Johnny Depp to star in 'Dark Shadows'
November 5th, 2010

Johnny Depp to star in 'Dark Shadows'

Move over, Robert Pattinson - Johnny Depp is about to become the big screen's new sexy vampire. The Hollywood Reporter confirms that the actor will headline a film adaptation of the 1960s supernatural soap "Dark Shadows."

The 47-year-old star of the upcoming film "The Tourist" has reportedly been obsessed with the moody series, which ran on ABC from 1966 – 1971, ever since he was a child. He'll portray lead character Barnabas Collins, a vampire who lives in a manor in Maine and is looking for his lost love.

Tim Burton, who directed the actor in numerous films, including "Edward Scissorhands," "Sweeney Todd" and "Alice in Wonderland," will team up with him again for the fang-tastic thriller, which has been in development for three years.

Depp, who is currently filming "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," is set to begin filming "Dark Shadows" in April.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. dark shadows movie

Very good blog post. I absolutely appreciate this website. Keep writing!

March 18, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Johnny

Can't wait to see this movie!!! p.s. I just found a cool rock song called "Dark Shadows" on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJNE-Cy0vMk

February 11, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. Johnny Depp as Barnabas

Finally Dark shadows on the big screen. I think Raquel Welch would really make a great Elizabth Collins, Not only is Raquel a beautiful older woman , but she is really underated as an actress. Basically because of her pin up girl persona,but she really can act and hopefully Burton and Depp will give her that chance.

February 7, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. ak3

Dr. Julia Hoffman – Sigourney Weaver or Meryl Streep or Susan Sarandon

Angelique – Charlize Theron

Josette/Maggie – Drew Barrymore

Vicky Winters – Christina Ricci

Elizabeth Collins Stoddard – Helen Mirren or Raquel Welch

Quentin – Hugh Jackman

Willie – Jake Gyllenhaal

November 25, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Laura

I loved Dark Shadows!! I still have several "cards" that were in cereal boxes from the TV show that have Jonathon Frid, Angelique and a couple of others!!!

November 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Depp lover

Mr. Depp will make Dark Shadows memorable once again!!

November 8, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. SKY

RUBBISH, THERE ARE WARLOCKS AND WITCHES WHO ARE IN HIGH AND LOW PLACES IN AMERICA.
    AS I SAID I AM ONLY TELLING PEOPLE THE TRUTH, AND YOU CAN DECIDE WHATEVER YOU WANT
    TO DO...I AM NOT GOING TO STAND BY AND LET MY NEIGHBOR THINK SOMETHING IS GOOD
    FOR THEM WHEN IT IS NOT...SO SEE FOR YOURSELF.....WATCH
    AND YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY THEM.....I AM NOT AFRAID OF THEM....IF I WAS I WOULD
    NOT WARN YOU ABOUT THEM...

November 8, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. findingscarlet

Currently watching Dark Shadows Collection 4. Please have a cameo from Alexandra Moltke (Isles).
    Dying for this release!!!

November 8, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. Angelique

Oh I can't wait to tell my mother about this one....She too loved the show and named me after the lead character. I don't think I had ever been as happy to be born female as the day she told me if I had been born male, she would have named me Barnabus....

November 8, 2010 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. Cheryl from MN

Oh my goodness! I can't believe this! Fantastic! This is fabulous!!! I used to watch this every day after school at the home of the woman that would babysit my sisters and I . She would let us watch this with her while we had a grilled cheese sandwich and a glass of iced tea! Boy that brings back good memories. :)

November 8, 2010 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Cheryl from MN

Oh my goodness! I can't believe this! Fantastic! I used to watch this every day after school at the home of the woman that would babysit my sisters and I . She would let us watch this with her while we had a grilled cheese sandwich and a glass of iced tea! Boy that brings back good memories. :)

November 8, 2010 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. rubbish

which must mean that you are next, sky. your fear is made up from paranoid delusional people that fed you lies about things that don't exist to keep you scared. You don't experience life with such close minded beliefs.

November 7, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SKY

LISTEN I AM ONLY TELLING THE TRUTH. MANY KNOW DEMON ARE NOT IN THE MIND.
    ONE LADY SAW HER DEAD BROTHER IN HER HOME .....ONE HEARD HER MOTHER WHO
    WAS DEAD FOR 3 YEARS CALL HER NAME.... DEMONS ARE WICKED ANGELS LIVING ON
    THIS EARTH....EVERY ABNORMAL THING YOU HEAR ABOUT THEY ARE BEHIND IT.
    WE ARE NORMAL PEOPLE...WE DO NORMAL THINGS.....
    MOST WILL NOT TALK ABOUT THIS, FOR FEAR OF THE DEMONS.
    I HAVE AGREED WITH SO MANY WRONG THINGS IN MY LIFE AND
    TODAY I AM SAYING "NO MORE LIES"
    DEMONS NEED PEOPLE TO CONTROL AND DO THE THINGS THEY NEED ACCOMPLISHED.
    HAVE YOU EVER MET A PERSON WHO WAS SO HATEFUL AND EVIL?
    NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU WERE TO THEM THEY CONTINUED TO DO EVIL
    THINGS,,,THEY ARE UNDER DEMON CONTROL.. MANY WANT ME TO
    SHUT-UP, TELL YOU WHAT, THE DEMONS ARE SO OUT OF CONTROL,,
    THEY WILL CONTACT YOU..IF YOU PERSIST IN SEEING THESE KINDS OF
    MOVIES...THEY CONTACT ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE INTEREST IN THESE
    THINGS...

November 7, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. @SKY

oops meant *you're*

November 7, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. @SKY

your dumb.

November 7, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. write2ap

My mom was pregnant with me during the series and named me Angelique. I have seen every episode of the original series and the remake they did in the '80. I am so happy Johnny Depp is starring in the series. He will make the show truly immortal.

November 7, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  17. DinFla

Oh, can't wait to see the rest of the cast! Willie, Quentin and all the rest! That song still makes me shiver!

November 7, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Wildheart

Johnny, bite me!!!!

November 7, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. janet

I cant wait to see the movie. I still watch the tv series from netflix.

November 7, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. CritiqueBoutique

Burton is terrible at making movies. I don't think I've seen a good one yet.

November 7, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  21. JM

I can still hear the music, and see the waves crashing....I loved that show!!

November 7, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  22. Kappah

I'm getting tired of the Johnny Depp/Tim Burton movie-making machine.

November 7, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  23. tom

charlize theron as angeligue; emma thompson as dr julia; natalie portman as josette – and i'm there

November 7, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  24. SKY

MOVIES LIKE THESE WILL CAUSE YOU TO COME IN CONTACT WITH DEMONS
    SO I SAID IT. AND IT IS TRUE.....IT IS NOT HARMLESS FUN
    OR ENTERTAMENT.. THEIR PURPOSE IS TO TAKE THE
    PEACE FROM YOUR HOME AND FROM YOU.......

November 7, 2010 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
    • freedmind

Oh boy... demons will come out... I think the demons are only in your head...

November 7, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • erin

How completely ridiculous!!! Maybe you should seek therapy if movies cause you to come in contact with demons! I have been watching movies like this and worse since I was a very little girl, and I have never seen any demons of any kind in my entire life! Sounds like you may need some serious help!

November 8, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  25. Joel Lao

My name is Joel and my best friend Jerimie is an exceptional talent. She is blind since childhood but has an angelic voice, can play the piano very well and is a good composer too. I had her auditioned for 2010 the Pilipinas Got Talent( America's Got Talent franchisee in the Philippines) in Tagum City, Philippines just recently and the applause from the audience was overwhelming. Please contact me at +639177181234 if anybody wants to help. We almost did not make it to the audition because there were more than a thousand contestants on queue and registration forms were depleted but the staff of PGT took pity on her because of her condition and they were glad they did because of her amazing talent!!!

Jerimie is very poor and can hardly make both ends meet and i'm trying my best to help her in any way i could. I have posted raw videos of her singing and playing the piano with a "gifted blind singer" tag on youtube or you may click this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tAtxWpIbm8.

I'm sure one of the legacies anyone wants to leave behind is to develop and help gifted but poor talents like this but hoping she would ever have the chance to know this is almost nil but i'm hoping against all odds for that one chance in a lifetime moment.

November 7, 2010 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  26. BrettinMN

Will he actually play the character? Or will he try to play some wacky version modelled on someone like Charles Nelson Riley? I'm growing skeptical of his ability to do anything else lately.

November 6, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Gail Snail

I loved Dark Shadows. It came on when I got home from school. Timing was everything in the days before VCR's & DVD's. I hope he's going to wear that same coat and carry that cool cane that Barnabas had.

Will the movie be in Black & White like the show was?

Mark Steven, you are correct. Portia DeRossi DeGeneres would make a great Angelice.

November 6, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barnabas Collins

She's got too big a nose, she is not pretty enough to be Angelique!! Look at Lara Parker ....that's Angelique!! Lysette Anthony was also a great Angelique from the 1991 DS revival.

November 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mark Steven

Loved Dark Shadows as a kid, way before vampires were "popular". Played the music on Halloween for the "trick-or-treaters" coming to my front door. Johnny Depp would be excellent as Barnabas and suggestion that Portia DeRossi DeGeneres be cast as Angelique is a great idea.

November 6, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  29. Mamadread

I can't wait to see it. I'm not into all this vampire stuff going on currently but the original vampire show was the best ever. I can't find it on soap opera TV channel or fearnet channel. Watch, that will be the 2011 top name for baby boys.....BARNABUS!!!!!

November 6, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Valley Mom

Well, if anyone knows about "Soaps", this girl does!

November 6, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Dread

Barnabus...sounds like a cool name for a dog. You could call him Barny for short. Barny! C'mere Barny!! There's my Barnabus....dame un beso Barnabus....

November 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. darlene d

What a wonderful choice to play Barnabus!! I loved that soap as well and I think Johnny Depp will do it justice. I believe Jonathan Frid will be proud!! I can't wait to see it!!

November 6, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  31. beerguzzlers

Jonathan Frid is NOT dead. and Barnabas is the ONLY vampire without him there would be no buffy no angel no twilight

November 5, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  32. bb

I loved Dark Shadows and thought Quinten was the best and Barnabas..... I think Portia De Rossie Degneres would make an awesome love interest for Barnabas......................

November 5, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Andagain

I was a fan of that show. Too bad they can't bring back the late Jonathan Frid for a cameo. Wait..maybe they can...he's one of the undead!

November 5, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Johnathan Frid is still very much alive. I read that he will make a cameo appearance in the new flick! Can't wait to see this – should be great!

November 6, 2010 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Darcy

Before you say late, check your facts. He is very much alive and well doing his websites. Also, if you read very much about this new version, you'd see where JF is mentioned alot and alive.

March 28, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  34. mejazzbo

"Dark Shadows" was good because it was unique to the soaps. It might not do very well in the current market already over-saturated with vampire flicks, even if it stars JD.

November 5, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  35. nacho mama

I didn't think could get any hotter but I was wrong. Dang, now he'll be in my dreams again.

November 5, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  36. LoJenk

Much better than Twilight!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWCGocD56Q&w=640&h=390]

November 5, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  37. MattK

One word... AWESOME!! Johnny Depp and Tim Burton can never go wrong with a movie together...

November 5, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  38. CInparo

Old news.

November 5, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  39. A Fan of DS

What a wonderful choice to play Barnabas Collins :) I loved that soap and can't wait to see who plays the love of his life in the remake!

November 5, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Also a fan of DS

Dark Shadows was my FAVORITE soap. I ran home from school to make sure I didn't miss a minute of it. Depp is PERFECT! for Barnabas and with Tim Burton directing thisis going to be off the chain! I can't wait till it comes out!

November 6, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Also a fan of DS

I love Tm Burton's work but I hope they don't turn Dark Shadows into a gory vampire thriller, that would be VERY disappointing. Give it a dark edge? YES! but don't forget the story!

November 6, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |