44th annual CMAs: The live blog
November 10th, 2010

44th annual CMAs: The live blog

Hey country music fans! We'll be live blogging the Country Music Association awards starting at 8 p.m. Will Miranda Lambert sweep the competition? Will Brad Paisley finally will Entertainer of the Year? Check back for instant updates throughout the show.

7:57 p.m. I'm wearing pajamas and my red cowboy boots. No, seriously. Bring on the CMAs!

8:05 p.m. Hands down, Carrie Underwood has one of the strongest voices in the music industry. And the greatest legs...

8:12 p.m. There's a reason they keep asking Underwood and Paisley to co-host this show. They're hilarious!

8:15 p.m. And single of the year goes to... "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum.

8:25 p.m. Count one for Miranda Lambert - song of the year goes to "The House that Built Me."

Nowhere else but at the CMAs does thanking God get such an enthusiastic round of applause.

8:30 p.m. Dear Blake Shelton, we're glad you didn't decide on the OshKosh B’Gosh overalls.

8:40 p.m. With all of the pop music infiltration - Miranda Lambert, Lady A, Taylor Swift - it's nice that the CMAs are still paying tribute to old-school country. Do you think country music is losing touch with its roots? Or is the new trend just helping bring it mainstream?

8:45 p.m A TON of strong competition in the new artist category this year. Every single one of the nominees had a No. 1 hit. But the winner is... the Zac Brown Band!

8:48 p.m. Heard a great story on the radio about the song "As She's Walking Away" today. Apparently one of the members of the Zac Brown Band actually had a silent connection with a girl in a bar one night, but she was with another guy so he didn't say anything. Instead, he wrote a song about it. Ten bucks says she would've dumped that other guy in an instant if she knew who she was exchanging longing glances with.

8:54 p.m. Hello, Kenny Chesney *drool*. In other news, his documentary, "Boys of Fall," released on DVD yesterday.

9:08 p.m. Taylor Swift has said so often that she writes her songs about personal experience that I always find myself wondering who she's singing about. Any ideas for "Back to December"?

Wow, super applause for Sugarland. Check out our behind-the-scenes, all-access video with them from earlier this month here.

9:12 p.m. Vocal group of the year goes to Lady Antebellum!

9:21 p.m. True story: My roommate in college used to have a blanket with Keith Urban's face on it. See, fandom isn't just for Bieber tweens.

9:26 p.m. A standing ovation for Reba McEntire's cover of Beyonce's "If I Were a Boy." Nashville will never get enough of that classy lady.

9:31 p.m. Should've seen that coming. Earlier Brad tweeted this: "Just gave away a chevy w/ my new pal Jeff Gordon. He reminds me of someone...somehow. Can't quite place it..." They do look a lot alike, and I kind of wanted to hear Gordon sing.

9:38 p.m. And Miranda Lambert's "Revolution" wins album of the year! That's two... count 'em.

9:42 p.m. You can always count on Kid Rock to bring the... fringe?

9:52 p.m. If Brad Paisley doesn't win entertainer of the year AGAIN (he's been nominated every year since 2005!) there will be a lot of upset fans. He knows how to play to his audience, that's for sure.

9:58 p.m. Vocal duo of the year goes to Sugarland. Shocking! I think the presenter, Joanna Garcia, was more excited that they won than either of the singers. Kristian Bush was adorable though, telling his father he was right to make him play the guitar. One, two, three... awwwww.

10:08 p.m. Male vocalist of the year goes to Blake Shelton! Score another one for the golden couple. They really are adorable. Or sickening. I haven't decided yet.

"That's about 34 years worth of steps right there for me," Shelton says as he climbs the stage slowly. Reba's crying with pride!

10:19 p.m. Carrie often jokes at her concerts that she can't dance. Is that why she's wearing 600 pounds of dress - to prevent her from moving?

10:25 p.m. Between jokes about Lambert and Shelton's upcoming bundle of joy and Dierks Bentley's "roots," Paisley is cracking me up. A few other award show hosts could take note... just sayin'.

10:30 p.m. We're nearing the end. Where is Gwyneth Paltrow? Yeah, I know - they're saving her to keep those people (ahem, my editor) who are watching solely to see if Paltrow really can sing.

10:38 p.m. Wow! Loretta Lynn can still belt it out. I'm going to skip commenting on her dress because she's adorable.

And female vocalist of the year goes to Miranda! She breaks down into tears and ginormous bear hugs. Reba is crying again.

10:50 p.m. Gwyneth looked terrified up there, but she did Hollywood proud. She was totally "Country Strong" (sorry, had to...) I loved the small smile that appeared on her face halfway through when she realized people weren't booing her off the stage. And she plays the guitar - the lady's a triple threat!

Granted I wasn't blown away, but maybe she and Taylor Swift could chat about a duet.

11 p.m. And entertainer of the year goes to...

BRAD PAISLEY!!!

I heart him so much. "If you see a turtle on a fence post, it had help getting up there, " Paisley says. "And I feel like a turtle on a fence post."

Then he thanks the fans, sounding incredibly choked up. Before thanking everyone else, he talks about his grandpa who told him to learn to play the guitar. "I don't think he ever thought it would draw 20,000 people," Paisley says.

Ok, I'm closing this out before I tear up too. Goodnight everyone!

1. Augustine Dreith

I'd like to thank you for the efforts you've put in writing this blog. I'm hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts from you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my very own site now ;)

March 7, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. abliciou, weight loss,weight loss calculator,weight loss tips,weight loss supplements,weight loss exercise,weight loss programs,weight watchers,s

Attractive component to content. I simply stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to claim that I get in fact loved account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing in your augment or even I fulfillment you get admission to constantly fast.

April 10, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. London ased telephone answering service

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity to your put up is simply cool and i can suppose you are knowledgeable on this subject. Fine together with your permission let me to grasp your RSS feed to stay up to date with approaching post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please carry on the gratifying work.

April 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TOEFL

Nice weblog here! Additionally your web site rather a lot up very fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I get your associate link on your host? I desire my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

April 3, 2012 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Hoombonvemorn

Motor vehicle auto insurance is simply not truly challenging. Conditional on which often maintain your house is through, it may possibly possibly be more an tiny in addition to better section of your financial allowance compared with your neighbors over express ranges. Will be minimum amount for your personal state? I have found this web site very useful to evaluate low cost auto insurance. I'm certainly very happy be here.

December 3, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sunless

see better that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

November 13, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nashvilledeb

Vince Gill RULES! Many people don't realize that Vince came from Rock/Country rock roots (he was a former member of Pure Prairie League.) I live in Nashville and I know of what I speak. And not only is he a very talented and respected artist, he is one of the nicest guys you'll find anywhere. He will wave at anyone that throws up their hand to him and he will stop and talk to any fan or Nashville resident like he's your best friennd. They just don't make many like him anymore.

November 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cindy

Dear Jacque Wilson

So disappointed in your posting! You left out the most important part of the CMAs – George Strait, how could you be so careless, I hang my head in shame of that.

November 11, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brian

saw Miranda lambert live extremely dissapointed left halfway through her set when i noticed my wife texting from boredom..... Eric Church was amazing BTW

November 11, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Wanda

I was so glad to see Miranda take home all the awards she did. I think she is awesome. I also like Brad and Blake but I agree that most of country is alot like the old Rock. Loretta was beautiful. I also agree that Taylor is not a good singer. While I do like some of Kerry's music I think she can also be a bit out there. I think that they need to get back to the country roots however.

November 11, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. B=Dog

"Granted I wasn't blown away, but maybe she and Taylor Swift could chat about a duet"

Great idea.... now we can hear TWO off key, pitch challenged women sing.

Taylor - Please go be a model.

Gwen - Didn't you get your head cut off in that movie?

November 11, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. mike gumban

Do they have to wear hats? Why?

November 11, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

George did...Alan maybe?...Brad...Kenny because he's bald...And Tim, I think...That's all I noticed.

November 11, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. erin

Seriously, have any of you ever looked at taylor swift from the side or heard her sing in person? her voice is very squeeky and immature. and from the side she looks like a opossum! seriously google a picture and look for yourself.
    it makes me sad that she won again. she cant really sing.
    I am so happy for miranda and brad. I have seen both of them in concert and they are AMAZING!!!

November 11, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. SAM

OMG!!!!! Kid Rock and Gwynth Paltrow were the worst!!!!!! What were they thinking........

November 11, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Steven Seagal

This group plays to the lowest common denominator. They think that Paltrow's uppity act somehow brings class to the party. It's kind of like when they buy a box of wine for their trailer. Yeah, it's wine, but you're still drinking it in a trailerpark.

November 11, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

I had to mute the TV when Kid Rock came on. His first single was Bawitdaba...Why is he performing at the CMAs now?

November 11, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  15. gungadind

Let's see – you get an award for being able to sing through your nose?

November 11, 2010 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
  16. Sony Roy

We need a spokesperson in the fight against unemployment. Please help our company as we help the nation.

November 11, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  17. Bo T

Country Sucks! It's the most hated music genre in the World !!!!

November 11, 2010 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Meg

People that leave negative replies on other people's achievements of one of the most popular music genres of the world are buttheads. Go find something else to do.

November 11, 2010 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

Bo, go do some research on what genre it is that sells the most CDs, then report back here.

November 11, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  18. Master_Kush

Shouldnt this story be on Fox News?

November 10, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Countrysucks

Yee-haw! Get an education!

November 10, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bo T

Let's get Billy Bob to play the Saw! Twang! Country Music Sucks!!!!

November 11, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  20. besty

The show was a total joke . . . come on Blake Shelton as male vocalist, he is downright rude and disgusting. The only reason he won, is because he is engaged to Miranda. Entertainer of the Year was a joke this year . . . 3 of 5 nominees didn't even headline their own tour until after the nominations came out, and it was so rigged for Paisley this year, just like it was for Swift last year. Speaking of Swift, she once again proved what a horrid live singer she is. And, of course, there had to be some drama with her. She wasn't going to win any awards, so she had to do something that people would be talking about for years, like the Kanye set up at the VMA's. The truly talented entertainers were snubbed big time.

November 10, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

While I'm never happy with all the awards they give out (well the people the decide to give them to), to call someone rude and disgusting, when you don't even know them shows me how ignorant you are. If you're basing it off his internet personality (what he posts on twitter specifically) you shouldn't judge a person solely on that. Cause I SERIOUSLY doubt that's what he's really like all the time.

Times are changing, country music is changing.

November 11, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

...What did Taylor do that people will talk about for years?

November 11, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  21. karen in texas

Alexy.....really? Daryl Singletary...one of the giants of country music.! I'm impressed with both your knowledge of country music artists and your command of the English language. Who do you think may really need to get a life, hon.

November 10, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Countrysucks

I'd be shocked if anyone in that crowd has an IQ that cracks the triple digits.

November 10, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • twr2422

...but they are all making tons more money than you are so shut up!!!

November 11, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  23. bob

hey alexy learn to spell before you type . know is the word your looking for ha

November 10, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  24. alexy

get a life ppl!!! what r u, hobos with a computer or sumthing???
    And by the way, this crap ain't country!!!!
    u morons dont no what country music even IS!
    Alan Jackson, Joe Diffie, Daryl Singletary,, Hello?!?!?!?!?!? :) :) :)

November 10, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Dick

What foolish dresses

November 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  26. lauren

My first thought to Dierks Bentley performance- why is he singing with Russell Brand? LOL

November 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Clarice Osborne

I love country music! Thanks for always showing up! God Bless America!

November 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  28. nicole

When are Kelly Clarkson and Jason Aldean coming? I wanna see the duet.

November 10, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • dhsimbol

you missed it. SRY

November 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • P.J. Stewart

Kelly Clarkson has the best female voice of the night. Period. And Jason rocks. They were great.

November 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

I totally agree. I think the only person who could have outsung Kelly was Martina and she's just given (or chooses) the worst songs to sing. I liked her last single, but it doesn't showcase her voice at all.

November 11, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  29. Donna

Okay–is it just me or has Taylor's voice drastically improved over the last 6 months? Either that or she was lip syncing that song . . . thoughts?

November 10, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

She wasn't lipsynching, and I was even proud of the lack of background music, but she definitely sounded a lot better than I was expecting.

November 11, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Chase

It's just you. She sounded awful.

November 11, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  30. Lisa

Taylor Swift wrote the song about the dark haired guy, I think he is the wolf in the twilight series, I read that on people

November 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  31. P.J. Stewart

Who is seated next to Reba? Looked like Conan.

November 10, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  32. old scool

Can't wait for Loretta Lynn! Real Country!

November 10, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  33. dhsimbol

Whats the name of the song Brad Paisley just sang about country music?

November 10, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • CNN.com writer Jacque Wilson

Brad actually debuted a new song from his next album tonight. The Boot says it's called "This is Country Music" http://www.theboot.com/2010/11/08/brad-paisley-new-song-cma-awards-this-is-country-music/

November 10, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • dhsimbol

Thank you...do you know where i can get the lyrics?

November 10, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jacque Wilson

Doesn't look like they're out on the web quite yet but I'm sure if you give it a couple hours a fellow fan will transcribe them for you!

November 10, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • dhsimbol

November 10, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. wilma howie

This isn't the country music I was raised on. Sounds like more rock and just plain loud music that you can't understand. Very disappointed in the show. Hope Miranda Lambert takes more of the awards. I really do like her!

November 10, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  35. codegoddess

Enough of Taylor and Kenny, hope a real country artist wins it all

November 10, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Mary

Back to December is about Taylor Lautner :)

November 10, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

Yeah, I'm really questioning why the writer didn't know this. It's not a big secret, and you don't even have to be a country fan to know that. Do some research, lady!

November 11, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  37. kiki

Looking forward to seeing Gwyneth Paltrow perform.

November 10, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  38. lisa

I thought she was just shocked to get a standing ovation(it looked to me like audience was standing).

November 10, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • mjinmd

After sitting all night, the audience will do almost anything to stand up and stretch!

November 11, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mike

Did anyone else think Kenny sounded like a back American Idol audition?

November 10, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jane

*not connected to her

November 10, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • mjinmd

I'm right there with you not connecting to Taylor Swift. I can only ask: Why do some people thinik she can sing? Every note is a hesitation and off key. Her father's money buys her a lot of publicity and fame.

November 11, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jane

When Taylor Swift's song was over, what was her look and the mouthed, "What?!" all about after they held a shot on Dierks Bentley?! Even Carrie Underwood looked caught off guard! What happened?!

November 10, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • CNN.com writer Jacque Wilson

Good question! Your guess is as good as mine. Anyone else have any idea what happened?

November 10, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane

Maybe she was super confused as to why they focused on Dierks Bentley since he's married...and her connected to her in any way...?!

November 10, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaime

Jane- I noticed that myself. Probably won't find out until after the show.

November 10, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lauren

I read on another blog- that a bandmate tweeted shortly after that she was surprised by the standing O. who knows?

November 10, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

I just assumed that was her Taylor way of saying "Gee, golly, thanks for clapping for me." Love the girl, and I'm all for humility, but I find hers to be very artificial. You're the biggest star in the world, we expect you to have a big head!

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  42. Tracy

Who was the woman who presented the Song of the Year (that Miranda Lambert won)?

November 10, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • CNN.com writer Jacque Wilson

That's Kellie Pickler! You might remember her as the ditsy one from "American Idol"

November 10, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sony Roy

We need a spokesperson for BAFU as we Boost the Morale of unemployed people across America. We need your helphttp://www.bafuusa.com/DIAMOND_MORALE_BOOSTER.php

November 11, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |