A very kissable 'Glee'
November 10th, 2010

A very kissable 'Glee'

Best. Episode. Yet.

The “Never Been Kissed” episode of “Glee” played to all of the show’s strengths: the ability to deliver a powerful message without feeling schlocky, pitch perfect song choices, and the sheer joy and pain which comes along with being in high school.

The constant torment by a bully is wearing Kurt down and he tells Mr. Schuester, “You and everyone else in this school are quick to let homophobia slide.” This issue is all the more poignant given the recent high profile deaths of gay teens who have committed suicide.

But Kurt’s tormentor has a little secret, and series co-creator Ryan Murphy told the New York Times that the storyline was based on personal experience.

“The turn that character takes is based on someone in my life that I know who did that,” Murphy said. “Somebody who regularly and routinely beat up other gay kids and called them [slurs] and hit them, and the truth of the matter is, he came out of the closet in his 20s and had to get himself to a psychiatrist to deal with the hell he put so many people through because of his own issues.”

And for the record, I love, love, love our new gay hero Blaine. Finally, Kurt has someone to relate to who is cute to boot. And raise your hand if you liked Blaine and his school chums' cover of Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream” better than the original. Yep, I’ve got BOTH hands raised.

The producers of the show also did a great job of weaving in the Coach Beiste storyline and I found myself feeling so much sympathy for her. To have a group of teen boys (and one girl) using you as the image with which to quell sexual urges is plenty insulting.

Murphy said he purposely weaved that particular subplot into the episode. “There are different forms of cruelty that people get away with,” he said. “That episode is completely about accountability.”

I cried a little bit when Mr. Schuester gave Beiste her first kiss. That was such a Schue thing to do. I totally think the boys should have won the mash up if for no other reason than their earnest desire to apologize to the coach. Though the girls killed it with the Bon Jovi "Living on a Prayer" and The Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" mash-up.

I am so glad that “Glee” is back to pulling the heartstrings and giving us amazing TV on a Tuesday night. Well done.

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. Will Stronghold

I thought that episode was pretty terrible episode. I think it's gone downhill quite a while.

November 21, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. celebs911

Glee cast is amazing. I believe they are very talented and they deserve the attention they get. however, they should keep it together as very easy they could lose track, due to fame and lack of having a life which doesn't allow to much reality check.

November 12, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Olivia

I have to say, I LOVE GLee, but im becoming more and more disappointed as the episodes go down. Last nights episode was good, but i wsan't feeling the songs. I mean they were good but i wasnt enjoying them as much as i usually do and as for this episode "beong the best so far" well..that seems to be said about every episode that aires, but im going to say that i think "Duets" was the best so far this season. I'm sure they will get better and i can't wait to see those episodes but till then ill continue to watch the reruns, and wait patiently for the new awesome ones.

November 11, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cinderella

I'm sorry, but this was not a good episode at all. To call this their episode that deals with bullying is extremely weak and I expected something more from a show that deals with a lot of traditionally-taboo TV issues. I realize that it was based off life, but if most kids confronted a bully like that, alone, in a locker room, they would not get kissed. They would get hurt... especially a bully as physical as this one usually is. While I commend them for showing Kurt confronting him, it just wasn't a realistic portrayal and I don't think it'll have the positive influence on gay high schoolers that deal with daily bullying like it could have. And the whole scene with Bieste was just sad. And not because of what she has dealt with/deals with, but because of the way Shu POORLY handled it. He said all the wrong things... the "dude" things... and didn't listen to her, and then kissed her out of pity. If she turns around and starts having feelings for him, I'm going to be more irritated but at least that's a truthful portrayal of that type of situtation. Shu's not a stand-up guy at all, he's a schmooze, and I don't get why they keep portraying him that way... and why people keep falling for it!

November 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

Cinderella go ride your self!

November 11, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lily

Dear Cinderella,
      Kurt DID get hurt in the locker room scene, it is only not visible to the eye...
      If Kurt did everything right from the first time, would he be believable as a teenager ? Anyway, kiss or punch in the lockerroom, in this situation, both can be considered as assault and a warning that confrontation with the bully in a locker room all by yourself may not be the best way how to deal with bullying.
      Luckily this bullying process is covered over several episodes of the series.... so it is not only the locker room scene.
      But I do agree with you about the pitykiss... or are these the seeds for a new storyline ?

January 1, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. profguyinmass

amazing episode, hands down, no question! loved this episode.

November 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Renee

last nights show was awsome and hope for one even better next week

November 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

I sincerely hope that Glee keeps Darren Criss on the show. He is a tremendous addition. Next they need to bring in some of the other members of StarKid Productions. It will only make the show better.

November 10, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sean

Last night's episode was FANTASTIC! I didn't think it was possible that I could love Darren Criss more than I did, but I was proven wrong last night. His character, Blaine, is incredible and he plays the part with such confidence and courage. I agree, Glee's rendition of "Teenage Dream" trumps the original (got it on iTunes lol). My favorite performance was the guys' mash-up...AWESOME!! The sub-plot with Bieste was very sweet. Whether the kiss from Will was a pitty-smooch or not, it was a kind gesture. I love this show for so many reasons, but mainly for its ability to tackle issues such as bullying at time when its really necessary. Way to go GLEE!!

November 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Eddie King

Say, Eddie King really likes "A Very Kissable 'Glee'".

November 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. celebs911

I think they should also make an episode based on some hispanic music for the minorities. That would be very well received, absolutely.

November 10, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mel

I liked last nights episode. I kinda had a feeling that the jock was gay. I hope Kurt and Blaine start dating......2 cute :)

November 10, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joiebean

I completely agree!! Last night's episode was the best so far!! I have it dvr'd and plan to watch it again. Definitely think they are bringing back the show's strength. Fantastic!

November 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. El Jefe

It's commonly known: Glee=Ghey

November 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ El Jefe

Unfortunately I watched a portion of it, and believe me... you have no idea. It was ghey in the literal sense as well.

November 11, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don't hate

So, "ghey" folks are finally getting some prime time recognition and that's a bad thing? Maybe some positive role modles for teens would cut down on bullying and suicide.

To have issue with this programming is simple bigotry.

November 12, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  14. Truth

This garbage should be reason enough to cancel cable and take a sledgehammer to your flatscreen.

November 10, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DougB

Last night's episode was the best this season. Everything seemed to come together–the storyline, the music and a few surprises. I am happy that the Kurt character has someone to at least look up to. That Blaine character and his Glee Club took full ownership of that Katy Perry song–it was a joy to watch. That locker room scene was a shocker. I sort of wondered in previous episodes if he or his other sidekick was going to turn out gay, but the way it happened was a bit abrupt. I felt the storyline for Beiste was well done, although I have to admit the Schuster kiss did creep me out a bit. I really felt sorry for her. I hope this episode is a turning point and from here on out we will be seeing quality episodes. I can't wait for next week's episode with Gywneth Paltrow.

November 10, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Henry Pinkerton

I was getting really tired of listening to Katy Perry's Teenage Dream. It's always on the radio, and "annoying" is a good word for how I felt about this song. Last night's episode of Glee changed that. I was pleasantly surprised! What a great rendition.

November 10, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Just another Fan

I thought this episode was great!! With the "OMG" moments and the songs this was a perfect episode and prefect reason why so many people love this show.

November 10, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. D.S.

OMG! I can't stop thinking about last night's episode! It was close to being the best one this season so far. I feel so bad for Karofsky and can't help but hope that he comes to terms with things. As sweet as Shue's kiss was, I couldn't help but be just a little confused by the whole thing. I wasn't quite sure how to feel, but I understood the intent. Can I just say that Darren Criss (Blaine) is without a doubt my new fav?! LOVE IT!

November 10, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Just another fan

then don't watch the show! You can always change the channel!

November 10, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kay

A real high school probably does, but the poor kids are afraid to come out!

November 12, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |