Screenwriter responds to Jessica Alba's ELLE interview
November 9th, 2010

Screenwriter responds to Jessica Alba's ELLE interview

Have some constructive criticism for Jessica Alba? Fire away. The actress tells Elle magazine for their December cover story that she can take it.

“I’d been so afraid of criticism ever since I was young. Every time I’d get a critique or some redirection, I’d always just take it very personally,” Alba said. Nowadays, though, she has “no problem with it. It’s just a chance to try things a different way.”

And if those criticisms are about her choice of roles, Alba wouldn’t disagree.

“I know I haven’t been swimming in the deep end with some of the movies I’ve done,” she said. “I wasn’t trying to. I knew what they were.”

When it comes to her craft, Alba has noticed something about “good actors," she says. They “never use the script unless it’s amazing writing. All the good actors I’ve worked with, they all say whatever they want to say."

That last quote may be the one that causes Alba to draw on her ability to withstand critique. Screenwriter John August ("Charlie's Angels"; "Big Fish") has responded to Alba’s statement that good actors go off the script if they don’t have “amazing writing” in a blog post titled, “Oh, Jessica.”

“I have to believe she was misquoted, or excerpted in some unflattering way,” August begins. “Oh, Jessica. Where to start? … Following your logic, you’ve never been in a movie with both good actors and amazing writing. That may be true, but it might hurt the feelings of David Wain, Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller."

Additionally, August notes, "You’re saying your co-stars who delivered their lines as written are not 'good actors.' Awkward."

August then concludes, “Screenwriters can be your best friends. We are pushovers for attractive people who pay attention to us. I wrote that bathtub scene in 'Big Fish because Jessica Lange made brief eye contact with me. So if you’re not getting great writing — and honestly, you’re not — ask to have lunch with the screenwriter. I’ve seen you on interviews. You’re charming. That charm could work wonders.”

Filed under: Celebrities

1. mfemagazine

Jessica Alba made the statement based on previous experiences discussed with other actors. There are some good and bad scripts in the movie business and her statement speaks on the bad ones. If screen writers have a problem with Jessica Alba’s statement, then they need to write an amazing script for Jessica and prove her wrong.

November 10, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. celebs911

Katie Perry's wedding with Russell was an amazing event...

November 9, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Carla

Alba is a mediocre actress. Always has been. Always will be.

November 9, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Matt

Only those of us who have ever been interviewed and had our interview edited for millions to read really have any legitimate insight. Interviews are about selling and making $$....surely Elle didn't have any incentive at all to make some interesting edits. An 'editor' has a job for a reason. :)

November 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lawoman

She may have a pretty face but she sure is a ding dong in my books. And to me that makes her look wayyyy lesss attractive! She always says the dumbest things, and I don't think after that many f-ups that she has learned a damn thing..too bad for her.

November 9, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jason

Finally, a chance for John August to use someone else to further his career. Charlie's Angels? Big Fish? Really? This guy has no room to say anything, to anyone, about anything. Ever. He's sort of like a stage mom, who's kid has very little talent. No matter what anyone tells you, you always think your kid is a star. In this case, his will always be the best script, and will always be the "go-to" guy for amazing script-work....just ask him, he'll tell you just how great each of his scripts were. Granted, no one else will.

November 9, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. celebs911

we will soon write a prediction for Jessica Alba..in the mean while check our post on Rihanna and Chris Brown?

November 9, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. Eddie King

Say, Eddie King likes "Screenwriter responds to Jessica Alba's ELLE interview"

November 9, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  9. Slobowitz

I'd hit that.

November 9, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. kiki

I think Jessica Alba is a very beautiful women but, she can't act. She should take a break from acting and invest into some serious acting lessons. It's always a good idea to continue to study your profession.

November 9, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |