'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Is fame to blame for Demi Lovato's issues?
November 2nd, 2010

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Is fame to blame for Demi Lovato's issues?

Hey, it’s A.J. Hammer here, and I am totally stunned by the news today that 18-year-old Demi Lovato, who stars on the Disney show “Sonny with a Chance,” is seeking treatment for emotional issues.

Demi, who's been a star since the age of 7, had been touring with the Jonas Brothers when she decided to leave and seek treatment. The young star seemed to have everything together, but was it all too much? What do you think - is fame to blame? Let us know in the comments!

Here are more big stories I’m fired up about today…

Robert Downey Jr. is speaking out in an explosive interview today about his friendship with Mel Gibson, and Charlie Sheen is filing for divorce! Exactly one week after his reportedly alcohol-induced hotel rampage in New York with his ex-wife Denise Richards in the next room, Charlie’s heading to divorce court again. I don’t even know where to begin with this one!

And, there’s a brand new college course I know I'd ace if I was back in school: A major university is offering a class all about Lady Gaga!

See you on "Showbiz Tonight" at 5 p.m. ET and again at 11 p.m. ET/PT on HLN today!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. kale

They speak of my drinking but never my thirst.

November 3, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Maggie

In my case I turned to alcohol & drugs because my emotional issues were not dealt with - in her case I know it is not substance abusive issues she is dealing with & I am glad she is getting the treatment she needs instead of turning to drugs to dull the feelings - I think "HI" who posted missed my point.

November 3, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Houston

How can fame be to blame when I have no idea who she is? If I don't know who you are, you are not famous. Period.

November 3, 2010 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

Yes... because I'm sure when people want to know who is who they look on CNN blogs for Houston's interjection of knowledge. You are an idiot and will be treated as such. Stop being so generous to yourself. If you don't know who Demi Lovato is you must be 35+... aren't you getting a little old to be posting like a d-bag online dude?

November 3, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Nick

I don't know who she is either. I guess that means I'm not a teeny bopper.

November 4, 2010 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Avon Barksdale

Never heard of her. Is she supposed to be famous?

November 2, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hi

Many people are claiming drugs did this. Personally I believe this was caused by the stress she had as a child along with the stress of being famous. I read in a few other stories that because "rehab" was mentioned, people assume drugs are involved. About a year ago I checked into a medical center to get better. Drugs was not the case. I never did drugs and never will but because I went somewhere to get help, you could assume it was rehab. I hope Demi gets the help she needs and gets back to doing what she loves. She is an amazing person and has an amazing voice.

November 2, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. not me

Another Disney Girls Gone Wild case. I am hoping she gets the help she needs and avoids problems in the future. It must be tough to pubklicly admit you have a problem. Disney always meant innocence to me- shame this type of thing happens.

November 2, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Maggie

Hope she gets the help she needs. I had emotional issues when I was 17 & started to drink & do drugs with new found friends - I am now 48 & sober 5 years - it took alot of AA & NA & out patient treatments for many years.

November 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |