Janet Jackson: I got colonics at age 11
November 10th, 2010

Janet Jackson: I got colonics at age 11

Being a child star wasn't necessarily "Good Times" for Janet Jackson. The actress/singer tells the December issue of Health that she blames being a young performer for many of the body image issues she would struggle with later in life.

“When I did 'Good Times,' they used to bind my chest because I was developing breasts at a young age," says 44-year-old Jackson, who played Penny Woods on the hit TV comedy from 1977-79. "It immediately makes you think, ‘The way I am isn’t good enough.’ They thought I was too heavy and that I needed to lose weight. When I look back at the show, I was your average-size kid.”

Still, it was around that same time that her mother, Katherine Jackson, took the 11-year-old for regular colonic treatments to help keep her trim.

"Once a month my mother would drive us to downtown L.A [for the procedure]," she explains. "That played a big part in my life and career, because I learned at a very young age what discipline truly meant, to be able to pass up the French fries and the piece of candy.”

A lifelong yo-yo dieter, Jackson is back in top form mentally, physically and careerwise, but admits that getting to that place hasn't been easy.

“People tend to put entertainers on pedestals. We’re human beings, just like you," says the "For Colored Girls" star. "Whether we have money or not, we still have bills to pay, we still have our stresses.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Janet Jackson • Music • television

1. Michael Jackson

You think thats bad? Well lemme tell ya Ole Man Joe used to screw my butt day and night.

February 7, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jo

Steven S, you need to be put down. Now. A few others here coulduse a good dose human conciousness, and a little class.

December 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. yaegerj

Every since experiencing be one of five children to dine with the group of the 70's, known as the Jackson five. I some how knew what appeared to be a happy family at that time, was not really what took place, behind closed doors. More will be revealed as they become older, The truth needs to be crought out into the light, as a learning tool, not a hurting one.. All Families Have Their Share Of Family Issues, So We Learn And Grow From Each Other's Experiences.

November 16, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. froyo11

Surprised she didn't develop an eating disorder...this kind of makes me mad. Not at Katherine specifically but at society's emphasis on weight as a whole. As someone who has experienced the pain of watching a loved one waste away because of an eating disorder...the idea of any mother sending this kind of message to her child is infuriating.
    We're all effed up, this kind of thing freaking goes against nature.
    Please? Can the media, the celebrities and the teenagers that worship them, the younger girls and their mothers find SOMETHING else that's more important than being thin? Can we please do that?

November 13, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. David

I am now convinced that Kathryn Jackson is just as much to blame as Joseph Jackson. Her method of abuse was her naivety, ignorance and blind religious faith. (see Oprah interview). On the one hand the father beat the crap out of them and then on the other hand the mother wasn't dealing with a full pack. Sad Sad family. Hopefully Janet will accept herself and her looks so she can actually have an acting career. One more procedure and she will look to much like a puppet to even be cast in a future film.

November 13, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. celebs911

we don't have a prediction for Janet but we have one for her incredible brother Michael. However, her life for sure was not easy...it's sadness that comes from the Jackson family..

November 13, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MadCityBabe

whine....whine....whine..........maybe you'd like to be back in Gary Indiana in that small shack with your original nose – working in a factory...............shut up!

November 12, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • sonya

Wow, my 7 year old could make a better comment then this

November 14, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • ElisabethinCA

Always someone has to say something nasty...you need to change your name to ImAhaterBabe...or how about IhaveNothingBetterToDoThenGoOnlineAndSayNastyThingsAboutPeopleIDon'tEvenKnowBabe.....or better yet...ImSuchALoserBabe

December 15, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MDS

FAME COST.
    IF HER PARENTS DIDN'T PUSH HER, WE'LL BE SAYING "JANET WHO?"
    CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO.
    I GUESS IT MAKES FOR GOOD PUBLICITY.
    I'M NOT SHEDDING ANY TEARS

November 12, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Superhiro

Poor Janet. All those Jackson kids had to go through so much crap growing up. They're still my favorite entertainment family though.

November 12, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. WHITT

READING THIS ARTICLE IS mOVING ***iN mY BACKGROUND IM LISTENING TO laNCE REDDICK :) READING AND HIS mUSIC MAKES THE MOOD JUST RIGHT..... BUT IF UR WONDERING WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT LISTEN FOR YOU SELF.... TRUST ME U WILL LIKE :) http://itunes.apple.com/no/album/contemplations-remembrances/id387468342

November 12, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. th

who cares. YAWN.......

November 11, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Sonya

Th it seems you care, why else did you waste your silly time responding.

November 14, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. F'Real

Shut up, Chris.

November 11, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. Chris

they should have just left Janet alone. she's beautiful as she was and she still is today. much as i want to go into show business, i hate it so much because you get insulted you always told you got to gain or lose weight for this role and the stupid saying nothing Personal its just Business. but it end up being personal to that individual emotionally. Janet is the best.

November 11, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. SKY

FACT: "I BLAME" "I BLAME" "NO" "NO" 'NO"
    YOU WERE A MINOR, PARENTS MAKE THE FINAL
    DECISION FOR THEIR MINOR CHILDREN. YOUR PARENTS
    ALLOWED THEM TO TAPE YOUR CHEST AND YOUR MOTHER
    TOOK YOU TO GET COLONIC TREATMENTS WHEN YOU WERE 11 YEARS OLD.
    (SEE HOW EASY IT IS TO TELL THE TRUTH)

November 10, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brittany

Love you Janet God Bless you and your family

November 10, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Eddie King

Say, Eddie King really likes "Janet Jackson: I got calonics at 11"

November 10, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Steven Seagal

Who's the elephant that ate Janet?

November 10, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Topeka1

Trish...
    What the hell are you talking about?? You are warped.

November 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Steven Seagal

I have to admit that I'd go hogging on that.

November 10, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |