Singer Lily Allen suffers miscarriage
November 1st, 2010

Singer Lily Allen suffers miscarriage

Sad news has arrived about British songstress Lily Allen. The 25-year-old singer has miscarried, CNN has confirmed.

"It is with great sadness that we have to confirm that Lily Allen and Sam Cooper have lost their baby,” Allen’s rep said in a statement.

According to Yahoo News UK, the artist was six months pregnant when she was rushed to the hospital last Thursday upon experiencing stomach pains. Allen suffered a similar loss in 2008.

“The couple ask that their privacy be respected and that they be left alone at this deeply distressing time,” the statement continued. “No further comment will be made."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. carpetas personalizadas

Hi there, just become alert to your weblog through Google, and located that it's truly informative. I'm going to watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate in case you continue this in future. Lots of other people might be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

September 13, 2012 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Eddie King

Say, Eddie King likes " Lily Allen suffers miscarriage"..............

November 5, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Laurie

My placenta detached at 29 weeks gestation - had to deliver a stillborn boy.He would've been 13 this past Sept. A loss is a loss no matter when it happens - Blessings to Lily - be hopeful for the future.

November 2, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. renee

November 2, 2010 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. kelly

may God bless lilly allen and her family for their loss

November 2, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. D

I hope that lilly allen will be able to pull through this tragedy and I hope that the next pregnancy will be successful

November 2, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. B=Dog

A) This is very sad and I wish her the best, and although it's hard she has to look at this as her body telling her that something was wrong with the baby and in a few months they can try again.

B) CNN is correct. A miscarriage or Spontaneous abortion can be all the way up to 24 weeks.

November 1, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • stp19

B=Dog – Not to argue semantics, but you are incorrect. In the US, stillbirth is 20+ weeks. Perhaps it is different in other countries. I have a death certificate for my daughter, who was stillborn. My body could not carry her to term, because I had an issue with MY body. There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with my child. I had surgery to correct that issue, and successfully carried two babies to term since then. Your comment is insensitive and ignorant. Multiple problems can occur in pregnancy that having nothing to do with the health of the baby. There can be cord accidents, placenta accidents, etc. Please, think about what you write before you post it. Thanks.

November 2, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jen

i too lost a baby at 22 weeks - i had to go thru labor and give birth - that was 16 years ago this december. i'm sorry for ms. allen's loss.

November 1, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. grofys

i lost my first as well. my mother lost 2. it is not so uncommon, but sad nevertheless. also, the article stated she had "stomach pains". maybe an anatomy lesson is needed for this author, but the discomfort would have been better described as "abdominal pain".

November 1, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joeythegirl

I'm so sorry to hear Lily and her husband's child died. There are no words to console parents in this situation. I am also a bereaved parent. It took us 8 years to get pregnant with our son Jack, it was a perfect yet still high risk pregnancy, no morning sickness. He was perfectly healthy when my body failed him due to incompetent cervix and I went into premature labor at approximately 19.5 weeks. I went through labor and delivered my beautiful boy August 31, 2006. He LIVED STRONG for FOUR hours! Because I wasn't 24 weeks along, policy is for the hospital to do nothing. He kicked, he held my finger and he smiled. Jack died in my arms September 1, 2006. Terms are important, however, not always perfectly accurate. Jack wasn't quite 20 weeks so under Your definition he would have been a Miscarriage? However My Son Jack was Born, He Lived, Breathed, Heart Beat Strong and he Died. My Son Jack, was Premature and he Died. It wasn't a miscarriage.
    Don't get me wrong, I support your fight for CNN to change the inaccurate term to either Stillbirth or infant death. But as you fight for correct terminology, remember the numbers aren't exact or black and white. There are loop holes like my son Jack. Not many premature babies at 19.5 weeks live longer then a few seconds outside of the womb, but there are some like my Amazing son Jack.
    Missing and Thinking of all our angels in the stars!
    And for those of you who may need support, I find mine at http://www.MISSFOUNDATION.org

November 1, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Delynn

As a mother of both a miscarriage and a stillborn I do agree that the proper terminology should be used especially by any news media. However, fighting about it in the comment section will do us any good. Whether CNN sees these comments and corrects itself is up to them. Now if we can educate someone while not arguing the issue that is one thing, but we could argue it till we're blue in the face. As a co-founder of an non profit organization for families after the loss of a child, I feel it is my responsibility to speak up and implore CNN to correct itself.

Ms. Allen my heart breaks for you. No parent should ever have to bury their child. Please know you are not alone in any of this. There are millions of women Worldwide that have endured what you are going through. I hope when you are ready you will reach out to some of the various support groups to find comfort and someone to talk to who can understand what you are feeling. http://www.facebook.com/OfficialHealingAfterInfantLoss is the link to our group.
    Angel hugs...

November 1, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kristi

My heart goes out to Lily Allen and her husband, I am deeply sorry. A stillbirth is a devastating experience.

November 1, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. stp19

My deepest condolences go out to her and her family. Yes, it is true, for people who have suffered a stillbirth, the correct terminology is very important for us to be used, simply because we are seaking validation and acknowledment. However, as a person who has suffered a stillbirth, and who has met women who have suffered losses at all gestations, it doesn't matter when the loss occurred. It is devestating no matter what, because it is the loss of their child and the loss of all their hopes and dreams. The term should be corrected. I am so deeply sorry for her and her family.

November 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Christine

Okay...I have just about heard enough. I just want to say that a LOSS is a LOSS. ONLY us who have been through it know how and when to term a m/c or a stillbirth. Society is not getting our voices heard to be educated enough on this issue. TABOO still engulfs our breaking hearts and our losses. There will be people who say stupid things at the time of your loss and in years to come. We have to speak out, and educate before we can have what we feel as "credible" facts and treatment. I lost @38 weeks...she was STILLborn...I labored and delivered my quietly born daughter and just had a m/c at 10 weeks. She had something wrong with her heart..still I saw the heartbeat on the screen and knew she was there at 9 weeks...but silent on the screen the next week. To ME it is a loss! no matter how far...I have endured the whole spectrum...the weeks will go by next time and I WILL BE SCARED..cause I can pass 10 weeks but then know that at anytime even before 38 wks...something could happen. So IT IS A LOSS...PERIOD. Yes the terminology may be an issue...but our real issue is that we who have endured these losses, and they continue a lot, must speak out and share our stories...if we don't speak up...we won't be heard and these type of news atricles will be wrong everytime. GOD BLESS

November 1, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sarah

i apoligize it posted before i was finshed,,to be clear when you bury a child it is that a child.not a misscarriage .it is a life that matters...ireally pray and hope they get the privacy they so truly deserve and are able to mourn the loss of there child without the media reporting incorrectly.it only makes the hurt worse.all the best

November 1, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. sarah

i really feel for this family. i had a misscarriage at 8 wks and a premature baby at 22wks yes i said premature because she was breathing when she was born. Terminolgoy does matter... Law states where i live that any child born after 20wks is requires burial.. Like i said i really feel for them and wish them all the best and really pray that they dont give up hope to have there family...

November 1, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jayden's Mom

My heart goes out to her 7 her family in the loss of their baby. As a mother who buried my son it is a pain I wish on no one. Stillbirth/miscarriage is very different and the correct term needs to be stated, I hope CNN will correct this information. Lily went through labor and delivered her child, as I delivered my son at 38weeks with no sign of trouble, we found out 2 hours prior to delivery he was no longer with us. Thoughts with the family for peace, privacy and strength in time.

November 1, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Isla'sMommy

Absolutley heart breaking news. I too have suffered a miscarriage and a stillbirth at 25 weeks. Both losses were very distressing, but my miscarriage in no way compared to the death of my daughter. Like Valentinainthesky I too am very disspointed that CNN of all sources would refer to this loss as a "miscarriage". In North America a stillbirth is any loss after 20 weeks gestation. While in the UK the term "stillbirth" only applies to losses after 24 weeks, Bes you are incorrect whether you are speaking in UK or North American terms. Lily was 6 months pregnant and due in January so at least 24 weeks pregnant and her son was stillborn. I trust CNN will issue a retraction and correct this abhorrent error.

November 1, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • headexplodingstupidity

They haven't been clear whether her son was stillborn, or died after preterm labor. Either way classifying it as miscarriage is a great injustice to Ms. Allan. I get irate when people classify the death of my daughter as such, I can only imagine reading it in the media. My head would explode. CNN I am appalled with you!

November 1, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  19. headexplodingstupidity

Pam a parent that loses a baby at 6 months pregnancy or less is given very little to acknowledge the existence of the child. Please don't diminish Lily's loss or anyone elses by misunderstanding the terms.

November 1, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  20. bes

Sorry, she suffered a miscarriage not a stillbirth, however, this must be a very difficult time for both of them. Whatever you call it, but the truth of the matter is that is is a miscarriage, eventhough the 20 week point is a possibly viable it is the 24 week period that allows for this distinction. Cnn is correct on this. I have been in the medical field 23 years as a Medical Social worker and CNN is correct. For whatever it's worth, it is a loss and must be mourned, I think we can all agree on that, Yes?

November 1, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

Either way, 6 months is past both the 20-week and 24-week mark. For those of us that have been through this, the correct terminology DOES matter.

November 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • valentinainthesky

Bes, viability has nothing to do with if it is a stillbirth or a miscarriage. 20 weeks in the US is a stillbirth, 24 weeks in the UK is a stillbirth. Either way, 6 months = stillbirth if the baby was not born alive. I'm sorry, you are wrong, and I am even sorrier that you are giving out incorrect information as a "professional in the medical field."

November 1, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • headexplodingstupidity

Bes, first off I call shenanigans on your "credentials" based on your utter misinformation that you claim to be giving out to parents who have experienced such a loss. SHENANIGANS. Shut yo' mouth.

November 1, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Kristi

My greatest condolences are with Lily's family! I have too had a stillborn a year ago:( The hardest thing ever to bury your own child. Like everyone else has said..please give this family the privacy and time that they need to grieve.

November 1, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Shauna

I am disappointed that CNN is reporting this as a miscarriage. While a miscarriage is also a very painful loss, this pregnancy was beyond the 20 week point at which it should be termed a stillbirth. Please visit the Star Legacy Foundation for Stillbirth Researc & Education (www.starlegacyfoundation.org) to learn more and to help get the word out that 30,000 babies a year are stillborn in the United States alone (4.5 million world wide). Most of these are needless tragedies.

November 1, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. mom2angels

To MadCityBabe: she was far along enough along for the world to know she was pregnant! It would have been addressed if she made it public or not. I have m/c at 9 weeks (blood and tissue). and had still born twin girls (fully formed babies) at 21 weeks. There is a big difference and the loss of her baby boy should be respected.

November 1, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. MadCityBabe

if they wanted privacy, it wouldn't have been mentioned in the first place.

November 1, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

Um, she kind of has to tell people that she will not be having a baby in January, as she had told the world would be happening. Wow.

November 1, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brittanie

I agree with Kristin. My baby died 2 weeks before her due date and one of the hardest parts was people asking "oh, how's your baby?" when I went back to work. I wanted everyone to just KNOW. So letting everyone know is necessary, because it hurts more to explain it later when well-meaning people don't know and ask well-meaning questions.

November 1, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

I agree with Brittane. After my dnc I recieved a congratualtions card in the mail from a woman I went to church with. It was horrible. I cried for an hour. I assumed everyone knew I had lost the baby. I don't blame them for going public.

November 4, 2010 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  25. Kristin

So sorry, Lily. I'm 25 yrs old too, and lost my daughter at 6 months pregnant in May. It's so hard. I've since started a support organization/site: http://www.facesofloss.com. I hope when you're ready, you will check it out and connect with others who 'get it.' Love and peace. <3

November 1, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  26. issa

POOR LILY, MUST BE DEVASTATED WISH HER WELL.

November 1, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Pam

Heartbreaking. Who cares miscarriage/still birth it is devistating news don't bicker over something as simple has a term.

November 1, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • valentinainthesky

Pam, believe me, I know firsthand how devastating it is, having buried my own daughter. I'm not "bickering," I am informing. Its called raising awareness.

November 1, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

It's not bickering, but for those of us who have had stillbirths, we're sensitive to the terminology. Miscarriages are horrible, awful, devestating. But there is something different about being far enough along to know the gender, have to go through labor and delivery, etc, etc, etc. It just shows that people are still very uninformed/uneducated about this all-too-common thing.

November 1, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

It's not bickering, merely educating. As has been said, for those of us who have endured the experience, it is important that the proper terminology is used.

November 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Yes Pam it is heartbreaking. I couldn't agree more. I have suffered both a miscarriage AND a Stillbirth...trust me....There IS a difference and the terminology DOES matter.

November 1, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • TLC

You've clearly never suffered through either or you would know why it's important.

November 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anastasia

It is not just a simple term. There is a huge difference in a misscarriage and a stillbirth. I suffered the stillbirth of my daughter Izabella at 20 weeks. A misscarriag is painful as well but it is a different kind of pain. I had to deliver my daughter after she had died. I am not trying to diminish the pain of misscarriage but it is imortant to term things correctly.

November 2, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

I have suffered 3 miscarriages. Though that pain was tremendous, I still couldn't imagine carrying a baby full term to lose it. I can understand why some would be sensitive to the termanology. That being said, I think the loss of a baby whether unborn or not is one of the most horrible things anyone can go through. I was sure after my first loss, things were going to be ok then came loss number 2. With loss number 3, which was only 3 months ago, I was beside myself. It was the furtherest I had ever been along and a test after the dnc proved it was a boy. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a far more jaded individual b/c of it all. May the Lord bless Lilly and all those who have gone or who are going through something so terrible. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

November 4, 2010 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  28. valentinainthesky

CNN, I expected at least YOU to understand that a 6 month pregnancy loss is a stillbirth! Not a miscarriage! :( My heart goes out to Lily, as someone who has buried a baby. Please realize that six months means that Lily still had to go through labor and deliver her child.

November 1, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ginger Biscuits

I agree here.
      The news company needs to correct the horrible clerical error they have committed on this article.
      The preterm birth of a baby is labeled premature birth or still birth NOT a miscarriage.

November 1, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Becky

CNN, please post a correction to this article, stating that Lily Allen suffered a stillbirth or neonatal loss, NOT a miscarriage. The classification of "miscarriage" only covers losses up to 20 weeks of pregnancy. For those of us who have suffered a late loss, there is a BIG difference. Please correct this out of respect for Ms. Allen and her child, who deserves to be recognized appropriately.

November 1, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • headexploding

Valentina; such a good point. We don't need the media perpetuating such misinformed nonsense!

November 1, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Kiki

My Mom had 2 misscarriages and went on to have 3 healty children. I wish all the best to Lily Allen and her husband.

November 1, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • headexplodingstupidty

Kiki, that's a really nice sentiment. However 6+ months is not a miscarriage. If her son died before birth that is a stillbirth. Please remember the distinction as it is demeaning to refer to a stillbirth as a miscarriage :)

November 1, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • kiki

@ headexplodingstupidty I think either situation is devastating whether it's a stillbirth or miscarriage. I wasn't trying to demean either experience. It took my Mom 8 years to have her children and 2 different doctors said she would never be able to conceive ...I pray that Lilly Allen will have a healthy baby someday. :)

November 1, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Melissa M.

My deepest condolences to both of them. I can't even fathom the devastation they must be feeling right now.

November 1, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Bobby G.

Oh this is so sad to hear. I hope they endure this tragedy together. Please give them privacy to do so.

November 1, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Doucet

I know what she is going through i wish her & her family the best & please give her all the time & privacy she needs & want.

November 1, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  33. Jessica

That's absolutely heartbreaking. Especially when she was so far along; you really think you're out of the woods at that point. My condolences to the family.

November 1, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • valentinainthesky

Jessica, I wish that was the case, but I lost my baby one week before my due date- her heart just stopped beating, for no reason. I have dozens of new friends that had the same experience. 60-70% of stillbirths have no cause and 60-70% of stillbirths occur FULL TERM. :(

November 1, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clare

I lost a baby at 29 weeks and yes I was floored as I thought I was on the 'home straight'.

Where I am from the legal definition of a stillbirth is over 400grams and or 20 weeks. Degrading for her to have it mistermed, I have had four m/cs and a stillbirth and there is big difference. Nothing could have prepared me to give birth to a dead child.

To the poster who said 'it was her body's way of telling her something was wrong with the child' maybe, maybe not many stillbirths are otherwise perfect babies.

And then you said she can have another one, babies aren't sweaters, you can't replace them.Anyway how do you know she can have another. Are you God?

November 2, 2010 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
  34. Pathetic

I guess you can never really go through any of these articles without finding one insensitive comment.

My condolences go out to Lilly Allen. I may not be a fan of her music, but all I can say is if that happened to my wife that would probably be pretty upsetting as well.

November 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  35. trix are for kids

Skipping Algebra to talk trash on CNN?

November 1, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |