Growing up (or not) on 'Parenthood'
November 10th, 2010

Growing up (or not) on 'Parenthood'

On last night’s episode of “Parenthood,” Sarah, Adam and Gordon hear the demo test results on her shoe-clicker idea – and it's a bomb. (There are mornings when I'd love to have something like that to help my kids find their shoes, but I guess the focus group couldn't appreciate it.)

Afterward, Zeek and Adam are in the grocery store talking about it while trying to wrangle Max and his chips. At the 10 items only check-out line, some twit ahead of them has 17 items, which Max notices. He proceeds to remove the twit's items himself and heads for a meltdown. Because said shopper is a twit, he can't just shut up and move along. He says Adam should "train" Max better, then calls Max the r-word.

Adam knocks him to the ground. And who can blame him? When they get home, no one wants to tell Kristina what happened.

Later Zeek makes Adam talk about the grocery store incident. He starts by talking about how he admires Adam's control. Adam responds by saying he was only trying not to be like Zeek. He then lets loose and talks about how angry he is all the time. Craig T. Nelson barely said another word that whole scene, but he didn't need to.

I thought Zeek was going to let a tear escape his eye, or hug Adam. Instead, he said "I got your back, Adam.” Which is about as close to a touching father-son hug as Zeek and Adam were going to get.

When he finally tells Kristina, the only thing she objects to is Adam saying he's like his dad. They agree he needs to find some way to deal with his anger and frustration.

Meanwhile, Crosby and Jasmine are getting ready to move in together, but Crosby doesn't want to do the grown-up thing and give up the bachelor boat. It doesn't help when Jabbar tells him he's a boat guy. Julia later points out that Jabbar is only six, and tells Crosby to sell the boat because he's an adult. Jasmine helps him say goodbye to the boat like a grown-up.

Sarah continues on with her ill-advised, poorly thought-out relationship with Boss Baldwin. They go to drown their sorrows after the shoe test didn't go well. She ends up spending the night in his limo, then trying to sneak back in as if she's the teenager. She scared her kids and worried her parents. She's worse than Crosby is about not growing up. At least he seems to be making progress; Sarah is doing nothing but backsliding.

And then there's Haddie, who's continued on with her own ill-advised crush on Alex, her community service boss. She, like Sarah, kisses her boss after work. The difference between Haddie and her aunt is Haddie’s age; she’s 16, so that's perfectly understandable. And the difference between Gordon and Alex is that Alex has the sense to quash the relationship because he knows he has problems he's dealing with, namely alcoholism. And she seems to take it like a reasonable person.

I wish this show would find Sarah an appropriate boyfriend. Someone who's not her boss and who isn't her kid's teacher would be good. She should have stuck with the co-worker; that would at least be less inappropriate. What do you think? Does she need to stop dating at all for a while, or is it okay for her to see Gordon?

Post by:
Filed under: Parenthood • television • TV recaps

1. Lori

Who is the homeless guy Alex? He looks so familiar to me but can't pin point him from what show.

November 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bernie

i just love this show!! it is cute, and funny and has good issues to be addressed.. it isn't like my family growing up, but none can compare to that one!! but, at least they don't use canned laugh on tyhe show and there is enough going on that i can relate to some of it and others i don't.. but it's cute and funny...

November 14, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. deb

I absolutely LOVE this show. My only complaint is that Bonnie Bedelia's role seems to be very minor. I know she and Zeek are kind of the minor players in this show but they shouldn't be. There are a lot of "older" people out there like myself who think these people are "still viable and interesting". Zeek seems to have a bigger role than Camille does. I love all the characters, though. Great show.

November 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. PhliipDC

Anyone notice a scene out of sequence? After the scene where Kristina scolds Haddie for not calling, Adam left the house telling Kristina he had to go to Cosby's boat thing. But that was before Cosby came by the office to tell him and Sarah about it.

November 12, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rachael

As a parent of a child with high functioning autism, I enjoy seeing a television show that portrays what families like mine go through. Autism is so prevelant now. I believe it's helpful for people to learn about what autism can be like so they can be more understanding when they encounter it in their lives.

November 12, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jennifer726

I think this is one of the best shows on TV.....the writing is amazing and the show seems to make a difference!!!

November 12, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Deb

I am not a parent (by choice), but I absolutely love this show! The characters are real and families do scream and talk over one another all the time. It is annoying, but it's real! I loved Adam finally getting angry because I always am waiting for him to scream "shut up" when Sarah continually talks over him. Keep the show!!

November 11, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. ForgetMeNot

I think anyone who's not a parent might be bored with this program, but personally, I like it. It showcases different types of family's and family members. Maybe not always so realistic, after all, it is Hollywood. But some of the relationships and issues are true to form – like Adam and Kristina and their son Max. The issues they face are real and pretty close to the way it really is when you're the parent of a emotionally or psychologically challenged child. You tend to be in hyper-protective mode a lot of the time and angry that it's happening to you (why me?).

Sarah's a strange one, but then I think the story line is that she was a bit of a wild child herself and had her children at a young age and maybe didn't have much of a chance to experience relationships and life when she should have, so now she's sort of going through her "sowing her oats" and "finding herself" phases. Maybe not wise with 2 teenaged kids, but nonetheless a fact of life. It happens....

November 10, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kate

I agree Gordon is too much of a player for Sarah. I liked her with the warehouse guy, though he also seemed maybe a little too hard-partying as well. All in all, we watch this show every week and will continue to do so. It shows a lot of interesting angles to parenting and the various challenges that come with it.

November 10, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Donna

I think it's a good show and while the "I don't want to grow up storyline gets old", I suppose some people may struggle for indefinite periods with this issue as it seems to have been the case with the Crosby character. As for Sarah, she is a youngish single mother and her children are older. She she shows that adults make poor decisions too. I like this being portrayed. It's better than the opposite where we set too high of a perfection standard where kids feel that no one makes mistakes which is totally unrealistic. In the real world we make mistakes all the time. I like to point out to my children my minor mistakes so they don't feel the need to be perfect all the time. It's healthy. And while I don't stay out or do the things that Sarah does, it shows that parents are fallible.

The story on Asperger’s syndrome is interesting where you see this portrayed from different perspectives (child, parents, friends, therapist, school, etc.).

Overall, I really like this show and hope it continues.

November 10, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brendon

you guys are morons. HTH.

November 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cheefsfury

WHY IS THIS SHOW ON I HOPE THAT THE GILLMORE GIRL GOES BACK TO HER SHOW AND NATE GOES BACK TO SIX FEET UNDER

November 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharon

I so agree. Watched the show a few times last season and became so bored with and annoyed with the constant yelling and screaming and talking over everyone. Really a mess of a show.

November 10, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lily

Yes, let them both go back to their previous shows that were canceled years ago. Makes perfect sense.

November 12, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |