ABC Family developing 'Practical Magic' series
November 1st, 2010

ABC Family developing 'Practical Magic' series

Good news for those still enchanted by the 1998 Sandra Bullock/Nicole Kidman film "Practical Magic" - ABC Family is planning to turn the bewitching comedy into a weekly series, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The fantasy film, based on a novel by Alice Hoffman, tells the story of Owens sisters Sally (Bullock) and Gillian (Kidman), cursed young witches who come to discover that any man they find true love with is doomed to an untimely and tragic death.

CBS attempted to turn "Practical Magic" into a TV series in 2003, but it never materialized. Since the ABC Family reboot is still in development, there are no stars currently attached to the project.

Who would you like to see in the series? Let us know in a comment below.

Post by:
Filed under: movies • television

1. Anthony

I have a copy of the pilot episode filmed for the original tv series that never made it, I would deffinatly watch this but we all know ABC Family will focus on Sally's girls probably... I hope they cast it well though I love the aunts!

December 17, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Anyanka Jean

This show could be an excellent tool for introducing people to the reality of Wicca and witchcraft if used properly. I hope the producers find a good adviser for the show.

March 20, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lorelei

I would LOVE to see this if it's done well with beautiful scenery/atmosphere and great acting like the movie. It would also be great it they kept the Wiccan vibe and didn't go crazy with unrealistic magical powers like Charmed and other witchy shows have. Sandra and Nicole were so great that it's really hard to imagine anyone else in their roles. Rachel Bilson is sticking in my mind for some reason, though, and maybe Rachelle Lefevre for the redhead.

November 14, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. wing-rider

I loved this film!! Have watched it many, many times with my daughter (who also has this as one her all-time favorites). While I would love to see this as an ABC series – not sure the writers are capable of keeping it going with the same level of perfection on a weekly basis. The cast was great! The scenery was beautiful... I guess I would have to say – leave well enough alone.

November 6, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bellamy

I'm so obsessed with this movie! Kristin Kreuk would be good for Sally, but I think it would be kind of cool to have Camilla Belle play Sally because she played Sally as a little girl in the movie:) Shanae Grimes or Bonnie Wright could play one of the red heads. Anyway the producers should try really hard not to make another Charmed since some people found it offensive, or Eastwick, or Sabrina the Teenage Witch. It could be great if they did it right though!

November 3, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dreamwishbelieve101

I don't think they could pull off a TV series. I agree with all of you who said it would never replace the movie. If they HAD to do a TV series I think Sandra and Nicole should still do it. I doubt it would be very successful though. When it comes to movies, it's never better than the first one.

November 2, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. rjo576

I loved the movie, but I hate tv spin-offs that don't have any of the same characters (or have a few of them, and then new people play the old characters, but not as well, i.e., Clueless). I think maybe abcFamily should think about using Practical Magic as inspiration for a different show and use a little more creativity than piggy-backing off of an old movie just so they don't have to come up with something original. It almost seems to cheapen the original film.

November 2, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. camz1122

I'd still want to see Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock for this Project.

November 2, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lovelytatas

The movie was fn great! I can't wait to see it! But I wonder if wiccans would be offended....

November 2, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. nina

I want KRISTIN KREUK for Sandra Bullock's character!

November 2, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. Julie

I agree with Erin.
    I liked Eastwick, but we never saw the end of it.
    If they do it with teens, it's Charmed in the making once again.
    Just leave it be as a movie. It was great like that.

November 2, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. Erin

I would be cautious about getting to optimistic about any show on ABC Family, because as soon as you get interested, they will cancel it abruptly and leave you hanging!!!!

November 2, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. SKY

YOU INVITE DEMONS IN YOUR HOME WHEN YOU WATCH MOVIE LIKE THIS
    NO LIE......

November 2, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. dd

I would love to see this when it becomes a show. I think Nathaniel Unruh Holton would be great for this show.

November 2, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rachel

i LIKE TO SEE AGAIN SANDRA BULLOCK, NICOLE KIDMAN, RYAN REYNOLDS AND KEANU REEVES

November 2, 2010 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  16. Lynzi

I agree with JoJo. It would be fun to see where Sally's daughters grow up to look/act like. Maybe ABC could get the writer of the book and come up with some ideas about the sisters?? I would watch it!

November 2, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  17. Emily

This is one of my favorite movies of all time! I'm kind of hesitant to see if they could make it into a weekly series and ABC has a habit of cancling series too soon but I'll definatly watch and i'm excited to see what will happen.

November 1, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JoJo

i loved this movie because both sandra bullock and nicole kidman had a charming way of making portraing a fraternal bond stronger than anything at the same time it's showing the flaws of both sisters without braking that bond, it was really sweet, if they can find actresses that will embrace this characters and make an audience tune in every week like like "gilmore girls" did then you'll have a hit.

November 1, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  19. chiheatherlove

I'm already dreaming up plotlines for this show... it would be about Sandra's daughters as teens of course... not about Sandra and Nicole per se. Yes, they did do this before... it was called Charmed. Would love to hear what Alice Hoffman thinks about it.

November 1, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Denizen Kate

I liked the movie, but a TV series? We have TV series based on movies, and movies based on TV series . . . recycling is not always a good thing. How about an original idea now and then?

November 1, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Heather

I would watch. Love the movie, hope they can by it right!

November 1, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. AG

They already did this with "EASTWICK" and we saw how good that turned out.

November 1, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. SC

I think it was a great movie, but I don't see how they could materialize an entire season's worth of story lines... and it would never compare to the movie or the way Bullock and Kidman portrayed theie characters. I don't think they should do it- I think it'll bomb!

November 1, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jorja

I totally agree with @SC. I loved this movie, but it's not enough of a story to sustain a weekly series, not to mention they can never recapture the chemistry of Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Aidan Quinn, Stockard Channing and Dianne Wiest. Please, ABC Family, leave this one alone!

November 2, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  24. cheefsfury

lol, ok your off the hook cuz that made me laugh

November 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. cheefsfury

ID LIKE TO SEE JUSTIN BEIBER STAR IN IT CUZ I GOT THE BEIBER FEVER BRO

November 1, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

OK BRO THATS ONE TO FAR CUZ I DONT LIKE BEIBER CUZ HIS HAIRCUT IS DISRESPECTFUL TO LESBIANS

November 1, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jay the Athiest

Id like to see Adam Carolla star in something, anything at all...come on Hollywood, give the guy a chance, He'll make you nothing but money

November 1, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jessica

I loved this movie! I'd watch the show!

November 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |