November 8th, 2010

Coco returns: The live-blog, with exclusive opener

At long last, the premiere of "Conan" has arrived. We sat through a "60 Minutes" interview, a live CoCo cam with dancing tacos and plenty of promos.

But tonight, we'll finally get to see what Conan O'Brien will bring to TBS at 11 p.m. ET. We're ready to get this live-blogging going - join in after the jump.

10:33 p.m. Less than half an hour to go!  Does everyone have their Coco costumes on?  We're all dressing up, right?  Right?

10:38 p.m. I guess I should officially kick this thing off... you know, for both of you currently joining me.  (Hi, mom and dad.  Send money.)  So, for the next hour and twenty minutes we'll be recapping the very first episode of "Conan" on TBS.  Sit back.  Relax.  Clean out your shot glasses, and stay tuned for the greatest thing on television since the invent of "Cops."

10:55 p.m. Five minutes!  I think my excitement has frightened the dog.  Though he might just be a little gassy.  Yeah.  It's probably that.

10:59 p.m. One minute!  One minute left in regulation!

11:00 p.m. Bring it!

11:01 p.m. "Godfather" cold open.  Conan gets lit up like Sonny on the causeway!  Survives.  Becomes a deadbeat, unemployed dad.  Eventually takes on some loser jobs.  (Apologies to any clowns.)

11:03 p.m. Still in the cold open... CNN's own Larry King saves a suicidal Conan from jumping off a bridge and encourages him to go to basic cable.  Nice!

11:04 p.m. First look at the new open.  Snazzy.  Love that the band is called the Basic Cable Band.  Great to hear Andy intro Coco again!

11:05 p.m. Seriously.  What did my dog eat?  Awful.

11:06 p.m. First look at the new set... she's a beauty!  Desk is in the center and he's doing his monologue in front of it.  Background appears to be Santa Monica.  That, or Havana.

11:07 p.m. Joked that the show's name is "Conan" so he can't be replaced.

11:09 p.m. "Comma, Brett Favre's penis."   Thus ending Conan's recap of everything that's happened since he left the "Tonight Show."

11:11 p.m. Yes!  Only eleven minutes in and we already have the Masturbating Bear!  I've literally dreamed of this moment.  (Things are weird at home.)

11:14 p.m. First commercial.  Stinky dog is going outside immediately.  Now, for those of you who were wondering: The beard is here.  It's amazing that it's become as big a part of his persona as his hair.  Overall, I'd say the opening bit was decent, and the monologue was surprisingly tame.  I think they're saving the good stuff.  But at least we've got our favorite bear back!

11:17 p.m. First shot of Andy and Conan together at the desk – strange ginormous moon hanging between them.  OK, apparently it's remote controlled.  I wonder how much they spent on this?  Totally worth it.

11:19 p.m. Conan busts out a Coco Halloween mask which Andy thinks looks like an Asian Val Kilmer.  The packaging says "Ex-Talk Show Host."  Andy and Conan each put one on and it looks like they're about to rob a bank.  Andy says "inside it smells like tears."

11:22 p.m. Fun Ricky Gervais bit – he recorded several congratulatory messages for Conan, each predicting failure and wishing him well with his next career move (good luck at the Food Network).  This led to next commercial break and a nice sweeping shot of the studio – really looks terrific.  Very classy.

11:28 p.m. First guest revealed – the curator of something something something Nutcracker.  Basically, it was some random old lady with a giant nutcracker.  And now she’s in the parking lot.  Naturally.  Before she left, she gave Coco a leprechaun nutcracker.

11:29 p.m. “Second” First Guest: Seth Rogen.  “I’m so glad everyone more famous was busy right now.”  Mentions that he’s engaged.  Whatever.  I miss fat Seth Rogen.

11:30 p.m. Seth Rogen drops first curse word, but because we're a family-friendly blog, we can't repeat.

11:33 p.m. Bulk of the conversation with Seth Rogen is about marijuana. Then they move on to talking about his new movie "The Green Hornet."  So, we're starting off with weed and comic books.  The Leno audience is never going to watch this.  And that's just fine.  It's the old Coco!

11:35 p.m. Not liking the plant behind the desk and guest chair.  It looks faded and fake.  I should know.  I have the only house in Atlanta with blooming flowers.  Thanks, Michael’s!

11:40 p.m. We're back.  Next guest is Lea Michele from the show "Glee." Conan also addresses the expense of the moving moon, which he jokes cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

11:42 p.m. Talking about the controversial GQ Glee photo shoot.  I’m a classy guy, so I have the magazine right here in front of me.  If only I could read.

11:44 p.m. Random crashing sound in the background.  Conan makes a basic cable joke.  Something expensive is probably now broken.  Meh.  Drop in the bucket.

11:50 p.m. Conan jamming with Jack White – beautiful black and gray Gibson Les Paul.  The whole band is in on this very Elvis-sounding song, and Jack is absolutely killing it!  I'm assuming this is the stage they'll be using for future musical guests; it has a rough industrial warehouse feel to it – sort of like the storage unit where I was born.  They'll make movies about me someday... no they won't.

11:52 p.m. I think I heard Conan mention that he and Jack wrote this song together.  (Though I may have just made that up.)  Hopefully we'll see more of Coco jamming with his guests.  He's got the chops.

11:58 p.m. Jack White on the set discussing the record he made with Coco.  Conan’s photo on the album looks like a mug shot.  Also just noticed that Conan’s ditched the tie.  Rock Star Conan!

11:59 p.m. …And show number one is in the books.  Overall it was a fairly solid performance.  Glad that they didn't try to cram every old joke and gimmick into this one – plenty of time for all that.  The best part is that Conan, Andy and the band all seem totally at ease, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out in the coming weeks and months.

12:00 a.m. Time to let the dog in.

1. He needs a better show for himself...he needs better focus

June 16, 2013 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Elouise Valdiviezo

you're really a just right webmaster. The website loading velocity is amazing. It sort of feels that you're doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you've performed a fantastic activity in this subject!

June 16, 2013 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Keith Pritchard

November 11, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. Gothika

Borrinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!

November 9, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. celebs911

Happy Birthday to Conan's son Beckett! He is turning 5 today. Blessings! :) From BabyCelebs411 we are giving you a little gift of a concise, astrological report.

November 9, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jillmarie

Can somebody please tell me why he's calling himself Coco?

November 9, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Tom Hanks was one of the first guests when Conan took over the Tonight Show. Tom combined the initials of Conan's full name, COnan Christopher O'Brien, to come up with COCO. I guess a spoof of Hollywood names, Brangelina, TomKat, etc.

November 9, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shelby

I never really cared for his sense of humor, but he really lost me once he started whining after they switched back to Jay. And "Team Coco"? Lame. Unfortunate that he couldn't man up and move on with dignity.

November 9, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kimberly

YAWWWWN! WHO CARES! He's a goober and not funny at all. They all SUCK! Constantly bashing your rivals, bashing our presidents, and having guests that have to smoke dope on stage to get ratings is just 100% PATHETIC!!! Even Bill Maher has lost his edge by becoming a tea party basher. STOP ALREADY! I'll watch BENNY HILL re-runs before this schlock any day of the week....LoL.

November 9, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. steve

..i certainly hope Conan will have Chris Elliott on soon.. I have been waiting years for a "Cabin Boy" reunion between Chris and Andy.. I figure if Letterman can reunite Sonny and Cher..

November 9, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  10. William

Yaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnn.....

November 9, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. D Man

Conan is his own biggest fan ! What a goose.

November 9, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. Steve

Conan said he didn't want to trash "The Tonight Show" by moving it to midnight, but he felt it was OK to take the legacy of "The Tonight Show" and trash it with masturbating bears, Triumph the insult comic dog, and fake Tom Cruse. Conan is funny, but he just is not "The Tonight Show." He can't pull off a big monologue, his comedy bits are uncomfortable or too far out there for most audiences which is unfortunate because his interview skills are top notch. He is able to connect with guests in a way Leno or Letterman can't.

Unfortunately, from what I saw last night, Conan is still doing his old Late Night show, just with a bigger audience and a new set.

November 9, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. Millie Bea

I think Conan had a nervous breakdown when he was removed from The Tonight Show and realized that he would end up in TBS...He's never going to get to sit at the Big Boys table and that he cannot grasp. See how much he has aged since the transition?- he's put on ten years in his face. He'll get his usual crowd- but remember he wasn't winning Late Night against Craig Ferguson- he's not going to get any draw on TBS-unless he can get Osama bin Laden for a guest. Just the facts... sorry Conan people....

November 9, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. guest

Why was Ricky Gervais there on the show? What has he done apart from creating the gayest show 'the office'. He is sooo irritating. I am tired of British Accent on American TV. It sux big time.

November 9, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rob

Great show Conan. Thanks for not being 'safe' like Jay or all about Dave. Finally someone interesting.

November 9, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  16. gabe molnar

Loved it! Finally he is back! Excellent comeback! Or great new beginning!!
    Thanks Conan!

November 9, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  17. kiki

Very Funny! I loved Conan's opener.

November 9, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  18. INXSARY

It was ok.

November 9, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  19. Pat Orenduff

Conan O'Brien- simply the best.

November 9, 2010 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  20. Kjiggs

Very nice having a real funny man back on late night. Leno is old and lame. Just dont like the basic cable thing. Doesnt seem right.

November 9, 2010 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
    • schlock

This guy sux eggs so bad. Only childish morons find him funny. He is boring and will be surprised if he lasts a year.

November 9, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  21. Bernie

How many times do we have to see the word "Coco". Ok we get it-geez. By the way, the first show, you DON'T bring out your top celebs. They didn't need that to pull in the big ratings for this one. They will need the big celebs to continue the big ratings for the next two weeks to be a success.

November 9, 2010 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  22. Heidi

Conan is hilarious and if you think otherwise, you're retarded.

November 9, 2010 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
    • oogha

I think only retards will liek this show. and what the heck is this "team coco" crap? what a bunch of dog doodo

November 9, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  23. isaac

george lopez blows. period.

November 9, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  24. holly

hardly kept my attention, i really struggled to like it. Where's the cleverness, all of that nbc bashing is old, move on conan. George lopez is far better to watch. I would love to see the smart commentary come back or something, but i am skeptical, it's all so narcisstic... i do like andy tho

November 9, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  25. Jarrett Bellini

Thanks, Doug! I must've misheard him on that.

November 9, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  26. markhill

I know teh show will sick so i will just stick with Jay........rating will be about 0.8 is my guess!

November 9, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  27. Doug

They didn't write that song. It's an old rockabilly number called twenty flat rock.

November 9, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  28. John holmes

Thank you for coming back conan.......third

November 9, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  29. Loud Noises

@Nick- If she SUCKS, then why would you dump her. That sounds like a keeper to me.

November 9, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  30. Nick

Hi everyone. Conan is awesome. My ex-girlfriend sucks.

November 9, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
    • randy

Don't get me wrong please , I used to like CONAN ! But this new show was TERRIBLE in the worst regard ! IT SUCKED !!!! CONAN FIRE ALL OF YOUR WRITERS AND TRY AGAIN, you RED HEADED FOOL !!! WHEW This was like a SKUNK getting hit on the road right outside your house ! PEWWWWW !!!! Randy

November 9, 2010 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Randy, stop trolling. If you didn't like it, speak your peace and move on.

November 9, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • oogha boogha

geez – what a waste of time. I will give this a few more looks and if it stays as stale as it was – will have to goout with your GF.

November 9, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  31. Matt

You can watch Conan's hilarious opening sketch from tonight's show here:

November 9, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
    • bx

really. there was so much more to be said by Conan. if you want to be heard again..be a part of the unsaid spoken message then comment on where you have been, what you are about and what you can make light of. you are in the business of pushing the issue and how it can be be a part of an undeveloped conscious. be creative in you delivery but never lose sight of he fact hat you hold the attention of many. be what we all need.. aware...loving and responsible

November 9, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
    • bx

really. there was so much more to be said by Conan. if you want to be heard again..be a part of the unsaid spoken message comment on where you have been, what you are about and what you can make light of. you are in the business of pushing the issue and how it can be be a part of an undeveloped conscious. be creative in you delivery but never lose sight of he fact that you hold the attention of many. be what we all need.. aware...loving and responsible

November 9, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
    • randy

Conan should have remained off the air ! What a terrible disappointment waiting for so long to see his show and it was a COMPLETE BOMB !!! I guess he couldn't get anybody currently interesting on the show ? Why would anybody bother to put this crap on ? What a waste of money ! IT SUCKED !!!!!......Randy

November 9, 2010 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Donna Jo Noll

LOVED THE SHOW, CONAN!!!!

November 9, 2010 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |