A quick getaway on 'The Walking Dead'
November 8th, 2010

A quick getaway on 'The Walking Dead'

Editor's Note: If you don't like spoilers of any kind, you should probably stop reading now.

It didn't quite have the artistry or the slow-building dread of the Frank Darabont-directed premiere episode, but Sunday night's "The Walking Dead" certainly had plenty of pulse-pounding moments.

We first got another glimpse of the camp where Rick's family is staying (and where his wife Lori has started a relationship with Shane). So far, I'm really not that interested in what happens there. It took a little too long to get back to Rick in that tank.

When we finally did, we saw a pretty ingenious escape engineered by Glenn, who had been hiding out in an abandoned store with another group of survivors. Among them was Andrea, whose sister Emma was in the other camp, and Merle, whose leadership quickly came to an end after he was revealed as a racist bully.

Glenn, however, is the fan favorite here - and for good reason, since he made smart decisions most people in a horror film don't make, like refusing to allow others to come down to the sewers behind him so as not to block his path of escape.

Since zombies had also decided to hang out in the sewers, Rick and Glenn had to make the difficult decision to chop up a zombie body in order to drape themselves with his guts, in the hopes that they would go unnoticed among the other zombies (hey, at least he was an organ donor!). If you made it this far into the show, you were committed.

Despite a rain storm - which caused them to be discovered - Rick and the others got away (except for Merle, who was left handcuffed on the store building's roof). After a momentary fear that Glenn didn't make it out, we saw him speeding down the empty interstate - going the opposite direction - in a sports car.

Here's hoping things pick up at that camp, because that's where the story seems to be headed next. What will happen when Rick reunites with his wife? Awkward.

Are you still on board with "The Walking Dead?" Any favorite characters (or zombies) so far? Share your thoughts on video, or in the comments below.

1. skidd

Great show definatly better than ep 2.There will be 13 episodes in season 2

November 11, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MNWCSULT

As long as they are going to stray from the comic "which I have not read" I would like to see the zombies break into the bunker where the U.S. senators are hiding. That would be special.

November 10, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tay Dibiase

My gut is tellin me that the zombie i think in the purple suit is gonna be "smarter" than the others sort of like an alpha zombie. i love the show I cant wait to til its time to feed the zombies that should be enough of character introduction

November 8, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. harry

The reason why we will never know how the apocolypse happens is bc there is no point to know. Who cares? What? Is rick gonna stop and ask what happened?

The walking among the zombies was in the graphic novel – which, I believe, came before shaun of the dead. Btw love how the show is going its great that they don't follow the GN word for word bc if they would I wouldn't be scared or surprised and there would be no point in watching it.

November 8, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. CMGroovy

I am too fascinated with zombies to stop watching...Keep it coming!!!!

November 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. joe bagga'donuts

i like the show though its really a rip off of night of the living dead...same old stuff with better acting. it makes no sense that the partner would visit rick in the hospital but then just leave him there. also why was he not attacked while in the hospital..it seems the other patients were. the love interest is too cheesy. i'm not sure what's holding my interest and i can't see this as a viable long term show...unless it gets wacky like Lost did.

November 8, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Greatdark

It seems there are way too many precursors in the show that tell me whats going to happen next week before the preview of the next show. When the two cpps in ep:1 were talking about their wives which leads to the current relationship quandry. The guy being locked on the roof with the tools being knocked over, i'm assuming something happens there.

November 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DDKB

LOVE IT! finally some thing worth watching that isn't tween oriented or totally just stupid!

November 8, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. nate

Im addicted to the show. love it!

November 8, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. John Richmond VA

The show is really great and I look forward to episole #3. Where is the helocopter going or come from? The army is going to pop back up and might provide and interresting new twist. As for the camp and the wife – not very imaginative there. Well maybe. However, great show.

November 8, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Glenster

Finally a show that shows the ugly truth and nature of humans....and zombies!

November 8, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kirkola

A little suprised they started it off with the doggie-style in the woods scene but escape scene that followed was definitely cool. Faking out the Zombies was stolen from Shaun of the Dead but I liked this method better.

November 8, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JMaher1972

Romero's work was poorly done? How can we say that? This series would not have A CHANCE without Romero. It is unbelievable how quickly we forget our history. Anyway, show is awesome. Wife HATES Zombies and is addicted to this. Great Stuff!

November 8, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • kermit Roosevelt

Wife is on board?

(rubs hands)

Ahhh, another convert to our cause. :-)

November 8, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

WATCH SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD AND TELL ME THAT MOVIE ISNT GARBAGE

November 8, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Fitz

In Shawn of the dead the main characters do the same, act like zombies and move amongst them. No sliming though in the movie.
    Good episode, premiere was better. Ohh and let's not forget, the hospital seen in similar to 28 days and resident evil. But the presentation is unique, in that the main characters discovers the living dead sooner rather than later.:.

November 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kentrockafeller

wish they would have kept the cast smaller. was digging the slow, quiet, creepiness of the first episode (and the supporting cast was much better in that episode). A little cheesy this time around. If the dialogue improves i guess it could be good but if not, kill more of them off!!!

November 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. paulo

Great series. Good job amc!!

November 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  17. kermit Roosevelt

Definitely thought the scene between Michael Rooker and the big black guy was written by a first year Creative Writing class. Thank God for Rooker whose performance elevated it a bit.

The first half hour felt like it stopped the series cold, then it took off again in the last half hour...close call, gang...I'm rooting like crazy for this to succeed.

And want to give props to Kim Paffenroth, author of the zombie novel "Dying To Live", which opens with the protagonist killing a zombie and then opening its wallet and offering a prayer for the soul of the dead man. Never saw that before then and it wasn't in WD comic series, so I'll venture to say it was Paffenroth's invention. Not plagiarism, just a good idea and I hope it grows into zombie canon as much as headshots and flesh-eating. The subgenre picks up little bits like this along the way and it gets all the better for them...

November 8, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Dave

Last night's episode was pretty decent but as for the fling going on between his old partner and his wife may hide some secrets. I believe that they had an affair before the WD started. I am just assuming since I have not read the comic.

November 8, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  19. misty

I CANT BELIEVE RICKS WIFE DIED, OMG, WHAT WILL HIS KIDS DO!!!!

November 8, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

LOL FAIL WE ALL KNOW THAT HSE DOESNT DIE TILL THEY GET TO THE PRISON AFTER SHE HAS SHANES BABY

November 8, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Alex S.

This is a damn good show! Kudos AGAIN to AMC for having the giant klanking balls, vision, and conviction to produce a show unlike anything else seen before. Can't wait to where The Walking Dead takes us as AMC has raised their own bar even higher.

November 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cowbell

Maybe I missed the episode on SLN, but what do the 'cowbell' references mean?

November 8, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • seanetta

You could probably go to Youtube to see episode, but I believe it is an ironic way of saying bring on more absurdity or give me more of what is not called for.

November 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. seanetta

I will add my voice(& BRAINS) to those that are intrigued by the genre, but I cannot help feeling let down by the dialogue & storyline. Do not get me wrong, I am enjoying the gore effects, make-up, & certain situations. My complaint is that the characters are not acting as if they are involved in a true end of the world scenario. For instance, if the other group of survivors went to the the city for supplies, why did they choose a department store over a hardware or a grocery store (new outfits)? I had to laugh at the number of times they ran up & down the staircase (elevators out) to get to & off the roof. How did this 2nd group get into the city, what happened that they ended up being trapped inside the store? Did someone send out a press release to all the survivors to call the infected "Walkers", this term was used by two characters who have yet to show they know one another. I will keep watching, but I am hoping for better/smarter choices to be made.

November 8, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mausoleum guitar

Love this stuff. My band Mausoleum is based on Zombies and such tales.
    We have already written tribute songs to Night of the Living Dead,Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead as well as other cult classics like Tombs of the Blind Dead, ReAnimator, and Brainiac.
    This is some great material for the next album.
    Zombies Rule!!!!

November 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • kermit Roosevelt

though i'm not terribly supportive of people using this forum to pimp their own stuff (or i would as well), props go to anyone who references "tombs of the blind dead". respect.

November 8, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

LOLOL YOUR SO ORIGINAL EVER HERE OF THE MISFITS

November 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  24. legendale

I also really like this show and will be a regular viewer. However, I am concerned that is suffers from the same problem as the movie "28 days later" did. The show is very good when it has humans dealing with zombies but when it has humans dealing with humans it is not so good. I hope this works itself out as the series goes along.

November 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Joyce

Love this series. Can't wait for next week. It will be interesting when Rick finds his wife and son. You'd think his wife would still be in mourning, thinking Rick was dead. She sure hooked up with Shane pretty quickly...unless she was doing that already.

Great show. Maybe Emmy will recognize?

November 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Scott Symons

2nd episode was not as good as the first. The series is just starting so I am willing to give the man who directed Shawshank Redemption time to build the story.

November 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Ralph

Until the Walking Dead, Zombies have been confined to 90 minute movies where a group of remaining humans get cornered by zombies, find a way out, then escape to live happily ever after. This is the first time in a Zombie flick where you get to consider day-to-day life after Zombies take over society. WD has done for TV Zombies what 28 Days Later did for them on the big screen, thanks largely to Frank Darabont's genius. AMC is fastly becoming my new favorite channel for Sunday night television.

November 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  28. randell

I love it.

November 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Todd Blackwell

I hope the affair between Lorie and Shane ends the same way as the comic, and that the final episode this year ends with the group coming over a hill to find the prison. THAT'S when things REALLY become interesting!

November 8, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Bulloch

Walking Dead is probably the best thing on TV today. The show draws you in and, before you know it, it's already been an hour and you're craving more. If vampires and werewolves can have their own show, why not Zombies?

November 8, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Liz

I'm also enjoying this but am worried about some of the choices their making. Maybe "confused" is a better word than "worried." I'm confused as to how they're choosing to move the plot forward as well as omitting any talk about the "cause" of the disease, things like that. I realize that the director must be doing this on purpose, I would just like to understand WHY.

November 8, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Michael Surbaugh

I recently watched the BBC produced Dead Set which was really really well put together and now I'm intirgued by The Walking Dead. I'm in zombie heaven.

November 8, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jon

Great show. I've been reading the graphic series since they began, so it kinda sucks knowing what is going to happen. But I love the show. Exactly how I pictured it while reading them.

November 8, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  34. solowsporty

Hey usafbiker, try looking for it tonight on AMC, they may do a showing of it tonight. I have Ondemand and missed it last week but it was on my ondemand for free the following night.

November 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  35. RS

I watched last night, and yes, I just love Glenn. He was funny, but he was also very smart. He made complete & total sense when he was getting ready to go into the sewers, which made me applaud that there was someone in a horror show that actually had brains & used them. And I did love the whole "organ donor" scene. I had just read about that scene in Entertainment Weekly (the one with Chris Evans on the front as Capt America) on Friday, and to see it was just as good. I really like this show. Hopefully next season, there'll be more than 6 episodes.

November 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  36. solowsporty

Loving the show... I just wish there wasn't so many damn commercials. I felt like I watched more in commercials than actually brain eating zombies.

November 8, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  37. usafbiker

Dang!!! I missed it. Does anyone know if it'll be replayed??? and when??

November 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • RS

@usafbiker- AMC does replays every Friday at 10pm or you can prolly go on-line to amcthewalkingdead.com & watch it. Hulu.com may even have it.

November 8, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dulciana

amc on demand should have is available too.

November 8, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  38. David

Maybe I missed something in the first episode.....did the sheriff ever wonder what had actually happened when he woke in the hospital???? and why every one is almost dead.

November 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Chris

Great show. Much better than 99% of any Zombie movies out there. This show and The Event prove that all hope is not lost for TV original series.

November 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  40. keli

Strayed from the comic. So far, the show is good, but the comic is better. I'm hoping the next few episodes will change my mind.

November 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  41. samueltx

I am loving it. Not cheesy, I was afraid it was going to be lame, I mean being TV and all. As a long time fan of Zombies, going back to my freshman year at college (in the 70's) I am really liking this show. Along with the decades past great/good ones, The Shield, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, The Closer, Monk, 24, and Nip&Tuck, this is really making TV a great spot for entertainment. This is done very well. Even my wife is liking it, and well, lets face it, she is not a zombie fan.

November 8, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • usafbiker

I agree!! The Shield and Nip Tuck were great shows. Sons of Anarchy is bad a$$!! My favorite show. I'm into AMC now, because of this show.

November 8, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  42. bobbo

A great series. Funny how it can be done so well on TV after years of George Rommero's poorly done movies.

November 8, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  43. Harry from Suffolk VA

This show is just amazing brilliant. I think the sheriff and Gleen are definnately my two favorites. Glenn may not be a leader but hes smart. He says it straight and knows what needs to be done. He may of thrown up but who wouldnt to throwing some human parts on yourself. My only thing is think about it don't get any guts on your skin, eyes, mouth. Well I worked for a slaughter house (cows). Doesnt mater what you wear your getting it all over. There is a reason why we had shower stalls. Blood will get everywhere and it stains bad. Its TV so I dismiss that fact because the characters even the racist ones are very belieaveable. LOVE IT so far.

November 8, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  44. Penny

Love the show so far first cw with vanpire diaries , showtime with true blood now amc with walking dead love it we needed a little change ..

November 8, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  45. brandon peters

best show ever

November 8, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  46. cole

love the show so far im completely hooked. oh my god when they were walking with all the walkers soooo supenseful

November 8, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  47. Christopher Walken

More cowbell!

November 8, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  48. citizenUSA

I've always been fascinated with zombies, even the ones you'd see in the old black and withe movies. Remeber when zombies only ate brains? I think this show is great so far and kudos to those who had the courage to bring it to mainstrem TV.

November 8, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  49. allbutsix

Digg zombie flicks. This does not disappoint, however, it could be a bit better with a bigger budget.

November 8, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  50. capt. slapazombie

So far so good! The first episode was definitely creepier, but last nights episode was intense. Basic/Premium cable channels are really struggling to win the ratings by putting so many good shows on Sunday nights. My DVR goes crazy trying to record Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Eastbound and Down, and The Walking Dead all at once. On a positive note: Sundays are more enjoyable and the stress of Mondays are definitely minimal.

November 8, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  51. brian

its a really good show so far at 1st i tought it was gunna be lame but its getting really intense so far. so far so good for me. i like spenidn time on sunday jus watching this show its becoming one of my favorites so far!!

November 8, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  52. Pete

OK, people are getting a bit ahead of themselves. Its OK so far with great potential. The story telling is so so ... I mean what department store keeps rubber gloves at all, much less in the same area as jewelry? The affair was leaked too soon and now I only hope for the wife and partner to become zombie snacks. And the injection of racism among the only 5 living people in the city seems dumb ... I would think survival would supercede prejudice ... but besides that ... great great potential and I hope things pick up.

November 8, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • OtakuLord

Hey Pete... part of the story here is that people are shedding the veils that they use to hide themselves from each other. They are no longer hindered by "society" and the way you have to act by being part of that society. I think that the fact he has held onto his racism even though they may be the only people left alive on the planet goes right along with this. Who can say what we would become if we were put in the same situation where we no longer had to maintain our facades...

November 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Pete

The affair plays a HUGE role later in the series.

November 8, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lulu

Yeah Pete, you'd think that but welcome to the real world! (albeit with zombies)

November 8, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Tina

I love this show it is awesome!

November 8, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  54. Joey K

Iam a huge fan of this genre. So far it exceeds my expectations. Wish there were more shows as good as this on a weekly basis.

November 8, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  55. jm

like the show, could have done without the lame love scene, yes some cheesy lines, but entertaining!

November 8, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  56. jenovaunion

Currently the best show on TV without a doubt.

November 8, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  57. leslieanne

What a wonderful distraction from the dismal political miasma that has been swirling around us. In some ways I feel like the walking dead are those politicians. Love this show!

November 8, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Harry from Suffolk VA

I couldnt agree more but at least you know the zombies don't have hidden attentions. They want one thing BRAAAAINS!!!

November 8, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  58. Herby

I'm hooked, awesome series

November 8, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  59. Andy

I am loving the show, I'm just wondering how they can continue to capture our attention as the weeks go on. If Rick is alright reunited with his wife next week, that kind of ends one major plot line of the show. Yes, another one develops when he finds out his partner is having a relationship with her, but still.

November 8, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Don't worry, there are plenty of plotlines.

November 8, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Josh is right, there are a TON of plot lines, assuming they follow the comic. They've strayed a bit, but nothing too major. Keep watching, it only gets better from here.

November 8, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Harry from Suffolk VA

Rick is already getting eyes from the blonde. Yet beyond anything Rick already stated he had problems with his wife in the first episode of fights actually both cops did. Of course that doesnt mean they don't love them none the less. In the end of the world if you thought your siginfigant other was dead wouldn"t you look for the feeling of love.

November 8, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  60. Glenda

I am loving this show, I look forward to next episode, i am going to find the book. I love horror and zombie movies are my favorite so to have this on a weekly really makes me happy, AMC did their thing.

November 8, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  61. Joe

Strayed a little bit from the comic

November 8, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Yeah, but I don't think they strayed too much to really impact the overall flow of the comic. Kirkland has been very vocal about how the TV series will follow the main important parts of the comic, but may stray from time to time to add to the TV suspense. Don't worry though, Darabont himself has said he can't wait to get to the Governor.

November 8, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Mario

According to Kirkman, it's going to stray a bit Joe, and that's probably a good thing. Think about it, could the show scare us if we know every move they'll make already? I say bring it on.

November 8, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

True enough, good point

November 8, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Ace

Last night episode had me at the edge of my seat. The show is as good as the book (thats very hard to do). AMC you got a fan for life!!!

November 8, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  63. Jackie

I don't know if I'll be able to commit. While the premise is good, I found the dialogue in last night's episode to be distractingly cheesy.

November 8, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

I'm so glad I'm not alone on this. I will absolutely continue watching, because the storyline is fantastic (and because I really love zombie stuff). It pains me to rip on a show that I'm enjoying so much, but I really hope the writers can do a bit of a better job in future episodes. The dialogue last night was almost painful in some parts.

The main part that really killed me was the interactions between the group on the rooftop. The writers were trying SO hard to show the whole, "I know we're all different colors and I used to hate you cause you're different but now we have to unite and be friends!" thing, but holy crap was that dialogue terrible. It was like an afterschool special that was suddenly over run by Zombies. I will say that they wrote Glen PERFECTLY, and I was getting a real kick out of him.

Overall, I really like the show. Just please...Writers...You have such an awesome concept to work with. I'm not asking for the 2nd coming of the Godfather, but I've seen Saturday morning cartoons with wittier dialogue.

November 8, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • patman

Im having a hard time caring for these charactors because the dialog is horrible. The department store banter over the necklace for my sister had me switching back to the cowboy game which was much more horrific bloodbath than this snoozefest

November 8, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Eva

I am loving the show thus far. I have always been a fan of zombie movies, so its great to have a weekly show- I just wonder how many twists and turns they can churn out!

November 8, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  65. Kristy

I am loving this show and can't wait until next week. Glenn has certainly become my favorite!

November 8, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • bongsmcj

don't get too attached...

November 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • kermit Roosevelt

now now, bong, be nice to the noobs...and since so many of us have read the original, it may be in the producers' interest to change some things up so we CAN'T predict everything that happens.

November 8, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frakes

Haha thanks a lot bong! If you have ever seen the youtube video of the guy walking out of the book store when the new Harry Potter book comes out and loudly annouces "Hey Snape kills Dumbledoor!" You just made into the woman that yells "NNNNOOOOOO..... you B**** you B****".

November 8, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

What are you guys talking about, I've read up till book 11 in the graphic novel series, and Glenn is still alive and well.

November 10, 2010 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |