIGHT to judge anyone else. We are all human and make mistakes. Even if she answered he would have still done what he did. And to say you don't feel sorry for a woman who lost her son no matter how he died is just heartless!!! People these day are too judgmental and about themselves. To Marie I am so deeply sorry to hear your story and I hope you can turn this into a positive thing for other young people.

November 12, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. SuzieQ

My brother killed himself Sept 21, 2008, on my 6 year wedding anniversary. I have no opinion on Marie's actions or inactions. But for me the idea that my brother would commit suicide was completely inconceivable, so I understand the power of denial. There is support out there. National Suicide Survivor Day sponsored by American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is November 20th. 270 cities will participate in a simultaneous broadcast for survivors. Look for locations and conferences near you at http://www.afsp.org. God Bless to all those left behind, those that are gone, and to those thinking these thoughts, please hang on and ask for help.

November 12, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  10. kathiee

For any parent, the most awful thing you could experience is the death of your child – no matter their age. The only thing worse than a suicide attempt is a suicide success. I am very sorry for Marie's loss, and I know her heart is broken. Reach into your faith and God will bring you through it.

November 12, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. Meryl

I can't beleive some of the comments about Marie Osmond's son, I watched the show twice I have considered suicide after losing my mom and them my husband in a short time, unitl you have experienced deprssion to the point of suicide you cannot be jury and judge and jury and decide that Marie Osmond loved the stage more then she loved her children she will have to live with this sorror for the rest of her life she has suffered enough and will suffer for the rest of her life my husband mom who is 88 years old had to bury her son my husband he did not take his own life but a mother should never have to bury one of her children, Marie Osmond should grace and she is a very classy lady to open up on the Oprah Winfrey show she could of chosen to remain silent, god bless her and keep her safe.

November 12, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. Donna Baker

So sorry for your loss :( Ignore the negative comments those people have their own issues to deal with If the shoe was on the other foot I bet it would be a different story God Bless You and Your Family

November 12, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. FredErick White

The ones posting messages that critique Marie on how SHE & HER family have had to deal with the situation are nothing more than cruel, judgemental and vile souls. She & her family remain human beings & she is a hard "WORKING MOM", if she were a waitress and had to finish her shift prior to leaving her job to go home to her son – would you have been so fast to pass judgement? Possibly not! She is a dedicated mother who teaches her children that one must remain loyal to commitments. If you believe that she placed her job (carreer) above the love for her family – then you obviously did not watch the painful interview she gave to Oprah. I believe God has a plan for all of us while we are on planet earth and only God is the force best capable of judging our actions while on this planet. My heart goes out to her and her entire family who have not only had to endure the loss of a son, brother & cousin but have had to endure the harsh judgment provided by empty lives who hide anonymously on bulletin boards across the web.

November 12, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. Elizabeth

My mother raised 9 children, imperfectly. Still is mother & grandmother today, imperfectly. She is the rock of our family. I know that Marie is the best mother she could be. She was out of the limelight for years, raising her children. She is not perfect, just like my mother was not perfect. No human can be. My love and my respect go out to you, Marie.

November 12, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tmomx5

Its so sad that had her son not died... Had she not been on Oprah.. U ppl would have nothing 2 talk about... U would actually have 2 face the reality of ur own miserable lives!!!

November 12, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tmomx5

Some of u ppl r just sick!!!

November 12, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  17. Becky

Marie, I am sorry for your loss. please forgive all these people that want to judge you. Evidently they don't realize the bible says not to judge. God be with you. Becky

November 12, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  18. whitney

I felt a stink of pain readin the story and the unthinkable comments im 24 iv been through a great deal of everythink in ma life! people always have somethink bad to say about you because they dont know you or they feel that way about themselves which is very sad. i feel this wonderful ladys loss and wish her peace and happiness for the rest of her days on this earth. long as she knows what really happened her and god none of what the rest of us has to say even matters. marie it only gets greater later and this too shall pass god be with u and your family for the holiday and give yall all the blessing u deserve after all this. for the rest of u sick people get a life to tell a story about!!!!!

November 12, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  19. magnum

we have to understand that God has purpose in all things, and we need to look forward to the things of value that He still has for us to do.I also lost a child and no words can replace that void but Gods purpose for us can. Marie, you have my thoughts and prayers with you and yours. Magnum

November 12, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  20. daisey

Wow! I never post comments, but I cannot believe what I am reading. Cold, ignorant people!

November 12, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  21. alanjay1

I feel for the young man and his family. I have been suicidal before, and the only thing that kept me from acting on it was a sliver of faith that things might get better. I didn't want to make a statement, or hurt my family, but I was considering suicide because of the emotional pain I was in when I was severely depressed. The pain was like a physical open wound that would not heal for months, and I wanted it to go away so badly. Eventually, I made some major life changes, and things started to get better, little by little, and eventually, life was great.

To anybody out there who's feeling like that, just remember that life is full of surprises, and you are never truly trapped in a situation you can't escape from. There's always some way to break out of the emotional prison.

November 12, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  22. footprints

"It was then that I carried you"

God bless you and your family Marie
    Xo

November 12, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  23. mttrailboss

Sad story.. However.., Marie Osmond is one of the most beautiful women in the world, including being a sincere loving mother to her seven children. The song that Marie Osmond sang at the end of the Oprah show, brought me to tears.., I did not know that Marie sang opera. Marie has a good opera singing teacher and coach.., hope Marie decides to put the song on her next album. It was beautiful.., like Marie Osmond. Sincerely sorry for your loss. Mike in Montana

November 12, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  24. Karen Mueller

My heart goes out to Marie & her family. Noone as any right to judge anyone, everything happens for a reason. I have grown up watching the Osmonds they are great people. they all have gone through alot, their mother passing, their father & now her son. she is a very strong women a great mother Im a single mom it is very hard love ya Marie may god be with you always.

November 12, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  25. Sara

Unless you have walked in the same shoes, you can not judge.

November 12, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  26. kathleen foland

Hi maire i am so sorry for ur lose my my heart and soul goes out to u and ur family.i am a mom of a four years old little girl name sabrina and i am getting really for myborth of my baby number 2 i know how u feel i lose my aunt in o7 and my grandmom in o8 i think u a good mom and a brave one to talk about ur a friend of mine lose her daugther .u didnt kill ur son he was depressed and u did call him back u didnt know ur son was going to kill him self no one shouldnt jugde u or say these things i am 31 i am a mom u love all ur children u r a brave one my family and friends are praying for u and all ur family people make misteak in life thats what we here by my grandmom told me that

November 12, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  27. Mike Hornett

"Probably the hardest thing?", oh come on Marie, you can't find a better choice of words than that?

November 12, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  28. Gael

Marie is right when she says that her son slipped into insanity and was not thinking rationally. I've had major depression two separate times, with chronic depressive disorder at other times. I knew I didn't want to hurt my family, but I could feel myself slipping into irrationality. I just hung on until I could get into a mental hospital for extended treatment. It was a life-saver for me. It's not really an option for most people with mental illness now because insurance won't pay for it. Most of the places that used to do it have closed, the others are specifically rehab for addictions.

November 12, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  29. ATL

If you've never gone through having a loved one commit suicide, after sufferingfrom depression and or bi polar disorder,you have no idea. My sister died just over a year ago. She tried twice before, one at age 20 and another in her early 30s. Both times we were able to intervene.

She was sad about her marriage breaking up and she was gone in a minute. In the morning she had planned to spend the day running errands with her children and relaxing, by the afternoon she had an upsetting conversation with her husband and she was dead.

Bi polar disorder is like some form of insidious cancer. You may beat it for a while, but it's likely that it will kill you. Her tailspin was rapid and immediate. Those out there who think they've got some superpower to race to the rescue should know that you are powerless when it happens. She made up her mind and then shut everyone out.

To those critical of Marie, you are absolute fools. May God keep you from ever having to endure such pain.

November 12, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  30. Nolandia

As someone who has been through suicidal depression and come out the other side, I can say, he could have been saved, had he got the counselling and maybe meds he needed.
    I'm sorry, but the Mother's intuition thing, gimme a break, he's already called her depressed and feeling worthless. She should have dropped everything to be there for him knowing his history, my mom was. Now she's crying on Oprah. She should have been by his side holding his hand and if he she had to walking with him to counselling, as my mom did.
    He called and called for his mama, she went on stage, now she's crying.

November 12, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Hindsight is 20/20.

Of course, with hindsight she should have canceled the show and rushed to his side. But you know what? She did not have the "benefit" of hindsight. She made the best decision she could given the information she had at the time.

You can't expect someone to drop everything every single time a kid says they are feeling low.

Cut Marie some slack. She is a good person who experienced a terrible thing when her son decided to kill himself. He decided. She did, and continues to do, the best she can.

November 12, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Mother of Four

I am sorry for her loss. No parent should ever have to experience this but I agree with you.......He was crying out to his mother for help. This mother had been through the same thing with depression so she knew how to help and has the funds to help but apparently her job was more important to her. "The show must go on!" Seems to me she would have enough money by now, being in show business for so long, that she could retire or walk out anytime if she wanted to or needed to. I think the audience would have understood. I would love to see how much she is worth monetary wise. Sounds like a mother too busy for her family......no wonder he felt alone.....probably grew up that way too. Last cry for attention and she was too damn busy making another dollar! Shame on her.

November 12, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • FredErick White

Nolandia – It seems rather easy for you to pass a harsh judgement on a person from behind the safety of your computer screen. Shame on you! Marie is a person who may be an entertainer by proffession but remains foremost a human being and a mother who lis grieving for her son. Have you no compassion? Are you that heartless and cynical? I feel very sorry for you because Marie may have loss a child but you have permantly loss much more – the art of being a loving soul.

November 12, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  31. magic

This is to bellajen you are confused and must have went threw something like this.first off you not finto sit back and continue to live your life while your son is crying for your help.grow up and understand life. you give birth take care and always be there for your child end of story!

November 12, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  32. chree

I just want to say I kinda know what your going through. My father killed himself 8 years ago and the pain is still very much new! And there's always guilt&questions...what if I woulda just answered the phone,what if I woulda talked to him a little longer,what if I woulda told him how much he really meant to me&our family...but truth is it was going to happen no matter what! When someones mind is set to kill themselves,weither your on stage on broadway,or your rite in the next room they're mind is made up! Just love him everyday as if he were here and talk about him a lot! Don't be embarrassed or ashamed. I'm deeply sorry for your loss but never forget to keep his legacy alive! Remember the good times! And stay strong!

November 12, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  33. Brittany

Wow...everyone is so insensitive. At that point she didn't KNOW her son was about to kill himself. The intuition she was referring to was after he didn't pick up. So none of you have EVER missed a phone call from your family? You can't put the blame on her for this.

November 12, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Life is random. You can do things to up the chances for success and longevity, but all you are really doing is increasing probabilities. Genetics play the largest role. We are all predisposed and hard wired to be the people we are-some are depressed regardless of their situation.

November 12, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  34. magic

i just had my first son this past june. apple of my eye. i do everything i can for my children and at all times. im sorry for your loss! but its kind of true that your child needs come before your own. you new he was sick and like every sick child all they want is there mommy. you should have been there.

November 12, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • FredErick White

Magic – congrats on your child – Let's all hope that in your future, your child does not become clinically depressed yet you are contracted and obliged to work at a specific time when your child calls you in need. Here's hoping that you will be be able to easily walk away from the obligations & commitments you will have to support your family's financial livelyhood as easily as you think you can at this point in time in your life! It's easy to judge when you are not walking in the shoes of another human being!

November 12, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  35. mom2

How can so many of you people be so judgemental? This was every parents nightmare and having to deal with it in public is hard enough. Marie is a brave women who was willing to share her story which may help another family going through a similar situation. Unless you walk in her shoes you have no right to judge. May God bless her and her family.

November 12, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Willie12345

Generally, I would agree with you. However, Marie seems to love the lime light and public attention. She has chosen the entertainment business first and put her family second. With 8 children, she needs to give them all of her time. She has the money to do so, so it's not about $$$$. Her two divorces indicate a problem. One is understandable, 2 begins to make you suspect. I hope I'm very wrong, but I don't think so. Sometime in the future, there may be a "Mommy, Dearest" book that tells a more complete story. Those in the entertainment field are all about image.

November 12, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  36. BellaJenn

I love how all you people who are putting her down are so quick to judge if someone has no hope anymore there is NOTHING anyone could do to stop them if they want to take their lives! Yall act like you are so perfect and you don't make mistakes who are you to judge her she will have to live with the what if's and the loss of her son for the rest of her life have some compassion you a holes!

November 12, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • jasmine

I agree, it seems everyone has solutions but if you are in the same situation you would not know how to respond. Don't judge someone's life by what you see in the media and you are right, if someone wants to take their life there is absolutely nothing that you can do!!! They have already made up their mind and nothing will change that.

November 12, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • righteous-in-Christ

You see, that's the problem with human beings.....they say, "THERE IS NO HOPE", well, there isn't any hope for the hopeless who don't know Christ who is our only HOPE. Satan is roaming like a hungry lion trying to see whom he can devour and have convince many people who is suicidal and/or has committed suicide that there is no way out. There is no place in Heaven for any souls that have commits suicide, sad to say it, but is the very truth. If anyone wants hope in their lives, you will have to learn that we NEED Christ in your life. But, if you are going to turn God away, don't expect Him to interfere in your life. He is a gentle, humble God and He will respect your decision when you don't want Him around and just leave.

May God have Mercy on us; we are ignorant human beings and we are NOTHING without Christ.

November 12, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  37. cabo wabo

really? why is a suicidal 18 yr old have an apt? why was he left there alone? i have a suicidal teen and i will probably lose my job and house because i cant im afraid to leave her alone.

November 12, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • BettyBoop

@Cabo Wabo: He lived w/ roommates in an apartment nearby the art/fashion school they were attending. He was discovered by his best friend/roommate.

November 12, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Been through it

If someone wants to kill themselves, they will find a way. If you have to stay home with your child out of the fear they will kill themselves, why are they not in the hospital?

November 12, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Joy

I applaud you for putting your child first! you are a great parent! Stay strong.

November 12, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  38. toni

My only sister took her life January 13,2010. She said she felt "alone & tired". This 1st year has been difficult, the pain of her loss will be with me forever. With the upcoming holidays,there is a empty space that can't be filled. It's my daily prayer that she is at peace.

November 12, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • katierichard

Toni–please accept my condolences for your horrific loss. Hang in there and know that you have friends you haven't met who care about you. I lost 2 close friends and a cousin to suicide and the pain never goes away. I think of them and scream "Why?"

November 12, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  39. Dennis Pence

Marie Osmond should have faith and trust in God. I am not judging her for what her son did – but I would drop anything to help one of my children. Twice divorced, a Mormon – just goes to show that it can happen to anyone. She and God will have to deal with this – it is not our right to condemn her but if these things are happening in her life, I would say she has "opened some doors for Satan".

November 12, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  40. lisabeth

Depression is such an awful, insidious disease. For those people who love someone with depression it can rear its ugly head at very unexpected times and leave you feeling helpless (which you basically are). It's even more sad when someone so young is dealing with it.

As a mother, my heart goes out to Marie and any other mother who has to deal with the death of a child. I cannot imagine anything more horrible.

November 12, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  41. Moogie

there is something very dysfunctional about Marie Osmond. 8 children and a very busy show business career; she needs to set her priorities! Quit the goody two shoes act (divorced twice) and quit hopping on the media trail. also, way too much plastic surgery! don't feel sorry for her but feel sorry for the children. we need to stop supporting these media hounds who don't take care of their overpopulated brood!

November 12, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • DK

I agree with you. Funny, she had "mother's intuition" but when he called her, the show must go on. By the time the show was over, he was already dead. Too bad that intuition didn't kick in BEFORE.

November 12, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • 2310

single women working to support her children where apparently the father has not stepped up how do you feel compelled to put her down for that???? And shame on you, are you an expert in depression, her son would have found a way to take his life if she was in the other room that is where he was mentally.

November 12, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • scmaize

She seems like a good mother and a very decent person. Also, several of her children are adopted, so it's not the case of "overpopulation" that you seem to think. She seems to have the financial and emotional resources to take care of all of them. Bad things sometimes happen to good people.

November 12, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Willie12345

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. She has plenty of money, but continues to work in the entertainment business with all that is entails. I feel very sorry for her children. If she put all of her effort into her family things might be much different. Many do not have the riches that she has, but do put all of their time into their families. Business success does not equal family success. My own mother raised us with a modest income and was married to the same man for 40 years. My father wasn't perfect by any means, but the two of them worked things out. It seems that Marie just loves the lime light and the stage more than anything else.

November 12, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Madge

Thank you! Why was he addicted to drugs at 12? Sounds like Drew Barrymore and she had a similar upbringing, although maybe didn't suffer from clinical depression. This child needed more of her care and she was more interested in singing in Las Vegas than being at his side when he needed him.

November 12, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Kent

I guess the same argument could be posed at you Moogie and Madge. It's annoying to have to endure sideline psychologists analyze others motives and actions hiding behind their online pseudo names. A casual unthoughtful analysis of years of events leading up to a crisis only shows the writer of such analysis to be an ill-informed insignificant voice. A wise man or woman will withold judgement until they have more facts on all sides instead of making sure their People Magazine subscription is current.

November 12, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Richard

I agree with Kent and also with 2310!
      So many of us, (myself included), are so quick to express a negative judgement of someones actions or inaction.
      If you have ever felt despair and hopelessness so intense that the only relief seems to come from suicide, you might understand that there was litlle anyone could do or say to keep him from ending his pain, the only way that seemed would accomplish that.
      I am sorry for your loss, Marie Osmond. I can't imagine the pain you must feel. God bless you.

November 17, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  42. SKY

FACT: steven seagal, i will remember that everytime i say your name.
    think small........ok, right...

November 12, 2010 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  43. Roses

Peace & Blessings to her son & all her family.

November 12, 2010 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  44. Paper Roses

This is so sad... I always liked Marie, ever since I saw her singing Paper Roses. I can only imagine the pain she is living and the regrets she has. My heart goes out to her. Prayers and blessings sent her way...

November 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Steven Seagal

Right! I'll call you back, I'm on a hot streak at the craps table.

November 11, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  46. SKY

FACT: MARIE, YOU ARE A ONE TIME PARENT. MEANING
    WE DO THE BEST WE CAN. AND I BELIEVE YOU DID
    THE BEST YOU COULD, EVERY PARENT AND
    CHILD RELATIONSHIP IS DIFFERENT....WHEN HE
    CALLED YOU, HE JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW
    YOU WERE ON HIS MIND AND HE DID LOVE YOU
    SO....AND HIS ILLINESS TOOK OVER.
    A LADY SHARED A COMFORTING BIBLE SCRIPTURE
    JUST TODAY WITH ME AND IT CHANGED MY WHOLE
    IDEA OF THINGS...IT WAS, REVELATION 21:3-5

November 11, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  47. SKY

FACT: THIS IS A WAKE UP CALL FOR EVERY PARENT.
    EVERY SITUATION IS DIFFERENT.
    HOWEVER IF MY CHILD, CALLS ME AND IS UNDER GREAT
    STRESS AND CRYING, AND LIVING OUT OF STATE.
    1. I WOULD TRY TO CONTACT SOMEONE I KNOW AND
    ASK, BEG, THEM TO GO AND STAY WITH MY CHILD
    UNTIL I GET THERE....FIRST PLANE OUT...
    KEEP PHONE COMMUNICATION OPEN UNTIL I GET THERE.

November 11, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • mick

I completely agree with you, thank you for saying that! You get him help,you don't put work over your child.

November 12, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Moose

Look - this is pretty simple. Kids have an instinct that tells that when mom is out pushing her own career and couldn't give a rats behind about their needs. I say congratualtions to Marie on her successful career and shame on her for not being there to raise her kids properly. Hey, at least she was able to enjoy herself on Dancing in the Bars.

November 12, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • oh yea?

are you two FOR REAL? She was doing a show, got a call and said she would call him right back when it was over. HOW SHOULD SHE HAVE *KNOWN* THAT NOT ANSWERING THIS CALL (THE LAST HER SON WOULD MAKE) WOULD BE A DIRECT CRY FOR HELP!???? Maybe they speak 20 times a day, everyday, and she thought she could call him back. You two should be ashamed of yourselves for trying to pass judgement on her parenting skills because she had a "job to do" – you make it sound like she knew he was standing with a gun to his head (figuratively) and decided it could wait. So disrespectful – someone should spit in your condescending faces.

November 12, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

My little sister suffers from depression and has made several suicide attempts. My family has made countless trips to hospitals, ambulance rides, therapy, etc. It can become such a regular occurrence to endure a new emergency every few weeks/months that you stop living your life. Let's save the judgement for another story.

November 17, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  48. Nadine Bourgault

Marie you were very brave today to speak about your son Michael. Please consider attending a Compassionate Friends support group meeting. My daughter lost her first child, and the group was extremely helpful to both her and her husband. You can go and sit and say nothing, or you can share whatever you want. Only those who have been unfortunate to lose a child are truly able to understand. I am sorry for your loss.

November 11, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  49. patman

Hey mom, thinking about killing myself..I'll be right there as soon as Im done enjoying what i want to do..she may have well squeezed the trigger. Vegas cant wait ya know.

November 11, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Maryellen Hady

Dear Marie, please let me start with I am sooo very sorry for your loss. My heart breaks as a mother for you. You are so brave to go on Oprah and you had so much grace it was amazing. God be with you during this very very difficult time. My heart goes out to you and your children and your family. Please know that I am praying for you and with you . I hope you find the peace and solace that you so deserve. God bless you and I love you you are amazing! A very classy brave woman!

November 11, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Christian

I will pray for Michael and his family. I am so very sorry for your loss and you have to think of your other children who need you more now than ever. Peace Be With You and Your Family!!

November 12, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  51. cecilia

forget the cap locks – people make the rules and expect everyone to fall in line. who decided that cap locks were yelling anyway. I think what you had to say was a lot worse than someone typing in all caps – stop being so controlling

November 12, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  52. Josh

Society makes social rules. Just like, you don't stand 1 inch from someone when talking with them, you don't use all caps on the Internet. Most often the people that do so are shouting their forceful, myopic viewpoints. I, and most normal people, immediatly disregard someones post when they're all caplocks. They're reserved for the crazies and religious nut jobs.

November 12, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |