Bravo's 'Matchmaker’ takes heat for bashing curls
November 3rd, 2010

Bravo's 'Matchmaker’ takes heat for bashing curls

“Men appreciate hair they can run their fingers through…” Patti Stanger of Bravo’s “Millionaire Matchmaker” wrote in her book, "Become Your Own Matchmaker."

While that may be true, NatuallyCurly.com is sick of Stanger telling women they need to flat iron their locks to land the man of their dreams.

In a letter to Stanger, folks at the website wrote: “NaturallyCurly.com has had it with your curl-bashing ways. Season after season, we’ve listened to you fuel insecurities and spread a notion that you can only be attractive with smooth, straight hair.”

“What would people say if you were asking women to change their skin color or eye color to attract a man?” the letter poses. “That is what you’re doing in your ongoing campaign against curls."

Though Stanger's reps didn't immediately respond to a request for comment, the matchmaker was previously criticized in 2009 for the same reason.

She told Glamour magazine: “[Curly hair is okay] … as long as it’s approachable hair, which means he wants to touch it, he wants to put his hands in it ... If you’ve got healthy hair and it’s naturally wavy, you’re fine. I’m talking about the frizzy, damaged, really harsh hair.”

NaturallyCurly.com - the force behind “No More Curl Bashing,” a Facebook page that has been “liked” on the social networking site about 800 times - also challenged Stanger to debate topics like dating and hair with the website’s president, Michelle Breyer.

Filed under: television

1. Eddie King

Say Eddie King likes "Bravo's 'Matchmaker’ takes heat for bashing curls"

November 5, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cookie

Stanger is extremely rude and hair is not the only thing she is critical about. She puts both men and women down about the clothes, hair, makeup and weight. She told a 27 year old she looked 37. Called people fat. It is obvious to me that she is not a nice person. Nobody is perfect including her.

November 4, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. D

Her hair isn't curled in the picture...and its funny that someone gets so offended by one's opinion...she makes millions giving out advice like that so I'm sure she's not going to suddenly change because some women chose to keep curly hair...She's got every right to say what she wants about a hairstyle and I'm sure she don't give a rats @$$ about what anyone else thinks-and I have naturally curly hair, I wear it both curly and straight so I'm not biased-I think other ppl complain too much-so suck it curly haired winers!

November 3, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amandacurls

" I'm sure she don't give a rats @$$"

The correct grammar would be "I'm sure she DOESN'T give a rats' @$$". Your argument loses some of it's power when you choose to use incorrect grammar. Also it's "whiners" not "winers". And no, we won't just let someone get away with insulting part of what makes us who we are without saying something. So why don't you suck it up.

November 7, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mrs. Mia Wallace

I like to watch her show, but I will admit she is very superficial. However, people with money are usually superficial so they're getting their money's worth.

November 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kiki

I'm sure glad someone address this. I am sick of her making this statement about curly hair women. It is surprising how she is trying to fix other people up but isn't married. hmmmm....

November 3, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kiki

http:thefashioncamp.com

November 3, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Leo

Well isn't it ironic that Patti's hair in this picture is curled?

November 3, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |