Zach Galifianakis lit up a fake joint on 'Real Time'
November 2nd, 2010

Zach Galifianakis lit up a fake joint on 'Real Time'

It seems that tabacky wasn't so wacky when Zach Galifianakis lit up during a recent appearance on HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher."

Discussing California's Proposition 19 ballot, which seeks to legalize marijuana possession for personal use, "The Hangover" star pulled out a joint, lit it, and began puffing away as his fellow panelists sat stunned.

Though conservative television and radio commentator Margaret Hoover sniffed the cigarette and assured viewers, "It's real," Maher's publicist has since told celeb site RumorFix, "It was not an actual joint. It was a prop."

In fact, Maher himself told CNN's Wolf Blitzer in an interview on "The Situation Room," "If it was a real joint, Wolf, I would have smoked it…I think it was cloves or something. Zach's crazy, [but] he's not that crazy."

California voters will decide on Prop. 19 today.

1. radio_revolutionary

ok 1) marijuana/hemp is the most useful plant on the planet....250,000 uses such as, pain killing, textiles, can be made into paper helping fight deforestation, has possible apllications as an alternative energy source( yields more oil per bushel than corn), and on and on and on. I have been a smoker for about 5 years, and am also a navy veteran, prior alcololic, I no longer drink because I smoke, I feel better (no hangover), had alcohol poisoning while in the navy, but can't die from weed?...hmmm, seems ok so far, everone that I know smokes, everyone! Teachers, lawyers, construction workers, I myself work at a radio statio, 60 to 70 hours a week, but alcohol nearly ruined my life, so to the people against legalization, you are the people that I fought for, and you're all idiots!

November 2, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Harley,

Hello fellow Americans,
    I am an American born citizen raised in the Church of Christ beliefs to now being a total Atheist. A former Marine Corps officer who served for 14 years and during the Persian Gulf War, fought it in heavily polluted clouds that were black as the night with no light coming through. You had to put a flashlight to your face and hand to see anything. With burning oil wells all around me, I came back from the war extremely sick. At that time, the government never recognized that there may be problem with the vets. The republican government who I served under for many honorable years are the ones to blame in eliminating my veteran's benefits to be cared for in a Veteran's hospital. And now, I have been diagnosed with a brain tumor. Thank you GOD FOR MAKING POT!!!!!

November 2, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Coty09

To RUNuts,
    Do you realize how ignorant and naive you sound. Cannabis is NOT a gateway drug. PROHIBITION is the gateway drug. When someone go's and buy's pot from a drug dealer that drug dealer usually is dealing harder drugs which has more profit motive. The drug dealer is going to ask you if you want to buy something stronger and harder. That is the only gateway theory. There is scientifically nothing in cannabis that makes you want to try anything else, especially heroin or meth; which are completely different highs than pot. If you have never tried pot you have no room in this argument. Cannabis is by far the least addictive and dangerous "drug" available. Prohibition is the worst policy since slavery. Most crime is attributed to prohibition. Either to obtain illicit drugs or to control illicit drugs. END PROHIBITION NOW!! Legalize ALL drugs and regulate, control and distribute them through non advertising dispensaries with categories for hard drugs and soft drugs. Then tax the hell out of them and redistribute the money to drug prevention education and responsible drug use programs.

November 2, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff

Vote YES on Proposition 19! Alcohol and cigarettes are far more dangerous to society.

Marijuana is a plant!!! How do you outlaw plants? I’ve never understood that!

I’ve smoked much pot with CEO’s, CFO’s & Presidents and VP’s of Companies.

The law needs to change, it is only a matter of time America!

November 2, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ben

Have tried a lot of non-injected drugs in my almost 40 years, pot is by far the weakest of them. Booze is much more addictive in general. Coke is major addictive, and after trying it twice, i realized it was WAY to good. PCP is wacked and takes your brain somewhere else. NOW TO MY POINT: the only reason I had access to these other drugs is because pot was illegal. The people that had pot also had access to other stuff. If pot was Legal, then I wouldn't have been exposed in the first place. I'm not saying I wouldn't have ever been exposed, but I wouldn't of had to run with a seedie crowd just to get some weed. As for gateway, it's more the exposure than the drug. Like said before: "you can get bored of the high", but if you don't have the willpower to NOT poke a needle in your arm (never done it, never will), then what else are you willing to do? Everyone has heard that Meth/Coke/Herion... are super addictive, so why try them in the first place. PS: I haven't done anything other than weed and booze in almost 20 years. Gateway or Willpower???

November 2, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Another note: I've been working in the corporate world for the last 15 years and shared "sessions" with CEO's, CFO's, Operation Managers, IT Managers, Supervisors and regular joes...

November 2, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sean

See the problem is that conservatives can't think for themselves. They either have to listen to some mythological god. Or rush limbaugh, or glenn beck, or that idiot reagan. Thinking as an individual scares them. It frightens them when things change. Because the more individuals out there the more confused they get.

November 2, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. HappyUser

URNuts..I think you seem to be missing the point. It's all about choice. Why should you, me, or anyone else get to decide what you do to your own body. Sure, alcohol is terrible for your body, yet millions of Americans drink every day. Sure, cigarettes are terrible for your body, yet millions of Americans smoke every day. Alcohol and tobacco are both legal, yet I choose to drink socially and not to smoke at all. I do; however, choose to smoke, on a regular basis if available. I go to work every day, pay my bills on time, and lead a semi-successful life. I never drive while high, and I choose to smoke in the privacy of my own home.

My question to you is, why do you think you should have the right to tell me that I can't? Disregarding the countless medical uses, and plethora of medical data to back up the fact that marijuana is benign. Well, the gateway drug theory...don't make me laugh. I enjoy my pot, I'm never going to go reaching for a needle to shoot up some heroin, or go and grab a crack pipe. It's time for people to be accountable for themselves, and to get Big Brother of their back.

November 2, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • HappyUser

Correction: I should probably proofread before I post. I choose to smoke WEED on a daily basis NOT tobacco.

November 2, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Matt

@ RUnuts

Dude seriousley? talk about cleche. I'd have to say that about 95% of the people that i know that smoke pot arent stupid, and dont try coke or meth or heroin because that stuff CAN kill you. Its nearly impossible to OD on Pot and it's far better then alcohol or tobacco. You're prolly an uptight conservative still hellbent on what was said by Raegan about 30 years ago... Times change. Get with the program.

November 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jim

DUI under the influence of drugs is a crime and yes can kill someone. A blood test will prove that and just like a DUI alcohol a warrant will be requested and the same penalties apply

November 2, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Holly S.

That and perhaps many of you do not realize how many Americans already smoke. I'd say at least half of all adults I know smoke on a somewhat regular basis, and probably 90% of the half that smoke – you would NEVER suspect because they're responsible professionals. It only makes sense to either legalize & tax or decriminalize at the very least.

November 2, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Holly S.

Marijuana is not a "gateway" to anything besides the kitchen! People who want to get high are going to get high. I've been smoking for 20+ yrs, I don't do other "drugs", I've had the same job for a decade, I've never gone to work under the influence & never would. Some people are just irresponsible & will be irresponsible whether it's legal or not.

November 2, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. maryjane420

Ok so i'm 21 years old been smoking weed since i was 11..i have never done any other drug and cant even stand alcohol. i am a junior in college and doing extremely well for myself and have never been in trouble with the law so in my eyes there is no down side to pot.it just makes you happy..you people are way too serious about this it will be legalized and when it is there will be laws set in place for safety of course! duh! it's not like u can go 2 work drunk..so just get over it and accept it..don't worry be happy!!

November 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. The legendary duff

First off I've never done any illegal drugs so I can only talk about what I've seen my friends and family go through. In regards to the gateway aspect of pot, it is only a gateway because we make it one. People associate marijuana with being a "drug" because our laws say it is. Once people try pot the mental guard goes down because they think, "this isn't so bad i wonder if other things aren't so bad." All aboard the ecstacy train next stop acid, pills, free basing, and heroin. If we remove the stigma that people are doing so called drugs when they're smoking pot it may help sever that connection between the two. This goes for mostly anything that as a society we consider bad. And yes alcohol is one of them but usually only in the underage drinking capacity. I drink beer and have no urge to move on to something harder regardless of how rampant addiction runs in my family.

November 2, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sxycindy

Every 7minutes in this country a person is killed by a drunk driver. Nobody dies from smoking weed. Get a grip ppl.

November 2, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. What

RUnuts- stop trolling. It will be legalized. Also, since you seem to know so much, please inform us on why it is illegal today. I'll save you the trouble. Rope manufactures lobbied that hemp be illegal, so that cotton would stay the fiber of choice. Sorry. This unedumacated head believes you should suck on it, a bong that is.

If you are a MP, thank you for protecting me and my family. I'll be the first to thank you when you have to protect my right to burn.

November 2, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  16. JRoss

I'm from British Columbia and our economy is going to have some major repercussions if this thing gets passed in California. No more BC Bud exports! Seriously, it's a huge underground economy up here. Something like 20 billion a year circulated in the mainstream and 20,000 jobs at stake according to the news this morning.

November 2, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. john

Parental control is a another debate altogether

November 2, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Easy Access

The biggest problem that I see with legalization is that mj will be more easily accessible to kids. Parents are already irresponsible with beer in the fridge and cigarettes on the kitchen table. If pot is easy to get, more kids will get it and get high. If you are a responsible adult who wants to smoke, I have no problem with it. But, you have to make an effort to keep it out of the hands of children.

November 2, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. shoe

Cheesecake is a genious. Because we all saw the turnaround with the violence of prohibition era when they relegalized alcohol. Or wait, did we? Prohibiting the use only does just that. People will still use their substance of choice. Apples and oranges. Apples don't make you lose control, black out, or die in a puddle of your own vomit, but the oranges sure do. The laws against marijuana are not protecting people from it, only causing them to break a pointless law. Think for yourself, question authority.

November 2, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Carnegie

It was pretty obvious when Bill didn't take it.

November 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jay Kay

His joint is fake? Is it a strap on or something?

November 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. OccasionalToker

I have smoked weed off and on for the last 20 years of my life (began when I was 14, will be 34 this December). I have NEVER tried another drug, and do not even regularly drink alcohol (on average, I have 3-4 drinks per year!). So, it's a "gateway drug" huh? My brother smokes it, my current girlfriend, as well as every previous one, smokes it, I've known lawyers, judges, doctors, EMT's, teachers, postal workers, DMV workers, chefs and pastry chefs, graphic designers, police officers, non-profit CEO's, DCFS case managers, and regular ole everyday people who have smoked it.Not one of those people, except for the judge (who did LSD in the 60's as a teen), has ever done anything harder, and the majority of them do not regularly drink alcohol either.

All these lies perpetuated by mass media, and those who have economic interest in keeping this harmless substance illegal. And, to though people who say they know someone for whom weed was a gateway drug I say this; your friend or family had an addictive personality BEFORE they smoked weed. They more than likely would have become addicted to that more potent substance, or something else, anyway, without ever having had an introduction to weed. You really need to wake up, and get a clue. People are smoking crack, shooting heroin, and snorting cocaine NOW, during prohibition. So, ending prohibition isn't going to up the ante. What it WILL do is make weed less of a crash crop than it currently is. And there, my friends, is the true foundation of the entire debate.

November 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  23. john

Just did my own research out of 4 major american cities in the last 6 months there has been 714 deaths where alachol was a factor, in those cities during the same timefram there we're 7 deaths where pot was a factor 5 of those 7 deaths were at the hands of local, state, and federal law enforcement attempting to disrupt illeagle actvites. Had those activites been leagle and they went trying to make a bust my guess is there would have been 5 less deaths were pot was a contributing factor. Just saying

November 2, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUNuts

First, apparently pot is rotting your brain causing your spelling to suck something terrible. Second, had pot been legal, those numbers would be much higher. That's the only reason those numbers are so low.

November 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. MikeD

People who say Mary J is addicting and a gateway drug have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. They've probably never even tried it. It should be legal.. hands down. I was watching the show and when Zach did it, he took a couple hits and then looked around the room yelling "OMG the dragons are everywhere".. .just as a funny statement aimed at those who think Mary J is so terrible. just a side note.. how many drunk, abusiving parents are out there?? Parents hittin the bottle all day, then takng their misserable life out on their wife and kids. I'm just saying. I really have lost faith in society today. people are so up tight and holier than thou I cant stand it.

November 2, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Rowlf

Pot is a gateway drug: to fun.

November 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. john

The former MP is right a DUI is a DUI but I would rather get hit by someone who is stoned than someone who is drunk at least the stoned driver will only be going less than 15 miles an hour.

November 2, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUNuts

No they both go just as fast as the other. Big difference is Police will not be able to prove that they are stoned nearly as easily.

November 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  27. shoe

I would say the prohibition of marijuana causes us to turn a blind eye and sweep the problems of abuse under the rug, not the other way around. Giving people the right information and allowing them to be free to make the right choice is the only way to go.

November 2, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jim

Abuse is abuse. many kids abuse marijuana, alcohol, perscription pill, over the counter meds you name it can be done. and to say that marijuana can't impact someones life in a negative way you are are wrong. look at the kids whose grades have suffered and they have 0 motivation. look at the families whose relationships have been destroyed by addiction/abuse. so to legalize something never makes the problem go away it just supresses it so that we look the other way.

November 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  29. shoe

Who cares if it was real, it's a television show. America needs to grow up and learn from their mistakes. Prohibition doesn't work and we know that. Weed is only remotely a gateway drug because we are forced to pick up from what they call a "drug dealer", who usually sells drugs. The laws against marijuana make it easier to bridge that humungous gap between marijuana and herion. Anyone who shoots up or smokes crack is a moron, so who cares if they started with weed?! They would have made that terrible choice eventually on their own usually. Let it go, legalie it!

November 2, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Obama

I love how Maher and his buddies say that weed and other drugs are no big deal but after something hits the news they start speaking like it was some crazy taboo in California. What a liar.

November 2, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. SO--SOHIGH

He's probably hiding a few more doobies in his beard. "SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY"

November 2, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. BUZZED

All of you know-it-alls think your so smart. You frown on those who smoke weed because of the lack of happiness in your own life. Your so high and mighty that your a**hole is so clenched farts cant even make their escape. Get real America. Im gonna weigh my sack on the balance of Justice.

November 2, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  33. ctown killa

Marijuana isn't a gateway drug. before i consumed any illegal drug i used alcohol, and other legal medication type drugs that i liked the side effects as a kid. so the real gateway drug for me was Tylenol 4 when i got knee surgery at age 18

November 2, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  34. lilibelle

You guys take your comedy way too seriously.
    I love you, Zach.

November 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. beeee

self-destructive people will try to destroy themselves with any tools they can find. The solution is not to take tools away, but to allow the tools that will help them understand their subconscious to become accessible, so through self-exploration(be it drugs, mysticism, art, etc.) they can overcome their ego and enjoy the miracle of life.

November 2, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Vic

We should also make alcohol illegal.. Take one from us so take one from you.. It's only fair..

November 2, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  37. not a pot head

Well most people that smoke pot are mello,they do not like the affects of anyother durg that makes you speed.Plan and simple.

November 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  38. afire

There is no safe solution to alcohol. I agree marijuana is a gateway drug. After watching a relative start smoking it, then selling it, then stealing relatives meds for personal use, I would agree it isn't any better. But I am sure all the pot heads will say I am wrong.

November 2, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Lynn

I love the way people say you'll see that legalizing pot is wrong when someone is "high" and he messes up or makes a mistake and kills someone. Really? This is your argument? People are already high! What about the people who drink and drive? It's illegal to do, but alcohol is still legal and people do driink and drive. How about the people who self medicate with over the counter drugs that make them drowsy? It's ok, because it's legal? The countless americans on some kind of anti depressant who drive and operate machinery everyday!! It's ok because it's legal? I don't use pot, but know many succesful hard working people who do and have for years. They are neither lazy or dangerous. This irrational fear of pot is so odd to me. We know alcohol and cigarettes kill millions of people each year, but it's ok, it's legal! Frankly, the biggest gateway drug on the market is legal and is praised all the time on TV, during sports events and advertised for millions to see. It's called BEER. Every person I know started out at a party drinking beer.

November 2, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Charles

Brilliant guy I have to say, I don't smoke but I like how people can stand up for what they believe in a strong way wothout using violence.
    Charles

November 2, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Toni

Gateway drug? No. Perhaps heroin, meth, cocaine etc., addicts started with pot, but not all pot smokers go to herion, meth, cocaine etc.

November 2, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Meat

You people making a big deal out of this are most likely hypocrites. This kind of stuff goes on in movies all the time, and nobody says a thing about it. Also, ya know, pot is so much safer than booze.

November 2, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUNuts

Also, ya know, pot is so much safer than booze. Really and I'm guessing you believe in the Easter Bunny too huh?

November 2, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  43. @omegaraiel (twitter)

Why do people assume ppl can smoke pot on the job if they can't drink? Idiots

November 2, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  44. @omegaraiel (twitter)

It's only a gateway drug because drug pushers push their customers to harder more expensive stuff. legalize it and remove the pushers and no problem.

November 2, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jack

@URnutS

Lay off the pot, get off your moms couch and go back to school so you can learn to spell and perhaps (one day) learn to articulate yourself like an educated person.

For everyone else – no one will ever agree if pot is in fact a 'gateway' drug or not, it probably is for a lot of people, and isn't for as many. Personally, when I smoked a lot of it I was curious if I could get a better or different 'high' elsewhere. I was simply curious – but common sense told me not to bother. It's a choice right? I don't think it should be legalized but I also don't believe it should be demonized either. Perhaps, like alcohol, it should be used and not abused.

November 2, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Armina

There is so much going on right now, maybe legalizing marijuana might help in small measure. Of course, there are concerns and as always some power huggers to take control, but if we can find the mystical balance... Ah, maybe then we've taken a step forward.

November 2, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  47. hafbreed

URnutS: Your typing is not helping you. You just sound like an idiot.

November 2, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Joshua

To those who continue to call pot a gateway drug. Your out of your mind. I've seen people who were drunk, or heavily buzzed from alcohol get into fights, car crashes etc. And i've never seen "1" person who smoked pot do anything violent. I've been smoking pot for over 10 years and not once did I think about trying another drug. All these political parties and so called experts forcing us to think that pot is bad needs a swift relality check and look at what alcohol has done to our society over the years.

November 2, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • mitchell

Not 100% true. I used to smoke a lot and never tried anything else but lots of friends have completely due to smoking so much. As in, started thinking "well im kinda bored and used to this type of feeling so i wonder what everything else does to you. maybe it's better." It changes a LOT based on personality.

November 2, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  49. RS

I think it's great that so many people are smoking pot...because I don't and the job market is really tough right now. Of course there are some really suitable jobs for potheads too. It's a win – win.

November 2, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I hate to break it to you, but you are still competing with the intelligent potheads for those jobs...they get synthetic urine and pass the drug screens, too. Of course, this won't matter much longer- it will soon be legal and we won't have to be covert.

You can take that discrimination elsewhere. Many folks who smoke have quite an intellect; we are doctors, lawyers, scientists, politicians, engineers, and there is nothing different about us other than our choice of recreational drug.

November 2, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  50. mitchell

Zach is actually a very intelligent person and i don't think his point was to lie and make people believe it was real i think the point was to get people talking and to realize it shouldn't be seen as any worse to do that on tv than it would to see someone drinking alcohol as you will see on pretty much any show you turn to.

November 2, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  51. khemraj

so you guys would prefer to have weed legalized? ok, great but what happens when an airman that's smoking a joint works on a F 22 Raptor screws up and the fighter jet crashes into a populated area or that doctor and techs that are performing surgery screws up the operation or the airman in the nuclear facility or civilians that works at nuclear plants or cops who are high fails to do their job? who will be responsible for the after effects of their negligence? you?

November 2, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • mitchell

ha ha ha good one?

November 2, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spade

i'm sure if it were legal that jobs would have a policy of no smoking whilst on the job. especially a freakin pilot. they should put a warning lable on bags of weed "don't do anything stupid, just watch tv"

November 2, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Khemraj- alcohol is legal, yet we understand that it is inappropriate to show up to work intoxicated. I highly doubt that legalizing/decriminalizing marijuana use will suddenly excuse people going to work high or stoned.

November 2, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beeee

That's like saying, "if we legalize straws, then someone is going to drink hot tea through it and burn his mouth! Think about the children! We don't want children burning their mouths!"

Come on, you don't eat soup with a hammer.

November 2, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vic

Um I would feel the same way if that pilot was drinking alcohol and drunk or if the cop was drunk.. Just bc something is legal doesn't mean u do whatever u want.. That us precisely why the law wants to make it legal for adults over the age of 21.. Makes it more difficult to obtain it as a kid as well when u have to show id. U see what a big deal everyone makes when they thought they saw him pull out a joint? Bc of the stigma attached to the idea. Grow up people this is America.. We can't all be this dumb after all these years of forced prohibition.. Ps when u have prohibition that's when u create black markets, and things like moonshine get introduced.. Far worse than any drug.. Control it and tax it. Period.

November 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUNuts

I agree with you khemraj.

November 2, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • marie

ummm... sweet pea... alcohol is legal, and pilots and doctors aren't allowed to use them before going to work either. I think it's safe to assume the same rules apply. What are YOU on??

November 2, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  52. ja

"""There is no such thing as a safer alternative to alcohol, many people don't believe it but marijuana is a gateway drug, i have personally seen many friends throw there lives away and it all started with weed and they worked there way up the chain to heroin."""

. Your friends were losers before they tried weed, and now that they got heroin they continue to be losers

November 2, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Scott

does it really matter one way or the other? Who cares if it really WAS pot? The only people who are making an issue out of this are the "Johnny on the Spot" narcos out there that take issue with things just b/c it's illegal. Where are the people to point these folks out when the jay walk or speed or god knows what other little infraction they commit against the laws of the land. Give it a rest all ready.

November 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  54. justin

pot has been smoked by every demographic all around the world for years. people have smoked it their entire adult life, working hard, and raising good family's . whether you smoke or Not its time it be the persons individual choice.

November 2, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Drew

Having not smoked myself since college, I'm all for legalization. I didn't fall into a black hole of escalated drug addiction. But I can not abide by violent offenders not serving their whole sentences because we have to parole them to make space for these pot smoking "junkies". Get real people. Legalize it, tax it. These cartels who r destroying Mexico right now would not be in power if not for America's (failed) War on Drugs.

November 2, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  56. rcgp

I enjoy Maher and his show. I'm going to bet that it was a joint.

November 2, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  57. Ben

Of course they say it was fake. Maher not only is not the "edgey Libertarian" he claims to be (I don't think he knows what a Libertarian is), he is also a pragmatic coward who knows that this is bad press or worse.

November 2, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  58. mejazzbo

A fake makes it a non-point.

November 2, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  59. ru serious

Ru nuts your exactly whats wrong with america your a sheep. start thinking for yourself alch and cigs kill ten times more people annually than ALL ALL illiegal drugs COMBINED POT IS PEACFUL how many times have you seen or heard of a drunk hitting some 1 or theyre wife and kiids or wrecking there car into a pregnant woman. the reason its illeigal is Control.

November 2, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • RUNuts

At everyone saying that potsmokers don't get into fights. Look at why, 1:There brains are too fried to comprehend what fighting really is, they just laugh like idots.
      2:They can't remember what any argument was about to begin with.
      Alcohol is recorded of having far more bad things associated with it because far more people use it. Don't think for a minute that it is safe to toke-up then go for a drive as former MP i can tell you a DUI knows no one substance.

November 2, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUNuts

No i am the Wolf.

November 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joose

@runuts
      i drive to work, to school,home higher than a kite everyyyyyday.
      for 6 months. EVERY DAY.
      ive never been in an accidet, never been arrested, never been pulled over. In the city of Los Angeles/
      weed makes you a better driver man. GET SOMEEEEE!

November 2, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  60. RollTideRoll

so how long have you been brainwashed?

November 2, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  61. HA

@ RUNuts....you're kidding right? Gateway drug? That's what society wants us to believe that if you smoke pot, you'll end up "graduating' to Coke, Heroin, Crack, Ecstasy, etc..... Simply not true at all. Look at how many Dr.s, Lawyers, POLITICIANS, Police, and so on smoke pot and havent "graduated" up the drug chain. Go look up how many ALCOHOL related deaths there are VS. Marijuana... nice gateway argument though, you're probably a cop yourself. they all love to sing that Gateway song so much, you'd swear it was for a personal computer commercial!!! It WILL be legal one day and i cant wait!!

November 2, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  62. realword

RUNnuts – it is only a gateway drug because the youth see it demonized by adults. When they try it and see it is nothing but a blip...they figured "Hey, they say the same thing about coke & meth as they do about marij...those are prob nothing either"

November 2, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  63. Tom

Every moron that ends their life (either literally or figuratively) by using heroin, crack and such drugs, was going to do it in some fashion regardless of starting with weed or not.

Don't blame people's natural stupidity on pot.

November 2, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  64. doc

Saying pot is a gateway drug is like saying....shoes are a gateway to crime....when you wear shoes its easier to rob a bank...its what you do after the fact, that matters most...we all make our own choices

November 2, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Sheik Yerbouti

@ DOC
      C'mon....Are you for real?!?! You are so seriously misguided.
      Everyone knows that shoes are not the gateway to crime....PANTS are!
      Try robbing a bank without shoes, and then try robbing a bank without pants. I bet you won't even get into the bank without pants, much less get out with some money.
      ELIMINATE PANTS & STOP CRIME !!!

November 2, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  65. James

REALLY PEOPLE, ALCOHOL BEING LEGAL AND POT ILLEGAL IS A EFFIN JOKE!! AND FOR THE IDIOTS SAYING POT IS THE GATEWAY DRUG.. I THINK YOU PEOPLE NEED TO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.. ALCHOHOL IS THE GATEWAY DRUG!!! IF THERE IS SUCH A THING......

November 2, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Please hit your caps lock, typing everything in caps makes you look like an idiot. Well, that and your grammar.

November 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • runner305

When you shout, even people who would normally agree with you get upset with you ...like me

November 2, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • marputt

Ok I agree alcohol is a gateway drug. I also agree Tobacco is a gateway drug. Both are bad for you. So you are saying since these two are bad for you. Then that also means you want the ability to smoke pot legal. Even though it is not as bad as these (which is stretching it but giving you the benefit of the doubt). I am sorry two wrongs do not make it right. I am on the Libertarian fence on this anyway. What you do in your own home (as long as it does not affect your neighbor) is your business. But I also see a need for drug and alcohol testing in certain professions. Dr's, Airline pilots ect.. But your argument does not hold water.

November 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Quiet

Serioulsy .....he's just not that funny!

November 2, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  67. vman

Zach is a poser indeed. Yesterday I said you are a Legend. I was wrong. You are fake, just like your acting, and your actions.

November 2, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  68. RUNuts

I wasn't saying alcohol, is safe either for those of you who were thinking it.

November 2, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • realworld

November 2, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  69. tRuthless

Cheech (might have) called BULLSHIP on that one!!!

I guess this means that Zach is almost COOL......

Thanks for posing anyway.

PEACE

November 2, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  70. tomy3witt

it shows how scared America is of change and money making ideas. 3 cash drops of smokeable marijuana would almost wipe out our national debt!!!

November 2, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

That's a stretch! Be realistic! Oh but that’s really hard for a pothead to do. Marijuana growers will be no different from any other American corporation. You act as if legalizing marijuana will in some way "save" us. It will be taxed just like any other American corporation. Sure it may increase revenue and increase state and local coffers slightly, but reduce national debt. I don’t think so! Marijuana growers will blend into corporate America like any other company and cheat the people and its government just like all the other corporations in America do.

November 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • RAWoD

@Choconet - You ask for us to be realistic? You are wrapped around your fairy tale of religion so tightly that your brain isn't getting enough oxygen. You state a taxation-based argument. Let's have another: why should any organized religion in this country recieve tax exempt status? They certainly state purely political views from the pulpit. They tell their sheep who to vote for and who to vote against. You want to reduce the national debt - lets tax your church.

November 2, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  71. tracy

Amen david! truer words have never been said.

November 2, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  72. David Bromstein

It won't mean a thing in a hundred years. Get over it people.
    Poison is consumed daily in many a fine establishment, sports arenas and on public beaches and no one bats an eye.
    No adult should ever be punished for choosing a safer alternative to alcohol period.

What you are witnessing is the evolution of intelligence.

November 2, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel Serna-Geitz

I couldn't agree with you more, David.

Even with scientific and empirical proof, people still refuse to believe the harm of alcohol. Even more so, they refuse to believe the harmlessness of marijuana.

November 2, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • URnutS

RUnutss, i bett ur sippin on something right now. luckly those friends only got into heroin and crack and not alcohol. if someone is willing to crack or heroin then of course they will b willin to smke a joint. this gateway thing makes no sense its a theroy tht idiots like you like to belive cuz ur too much of a girl to rip a bong.

November 2, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Adam

@RUnuts:

You claim pot is a "gateway" drug. Well I hate to tell you, but the "gateway" is acutally alcohol and tobacco, no matter what you believe. Pot has never killed anyone to date (this is fact), and there are medical benefits. What are the medical benefits of tobacco? NONE! Yet, it is still legal. Alcohol leads to liver disease, anger, etc. Yet it is still legal. So why not pot? It all comes down to personal choice. Who is the government or you to tell me what I can put in MY body? It hypocritical to say someone is bad because they smoke pot, yet you probably drink alcohol do you not? Stop believing the lies about pot. Just because it will be legal one day doesnt mean you have to use it.

November 2, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Travis

I hate to bust anyone's bubble, but ALL drugs are gateway drugs. Once someone experiences a high and they like it, they get curious as to what other high's are about. Alcohol is a drug and I know many people who have done some stupid drugs while on alcohol, people who don't even smoke marijuana. If you are going to try to make a negative point about marijuana, make sure it is relevant please.

November 2, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

Amen to that brother. When has marijuana ever caused cirrhosis, heart disease, alcohol poisoning, neurological disorders, diabetes complications, birth defects, OMG, the list goes on. And for those of you that think that marijuana is a gateway drug, really? I mean really? Do some research people. Marijuana has provided substantially relief for people with debilitating diseases, chronic pain and in cancer. There is no need for this drug to be banned. It's all about control.

November 2, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • vin

ahh the old pot is a gateway drug argument. Do you know why pot often does become a gateway drug for kids? It's because they are constantly told that pot is as bad for them as coacaine and heroin are. Then one day whent hey are inevitably exposed to pot and realise its not this horrible dangerous thing they have been told it is , they start to think hey maybe all those other drugs arent so bad either.

Educate properly and treat the chemical as it is and you wouldnt have this problem. Kids need to know that pot and cocaine arent even in the same realm of danger so they can actually make educated decisions

November 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yoru

I agree with Adam 100%

November 2, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Pete

You're pretty boring Kiki. Pretty boring.

November 2, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  74. Crimson

He only pulled the 'joint' out after he kept trying to make a point only to get interupted by the other panalists repeatedly. It was actually pretty fun and did shut them up for a second so he could talk.

November 2, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  75. mobrule

it's ok that it wasn't really pot, he's not really funny.

November 2, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  76. bob

It was staged. Maher is running out of cheap tricks, heh

November 2, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  77. kiki

Sorry to bore you Pete. lol :)

November 2, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  78. lance corporal

there are other ways to advertise a website rather than spamming talk boards

November 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Geeman

I saw it, he did it because it was funny, and it was I laughed. Love it, fake or not.

November 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |