November 10th, 2010

'Conan' gives us set déjà vu

So we noticed something while watching the season premiere of "Conan": His set is awfully reminiscent of Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" set, no?

A few of you concurred that we weren't completely seeing things via Twitter. "I thought that set looked familiar," said @mr_chibbs. User JSPartisan said, "Oh it definitely looks like Johnny's 80s set," while @rebecca623 thought "the set looks very 70s."

Take a look at the images above. What do you think?

Filed under: Conan • television

1. Kandy Quencer

Anyone who spends quite a few hours glued to chair would know how restless one gets due to backaches and fatigue. If you are some who spends most of waking hours at the desk you must agree to buy a desk chair that cares for your physical health so that you work in peace. It is actually very detrimental for work productivity if one is constantly haunted by pains in various regions of body. Since, a chair is a serves as home for all the people at work, one must try quite a few chairs before making a purchase. A chair does much more than providing a place to sit. Ideally, a chair must take care of the health of the person who sits over it for more than usual hours. Human body is curvilinear so how can a stiff straight chair adjust to its demands at first place? A chair that does not care for the contours of human body is definitely not an appropriate one.';

Our personal internet site
    <http://www.healthmedicinentral.com

May 2, 2013 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. best compact camera

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this article is amazing, nice written and come with approximately all significant infos. I would like to see extra posts like this .

July 27, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. exactaman

When I saw that Coan had a side kick like johnny carson used to have...plus a similar type set, I was happy to see it . It seems to me that this makes conan much more relaxed and confident than to be out there all alone.....no big deal....
    Conan is the best. he is younger and more into now.

November 11, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Leonard

Conan knows very well that Carson will not be coming back to ask for his job back.

November 11, 2010 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. Pat

He's a "want-a-be".......He will never be as great as Johnny Carson or any of the others that followed him...He is not funny...

November 11, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jarnk

Conan never 'bullied' NBC into giving him the Tonight show. Conan was looking around for other opportunities, and other networks were interested. NBC freaked and promised him the Tonight Show so that they could keep him.

Ugh.

November 11, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ashley

Conan now has a chance to prove that he can stand on his own two feet. I think it was crappy the way NBC handled the whole thing but I'm glad Conan is off the network. Their overall ratings have been in the toilet since the whole debacle. They can't get a show to work for them. Getting rid of the 10 pm drama-slot was a bad move on their part and now they're struggling to fill it. Good luck to them and good luck to Conan. Here's hoping he keeps it up on TBS! Team CoCo.

November 11, 2010 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ellie

Conan O'Brien is just not funny. That's why he failed with the Tonight Show. His crybaby antics have turned me off him forever. God, Johnny must be rolling over in his grave. Go away Conan, and take Sarah Palin with you.

November 11, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. Fla. Fred

It is 11:17 Et.. TBS is on . When does " Vary Funny Start " . Paul , IT IS NOT THERE . Going back to History Ch.

November 10, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Paul

I think Conan is the real deal!!! He doesn't rely on just simple written material. He takes the audiences response and naturally runs with it.

November 10, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Shannon

I have been watching Conan since the 90's.... He was funny when I was stoned and he is still hilarious now that I am not. His quick wit, sense of humor and crazy antics crack me up and make up for his writing staff. TEAM COCO!!!!

November 10, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rob

It it was good enough Carson – I say go with it.

November 10, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lind Randerson

Yeah, they copied Carson's set. I noticed it at once, and the photos verify the fact. I guess it can't hurt to "borrow" from the best.

November 10, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MO-JM

I guess I don't see the similarities in desks, sets, etc. The only thing I wish is that Conan would do his monologue in front of the curtains instead of in front of the desk area – may be due to small set size that he does this. Otherwise, I like the show and am thrilled that Conan is back on the tube.

November 10, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pick

People please-MOST of you forget that this is all a BUSINESS! Don't blame NBC-LOL-they are in the BUSINESS of making money for people that have invested in them-that's it. So before all of us start getting "feelings" involved (it was his fault,he was mean,they screwed him bla bla) let's keep tat in mind,huh?

November 10, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Vince

FYI to all the don't blame Jay because Conan's numbers sucked. It took Jay over a year to beat out Letterman when he took over the Tonight Show from Carson. Conan never was given the chance. FACT: Jay's ratings have been lower than Conan's since he took it back from Conan!

November 10, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  17. oingoboingo

Ummm...............it just looks like every other talk show set... desk, chair, backdrop. There's really no story here!

November 10, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Craig

Honestly, other than Jay's and Conan's freakishly big heads in relation to their shoulders; what makes them great hosts? Neither of them can carry Johnny's jock strap.

The set's, are basically putting these imposters in Johnny's clothes; because without it, these guys are couldn't carry the show.

The commercials for these guys should read "A desk, a cool back drop, and 4 ounces of talent all assembled on one stage!"

November 10, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dino

The background is totally different but heck its got a table and chairs so it must be a replica. What other entertaining news do you have for us?

November 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. NBCLVR

I don't really consider Conan a comedian in the conventional term. He doesn't tell jokes, like Jay and his wit isn't nearly as fast. He's more like Jim Carrey who does funny things, but isn't really funny.

November 10, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • aaronkamm

So you're saying Jay has wit? He used to, before he went onto the Tonight Show. But now it's so watered down, obvious and recycled. I can see you want to defend your poor Leno in any way possible, even if it doesn't make sense.

November 14, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  21. Chris

@Josh – Of course he pulled in a million more viewers than Jay or Dave. It would strange if he didn't. It's a new show. The real question is – can he hold onto those viewers? I'm going to guess not. I know Team Coco will object, but I don't find him funny or otherwise entertaining – at all. His on-camera persona is smarmy & too full of himself. I've heard that he is a great guy off-camera – show me that side on the show Coco & I might reconsider.

November 10, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Rupert

Conan is finally getting to run a show on its own legs. NBC subtracted by addition when they threw Leno out at 10 and Conan after the news. The old people who watched Leno did so before the news, and went to bed. That left no one actually watching Conan other than young people. They went for the strategy of dividing their audience over a 2 hour period, and it failed miserably. For the people who don't like Conan, that's just wonderful. You weren't watching before, and you aren't watching now. Yet ratings are higher. How is that possible if all you conan haters refuse to watch this "novelty"? Is it because this viewer base was there all along, but didn't like the NBC format that forced a lot of Conan's bits out so he would be more mainstream for old people? We now have Conan in his "pure" pre-tonight show form, and an hour and half earlier than before. Works well for me, and I think it'll work out well for TBS too.

November 10, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vasmikey

The way it hits me in MN; I can watch a little of Conan and then move over to Letterman or Leno for a while and catch an interesting guest or something. I can only tolerate a little of each at a time. LOL!

November 10, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Vasmikey

Not only the desk, but the way in which the camera angles hit him when he walks out and his position on the floor are reminiscent of the King of late night. The band configuration is the same even though its on the other side. I see some definite mirroring of the most successful late night show in history.

November 10, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  24. K

The one point no one on this post seems to grasp is that Conan did get a fair chance at the Tonight Show. Jay always had a good lead-in to the news, the one hour dramas, which he then followed. Jay Leno's new show angered many of the local news stations because they were loosing viewer share to other network affiliates. This is what Conan had to follow, fewer people watching the local NBC affiliate news, and thus fewer hold overs watching the Tonight Show. It isn't Jay or Conan, its NBC for failing both of them. Jay should of been placed somewhere else, allowing Conan a true shot.

November 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. tom in omaha

Conan's last set's backdrop was a hidden nod to Super Mario Brothers. So the past two nights I've been looking in the background for the next semi-hidden reference to excite us media nerds. So far, nothing.

November 10, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Cris

Who is Conan?

November 10, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Candie

It doesn't matter what his set looks like. I'm just glad to see him back on tv, so what if NBC decided they wanted Leno back as host of The Tonight Show, at least Conan has his own show again better to have him on another network than no where at all. Welcome back Conan :)

November 10, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. byro

I find Conan extremely childish and inane compared to any of the others, sorry Coco fans, but I'm not alone in that.

November 10, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. steve

The sets are a little similar, but not enough to warrant a whole article about. What interests me about Conan is exactly how long he'll last until TBS cancels his unfunny show. His ratings at NBC were in the toilet and they'll be even worse now. I predict he'll last 2 months before advertisers start pulling out.

November 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Has it ever occurred to you that your tastes are yours alone? It is amusing to me how arrogant and stupid the Leno fans come off when they disrespect Conan. Whether or not you can admit that Conan has 20x more improv comedy skill than Leno ever had, at least you should have the decency to admit that Conan has his own audience. It is a matter of taste and generation. No one that I know would watch Leno for even 5 minutes. Why? Because everyone I know finds his humor to be watered-down, PG, tightwad and lame-brained. Leno has zero chance of connecting with the under 40 crowd.

November 10, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Bob

Doesn't look the same to me.

November 10, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  31. babycelebs411

great show and Happy belated birthday to your son Beckett:) our best wishes http://babycelebs411.com/2010/11/09/conan-obriens-son-beckett-is-turning-5/

November 10, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  32. bill

conan is a wannabe , sorry but he won't make it

November 10, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Ruben

Connan youre the coolest red head ever? and i hope we bring Andy back to the show,youre the best

November 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  34. marie

OK, I watched some of the show last night. Tom Hamks was awesome, very funny, the fish tank attire.. not so much.

November 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Dan

Thank God for cable and the amazing choices it gives us!

November 10, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Dan

Unless his background is naked ladies I ain't watchin'. That includes the other to Bozos too.

November 10, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Edward

I actually thought the quality of the set looked cheap, not rich like it did when he hosted The Tonight Show ore Late Night. I know most sets look cheaper in person, so perhaps it was just the way it was photographed. And I agree with the comment that the location Conan delivered his monologue – in front of his desk – looked awkward. I hope they make some adjustments this week because I'm rooting for Conan.

November 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Andulamb

Yes, I had the same reaction - looks like an old Tonight Show's set. To those who say that all sets with a desk and two chairs are going to look the same... hogwash. Letterman's set, to name one of many, looks nothing like this set. It seems clear that Conan wanted his set to have a similar feel to the old Tonight Show set. Nothing wrong with that - it has a nice, friendly, familiar look.

November 10, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  39. NY

CONAN SUCKS !!!!

November 10, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  40. s22

response-Ryan

well put. just to add...look at conan's resume...you'll see his name on the credits for the simpsons and old SNL episodes...when it was still funny.

November 10, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Fla. Fred

George who ??? TBS – " Vary Funny " when does that start . One loser for an other .

November 10, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Brad

Michelle,
    The difference is that Lopez actually recruited and invited Conan to take his spot and move his show to the later slot. As a side matter, people also forget that the main reason that Conan's tonight show ratings were so bad was because he had the worst lead in programming ever, THE JAY LENO SHOW. Now that Jay is back in the Tonight Show spot, he gets the benefit of better lead-ins.

November 10, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  43. S22

i think many of you forgot that jay's ratings were on the floor at his new time slot. freaked out by it they wanted to move everyone back to where they were except for jimmy fallon who was going to be left without a job. jimmy fallon has a job because conan gave his spot up for him. jay has been doing the same routine for years! its nice to see some freshness.

letterman and leno are old news. thats why you see so many options now on late night tv. i swear...the way some of you talk about jay leno makes me wonder if your sleeping with him

November 10, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Michelle

I find it interesting that no one has said word one about the fact that Conan's new show bumped George Lopez out of his timeslot. How is that different from Leno's show pushing Conan out of his timeslot?

November 10, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

It is different because George Lopez approached Conan with the idea himself. Look it up. They are friends, and George wanted to help out Conan.

November 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  45. rob

honestly nbc made the mistake. its gonna be hard to ever replace jay at that time slot. we all know that if conan couldnt do it then jimmy falon certainly cant. at that time slot you have to entertain the old folks. not untill all the team coco fans are old and gray will we be able to see a host like conan make it in that time slot

November 10, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Amalia Sheran Sharm

A chair next to a desk! What a rip-off!

November 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Harry from Suffolk VA

you guys are reaching for nothing.

November 10, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. jim

E

November 10, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  49. jim

A

November 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  50. jim

Now That We Done Talking About His Set Lets Argue About His Tie

November 10, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  51. hans

Jay Leno is not funny. Never has been, never will be. The Tonight Show is successful regardless of who hosts. NBC set Conan up for failure by putting Leno's show (effectively a second Tonight Show) right before Conan. How stupid can you be?

November 10, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  52. jim

Boy Its A Luv Fest In Here

November 10, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  53. charity

I was never a fan, but do wish him luck

November 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  54. John

The backdrop reminded me of Leno's first backdrop in 1993. He had a big ocean scene, too. I remember Billy Crystal making fun if it.

November 10, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Wendy

I love his set! Conan is awesome!!

November 10, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  56. SBiondo

I used to like Conan befor the whole ordeal. Now I have little respect for him. Admit when you failed, and admit when you've been beaten. His performances got him removed from the tonight show, not leno. Jay Leno had higher ratings end of discussion. Leno did nothing wrong. Conan is still being a baby and is just digging himself a deeper hold imo. I can't watch his show as long as he fails to face the truth and admit he lost.

November 10, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

You are misinformed. http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/11/04/jay-leno%E2%80%99s-tonight-show-ratings-stay-below-conans-and-trail-lettermans/70829 New shows take time to establish a dedicated audience. Conan has a huge target demo, and his numbers were steadily improving. NBC lacked the patience to let him put stakes in the ground, and it was cheaper to let him go than Leno. The numbers are already bearing out their mistake. Leno's demo gets older and less relevant every single day. Conan didn't just waltz in the room and take Jay's job. He earned it through years of hard work. He isn't the one who made a huge stink of the situation, NBC did. He simply parlayed it as best he could into his next career move. What would you do if you lost your job as a talk show host? Curl up and die? Conan has a tremendous amount of humility and discipline. If your perspective is that he is just an opportunist who isn't worth his salt, you greatly underestimate both his gift as a comedian and his work ethic as an entertainer. Conan will take time to get going on TBS, but just you watch. In 10 years Leno will be gone and Conan will be a cable linchpin.

November 10, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Avon Barksdale

Im gonna say something nice since everybody seems to be mad. Here we go. I love Soungarden and they were really good last night. Im glad they got bac together. Chris Cornell has one of the best voices.

November 10, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  58. chuck

Will all of you get a life?!

November 10, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  59. alexa

Who the hell cares!
    I love Conan-
    Dig more news on charlie sheens looney tune butt! Lol
    You rock Conan!

November 10, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  60. Avon Barksdale

I love Conan. He's cool with me. You guys are arguing over a set? Thats crazy.

November 10, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  61. Ruben

I miss watching that white gooffe dude, allright connan youre back?

November 10, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  62. Name*pschaferss

Yes they look a lot a like.

November 10, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  63. Sam

The backdrop picture looks like Jay's did when he first took over The Tonight Show in the early 90's.

November 10, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  64. HBOMB

Hahhahahah

You are all a bunch of no life tools

November 10, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  65. DidYouSee

Did you see that Conan had his d!ck during the whole monologue

November 10, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  66. Brian

To those of you bi***ing about whether or not it was Jay or Conans fault: You are the reason why America is failing

November 10, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  67. Heather

This set looks more like Conan's Late Night set if anything. Team Coco!

November 10, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  68. Kevin RM

Remember the old song, "everything old is new again" . The set pays homage to Carson, who set the standards for late night talk.

November 10, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  69. patty

Jay Rocks!!!!

November 10, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  70. Startover

You've written great stuff for other comedians, who writes for you? Need to find someone better....

November 10, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  71. MM

I love the fact that the moon moves and the set is nothing different from any other late night. I love Conan, and im glad he is back on the air.

November 10, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  72. barton b

Whatever happened to uniqueness? Very similar set indeed.

November 10, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  73. Ruben

never mind the set, it's connan people ,im happy his back on tv

November 10, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  74. C

Based of what is presented here couldn't you say almost all of the late night talk shows do this. I mean its basicly a stage with a desk, chairs/couch, some plants and a backdrop.

November 10, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  75. steve

Would you coco lovers quit whining about Jay Leno. Jay Leno does not control NBC. If NBC did not want Jay Leno to take over, do you really think they would have let him? Really?

You need to understand that networks don't do anything they don't want to do. Actors, talk show hosts, news anchors, whatever, do not have the power to dictate what talent is put on the air. Sure, Jay Leno said he wanted the job back, but that has nothing with actually being given the position.

November 10, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  76. Allison

I agree with Seagal, all last show sets look the same. people are just trying to find something wrong with Conan, and now they're just digging.

November 10, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Really?

It wasn't hard to find anything wrong with Conan... It's hard finding something right with him. He's a talentless loser that can't hold a job on any network. His newest show will be no different.

November 10, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Old Scratch

I guess over 15 years on Late Night does not count for holding a job.

November 10, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Simply Said, well and done

Exactly! He was with NBC for, like, 17 years! My dad hasn't even worked in brodcast media that long!

November 10, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Amy

Well I was not rude to anyone, even if I did not agree with them. JOSH!! You are obviously someone who can not have any type of debate without getting dirty. In a couple weeks Jay or Dave will beat Conan by a landslide. His first shows are novelties.

November 10, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Amy,

I hate to break it to you, but you lack the knowledge and perspective to debate this topic successfully. The numbers aren't a fluke – they're a reflection of the shows' respective demographics. The median age of a Letterman viewer is 56, with Jay not far behind at 55. Conan is tapping into an audience that the other two just can't manage to reach. The other two would wither and die without a team of highly paid writers, whereas Conan is truly off-the-cuff hysterical, and the younger generations realize that and react to it. Why else do you think Jon Stewart asked Conan to help him during the writer's strike instead of Jay or Letterman? He realized that a) Conan us funnier and b) that the growing number of non-geriatric viewers was the most fruitful and relevant target audience.

November 10, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wulf

He's right, Leno and Lettermen are for a much older crowd. All research shows this, just look it up. It's not to say they are not funny in their own right, but the younger generation prefers Conan. Humor is a very personal thing, some people like monty python, some people think it's idiotic. Who's to say what is "funny". Bottom line is that Conan panders to a younger college and post college age group, while Leno and Letterman is more focused for 50+.

November 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • gpc111

Amy may or may not be qualified to debate the subject. One can not make a decision without knowing her. Either way it does not excuse someone's rude and completely out of line comment. get a clue Josh, then come back and comment.

November 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Fla. Fred

A back drop is the least of Conan's problem . What was TBS thinking . NBC let him go ! Smart move on NBC . Maybe if Conan would get over himself . He could stay Employed .

November 10, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  79. Cavemanstyle

It's not the set that makes the show... it's the hosts.

November 10, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  80. rb

I had the same thoughts about comparing it to the Carson set. It seems to work. However, I don't think Carson eve had whales splash his guests from the background set.

November 10, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  81. Mike

I like the set. Conan has always had a retro feel about him.

November 10, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  82. Billie

I agree with Mr. Seagal. A set...is a set.

November 10, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  83. tibi

Isn't this article about set design? Oh, that's right! It is!!!!

November 10, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  84. rob

i liked the new set. i didnt like where he did his monologue though!

November 10, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  85. mikki poirier

i used to watch jay leno all the time but i will never watch him again because of what he did to conan o'brian.some people turn into "bullies"when they have money.

November 10, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Ok, Jay did not do anything to anyone. Conan would have been fired anyway, and they offered Jay his job back and he took it. 5 years ago many knew that Conan was not right for The Tonight Show. NBC or any other network will not keep anyone on who's rating are in the dumps. Please STOP blaming Jay!!

November 10, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

Get a grip Josh – Amy is right. 5 years before Conan took over the Tonight Show his contract was up for renewal for his show. Conan refused to renew unless he was promised the Tonight Show in 5 years. So NBC got Jay to agree to that and promised Jay they would support Jay in another venture. Then 5 years later, Conan is tanking on the Tonight Show. Jay is failing at his Prime Time show. So NBC wants to keep both guys AGAIN, so tries to get Conan to back up the Tonight Show 30 minutes and give Jay a half-hour show before it. Conan refused, so he was fired and NBC moved Jay back in. Jay didn't push NBC into firing Conan, NBC was just being selfish trying to keep both of them and it didn't work. So they decided Jay was the better one to keep. The whole mess started with Conan bullying NBC into giving him the Tonight Show before Jay was ready to leave. NBC was greedy trying to keep both of them happy and it backfired in their face.

November 10, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • scott

They brought Jay back because Conan was driving it into the ground.

November 10, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chicago Jim

It wasn't a choice by anyone creative. Jay is still at NBC because the cost to buy out his contract was much larger than the cost of buying out conan's. It was a business decision made by lawyers yet I still hear idoits blaming jay or coco.

November 10, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Everyone should really get their facts straight. First, conan's contract is really what forced him to leave. His contract said that he would become the Tonight Show host, but it did not designate what time the Tonight Show would start. NBC could technically start the Tonight Show at 3am. But Conan did not want to be the one to cause such a change in the Tonight Show's legacy. Had he had in his contract that the Tonight Show must directly follow the local news, this may be a different siutation. It was cheaper for NBC to get rid of Conan, so that's why they did it.

That being said, Jay Leno is only appealing to the elderly. I'd rather watch Conan than have Jay read me the newspaper. Nobody cares about late night talk shows anymore, anyway.

November 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

Amy's right about conan being fired soon. It would have happened, just like it's going to happen once TBS can no longer take his abysmal ratings. Jay is not the villain here and it's a shame that ignorant people think he is.

November 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitchell

If that's why you stopped watching then you should have never started. You must be unaware of how Jay Leno got The Tonight Show in the first place.

November 10, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

And Jimmy Fallon IS a better replacement than Conan? Seriously?

November 10, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not a hater

Really moron? Jay didnt bully anyone. He didnt want to give up the show to begin with. Blame this on network execs not Jay.

November 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deftoll

Jay did not quit. He did not want to leave the tonight show. The network made a promise to Conan and wanted to honor it. Problem is they should not have made a promise to Conan offering Jays job. He wasn't ready to leave. Did he take his old job back when offered...heck yeah. Why not? He never wanted to leave!!!

November 10, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJ

By the way, Jay Leno's current ratings are lower than Conan's were on the tonight show when Conan left. FACT.

November 10, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • KC

Yes Jay did do something. He made the agreement to leave the Tonight Show and when his new show TANKED he wanted his old job back. NBC and Leno screwed up because look now – Leno's ratings are in the tank. He got beat by Conan on his first night and he's been slowly losing viewers. I have never liked Leno. He's not funny and he has RUINED the Tonight Show.

November 10, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Actually Amy and the rest of you are incorrect. Jay bullied NBC originally into firing Johnny Carson way back when. Jay was the "permanent guest host" at the time. He wanted the actual host job and told NBC he would leave for ABC or Fox if they didn't give him the job. Johnny told NBC he would leave but wanted to finish with his 30th Anniv show, but NBC tossed Johnny just after he got to 29 yrs! After all of those years and hundreds of millions earned by NBC over those almost 30 yrs... he was tossed. aside.

Now 5 yrs ago Conan did the same thing. He too wanted the Tonight Show. NBC didn't want to lose him and promised him the job. Jay had in his contract that he would get a new show and that ended up being the debacle 10pm show 5 days/week.

All of you talk about how bad Conan's ratings were... but you fail to mention that Jay's 10pm show actually was so bad that HE killed the nightly news which in turn KILLED the Tonight Show. It would never have mattered who the host was when Jay had his 10pm show, the lead-in was killing the Tonight Show's lead-in! Go back and check the ratings. The local affiliates were losing millions for each week the Jay 10pm show remained on the air then lost more from the Tonight Show because nobody was watching NBC news!

So this all comes back to Jay, it was his fault with Johnny and is his fault with Conan!

November 10, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Steven Seagal

A desk, a couple of chairs, a backdrop. Isn't that the typical talk show set? Come on, dig us up some Miley Cyrus news to comment on.

November 10, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |