Lovato's dad: Hollywood pressure caused issues
November 3rd, 2010

Lovato's dad: Hollywood pressure caused issues

Demi Lovato's dad is speaking out about his troubled daughter, claiming that Hollywood pressure is at the heart of her problems.

The 18-year-old singer/actress announced Monday that she was checking into a medical center to overcome "emotional and physical issues she has dealt with for some time," and her dad, Patrick Lovato, tells RadarOnline that fame is to blame.

“There are a lot of pressures," he says. "That is one of the things I worried about when she signed with Disney."

Both Patrick and his ex-wife Dianne were in a band when Demi was young, and so he understands how tough touring can be for his daughter. But, he says, “She grew up around it so I guess that's why she went into it; I guess it's in her genes with her mom and her dad."

Though Demi has reportedly struggled with bullying, cutting and eating disorders, Patrick – who reportedly hasn't seen her since 2008 – says he was unaware of her problems.

But, he tells Radar Online, "She’ll be fine. She’s strong alright."

1. mayra

wasn't demi bullied when she was younger?? guess she hasn't fully gotten over that. it can take years until someone can get over being bullied. now, she is a gorgeous young lady, but i don't think she sees herself as beautiful. joe jonas breaking up with her also made her self esteem drop big time.

November 17, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JuneBug88

Anxiety and depression are hard to get through. I truly hope that she pulls through. No mater if she's Demi Lovato a star or Jane Doe a homeless runaway, everyone with emotional issues should get help. I'm proud of her for taking the mater in to her own hands and seeking help.
    Be sake Demi, be proud and stay true to yourself no mater what!

November 17, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Political Junkie

Guys, it's only been two years. Stop going "WHAA! HER FATHER IS SO BAD! I HATE HIM! HE SHOULD SHUT UP! I'M BETTER THAN HIM! KABLAH!"

He has had contact with her. So be quite.

November 3, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Geo

Ultimately, the parents are in charge of and responsible for their minor children. I'm sure Demi chose to take the route she did, with her parents enabling her with dollar signs in their eyes. Most individuals would jump at the chance to be a star, particularly with a multi-billion dollar company like Disney. Many kids also grow up without one of their parents in the picture, but thats not causing the exhaustion, being over worked causes that.

November 3, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • She can vote

Demi is 18, and if I'm correct, when your 18 you're no longer a minor.

November 3, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ANON

Nobody FORCED her to sign with Disney and be in the spotlight. I don't think her father should be blaming it all on her being a star. There are other kids that are stars that are NOT having an issue. That being said, I hope she recovers.

November 3, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Akira

Personally, I think that her problems are caused by so much stress... When shes on stage something inside her takes over but when shes off there are plenty of crazy fans, PR, and agents that all want her 24/7. she just needs to take a chill pill and I know that she will come back stronger than ever.

November 3, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mike gumban

I read today's issue of the Time magazine. Are issues same as problems?

November 3, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jenn

There are numerous blind gossip items that hint that she has a major coke habit, along with a thing for older men.

November 3, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jeremy bramwell

ONLY 25% OF CHILDREN ARE RAISED BY BOTH A MOTHER AND FATHER SO HER DAD NOT BEING IN HER LIFE IS NOT A SURPRISE WE ALL HAVE ISSUES WE ALL HAVE TO DEAL WITH WE ALL COME INTO THE SAME WORLD DONT HAVE ANYMORE COMMPASION ON DEMI THAN ANY OTHER PERSON I WISH HER WELL

November 3, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. christina

I can't believe that people comment on this saying that this is "all her fault" in my oppinion it isn't all her fault– or any of her fault– it's the fault of the industry and the separation from parents, the having to be almost perfect for TV. I think she is doing the right thing in getting herself help, I know that it can be hard to admit to people in life that you are struggling with issues such as depression and other things, I've been there and in fact, it took me an extremely large amount of time for me to admit to myself that I needed help. I know that Demi is doing the right thing for herself and am glad she is before she ends up like other celeberties...

November 3, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. GGnTX

Poor baby I hope she gets all the help she needs. My grand daughter likes her. I have had to watch camp rock 20 times lol
    Peace be with you child

November 3, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John

I hope she gets better..... it's awful to have people go through things in the public eye.... everyday people go through this with no news media covering it.... it has to be much harder for young adults in the public eye.
    To her parents, I have only one thing to say..... since she was a minor when she signed with Disney, it was her PARENTS who thrust her into the show business........ So they are to blame.

November 3, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Demi's Hot

This is so terrible. She is such an attractive young lady. I hope she gets here problems striaght and is successful at whatever she wants. She looks great and doesn't need to be a stick woman, she is lovely just how she is.

November 3, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dez

Put the blame where it usually goes as far as the reasoning for "absent" parents... It's the custodial parents that put garbage in their kids' heads. It's unreal what absent parents go through trying to keep in touch with their children.

November 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. brianna smith

Are we suppose to feel bad for these hollywood starlets. Maybe show biz is not for them if they can't handle the pressure. I don't feel sorry for them one bit. In and out of rehabs they get away with a lot because they are rich and famous what a shame

November 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin Timberlake

Cry me a river, lady.

Jealousy does not suit you one bit. Perhaps you forgot the part where celebrities are also HUMAN BEINGS. Kudos to Ms. Lovato for seeking help. Maybe life is not for you if you can't deal with hearing about the rich and famous. You don't have to feel bad for her just as we don't have to feel bad for you when you go through your problems.

November 3, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Nice generalization of celebrities you have going in your comment. Any other words of "wisdom" you would like to share with the more intelligent or are you done with your obviously bitter words for the rich and famous?

November 3, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chill out dude

Demi isn't "in and out of rehab". These are actually issues that regular middle school, elementary school, and high school kids go through. It just so happens she's an actress and singer.

November 3, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lorraine

She had a breakdown because Joe Jonas dumped her for Ashley Greene--and she still has to tour with an ex-boyfriend-–and I say again---who dumped her!

November 3, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. melisa

Her dad blames the industry but who took her to the auditions and was fine with the money she is making plus the houses she has bought her family. Hope she gets the help she needs and recovers fully.

November 3, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Destiny

I believe that if you want to be a star and live the good life you have to know the pressures of it and know what to expect and handle it. Most teens end up being big and once they start growing up they start to het washed out, it happens. For Demi, it is her and her parents fault because they knew the consequences and didn't listen this is what they got.

November 3, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  19. citizenUSA

Yaeh, dad's a turd. I know though that Hollywood can screw you up too. I think this young woman has more brains than Lohan, Hilton, Spears. She's willingly doing something about her issues and not waiting for a court order.

November 3, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Meesha

My husband hasn't seen his daughters in 5 years but it's because of their nutjob of a mom brainwashing them. They love him very much but..... ? She was given custody 18 years ago when Dads weren't given joint custody like they are given now. We are hoping they come back around when they get a little independence. Not all fathers are absent by choice. Most are but not all. I'm just saying... Don't judge. You never know.

November 3, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sutekh

You may say she did this to herself, but she is suffering major internal strife with her Sun square Moon and Venus square Mars ( a set of aspects that Mel Gibson has for example) She should really take some time to reflect if that is at all possible. Get her ducks in a row. http://astro-chologist.com

November 3, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Kermit Roosevelt

My little girl once asked me, "How do you become famous?" And I replied, "Well, when children are still babies, their parents sell them to Disney and never see them again." Got her off that topic fast.

But it's not far from the truth. These parents see their kids as salable assets, not their forebears. Blame the absent father, blame the mother, whatever. The industry did it, but the parents sold their child into it. This is just high-profile human trafficking.

November 3, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry

I love your answer, and you are right, it is not far from the truth. I have twin girls, and when they were 1, my husband and I were hounded by ad agencies. They were telling us how much money could be earned, and they would be set for life. My husband and I laughed at them and told them to go to hell. They were relentless. They are now 11 years old, have no desire to be in "the industry" and have had a normal childhood. Any parent who puts their children in the hands of strangers, all for the sake of money, don't deserve to be parents in the first place.

November 3, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  23. flower

It's easy to trash absent dads; did anyone ever consider that the truama that separates the parents in the 1st place could still be so damaging that the children may be better off when one parent bows out. This guy could've rode Demi's coattails but only comes out in her defense.There's more than 1 side to every story...

November 3, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Anon

What's wrong with her and these other celebs is not having their real fathers in their lives ... having a healthy father is key to success!

November 3, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  25. calandra

No one shld judge anyone else w/o knowing all the facts of that persons life.

November 3, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jangocat

No kidding. Disney has been creating train wrecks out of kids for a couple decades now. They chew them up then spit them out and when they get a couple years past 18 they move on to the next 12-14 year old and start the process all over again. Disney is not the wholesome company it once was. Everyone knows it, but her parents just couldn't resist the money.

November 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sunnysout

It's easy to blame this on Disney- they do just that chew em up and spit em out. But they can't do this without the parents consent. Even if it means that you don't let your kid join the Mickey Mouse Club or whatever, the kids best interest should always be ever present. Parents need to set boundaries when their kids express interest in becoming a part of any type of celebrity at such a young age. Regardless if it is a company like Disney or your local cable show. Think of all the child stars who are now adults and who didn't turn to drugs and hard partying, but went to college. If they were asked how they came through it all unscathed, I bet they would say that their parents and families kept them grounded and didn't allow them to be gobbled up by the "machine". These young kids shoulder a lot of responsibility and are just not mentally capable of balancing it. In time they gain a voice and decide they will make their own decisions and are not equipped to do so. I'm sure a lot of them think they know it all then it becomes a situation of enabling them. But look at Jodie Foster, Mayim Bialik, Ron Howard.... there are plenty of child stars who didn't go off the deep end. The challenge lays with the parents of these kids.

November 3, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  27. chicagoannie

Dude hasn't seen his little girl IN 2 YEARS...what credence should be given to his words???

November 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  28. X

None of you know anything about her family situation. So do us all a favor be quite and just ask that she comes out ok.

November 3, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. MattK

WOW!!.. Jump on the "I hate the father" bandwagon and accuse him of being an absentee father. No one knows the reason behind him not seeing her for two years. Could be her choice, could be the schedule they both keep, could be the mother having full custody and him not being allowed to see her. But don't jump to conclusions and accuse him of something without having facts to back it up...

On the other side related to her... If you cannot stand the heat, then don't go near the fire. She knew there would be pressure behind being an actress/singer... She grew up around it with both parents. If she was not up to the job, then find another carerr...

November 3, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Memberofthefamily

I'm a family member and I can tell you for a fact that Demi's bio dad has never been a part of her life. He left the picture when she was very young. And while her mother is a singer, she did not have the "Hollywood" career or lifestyle so Demi and her older sister, Dallas, were not raised in that 'celebrity' culture. So no...she didn't know all of the pressures that would come her way. Not that it matters – since when is it wrong to take a break to recover from exhaustion and stress? That doesn't make her a complaining child star, that makes her mature. And we should all be saying Bravo.

November 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  30. NetMan

As a minor, aren't the parents responsible for health of daughter? It's not Disney's fault, it's the parents.

November 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teeph

Totally. What I can't understand AT ALL, is how any loving parent could let (to say nothing of "encouraging") their child get involved with the entertainment industry. IWith very few exceptions, it chews kids up and spits them out as stunted, broken, maladjustested teens who then "blossom" into full-blow public spectacles.

Ironically, the woman who used to play "Blossom" (I can't seem to recall her name), would be one of those rare examples of kids who weather the storm of celebrity unaffected.

November 3, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • KSMITCH

EXACTLY! Don't blame the industry...if that is the case then she should just walk away! But, that will never happen–

November 3, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Kris

How hard it is to be young, rich and cute. Give me a break. She did this to herself, dont blame "the industry."

November 3, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

A person doesn't do this to him or herself. Clearly she's had more than a career in the public due to weigh her down – as is evidenced by her absent biological father. She's only 18 but already has the maturity to seek help when sh needs it. Good for her and 8 wish her the best.

November 3, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Kris

Easy for you to say when you don't experience it for yourself. None of us will truly know what she's experiencing.

November 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Ga Peach

Why do you even print comments from these absent fathers! All he wants is his 15 minutes and you should be ashamed to give it to him. She is 18 so if he hasn't seen her in over two years, he missed some very valuable time in her life.

November 3, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  33. MadCityBabe

Absent fathers can't say SH__T about anything!........every last one of them.....losers – your breed disgusts me!

November 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Emmie

Her dad choses to speak now? He has never been apart of her life EVER. She even wrote a song about it, if you ask Demi who her father is she will tell you Eddie De La Garza who is her step father

November 3, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Madison

Her father doesn't know much about his daughter considering they haven't seen each other in two years. It seems to be similar to Lindsey Lohan and her father's issues. i don't know the exact family dynamic at this point, but I'm to understand that there is no real effort made on either side to speak to one another.
    I really hope she focuses on HER when she's in treatment, and is able to get better. It's so sad to see someone fall from grace like this, but I'm sure she'll overcome it. She's got people in her private life who love her and will be there for her, not to mention fans who will be anticipating her return.

November 3, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Al

He has never been a part of Demi's life... NEVER. He is using the pain of his own daughter to get attention. It is shameful.

November 3, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Winn

I was going to say that he hasn't seen her in almost two years and had no idea that she had problems when she was younger, but he feels 'qualified' to blame it on the business?
      I hope Demi continues to seek help and work on her issues. Sending nothing but positive energies her way.

November 3, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  37. uh

Well I do hope her the best. Regardless of what she's going through, I hope she recovers and doesn't end up like a train wreck (Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, etc.).

However, it seems like everyone wants to have a take on her problems... who's next... Dr. Phil with his "expert" analysis?

November 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evan Shaw-Mumford

Why are people quick to say she is on the same trail as Britney and Lindsay? She's being responsible enough to recognize she has a problem and she is taking care of it.

November 3, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • uh

Read my comment carefully. I never said she was headed on the same trail as the two. These things can happen to any young star. You're right about giving her props for admitting she needs help and seeking it before things spiral out of control.

November 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • jake

that may be so but you unnecesarily brought it up

November 3, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  38. cheefsfury

IT MUST BE SUPER HARD TO GROW UP IN THE PUBLIC EYE LOOK AT HOW ALL THE OTHER PPL END UP

November 3, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • P Steele

I am going to tell you guys, I was on a local childrens show and everywhere I went I was recognized in the local area. It was ok when I was a child but then I got older and when I got to middle school the bullying was relentless. It was manageable as long as I stayed out of sight from people. Then one day my car broke down about half a mile from my house, and I had to walk home, thats when a couple of guys who were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighborhood,I got in one little fight and my mom got scared, she said you're moving in with your auntie and uncle in bel air, i whislted for a cab and when it came near, the liscense plate said fresh and had a dice in the mirror, if anything i could say that this cab was rare, but i thought nah, forget it yo home to bel-air

November 3, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Escarondito

P, you deserve the WIN of the century.

November 3, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jillian

LMAOOO at P Steele!!!! This story isn't funny but your comment is the funniest thing that could've ever been said in response to it. +1,000,000

November 12, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss P

"When she signed with Disney". 7-year-olds don't sign contracts, their parents do. Must not have been too worried about her, after all.

November 16, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |