Vince Vaughn: I'm glad the gay joke is staying
November 4th, 2010

Vince Vaughn: I'm glad the gay joke is staying

While GLAAD may not support Ron Howard's decision to keep the "electric cars are gay" joke in the upcoming comedy "The Dilemma," the film's star, Vince Vaughn, definitely has his back.

In a new radio interview, the 40-year-old actor, whose character utters the offending line on camera, says he supports his director's choice to not snip the scene.

"I'm glad to hear it's staying the movie," Vaughn told Q100's Bert Radio Show on Wednesday, according to the Hollywood Reporter. "It wasn't a derogatory term... We clarified within the joke [that it was] not 'homosexual-gay' but, you know, your parents are chaperoning a dance."

And as Howard told the L.A. Times recently, "It is a slight moment in 'The Dilemma' meant to demonstrate an aspect of our lead character's personality, and we never expected it to represent our intentions or the point of view of the movie or those of us who made it."

Vaughn added, "We're not trying to hurt anyone's feelings...If there's tensions there, ultimately, it brings us together, it makes us more comfortable."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. pops

I was bullied for not being a bully. Bully for me....

December 15, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. free gay dating

I think jokes are very funny about gays.

November 23, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. amanda

I just have to say something this country was founded so we can have freedom of religion and just freedom period I don't think we should walk on eggshells for no one everyone has there opinion n yes I raised that being gay is not right in the eyes of GOD but that's their choice as long as they don't push their lifestyle on me that's fine but GLAAD just stop its getting ridiculous

November 5, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. here we go...

Fact. The time you took out of your life to be offended and think of a witty come back for the situation or post you disagree with will never come back. This is time you could be spending with your family or friends or doing something good for the country. These moments add up faster than you think and just make you feel that everyone else in the country us stupid. Please get off the computer and go do something with your family. Thank you. If you agree feel free to post in another forum where people are wasting their lives.

November 5, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. scott

I do like nancy and jimmys response we defend gays and athiests but can't say GOD

November 5, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. Linha

GLADD = you are really dumb...for reals lol what happened to the freedom of speach???To all gays out there...there's still straight people in the World ..it seems like the world turned gay.... And that's sooooo gay lol

November 5, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. amanda

Vince rocks and so does Ron Howard damn GLAAD stop getting your panties in a bunch there always crying about something stop pushing your beliefs on other people SORRY the rest of the world can take a joke:P

November 5, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. sheena

It is just a joke. and i love watchin vince,he is funny.

November 5, 2010 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  9. dude

Oh no! He said gay twice!!! He is a oil "hater"! Bad boy!

November 5, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. nikolatesla1

Gay people are cool with me. I have an electric car that will smoke the vast majority of macho, gas sucking rides. Oil is "gay."

November 5, 2010 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. dude

Ya thanks cnn for filter my comments

November 5, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. xantha

Thank you, Bo, for so eloquently saying what so many of us feel. Vaughn's proclivity for bully characters is known. Sadly, people like his characters really exist! Howard could almost be understood – were it a CHARACTER flaw, the word could have been contextualized and framed within the movie to 'stigmatize' said character. But to hear that it is, instead, a PERSONALITY flaw of Vaughn's is disgusting.

Thank you, CNN, for a blog which allows for comments – perhaps, at the very least, this interview can be used as a means to encourage dialogue about this very important issue.

November 5, 2010 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. Funny Bone

Um electric cars are "Gay" though. But in all fairness to Vince. Straight folk have been calling things "Gay" for years. There is no malice involved. However recently at a friends house (who is gay) I uttered the term and felt completely stupid saying it.

November 5, 2010 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  14. dude

Yep

November 5, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. It's Me

When the gays stop whining about every little thing they MIGHT get laws passed in the favor. Until then, enjoy the movie and laugh at gay jokes.

November 5, 2010 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  16. Nathan

People spend too much time getting worked up about stuff. i have a disability and used to be offended by the word cripple til i realized the people using the word dont care if im offended. if you stop being offended by a word it loses its derogatory meaning.

November 5, 2010 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  17. azile

That is the gayest thing I've ever heard.

November 5, 2010 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  18. Nifkin

GAY.

November 5, 2010 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  19. Nancy

As a lesbian, as a woman, as a mom I understand people's desire to soften our conversation. However, where do we draw the line? The chubby kid, the tall kid, the poor person, the eccentric person, at race, gender, ethnicity, faith? All of us are subject to superficial prejuidice. I think there's lots to talk about with regard to our treatment of one another...and this type of debate is good to open and broaden the conversation. However, we also need to realize we will all be the target sooner or later of someone's bias, someone's unintentional bias, or ignorance. We have to teach or children HOW to TREAT others. Relax about this line in a movie. I don't mean to mitigate the concern over bullying...my son endured PLENTY horrific bullying and is not gay....how about we get to the heart of the real problem and build a more compassioante, assured, productive society overall. Concentrate on who we want our children and ourselves to become instead of "what". The rest will follow....

November 5, 2010 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  20. Infmous

You guys are being gay about this.

November 5, 2010 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  21. jimmy

all this is *&-+&!: dump. we can't pray in our schools can't pray or mention god in our courts but we are worried about hurting gay peoples feeling give me a break

November 5, 2010 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  22. pun

Gays joke about and put down straight people just as much or more than Vince Vaughn.

November 5, 2010 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  23. anna

=====sugarmommadate.======C^^^O^^^^^^M
    =====dating club======F O R=====
    ===Sugar mommas and young men==
    ===Mature women and men===
    ======= Free to join ==========
    ====== Check It Out Quickly=====

November 5, 2010 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  24. Nick

I have heard far worse than this in movies and said by comedians doing standup. Are we going to start censoring comedians and movies now? I mean if so there are plenty of things that offend me. Do I need to get out my pen and paper to make my list? Its crazy. I have even heard the N word in movies before. My goodness, if it offends you, don't watch it. Its that simple.

November 5, 2010 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  25. sal

I will watch it. The nerve of gladd.....they think their opinion really matters??? What about in the movie gran torino when every ethnic word was used for italians, asians, african americans and hispanics??? Where was gladd then??? Exactly!!! None of the ethnic groups made a stink about the movie because everyone knew it was just a movie...not reality. Also, I am suprised gladd does not make a stink at hanna barbera. The flintstones song has in it "...we'll have a gay old time."

November 5, 2010 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  26. funnygay

DV is an idiot-get over it and move on witth your life with something more important than a stupid movie.

November 5, 2010 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  27. E. Beck

Its not that big of a deal...its like people can't even talk without someone's feelings get hurt, get over it. I think its funny.

November 5, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  28. austin

and in other news, vince vaughn is still the unfunniest moron to ever act in comedies.

November 5, 2010 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  29. travis fisher

This whole discussion is gay and so is ambercrombie Clothing We all know its gay just like an electric car is gay. corvettes driven by men are straight driven by women are gay. mazdas are gay always. saturns were gay and now are gone.

November 5, 2010 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  30. justy

Who cares . Let him say somethings gay. Stop being so up tight . Why is everyone so uptight?! Gawwwd

November 5, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  31. lucilleblast

SHUT THE f... UP ALREADY!!!!!!

November 5, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  32. canderson

The movie sounds like another lame comedy that really needs the gay joke to help publicize it. It's also true that so many of us have heard these "gay" jokes, they are only funny to lame teenage minds, that the small percentage that see this film won't laugh when it's heard because now everyone knows electric cars are "gay". It's also true that the joke was never funny because electric cars are the wave of the future and are progressive, so not sure why gay people are upset when they are compared to advanced technology.

November 5, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  33. scott

Seriously I was endlessly bullied as a child because I had a huge nose and buck teeth. It was not fun and I dreaded going to school each day. But I didn't commit suicide because of it. Stop blaming your lives on someone else. Stand up and take responsibility. I am tired of whiners and illegal aliens taking over my country. Earn your f-ing keep.

November 5, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  34. lisa kellar

Seriously im the most libral person youd ever want to meet...but Get a Grip a line in a movie is just that a line in a movie...if any group who considers themselves a minority would Make a Stand where necessary that would be great...but whining complaining and nitpicking causes Exactly what u try to avoid....Freedom of Speech people! Lisa

November 5, 2010 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  35. Movie-goer

I was offended – but not about the political correctness of the line, but rather the lameness of the line. After watching the trailer, I could hardly believe this was a Ron Howard movie. I found nothing about it interesting, clever, or funny.

November 5, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  36. scott

I was bullied by gay boys as a child and they sent me notes made from newspaper clippings. Its gays who are agressive and in your face with it. Then they cry hard times(no pun intended) when you defend yourself to them. What a crock. Ron and Vince for congress!! Get babblin barney out of their already.

November 5, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  37. andrew

im offended that gay doesnt mean happy anymore, who changed the definition anyways, it was the happy haters, thats who

November 5, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  38. Jo

Seriously, lighten up already!! People are so retarted.

November 5, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  39. Trevor Daniels

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYuwO5iGVxY&w=640&h=390]

November 5, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  40. Roger Thomas

This is toooooooo easy http://Freelaptops4you.com

November 5, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  41. Bubbles

Can we also get the word phat off the streets? Its really affecting my self esteem cuz I am fat!! *** EXAMPLE OF WHAT THEY ARE SAYING BOUT THE 'GAY' WORD EVEN THO IT HAS ANOTHER MEANING!!

November 5, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  42. Nyny

kids getting beat up and KILLING themselves cuz society says its okay to make them feel like crap.

SHAME on Ron and Vince. They're WEAK and STUPID for not finding a better joke. Let's see how they feel about it when THEIR kids commit suicide over the ridicule of jokes like these.

November 4, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Name*Tony

Ron Howard,kick that closet door down and come running out in drag.

November 4, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  44. jay

Interesting how everyone is quick to say how insensitive it is that the word "gay" was used, but no one came to the defense of the Arabs or Muslims when they were ALL being discriminated against for the hateful actions of a handful of idiots.

November 4, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  45. kscott

If it truly is a contextual use of 'gay' in the movie, I challenge the director to allow all those who identify as gay to go to the movie for free to determine for themselves whether it is derogatory or harmless. We are, afterall, the only ones who can determine this, not Vince Vaughn. So, who agrees: FREE PASSES TO DILEMNA FOR ALL US GAY FOLK!!

November 4, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  46. anana

Of course VV is supporting Opie, his movies suck so he needs to be supportive of any director willing to hire him. All of his movies have the same character, the only thing that changes is his weight and number of chins.

November 4, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  47. big b

Wow, the sequined dresses are flying now!! i really miss the days when the gays wern't all up in your face about it. i cant walk down the street without someone jumping out to yell they are "coming out!". well good for u....stay off my lawn!!!

November 4, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  48. anybody can get elected

A joke is a joke?
    What if a Muslim joke about 9/11?

November 4, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Heather

What I find ironic is all these protests about "hate" when by protesting, you've let hate win. Remember what your mommy told you in elementary school? "If someone calls you a name, don't let it get to you." the only way to stop hate is to not let it affect you. Bullies are bullies, that's it. They will call you names, then when they see it hurt your feelings, they'll push you around a little. But guess what, you take away the one power they have over you – the ability to tear down your self confidence – you've just beaten hate. So next time someone calls you "gay," stand up and say "yes I am, and I'm proud of it!" And you'll continue to "stop the hate".

November 4, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  50. mangravy

I thought Vince was the gay joke.

November 4, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  51. beauty brains

I cannot even believe this is a topic of discussion. It's a JOKE. In a MOVIE. This isn't the real world people. Dissecting every statement, every joke, every opinion – when in the hell did all this start happening and why? Five years ago nobody would have even remembered this never mind brought it up to vote on it's political correctness. Find some hobbies people.

November 4, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Howard

Why is it that gay women are so much more "gay sensitive" than gay guys? All you have to do is read these responses to see that I'm right and you're gay.

November 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Victoria

I'm glad the line was in the trailer. It makes me certain that I will not be seeing the movie. I am always interested to here how people feel about issues such as this. As an American who is gay, I find it repulsive that the term is used in such a derogatory manner. I hope I live to see the day when others start to understand how the use of the term in such a manner is hurtful to people like me.

November 4, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Howard

The Bert Show is gay!

November 4, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  55. jana

Mochi! U R SOOO right! My bad! Lmfao! Thanks 4 settin me strait!! Bad day I guess!! My grass is gay! My cat just said! Didn't like the feel! Crapola!! Sheesh! Comedy ppl! Comedy! Nitey POO!! Haha! :-)

November 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  56. jcourt

Here's the thing – WHAT'S THE ACTUAL JOKE?? There is no joke. Simply, they are using "gay" as a negative descriptive.
    So I guess people would be equally OK if he said it was "so n**ger" or "so jew" etc. To negatively describe something.

There's no joke.

November 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  57. tonyb

what's more offensive is that vince vaughn has been playing the same character for the past 15 years.

November 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Marco555

Ok, so are you telling me that on movie night, I can take my family and fork out 60 in tickets, get hit at the concession stand for another 40 and this is going to be a good movie? That's really all i care about. We're tired of getting ripped off. Movies were so much better in my day. I'm only 46.

November 4, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Nat

This thread is gay.

November 4, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Mochi

Im a gay girl and it is already hard to come out...things like this might not seem like a big deal to some but to me it is.. I wish it would stop... We dont say o thats so black, oh thats so jew, oh thats so hick o thats so fat, oh thats so baptist...

November 4, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  61. donna

I thought gays would like being the butt of the joke.

November 4, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  62. jvg

u know whats really gay? all of u people arguing about a stupid movie. get a life already. read the damn article and move on........

November 4, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  63. JC

I am an Italian and I Could Be offended by the Jersey Shore show. What would Al Pacino be like in the GodFather movies if HE "toned it down" probably not the great actor he is today! What happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me" Get real people...

November 4, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • jcourt

PLEASE don't even suggest It's the same thing. Currently, Italian Americans are treated as equal citizens. Gay people are not. Are people beating and killing Italians like they do gay people? Are people trying to make, keep and establish laws denying Italians the equal right to marry? NO and NO.
      So STFU with such an idiotic comparison.

November 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Seth

What a patronizing tool. I won't be wasting my money seeing their films, Vaughn's or Howard's..

November 4, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Name*Gitmonationnorth

Vince is nothing more than a typecast actor....please spare us the hype. And yes I make more money than he does.

November 4, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  66. steeve-o

Electric cars are bald.
    Take that, Opie.

November 4, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Laurie

I agree that if the character is meant to be offensive, he should say it, but if he's the star of the movie I wonder if he's really meant to be unlikeable by the audience. It's just like the use of the "r" word- which is hard to explain to my daughter with a disability why people think that it's acceptable. "It's just a joke" to someone whose been made to hurt really doesn't cut it. I think the guy who said in his comment, "that's real white of you" hit the nail on the head. If you want a character to make fun, make fun of the way another charcater looks or something a character says. Don't heap on to those who are already having a hard enough time.

November 4, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  68. jana

For the Rocord! I DO have gay & lesbian frnds! They CANNOT understand this crap! They are in NO WAY offended! They are V.V. Fans as well! Joke is a joke! Dammit ppl! Sheesh!

November 4, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  69. jana

Hhhmmmm! Maybe US GIRLS? (Grown women Rather!) Should hold Random sidewalk/picket(peace talks) as you in the GLAAD comm. Referr 2 them! Tape r mouths shut on domestic violence? Hu? Mybe then sombody will help US "GIRLS" out? When you don't even have a legal "Divorce law!" Wow! Just a thaught!! STEVE!

November 4, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  70. dieselmama

I was picked on all through high school for being skinny am I going to cry over it If I saw something similar in a movie? NO! Get over it people stop trying to use words as a crutch in life!

November 4, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Steve

I just want to ask Bo and Andrew who cried in the 1st few comments something...."Which one of u 2boys is the man an which is the female in your relationship?" saying that Ron Howard's at fault for gay ppl being bullied is like sayin video games are to blame for the Columbine Tragedy. SHUT UP GIRLS

November 4, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  72. jana

Hey! I'm a "so called tea-bagger!" I fukin LOVE V.V.!! Don't! Put ur freakness, on all us!

November 4, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Ohio

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyRKAG2JXXA&w=640&h=390]

November 4, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Jr Johnson

Electric Cars are Gay!!

November 4, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  75. rob

Wow, gay, lesbian, fruitcake, whatever! If I got offended anytime someone said fat I would kill myself. Its life, freedom of speech and unless someone is personally verbally attacking u lighten up!

November 4, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  76. feather

I can't believe how crazy this whole thing is!! Its a joke people, that all it is! Have you never seen a comedy in your life.. Comics make fun of people for laughs, it called having a sense of humor. If you don't like it don't go see the movie, plan and simple!

November 4, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  77. David

I'm a gay man and for the love of. All that's holy, can we PLEASE stop being so thin skinned about names? My god, first off it's a comedy movie, or as close as vince can get to one. Second, it's a VINCE VAUGHN movie! No one will see it. Just remember, girls, if you can't take a joke don't take the penis!

November 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  78. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3yTXFkyiY&w=640&h=390]

November 4, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  79. wormy

i think this is really stupid if people r commiting suicide becuase they get bullied i think there parents are to blame for not teaching there kids to stand up for theirselves and have a sense of humor can quit crying about everything someone says

November 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Get Real

If you can take a dick, you can take a joke. Get over it already.

November 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  81. birbey

gah. a black girl called me white the other day and I took offense becos she used it offensively. she said 'uh! white people!' I'm not white. I'm more beige or cream colored. but look. I called her a black girl. she wasn't black. she was a pecan brown or maybe a little darker. let's stop being so literal folks. this is just getting ridiculous! lighten up. sheesh

November 4, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  82. the_dude

I am not going to go see this movie because I don't see gay movies. I didn't see that bareback mountain either.

November 4, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Disbelief

It never ceases to amaze me how people will find ways to make things offensive to them. What's ironic is that these people tend to be left or extreme left who likes to flash the first amendment to promote their "voice" but do their damnedest to shut down anyone that disagrees with them.

In any case if the movie offends you then don't watch. Don't ruin for everyone else. The world doesn't revolve arouind you and frankly the majority of us don't care.

How's that for democracy?

November 4, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  84. tony

GET OVER IT! Seriously grow some thick skin and get over it. Your all just a bunch of whining babies. What abouth seth rogan or adam sandler with jew jokes? Or chris rock and dave chappelle with "N-word" jokes? Oh but if Vince Vaughn was gay you probably wouldn't make such a big deal. Seriously your all rediculous. Go get jobs or something. Or join the damn army. Instead of monitoring what people say and conjure up some stupid reason on why it offends you.

November 4, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • If Only

Thanks for the advice, but in case you haven't noticed, we can't join the Army either...

November 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Clearly Bored

This whole conversation is gay.

November 4, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  86. kgirl

shut up. really just relax. people are dying. starving. jeepers. it is called a movie with real actors. find another avenue to do something better rather than complaining. give it a rest.

November 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  87. joe momma

Gay, gay, gay, . Screw all u political tea,baggers Vaughn is,hilarious, Gay

November 4, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • OMG

@ Joe momma: Okay.....how the h*ll did the tea baggers get pulled into this crazy debate? Your statement makes no sense!

To all others: You all have lost your minds....!! This country has millions unemployeed, we have debt that our great grandchildren will still be paying for when we are dead and gone, we're in 2 wars, we have people trying to blow us up, and you all are worried, offended, have your panties in a wad about an electric car being called gay in some silly movie. Does anyone on this site see how silly this is????
      Get some perspective people!!

November 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  88. annoyed

Wow this is all so gay, in the shirtless gay guy dancing shirtless with butterfly wings kinda way. If this offends you I have succeeded. Unlike vince vaughn who clearly didn't mean it that way.

November 4, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Gayguy in Florida

To all the LGBT community,

If we really take innocuous things like this too seriously, how are we ever going to have real issues be taken seriously at all? Lighten up! Just saying...

November 4, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Dale Wetterstrom

Who wants to see a Vince Vaughn movie anyways? I mean really. There are actors and there are wanna be's!!

November 4, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Thomas

"We're not trying to hurt anyone's feelings...If there's tensions there, ultimately, it brings us together, it makes us more comfortable." ...

Yet ANOTHER great moment in Hollywood intellectualism.

The pity is that while someone with little talent is able to make big bucks from it by using the lowest level of humor there are others who could actually entertain people without having to hurt any groups in the process. Mr. Vaughan do us all a favor save the planet by reducing the waste of your films which are seen by relatively very few.

November 4, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  92. seriously?

...This is what y'all want to spend ur time on? Being offended?

Do i need to become a lawyer to learn ho to talk to not offend anyone? (Here's a hint: someone will be offended no matter what you say...)

November 4, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  93. HJ

This story has the ghey.

November 4, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  94. DoneWithVince

Never cared for this guy to begin with, and will add him to my list of actors whose films I won't watch (along with Tom Cruise's).

November 4, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Karla

In the context that it's meant to reveal a less than admirable trait for this particular character, I think the use of the word would be acceptable. But if the film doesn't clearly connect the comment to the character's immaturity or small-mindedness, then it shouldn't be used. As a proud lesbian with the support of my family, co-workers and friends, I'm still a bit stung when the word "gay" is used to indicate that something isn't up to society's standards. We used to "jew" someone down to get a better monetary deal. People used to say "I'm free, white and 21" in place of "You're not the boss of me." An "Indian-giver" was someone who welched on a deal, referring to the Native Americans wanting their land back after the white man stole it.
    We wouldn't DREAM of saying those things in a movie today, in the context described here. It's not just a movie; it's a mirror of society, and much of society mirrors what it sees in films. That's why fewer actors smoke in films today - seeing people they admire behaving a certain way encourages others to mimic the behaviors.
    So it has nothing to do with over political correctness or mind police. How about we all start saying, "Don't be so Vaughn" when we mean undesirable? Or "That's way Ron Howard"? Or, "You are so Bill Jacobsen"?
    Walk a mile in another's mocassins, folks.

November 4, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  96. JM

November 4, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  97. bill jacobsen

It's only a movie...it's only a movie...it's only a movie..........lighten up people....give the thought police the rest of their lives off

November 4, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Joey

This news story is super gay..

November 4, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  99. KW

Well the comments coming for the straight biggots doesn't surprise me. I too am Lesiban and though I did/don't read anything negative into the wording used in the movie, te comments about it troubles me.

The fact that any one group feels it can talk down to another in 2010 takes us back to the 40s-late 60s. People thought women and blacks were not worth the effort.

Holding a group of "Human" beings to a different standard as the rest of you but still expecting us to pay taxes as an equal citizen
    should stop. Let's see how long being treated as something less than will last when we stop paying taxes and supporting business that don't support us.

We the People .. It doesn't say We the
    Straight People

November 4, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keller

Hate speech is not bullying. Getting your ass kicked by black kids at the YMCA when you are 15 is bullying. Having your lunch money taken by senoirs when you are a freshman is bullying.

This will mostly disappear in another generation or two. The transgendered (and people who choose to be gay) need to educate the masses they are often oversensitive and its probably best not to talk to them casually because unfortunately they need attention and will look to capitalize on any opportunity to get more attention.

Bottom line....I can call something gay, but my kids can't.

November 5, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Don't be GAY

Go eat some carpet you dumb dike.

November 5, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Jasmine

We can make jocks about religion, race, abortion and various other topics but we still can't make gay jokes. Pretty sure Family Guy, Southpark, and other comdey shows have been making gay jokes for awhile, people still watch them.

November 4, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Nikki

I don't care about political correctness in movies or music. But I have a co-worker who thinks it's dumb that people are making this a big deal. He's black, so I played devil's advocate and asked if he'd feel differently if the issue was about Vaughn saying 'Electric cars are for ni*gers'. He definitely had to think on that one.

November 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Mike

Gays are always butthurt about something. Pun intended.

November 4, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  103. jorge

Glaad get over it...suck it up..seriously...you are so gay...quit crying for everything

November 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Johninavl

First let me say that im gay.

Now that said, I don't take offense at all!! I call things gay all the time.

Here's a tip for all the crybabies out there. If you don't like it, don't go to the flippin movie!!

If you didnt like the word tranny used in glee, don't effen

November 4, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Mike

If, as Ron Howard explains, the line is supposed to reflect the character's personality, that's okay – as long as the character is patently portrayed as a jerk and a quasi bigot who is unaware. Furthermore, the only way I can see the how the Vaughan character could say this line and still be considered PC is if the character later has a postiive transformation into being a good guy, particularly a guy who realizes that the "g" word is hurtful and not constructive. Otherwise, I don't see Howard's point. (This isn't like Stephen Colbert using such a line as a part of a satirical trap, either.) I'm not gay, but I think it's fairly obvious that the word has been used in a hurtful way in the past (not unlike the "n" word or the "K" word for Jews like myself) and has the potential to be hurtful again, this time broadcasted to a greater audience. In addition, it seems stupid of the filmmakers to maintain that this line is needed when there are so many other creative avenues to use to express the character's point of view and conceit. If the character isn't strongly portrayed and viewed as a jerk / quasi bigot who then has a transformation / recognition, I would be very disappointed in the filmmakers. It would show their lack of sensitivity to a pretty obvious issue.

November 4, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Let me amend one thing, I should have written the following: Furthermore, since I assume that this is a studio comedy, the only way I can see the how the Vaughan character / protagonist could say this line and still be considered a good character (someone we ultimately like and support as an audience which I believe is the filmmaker's intention) is if he later has a postiive transformation into being a good guy, particularly a guy who realizes that the "g" word is hurtful and not constructive.

November 4, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • MAC

Gee, I thought if you wanted to be offensive you used the word f_g and you used gay when you were being nice.

November 4, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

Wait. Gay is a hateful word? So, what is the PC term for men who like other men or women who like other women? It seems that everytime a word because acceptable and widely used, the gay community starts to get offended and wants to be called something else. I have plenty of gay and lesbian friends. This isn't even close to being an issue with them.

November 4, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Milo

OMG! People are so damn sensitive!! That's so gay!

November 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Rebecca

Gays are so whiny and such cry babies.

November 4, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johninavl

All hetro are a holes sounded pretty stupid huh?

I'm gay and think that this entire thing is stupid and totally gay.

Just like the word tranny from glee. I didn't even give it a second thought when I saw the episode.

November 4, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Donnelly

I was hoping that the day that everyone (at least in this country, even with all its differences) could just learn to forget who they are, what their difference from other people are, and come together and take a joke had already come. But alas, that has yet to happen. Am I sensitive to the plight of people fighting for their rights? Absolutely. But when you make too big of a deal over a joke in a film (particularly such a bad joke) or on TV or wherever, you start to lose what you were fighting for in the first place. Humor is the great common demominator, and it's something everyone should share. If you can't learn to laugh at yourself, you don't have the right to laugh at anyone else. And who wants to go through life like that?

The only thing that I find truly offensive about this joke is how much it sucks.

November 4, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Yoshi

That Zach Galifalupoguswhateverthefuk is a gay chubbs.

November 4, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  110. GORILLAFINGERS

This is just as gay, if not gayer, as the article on "for colored girls' only?"

November 4, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Macintosh

Man, people need to lighten up.

November 4, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Mrbrightsdie247

This movie sounds really "straight". And I mean that in a "straight to DVD" sort of way. And to all of you who think that saying something is "gay" is an ok thing to do, then I hope every one of your kids gets bullied, and beaten up on a daily basis for simply being who they are. Then maybe you would understand why hate speech is such a problem.

November 4, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bleagan

This is the problem right here. You act as if ONLY LGBT community members get bullied and commit suicide. Grow up.

November 4, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hello

I got bullied because my name is Tyson...did I mention I'm not gay.

November 4, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • My Name is Mud

Did you just wish that my kids get bullied and beaten up every day simply because I may call something gay? What a way to fight a cause and get your point across. To me, electric cars aren't gay... and the joke isn't even funny, but "you people" (and take that as politically incorrect as you can) are really over reacting on this one.

November 5, 2010 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
    • darkhikage

i remember back in the day when it was my right as an american to say whatever i wanted. if it offended someone then that was thier right to be offended. as for wishing violence on children well that doesnt make you any better than who you'r griping about now does it?

November 5, 2010 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
    • johsonville

Tyson as in the chicken? Just making a joke Tyson. Maybe they should add the phrase "not that there is anything wrong with that". The bigger deal made out of this issue, the less people will listen to you on the real issues like bullying and hate crimes. Believe me, I know about being bullied. I was made fun of and bullied every single hour of the day in high school including during class time for an embarrassing physical deformity and for being fat (yes I said fat, not overweight). In response to the person who said this discussion is just kids. I am over 40, plus most kids are not out reading the news on CNN.

November 5, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  113. shawn

Was that another joke? Did he say " I am glad..." or "I am GLAAD...."?

November 4, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Kathy

You know what's funny, for all of you who are posting comments about "gay ole time," "suck it up," you're just proving why this type of joke in a movie must stop. It's the reason you're all saying hateful things. You're trying to incite anger. I understand you're most likely teenagers, but it really isn't funny. I agree with some of those on here, if you see hate, stop it.

November 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • chad

The only way using a word to express hate toward a person or persons is to direct the negative comment toward them" I hate gay people" that is a hateful statement words in have many meanings and for people to take offence every time someone uses the "g" word is simply going to make people less willing to accept them.

November 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • smasheduprr

I see hate were it exists. I don't look for hate to rage against were this none.

November 5, 2010 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  115. Clown

Good to hear, a joke is a joke nothing more.

November 4, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  116. meadow muffin

We'll have a gay ole time.....ooops did Freddy Flintstone ofend you

November 4, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  117. 22Tango

Vince, SHUT UP already. I'm sure the joke is lame as the movie sounds.

November 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Michael Anton Lylyk

Well that's good, a joke is a joke.

November 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  119. BB

"Gay" originally meant 'happy' or 'joyful'. People are so ready to take offense at everything that they just seem intolerant themselves. I don't believe in censorship, but I do believe in education. If you see someone bullying in person, then do something about it then. It's way too easy to rant about something and someone you don't even know anything about. If you boycott Vince Vaughn (and no I'm not a fan of his), then aren't you bullying him into believing in your views? In my experience, the LGBT community is way too easily offended. You overcome stereotypes by consistently acting against type, not by whining that everyone should come to your side. I'm sorry about kids being bullied. I have been bullied for being overweight and oddly enough for having red hair. I think the key is that I had other voices telling me I was worth something. I overcame it and I'm stronger for it. Education is so much better than censorship.

November 4, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Andrew

Well put Bo. It's unfortunate, but most people won't understand what "offensive" feels like until it affects them directly. It's very easy to tell the gay community to "suck it up" and just let it go. It's easy to call gay people "cry babies." Most of us always choose the easy way, but that doesn't make it right. I don't agree with the use of this phrase in the film. I don't agree with anyone who says it's a non-issue. I agree, IF YOU SEE HATE, STOP IT!

November 4, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy

Dude, I'm gay and don't see a problem with it. LIGHTEN UP. Or better yet...DON'T SEE THE MOVIE. Duh.

November 4, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Andrew buddy, you just wrote your own gay joke right there.

November 5, 2010 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  121. DV

It's true, the term "gay" has, over the last few years, been used as another word for "lame". I don't mean lame as in crippled (oops, sorry, I mean disabled) sort of way, more in a parents are chaperoning the dance sort of way. Come on, people, they're just words. Our reactions give them meaning and weight. Please stop making everything a point of controversy, otherwise, we'll be a very sanitized, boring society.

November 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeeDee

Well said!

November 4, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tone

Yup

November 4, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • TRIXIEBELLE

WAY TO GO!, I HAVE TONS OF GAY FRIENDS, AND NOONE I KNOW PERSONALLY SEEMED TO TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS. PEOPLE ARE SO SENSITIVE THESE DAYS TO EVERY LITTLE THING. MY GOD, LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE. OOPS, I SAID GOD, I GUESS I'M GONNA GET FUSSED BY THE RELIGIOUS FOLKS. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE, GIVE IT A REST. JUST DON'T GO SEE THE MOVIE. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE DAYS, THAT IF SOMETHING BOTHERED YOU, THEN IT BOTHERED "YOU", IT DIDN'T MEAN IT HAD TO BE MADE INTO A HUGE ORDEAL TO BOTHER EVERYONE ELSE! GROW UP, GET A BACKBONE, AND STOP WHINING....DO SOME PUSH UPS OR SOMETHING! SHEESH!!!!!

November 4, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Calforever

From the tone of your comment, you are clueless and a lost hope. Pity.

November 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • KB

*LIKE*

November 5, 2010 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Disabled. I'm offended. You should say "special" moron. Whoops, I hope I didn't just offend morons. Yours truely, the mind police.

November 5, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Bo

I'm disappointed in Ron Howard. "It is a slight moment in 'The Dilemma' meant to demonstrate an aspect of our lead character's personality, and we never expected it to represent our intentions or the point of view of the movie or those of us who made it." - What is that? Mr. Howard, I challenge you to come up with a smarter and funnier way to demonstrate your lead character's personality. I also want to ask Mr. Howard if he is aware of the many young LGBTQ men who have committed suicide because they were bullied because they were gay. Where do you think bullying behavior comes from. A piece of it comes from seeing and hearing derogatory comments about a select group... in this case the gay community. The bully thinks it's alright to joke about someone for being different. Then perhaps the next time the joke turns to a shove, then perhaps the shove becomes a punch. It all begins with a punchline. Ron Howard is keeping the thought that "gay is a joke" going. In my eyes, he is no better than the school yard bully. As for Vince Vaughn, I will never pay another penny to see one of his movies. I suggest others in the LGBTQ community do the same and boycott his films. I suggest LGBTQ Hollywood producers and directors do the same. IF YOU SEE HATE, STOP IT!

November 4, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh?

How can you demonstrate an obnoxious character's personality without using "offensive" words? Stop blaming society for bullies' behaviors. Blame the damn parents that refuse to educate and discipline their kids.

November 4, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadCityBabe

SHUT UP!!!!!!

November 4, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadCityBabe

Bo – you're reading way too much into simple joke...............that's all it was, plain and simple and nothing else........stop being so gay about it!

November 4, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • leslie

You need to get a life. I am a lesbian and I do not take offense to this in any way. This is how everything becomes an issue in this country. People such as yourself taking something simple as this and completely blowing it out of the context. So if someone uses the word way and they are referring that they are happy, I suppose that would be OK? I have gay male friends who also use the word gay as it was being used in the movie. They don't find it offense either. You just need to lighen up and get it's only a movie andit's only a joke.

November 4, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brin

Isn't this going a little far? This political correctness crap is getting way out of hand.

November 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • gayme

this comment is so gay.

November 4, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lohocla

I'm offended that people are offended. Why is it that minority groups are allowed to get offended at every little thing...it's ok to kill someone in a movie, smoke dope, drink, slap your woman around etc, but heaven forbid if you say the word "gay".

Need to band together and form an "IOTYO" group (Im Offended That You're Offended) and start making some noise. Tired of having to watch what I say because someone may get their panties in a bunch.

Loh

November 4, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lohocla

Loh

November 4, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • ItsDaPoleece

Nobody is going to watch a comedy filled with "please and thank you's" and "my, that electric car is very different in an awkward kind of way." If a character in ANY movie can't represent his personality through dialogue, nobody will ever watch it. It's in a character's nature to be ultimately flawed, and that's what makes him seem more relatable from an audience's perspective.

Demanding political correctness out of the entertainment industry is completely unreasonable. GLAAD is overstepping by trying to control fictional characters and fictional feelings. As one person already mentioned, they need to focus more on teaching parents how to educate their kids to be tolerant of others.

In my opinion, criticizing Ron Howard for this would be as bad as criticizing Mark Twain for Huckleberry Finn calling another character "N-– Jim." Movies are art, just as books, paintings and music are. Feel free to have your opinion, but don't try to tell Beethoven that his 9th Symphony offends you and he should change it.

November 4, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

smarter and funnier way, yes. Writing in Hollywood is horrific. People see movies because they have nothing better to do. full of lame cliches and explosions. Vince Vaughn is how old? that line you would here a 6 year old say _____ is gay.

November 4, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

oh goodness. they said its going to be rated PG 13 or R. who, if theyre not elementary children, is going to find that line funny? hollywood, you can package your frozen burritos, but I'm not buyin.
      i always wonder how an actor can really believe in such less than mediocre roles and still live with themselves, they know its BS. i guess you would have to bury your face in coke or just keep tellin yourself, "its for the money" "its for the money"......integrity is overrated

November 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim

This is the kind of shlt that happens when idiots start listening to the pink nazis!

November 4, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

OMG really "bo"? GET A LIFE. I don't understand why people take such offense to the littlest comments. Really, is a gay kid going to kill himself because of this movie? Doubt it, and if one does/tries to, then he has bigger problems. Take up a cause that actually matters. It's a movie.

November 4, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred L. Fraud

Dude – waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many words!

November 4, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phillipe

Really!! do gay and straight people have nothing better to do.
      No wonder the US is falling apart at the seams. You spend all your time worrying about BS politically correct nonsense, yet no one bothers with any issue of substance.

Everyone needs to calm down, and focus on importnat items. Focus on your life, being a good person, treating people with respect, and forget about one film – which is meant to entertain. It has no real bearing on the important and crucial issues you have.

People are upset about a gay joke, yet no one seems to speak out about the lack of health care, jobs and a stalled economy....get your priorities straight, and get your S#%@ together.

November 5, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Gays are gross

How can anyone take the GAYS serious when they get all up tight over little things like this. Being gay is gross and gay people cant have kids so why do we take them serious????

November 5, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  123. kiki

Why do we still keep talking about this movie.

November 4, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Roy

Well this is mighty white of Vince. And I don't mean that in a racial way. More in a your parents are chaperoning the dance way.

November 4, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • haarkonen

and since he has his big boy pants on, odds are he wouldn't whine about your comment.

November 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  125. GOOD!

GLAAD blows! WAAAAHHH they said GAY..... WAHHHH they said TRANNY....

November 4, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Mormon

I'm not gay, but my boyfriend is...

November 4, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  127. cheefsfury

YEAH I BET NO ONE WILL STILL WATCH IT

November 4, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  128. MadCityBabe

no stereotypes here................we all suck it from time to time....................it's fun and breaks up the hum drum :)

November 4, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Chris

Maybe "big" Al and Vince should concentrate on losing the double chin...

November 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Johninavl

Just like I really don't care what a bunch of breeders think.

November 4, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Johninavl

I hope that you dont make your living as a comedian. Sad

November 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |