Betty White's dream of being a forest ranger comes true
November 11th, 2010

Betty White's dream of being a forest ranger comes true

Betty White has achieved her lifelong dream and it has nothing to do with those seven Emmys she's accrued over the course of her career. The 88-year-old acting legend was recently made an honorary forest ranger!

With Smokey the Bear looking on, the U.S. Forest Service presented White with a badge and a ranger's Stetson at a November 9 ceremony at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., the Los Angeles Times reports.

"In my heart I've been a forest ranger all my life," said White, who aspired to the job as a child, but women weren't allowed. "Now I'm official."

The former "Golden Girls" star recalled childhood memories of going camping with her family in Yellowstone National Park as well as riding a horse through the High Sierras with her father.

"Wilderness is harder and harder to find these days on this beautiful planet," she noted, "and we're abusing our planet to the point of almost no return."

White was in D.C. for another Kennedy Center event in which Tina Fey was presented with the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.

"It's a formal affair," White explained. "Would it be all right if I wore the hat?"

1. celebs911

Betty White, you are awesome! I hope other celebs will follow your example and your incredible spirit and sense of humor. I am a big fan!:)

November 12, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Enough with Betty White

Haven't we had enough with Betty White yet? Who re-opened her crypt? Yeah she had a successful career 30 years ago but omfg get off my tv today. I'd rather watch a reality show with The Burger King, the World's Most Interesting Man, and Mayhem from those All-State ads.

November 12, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dep Pendin

If an 88 year old woman wants to be a ranger, so be it. who is being hurt?

November 12, 2010 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. dvdmc16

is she gonna record the famous jingle? Smokey the bear, Smokey the bear, prowlin' and a growlin' and a sniffin' the air. He can find a fire before it starts to flame. That's why they call her Betty, that's how she got her na... Well you get the idea.

November 12, 2010 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. mike burns

Is she George Burns's mom? She looks about old enough.

November 11, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bond Yogi Bond

Maybe Yogi and Boo Boo will share their pic a nic basket with Betty !!

November 11, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rene'

Hear, hear.

November 11, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. freddie

The reason why we said smokey the bear in the older times was because smokey was a bear, bears don't have first and last names, Why say smokey bear.

November 11, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Maggie

It is simply Smokey Bear, NOT Smokey the Bear...

November 11, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MattGMD

Betty White is the total package. The party is for Tina Fey, but every guest and photog will have one eye on Ranger Betty.

November 11, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Yogi

This just in...Yogi and Boo-Boo are stealing another picnic basket! Send in Betty White!

November 11, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tracey

Betty White is no 15-minutes-of-famer. She has had a generous career as an actress/comedian over the course of many decades. Know the facts before you preach your hate.

November 11, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ericrad

I've only stopped by long enough to say .... Aren't we done with this woman yet?

November 11, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • MattGMD

@ericrad – we are done with you and if you hurry, you can catch the next outgoing tide.

November 11, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • fuzzybear

Betty White rocks. She can arrest me anytime

November 11, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. limejuiceboy

The Island loves Betty White..in fact we love all the Golden Girls! That's why we reported on her Forest Ranger honor when it happened on 11/9

November 11, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Aubrey Sparks

I love Betty White and if we are having a conflict, I would love to do with Betty White and I covered in warm olive oil and I am sure she will win.

November 11, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  16. GO AWAY BETTY WHITE

PLEASE STOP. YOUR MOST RECENT 15 MINUTES IS OVER. GET OUT OF MY POP CULTURE.

November 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Bud

Now those cartel planters that hang around our National Parks are truly in trouble. Go gettem, Bet!!

November 11, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ella Jay

i'm gonna go ahead and assume that they meant "Yosemite" which actually is in the Sierra Nevada range, whereas Yellowstone is in Wyoming. i mean, it's possible she camped in Yellowstone and rode horsies in the Sierra, but i'm guessing your author got the two "Y" national parks confused. happens to me all the time :D

November 11, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • BillyBoy

. . .or go ahead and assume she was referring to two separate memories (which I believe to be the case).

November 11, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. CJ

Working for the Forest Service in WV, Somkey Bear is a well known Symbol, and the Forest Service is a wonderful organization. Welcome to our family Betty, you would have been a great District Ranger.

November 11, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Thenextstep

Okay, I'll see her on the hiking trails helping me do trail maintenance....................

November 11, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ranald Bruce

Betty White I LOVE YOU. Yes, wear the hat. Bless you.

November 11, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  22. on topic

You rock,Betty! Love ya!

November 11, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  23. northeast hater

Dont preach hate!

November 11, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • preach

some of the funniest comments on these posts are hate

while I agree preaching hate is bad, posting it is pretty funny

November 11, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Emphyrio

If SNL doesn't fix up a bit with her arresting a bear for taking a dump in the woods, somebody is missing the boat. It'd be even better if one of their sponsors was Charmin beause if you have any doubts about what those bears are..........

November 11, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  25. golden girls=greatest show

I love Betty White! She is amazing and an inspiration! I requested autographs a few years ago from the Golden Girls, I got 3out of 4 (estelle wasn't doing it). Betty White was the only one who made it out specifically out to me :) she's so genuine and sweet!

November 11, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  26. yay Betty

YAY Betty!!

November 11, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  27. oldshoshone

Come on baby light my fire!

November 11, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  28. gman

YOUR ARE THE BEST REPRESENTATIVE OF YOU'RE GENDER. I LOVE YOU

November 11, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  29. kiki

I love Betty White...she's so hilarious!!!

November 11, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  30. nutorbutter

go betty go

November 11, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  31. Dee Reffett

It's Smokey Bear.

November 11, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Barb

Years ago the Mascot for forestry was referred to as Smokey the Bear. So the article was correct.

November 11, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Long standing debate, but the official name is "Smokey Bear" and the US Forest Service tries very hard to keep it that way, along with a host of other "Smokey Bear" guidelines.

November 11, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ella Jay

it always was "Smokey, the bear" which then would make his name Smokey, or *possibly* he could be referred to as Smokey Bear. let me ask, tho: that's the only thing that struck you from the article?

November 11, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

How many of you know who "Ranger Gord" is? That is the first thing I thought of when I saw this...

November 11, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Brian

And what does your anti-tolerence crap have to do with this story? Go preach your hate someplace else.

November 11, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  33. wrong place

while I respect your opinion, it has nothing to do with this article and seems rather spam-bot. GO BETTY WHITE

November 11, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  34. gay v. anit gay

I love a good wrestling match

you two, in the wresting pit, I'll fill it with jello

November 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Ella Jay

let me get this straight: you are saying that betty white is gay? i've no idea what left field that came from, nor what it has to do with the article, nor have i ever heard that particular rumour about her. possibly you need to run on out and get your own life, so you'll be less concerned about what's happening in the bedrooms of people whom you don't even know.

November 11, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |