'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Is it time to forgive LeAnn?
November 4th, 2010

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Is it time to forgive LeAnn?

Brooke Anderson here, with big controversy today over LeAnn Rimes’s revelation about her affair with actor Eddie Cibrian. She says they cheated for love!

In her brand new interview on ABC’s “In the Spotlight with Robin Roberts,” LeAnn says her infidelity just sort of happened. “It happens every day to so many people…You had two couples whose marriages didn’t work who really stumbled upon each other and fell in love," she said.

Yes, people do it every day but that does not make it okay. Why do people simply not take their marriage vows to heart?

LeAnn and Eddie made a conscious choice that caused people a lot of pain. Yes, it is healthy to forgive, so hopefully everyone involved can eventually do that, but forgiveness doesn't mean adulterers should mistakenly think their actions are okay because they’re not.

Do you forgive LeAnn? Let me know by posting your comments below.

Other stories we’ll be fired up about on "Showbiz Tonight" today:

Oprah is getting slammed by some Michael Jackson fans over her upcoming interview with his kids, and Kanye West is now apologizing for accusing former President George Bush of being a racist.

See you on "Showbiz Tonight" at 5 p.m. ET and again at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN today!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. www.galmovie.org

w*Hy|NEE, http://www.galmovie.org, movie, http://www.galmovie.org/26.html

April 14, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. harold

I'll forgive her if she'll have wild s3x with me!

November 7, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. Anoushah Alie

I was a cheater,,,longgggg time ago(wink), so I understand!! They are the not the first, and won't be the last!!

November 6, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. Calissa

YES – FORGIVE, MOVE ON. LeAnn actually is a sweet and genuine person, if people would look past this and realize who she really is.

November 5, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Roda

Pity the poor children. They are the ones that will suffer in the long run. Some NEVER get over it and have problems with drug addiction and depression. We have seen it so many times over the years.

November 5, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. SHY

DO THE EX'S FORGIVE THEM?
    DO THE CHILDRENS UNDERSTAND ENOUGH TO FORGIVE THEM?
    SOMETIMES THOSE WHO CHEAT AND HURT OTHERS WANT JUSTIFICATION.
    WE ARE SO IMPERFECT, AND WE DO MAKES MISTAKES...WHEN WE DO WE
    TELL THOSE WE HURT, WE ARE SORRY.
    NEXT – WE SHUT UP....DAMAGE DONE, GIVE THE LOYAL MATES A CHANGE
    TO RECOVER, TO HEAL.....THIS IS ONE WAY YOU SHOW YOUR SORROW.
    NOW WHEN YOU TALK OF HOW RIGHT IT WAS AND LOVE HAPPENS, THESE ARE HURTING COMENTS
    TO THE EX'S AND OTHERS. SO JUST BE QUIET AND IF SHE TRULY IS SORRY, LET THE MATES HEAL.

November 5, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. Heather

Well, I suppose I'll throw my two cents in here too. Ahem. EVERYONE SCREWS UP.. Clear enough? Good. Because one person made a mistake doesn't mean she and he deserve to be torn up and down, side-ways and upside down. I don't condone what she did, but seriously, get over it. And besides, it's none of our business what goes on in her bedroom, even if she's a celebrity and is living her life in the public eye.

November 5, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sandy

Brandi ( Eddiies exwife) was on The Talk & she was most gracious about speaking about the sitution she is in with Leann & Eddie - however she said she has been drinking more - I hope they could all get along.As far as forgiveness of Leann - maybe she has to forgive herself first. Remember - the children should come first.All parties shuld get out of the media & resolve issues in private

November 5, 2010 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Nick

If she would shut up about it and stop twittering and doing all this other crap that she and Eddie are doing to get a little attention then people would stop talking about it. They are the ones that keep bringing it up. I believe they are looking for some type of validation for their adultry from society. Unfortuantely in today's society they are looking for it b/c they know they can get it from a select few. Adultry is immoral, no matter who commits it. People keep bringing up Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. I don't care for them either. I agree what they did was wrong. That being said, I think the public's lilking for that couple has a lot to do with their charity work, not their relationship. Also they don't keep tweeting about the mess and talking about it everywhere you turn. Whatever you hear about them comes from fabricated magazine articles. If Leann wants this to go away then she needs to hush. She may have been one of country music's sweet hearts but she was never America's. Some people don't even like country music. It is not our place to forgive her. She is the one seeking validation from the public. She needs to be seeking forgivness from those she hurt and from the Lord, no one else.

November 5, 2010 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lance

Do we forgive her.. Seriously.. What right do we have to forgive her.. Nobody has the right to judge any of them. Its juvenile to consider any judgmental thoughts. Its uncomfortable maybe..Yes.. Its painful but its honest. If you really love some one you have no feeling to be near anyone else. Clearly she had issues with her old relationship.. they all did and it wouldn't have worked. Its better that it happened and I wish all of them the best with their lives. I'm sure that perhaps Leann's ex may have been hurt but he will be happier in the long run..

November 5, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jwrtr68

us as outside individuals reallyhave no weight in our comments whatsoever! do their spouses forgive them & why is the much more interesting scenario. whats LeeAnn gonna do? off herselfbecause we, the American public, are 'upset' with her actions?! If Cheney & Bush offed themselves that would give people across continents closure for much more important reasons than folks who can't keep under in their undies!

November 5, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. DKO

GO AWAY LEANN. WE'RE SICK OF YOU TWEETING ABOUT BRANDI'S KIDS.

November 4, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shirley

I think that the interview was just a way for LeAnn to try to persuade everyone that she did nothing wrong? They are two people who fell in love. What about their spouses? Didn't they fall in love with them. Wonder what love means to this couple. And LeAnn didn't mean to hurt anyone. Well, what did she think her actions would do? What happened to commitment? If things aren't going right in your marriage, why not solve that problem before bringing other people into a relationship. People who commit adultery will never understand the PAIN that you have caused.

Eddie, this is a nice way to bring your children up. Teaching them that it is okay to leave their children, how to lie, cheat and be deceitful. If you and LeAnn have children, what would you be able to say to your little girl when her husband leaves her for another woman. How would you be able to comfort her? Would you say..... Oh, well honey, they were two people who fell in love. Adultery is wrong. Both of you are wrong. You have caused such great pain to other people. But of course LeAnn regrets nothing she has done in her life, I guess that sums it up.

November 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. keith lee

NO!!!! she's a homewrecker!!

November 4, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Torrell

LeAnn is trying to do damage control with the public and media,right now.But it's just exacerbated the problem.These types of action were frowned upon after the whole Tiger Woods fiasco.Will LeAnn ever be as marketable as she once was? I don't know...Only time will tell.

Kobe Bryant's marketability has made a rebound(no pun intended). But it will never be what it once was.Or... what it could have been?

November 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Megan

Yes! I totally agree with this article. Should we move on???? That is the question. It is hard when Leann is constantly tweeting and parading innappropriately in public. She needs to get some class and remember that the two people (Dean and Brandi) deserve some respect. She needs to keep some things private. It is still too soon. She needs to hire a PR person to give her some advice because these interviews and her twitter are killing her career and reputation. I have never disliked a celebrity like this before. I am surprised that ABC put her in the same category as Carrie Underwood last night on "In the Spotlight."

November 4, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Lisa

I just want to say that I wish everyone involved, LeAnn, Eddie, the boys, Brandi and Deane nothing but the best. Happiness for all and I pray that they can find peace in their personal lives and relationships and especially with LeAnn Eddie and Brandi if not for themselves, for the kids, find civility.

November 4, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. surp

you people are so ridiculous about Bristol Palin what is she to comment about her she is a disgraceful teen and nothing more. talk about teens with values not about her she is not a star.

November 4, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Annette

CHEATER CHEATER....ONCE A CHEATER ALWASY A CHEATER. I'd say that they both deserve each other and will be swimming in the cheating pool again. From the song CHEATER CHEATER by Joey & Rory "To lay your hands on a married man bout as low as a gal can get" LOSER LOSER....

November 4, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LeeAnn

yes, cheating just happens, like so many other things in life, by making choices. She was so self righteous on an award show braggin about how she was the only one there that didn't cheat or get divorced. I remember thinking at the time, "Wow, I can't believe she just said that!" Looks like that came back to bite her in the a$*!

November 4, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  21. bjmoore

Eddie left his wife for someone else.

November 4, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  22. STLrose

Finding love with someone you cheated WITH does not excuse or absolve the adultery in the first place. It may be a happy ending for that couple, but what about the people they were committed TO when they hooked up with someone else? Let's not romanticize cheating. It's betrayal and hurtful. It demonstrates a lack of commitment. It should also be a reminder that the participating parties are not trustworthy, so future partners should be forewarned and understand that cheaters are often repeaters.

November 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Leah Bohrer

Yes! Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Forgive!

November 4, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  24. KW

While I haven't met LeAnn, I too agree with Lisa. People need to get over themselves and stop attacking LeAnn for her actions. What happened is over a year and a half old. The twisting of her words and turning against her that the likes of Tabloids and "Showbiz Tonight" fuel is hateful and insane. Why spread so much hate and negativity? It only causes more hurt and pours salt in old wounds. I truly believe she and Eddie love each other deeply and are committed to each other. And to those who say "once a cheater, always a cheater": who says people can't grow and change? Above all, every situation is different. People are different, and we don't know the full and complete story – just a bit of truth and a mess of lies, so we can't truly judge. I wish LeAnn, Eddie and his boys, Deane, and Brandi well.

November 4, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Britt

If she would keep her mouth shut about it then everyone would move on. She runs her mouth constantly on Twitter about another womans children. She spoke on the fact that it was her one year anniversary with Eddie and on that date one year earlier, she was married (and so was he). Everyone speaks so loudly that everyone should just let it go because it's been so long, yet she'll take another picture with his kids to try to use them to make her look like a "great" family woman who loves her boyfriends kids.

She needs to get over herself and drop the subject if she wants everyone else to.

November 4, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • KW

@Britt I agree that she probably should stop talking about it, and it seems like she will now and keep the focus on her music and film projects, but she can't help that the paparazzi take pictures when they're out living their lives. Eddie lives with LeAnn and when Eddie has his kids with him, she's there too. It's not about "getting over herself". Brandi has gone to E! News, US Weekly, InTouch and Twitter who broadcast her anger for the media to feed on, but you didn't seem to mention her in your reply.

November 4, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  25. PoopyJoe

It's not up to US to "forgive" LeAnn since she's done NOTHING to US! The only people who she needs forgiveness from is the people she hurt. She didn't hurt me. I buy her music. I'm not in a personal relationship with her. People need to get over themselves. Nobody is perfect. Grow up.

November 4, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

SHE HAS DONE A LOT TO US SHE BETRAYED US AFTER WE AXCEPTED HER FOR AMERICAS SWEAT HEART AND SHE BROKE ARE HEARTS

November 4, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jill

Maybe you should grow up and quit telling other people to grow up. You have to learn to accept that everyone doesn't have to agree with you to be a grown up.

November 4, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • KW

@Jill I don't think it was implied that "growing up" means "have the same opinion as me". It means look at the situtation objectivley and take yourself out of a situatation that had nothing to do with you in the first place.

I've been a fan of LeAnn since I was 4, and I'm not going to start bashing her and burning CDs and spamming the internet with hate because she made a human mistake. The bottom line is she makes great music and has incredible talent, and I intend on supporting her until she starts putting out products that I don't enjoy, which I don't think will happen. I think what happens is fans – or just... "observers of celebrities", I'll call them – blur the lines between an individual's profession and their private life. Yes, it's displayed on tabloids, TV shows and websites like this, but everything printed or posted isn't entirely true. Lies can be told and people believe them as if its gospel. We need to separate ourselves from that. We don't know the whole story.

I know I made several replies to this blog, but hopefully people can understand my feelings toward this issue in the way I understand theirs.

November 4, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Lisa

YES! People really need to move on. Was what they did right? No. Have they ever said it was? No. And just to pre-empt any comments about her not regretting the affair. That is not what she said. If you listen or read what she actually says and not the twisted version...what she said is she doesn't regret the outcome. Meaning she doesn't regret the fact that she is with Eddie b/c she loves him and is happy but does regret the road they took to get there! Ppl cheat it happens everyday. My dad cheated on my mom at one point. Luckily for them and our family they worked it out. But people do need to move on and let LeAnn and Eddie live their lives and be happy. I've met LeAnn many times and she has always been sweet kind and genuine and that hasn't changed. People make bad choices sometimes but it doesn't make them bad people. LeAnn is still sweet, kind, and genuine person with a big heart and deserves happiness and love.

November 4, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • MattK

Lisa – Not sure what LeAnn Rimes you are referring to knowing, but when she was younger and singing at the JohnnyHigh Club in the DFW, TX area, she was anything but sweet and geniune. However, I do agree with your post. We were not walking in her shoes nor Eddie's shoes. We do not know what was going on with their respective marriages. Regardless, it is their business, not ours. I forgive both of them. I have been cheated on and would much rather the relationship come to an end rather than sitting there trying to work things out with someone who cheated on me. And I found it deep within my heart to forgive the one that cheated because I am not going to carry around that burden for the rest of my life. And besides, "Let he/she who is without sin cast the first stone".. "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones"... Look in the mirror, ya'll... Is your life perfect?

November 4, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  27. jurby

i've been cheated on and know what's like to have your heart ripped to shreds by a cheater, so NO, Leanne nor Eddie should ever be forgiven for cheating on their spouses. it doesn't matter what their excuse is for cheating on their spouses – cheating is cheating. if they wanted to be together then they should have done the right thing and left their spouses BEFORE having a relationship with each other. shame on both of them! i may still like Leanne as a performer but when i found out that she was cheating on her husband, i lost all respect for her as a person. just like Mario Lopez cheating on his 1st wife at his bachelor party a few years back – i can't look at the guy on tv and not think of him as being a cheater. sorry but once a cheater, always a cheater.

November 4, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hollee

NO If LyAnne and her Boyfriend (somebody elses Husband) Eddie would Just shut up it would help in the healing process but these selfish twosome wants to spread their brand of ill gotten love for the whole world to see. Its interesting that they forget about the hurt they each caused their spouses and Eddie's children. Now LeAnne talks about Parenting like shes got children, HOW DARE SHE!!! This WENCH needs to remember that those are Eddi and his estranged wife's children, not Eddies and her children.

November 12, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |