GLAAD: 'Jersey Shore' reunion shows 'examples of transphobia'
November 2nd, 2010

GLAAD: 'Jersey Shore' reunion shows 'examples of transphobia'

Fox's hit "Glee" isn't the only show the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) has faulted for employing a word used to refer to the transgender community that some people find offensive.

On October 26, during the show's "Rocky Horror" episode, “tra**y” was used as “an easy punch line," according to GLAAD. Then, days later, the alliance said the "Jersey Shore" reunion special took an offensive turn, as well.

While revisiting some of the season’s most memorable moments, the special - which first aired on October 28 - flashed back to an instance at a Miami nightclub. Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino was flirting with a blonde club-goer who his cast mates later referred to as a “tra**y.”

“If you have to think about it, it is a tra**y - stay away,” the cast members said.

Despite the fact that MTV is the first network to earn an “excellent” rating from GLAAD, the alliance wrote: “MTV’s hit reality show ‘Jersey Shore’ featured one of the most blatant examples of transphobia seen on television during its Reunion Special.”

MTV addressed the issue in a statement: “We appreciate GLAAD voicing concern about the ‘Jersey Shore’ reunion special. The segment in question was certainly not meant to be insensitive, but in retrospect we realize that it was offensive to some viewers. We sincerely apologize.”

GLAAD also reported that “the offensive material will be omitted from the updated version” of the special.

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • Jersey Shore • television

1. Cdjones

omg I'lll sure be glad when all this scrutiny is over. People are just being overly sensitive now a days.

November 5, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. laughriotgirl

I think men who would freak out if they found out the woman they were hitting on turned out to be trans should be obligated to disclose this nasty fact before some poor unsuspecting trans women finds herself in a potentially violent situation.

November 4, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

What do you mean by freak out? Be upset and walk away or do something violent?
      I'm not attracted to trans individuals, but I wouldn't get violent over it. I would be upset at being deceived.
      You're learning a detail that you were unaware of that may be a dealbreaker. If I was dating someone who told me they were trans, I would end it, but I wouldn't go crazy.

November 10, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nick

I don't watch the show and what I've seen of these guys on TV really makes me wonder about our tastes as a society. That being said, where I am from, I do not know any straight guy who would be cool with an unknown tr*nsvesdite rubbing up on him. Just b/c the guy didn't want a tr*nny rubbing up on him doesn't make him tr*nsphobic, it makes him straight. People are so quick to shout h*mophobic or tr*naphobic, but the truth is if you are straight you aren't interested in the same $ex that way and there is nothing wrong with admitting that or making it known.

November 4, 2010 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Nick

BTW I had to put $ and * in my words to get past comment moderation.

November 4, 2010 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Randa

GLAAD needs to calm down. He never said he was "Tranny" phobic, but when some one comes at you and hits on you and never once makes you aware of who they are or what they are about. That is WRONG. HE/SHE needed to make Sitch aware of his/her Situation.

November 3, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. The Fish

I find Martha Stewart more interesting than this....And I don't even watch her show!

November 3, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. pambritt5

The problem is, everything on the Jersey Shore is offensive. These jerks are abusive towards women, gays ect... They uneducated morons!

November 3, 2010 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Talar

I have lost respect for MTV. Censorship is worse than airing something offensive to some. Isn't everything offensive to a segment of the population?

November 3, 2010 at 4:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Michael Anton Lylyk

GLAAD always seemed a little too knee-jerk sensitive to me.

November 2, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. AngryWad

How long before the Word Police get Tasers and .45s?

November 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Avon Barksdale

Never thought I'd live to see the day when straight guys are getting "bullied" by GLAAD. Where's Joe Pesci and Bobby De Niro when you need em?

November 2, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. B=Dog

GLAAD is wrong. If you are at a club and a Tranny comes up and makes s*xual contact (from a touch, to a kiss, or more) then you can use "Tranny alert!" with no problem.

November 2, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kiki

The Jersey Shore cast has no room to poke fun at anyone. Especially the way they behave on and off the camera

November 2, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3yTXFkyiY&w=640&h=390]

November 2, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Norman

well, the transphobia was justified in this instance-if youre a tranny and you come on to a straight guy with a camera in your face...you get what you deserve...most straight guys dont want a tranny aftert hem-stay away or say you are a man when you introduce yourself-pretty simple

November 2, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Superhiro

Someone should call a Waaaaaaaahmbulance for GLAAD

November 2, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. BB

Why is tranny censored in the article? It's not a swear word!!

November 2, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. silenceisgolden

A message to the people at Glaad...shhh

November 2, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  18. MattK

I am gay and I am sick of this crap. GLAAD, it is a word... Build a bridge and get over it. It has always been used and for you to now garner publicity over it's usage just because of the recent GLBT suicides is disrespectful to all of us. Where were you years ago when it was first introduced?

November 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jay the Athiest

Lmao @ Dr. Laura...I think you may have finally given them something actually worth complaining about. Although I gotta tell ya...hell isnt real, its just another religious fairytale

November 2, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jay the Athiest

Its getting to be a lot like the boy who cried wolf...one day they will have a legitimate reason to be upset but nobody will give a S because they whine about everything. I didnt even read the article cuz once I see GLAAD, thats all the info I need to form an opinion

November 2, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |