Jay-Z responds to MC Hammer's video
November 4th, 2010

Jay-Z responds to MC Hammer's video

Hammer did warn us that this was coming.

Back in September, Kanye West released the track “So Appalled” as part of his popular G.O.O.D. Music Fridays campaign. Aside from Jay-Z, the song features the likes of RZA, Swizz Beatz, Pusha T and CyHi Da Prince, but it’s Hova’s verse that set off Hammer.

“And Hammer went broke so you know I’m more focused/I lost 30 mil so I spent another 30/cause unlike Hammer, 30 million can’t hurt me,” the industry mogul rapped.

Hammer promised to fight back, and left West with a warning for Jay via Twitter. “@kanyewest jay-hoe aka #HellBoy Tell Jay Oct 31 (Devils Nite) We’ll see if this record and video ‘Hurts Him,’” Hammer said.

Well, at long last, the song and video, “Better Run Run,” have hit the Web.

The video features a Jay-Z lookalike running through woods from a man with a devil mask along with lyrics like, “boy sold his soul.” (A nod to the Illuminati rumors that the rapper's denounced, perhaps?) This mask-wearing individual also puts up the diamond symbol, a staple of Jay-Z’s Rocafella and Roc Nation imprints.

The video concludes with Hammer apparently baptizing Jay-Z in a water, even though it's hard to tell whether or not he was just trying to drown the man.

It didn’t even take 48 hours for Jay-Z to respond, but he didn't counter with fighting words. In an interview with DJ Semtex, the music mogul almost seemed shocked by Hammer’s actions.

“Yeah, I didn’t know that wasn’t on the table for discussion,” Jay-Z said in regards to his poking fun at Hammer’s notorious bankruptcy. “I didn’t know I was the first person to ever say that.”

Jay-Z went on to say that he places Hammer in a positive light in his forthcoming book, “Decoded,” and that in this particular instance, Hammer might have read too far between the lines.

“When I say things I think people believe me so much that they take it a different way – It’s not rap anymore at that point. Now, it’s like a personal attack. I said some great things about him in my book. He’s going to be embarrassed. I said some really great things about him in the book and about people’s perception of him and I said really great things about him, but it is what it is.”

When asked by Semtex if there was any chance that Jay would respond with a song of his own, the answer was simple.

“No, of course not.”

Filed under: Jay-Z • Music

1. Forum

After I initially commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on each time a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the same comment. Is there an easy method you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

May 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sw_clutchcity

there is among people a such thing called maturing, by undergoing what life throws at you endure/survive life. you mature. if you dont make it to the end you dont endure, u passed through that era but you made no impact to the era. who has made an impact on hip hop between jay z and mc hammer? stay in ur lane(boo boo)

November 17, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. Truth

This is the equivalent of watching two 'tards on the short bus fight over a juicebox.

November 5, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jwrtr68

@shirley – The ether is Nas' very effective weapon! jay z is cooperate now so since music hasn't been his main bread & butter for a good minute these days his dedication...not so much!

November 5, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tevor

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYuwO5iGVxY&w=640&h=390]

November 5, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

Jay-Z is wack. Hasn't been relevant in years. He should have retired after The Black Album like he originally planned.

November 4, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. @cheefsfury

Hey dinglenut, I bet you're portalpunk aren't you?

f'ing looser...

November 4, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. colin

hahaha awesome it's about time someone famous puts jigga man on the spot

November 4, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. shirley

would someone please tell me what these two people is talking about.

November 4, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mc to mma

Well it seems like MC hammer is managing some guys who fight in the UFC(MMA). I wouldn't be so sure if I wanted him telling how to invest my money.

November 4, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • JIGGA SUPERFAN CLASS OF 2010

LOLOL HAMMER IS SO DUM I CNAT BELIEVE HE IS MAKING A IDSS SONG 2 JAYZ JAY IS GONNNA HAVE TO BUST OUT THE ETHER

November 4, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven Seagal

Jiggasupafan, can you use big people words so others can understand you?

November 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jim fix

Can someone translate this article into English?

November 4, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. KCV

LOL @ b badger
    Being from the original "hip hop" generation, I recall when both Hammer and Jay Z hit the scenes...neither was "hard" or "gangsta"...they both did party music! Hammer never gets the respect he deserves as a pioneer and entertainer (don't confuse this with him being a good lyricist, that he's not), but this is his what he does...when he first entered the scene his first song (and video) was dissing Run DMC, seemingly unprovoked. These days you need a gimmick to get the light back on you unfortunatley, Hammer chose to go after the top dog out right now. Jay did the "Man" thing and was smart not to respond. I wish both of these 40 year old men would stop rapping about each other and how much more money they have and get back to real Hip Hop...beats, rhymes, skills, diversity and substance, brag on your skills not bills!

November 4, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. b badger

On behalf of the rap industry and people everywhere, Please Hammer, don't hurt em!

November 4, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cheefsfury

LOLOLO ARE YOU FOR SERIUS HAMMER GTFO MAN HANG THEM BIG OL PANTS BACK UP OR TIE A NOOSE OUTTA EM AND DO US A FAVOUR

November 4, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. HAMMER TIME

Jay-Z did sell his soul. But M.C. Hammer is also dead broke and that song of his probably won't sell a dime let alone a penny.

November 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |