'Tron' sneak peek a visual thrill
October 29th, 2010

'Tron' sneak peek a visual thrill

[SPOILER WARNING: Don't read any further if you want no knowledge of the plot to "Tron: Legacy."]

If the official "Tron: Legacy" poster, reminiscent of the original, wasn't enough to get fans excited, Disney gave a sneak peek of the film in select theaters worldwide on Thursday night. The 23 minutes of scenes from the first half of the film were a feast for the eyes, especially when seen in IMAX 3D.

At the screening, fans saw enough to follow the story of Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund), the son of "Tron's" hero Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges), who is accidentally placed "on the grid" within a video game, where his father has been for 20 years. (For those not familiar with the original "Tron," it seems like the script does a good job of bringing you up to speed.)

It turns out that Kevin has been living in a safehouse for all those years, and he doesn't seem "all there" at this point.

We also got some insight into Olivia Wilde's character Quorra, who is referred to as an "apprentice" by Kevin.

There were only brief glimpses of Michael Sheen's character Castor, and Clu, who is made via digital effects to look like a younger Jeff Bridges. The effect is a little creepy, I have to admit.

Certain scenes, including Sam taking part in a game with his "identity disc," were shot in full IMAX, and the effect was stunning. If nothing else, the movie will look incredible, and will certainly be up for several technical Oscar nominations.

Are you looking forward to "Tron: Legacy"? Did you go to last night's screening? If so, let us know what you thought on iReport or in the comments below.

1. Herr_Howard

For those grousing about CGI and who used it first, I don't think the original 'TRON' was the first but it was the first to use it as a major part of the motion picture. If I remember right, something like 80% of the movie used some sort of CGI compositing (including the 'Easter Eggs' of Pac-Man and Mickey Mouse) and that size and scope of CGI had never been attempted before. Overlooked in all of that is the fact that when in the computer world, all of the footage was filmed in black and white. The Disney animators had to go back and hand paint each cell where 'light' was supposed to be, either blue or orange, on each actor. Between that and the CG, TRON was a very expensive outing for Disney. No, it wasn't a blockbuster in the theaters but it was a game changer. My hope for TRON:Legacy is that the visuals (got goosebumps the first time the new-fangled Recognizer showed up on screen) will meet with a true story (massaged by the story gurus at PIXAR during summer re-shoots) and will be worth the wait. Aside from Toy Story 3, this is the only movie I'm looking forward to in theaters this year.

November 1, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mello Tron

Dang, I was hoping this was going to be a mellotron convention

November 1, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. Movie

I hope the rest of the movie is better than this lousy clip. That was horrible!

November 1, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. weezy1

"The Last Starfighter" came out in 1984!

November 1, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. ron

The inside of my pc is not nearly as mountainous or dusty.

November 1, 2010 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Carlos from Brazil

I´m a big fan since 1985 when I first saw Tron from 1982 , I´m looking forward to see Tron Legacy. and I also a big fan of Olivia Wilde, she is hot !!

November 1, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. phillipcrras

This movie makes me want to shoot my ak-47 into the air!

October 31, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lohocla

Dunno....some reason I'm reminded of the live action version of Speed Racer. Maybe it's just me but for the system to generate a "dust trail" yet cannot (or wont?) program its hunters to go "off grid" seems pretty stupid to me.

October 31, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kzoframe39

Meh.

October 31, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gunner

I think that this movie will be great in imax 3d since it just looks so cool in the previews.

October 31, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. djcorbijn

The bad guy is Clu? As in the same one from the original? Woah. I loved (still do) the original when I watched it as a kid. This looks fantastic. Glad it was made. Plus, if you don'e like or know who Daft Punk is well, you are a Daft Punk.

October 31, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gunner

hey is the original good? Plus should i see the Original before i see the new one?

October 31, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

Just for the sake of it, I'll assume you are asking a legitimate question and not trying to be funny. Seeing the original is an absolute MUST to understand any thing about the new one. I'd loan you my VHS copy, but you probably don't have anything to play it with :)

November 1, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kite005

The original Tron was an awesome movie for the time. A lot like Max Headroom, well not like it but cutting edge in the same way for the time. I can't wait to see the new Tron and it will be on the big screen for me.

October 31, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. JC

Daft Punk!? Who is that? i have seriously never heard of them. Bring back Journey for a real Tron soundtrack!

October 31, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. Chuck

Since when did Daft Punk get such fan-boiz posting on CNN? I prefer Chemical Brothers, but that's not why I am posting.

I am sincerely worried about this film's director. It's the same guy as the original Tron, and he didn't do much before or since. He's not an "actors" director, so that just leaves visuals. But here's another problem...Pixar was brought in after Tron 2 was "finished" and asked to "tweak" some things. That means there were...problems...with the movie that was turned in.

Don't get me wrong; I LOVED the original Tron when I was younger. It's still pretty watchable today. The idea of an update excites me even more. But I only wish they (studios) had insisted on a different director.

My top 3 choices for this were: Zach Snyder, Ridley Scott (have you SEEN Blade Runner?), and Bryan Singer.

Since my opinion obviously doesn't matter, they're not going with my suggestions ;)

does anyone else have an opinion on the directors here?

October 31, 2010 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Kate

@Chuck

Ridley Scott ... now you're talking!

Got to disagree with you about the soundtrack though – although the daft punk fanbois are maybe just daft, it should have been Nightwish.

Just sayin'

October 31, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Adam

It's not the same director. The original was directed by Steven Lisberger. Tron Legacy is directed by Joseph Kosinski. Steven Lisberger helped write the story for Legacy and consulted on characters and the world, but did not direct.

October 31, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • djcorbijn

Your opinion? So what? Why not just be glad they made of sequel to this movie of all movies? Who hasn't seen Blade Runner, ever read the book, know who it's by? While a classic, it's 30+ years old and stands on it's own. To make a Tron2 with a "Blade Runner" flavor would discredit both films. If you need to interject yourself as though your opinion with film is mandatory, at least know something about film. Just be happy Michael Bay didn't make it.

October 31, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • bitearock

@djcorbijn:
      Your opinion? So what?
      Who made djcorbijn the ultimate arbiter of acceptable opinion? Was it djcorbijn? I believe it was.

October 31, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. WhiteKong78

How much for an HJ BJ?

October 31, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  16. BOT

END OF YO ASS.....

October 30, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. weezy1

The original Tron was the first movie to use computer generated special effects....and it was TOTALLY under appreciated.
    In fact, I believe it bombed at the box office in the summer of '82. It did, however find new life on DVD and achieved something of an underground cult hit. I LOVED the original and can not wait to see this next one.

Oh, by the way , in the original movie, Flynn de-activated the MCP program and turned it back into a chess game. His human counterpart, Ed, was charged with stealing Flynn's idea for "Space Paranoids" and should probably be coming up for parole shortly!

END OF LINE.........................................

October 30, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian M

well, took on new life on VHS anyway. DVD wasn't around until 15 years after this came out, and it had already become a cult hit long before then.

October 31, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
    • againstthegrain

While TRON wasn't a huge hit it doubled its budget at the box office. Definitely not a bomb but rather a mild success in its day. And considering the success of the game and products in the wake of the movie, in the long run it has been more than a mild success. It's in my top 5 favorite sci-fis. I hope Legacy is as good as the trailers suggest it will be!!!

October 31, 2010 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
    • djcorbijn

Tron wasn't the first film to use CGI; nor the second, third, etc....

October 31, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • PenguinnMan

First movie to use CGI was Young Sherlock Holmes, when the stained glass window came to life as a knight. It was done by Lucas when he started / owned Piixar. John Lasseter did the CGI

October 31, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paprikash

Um...Young Sherlock Holmes was released 3 years after Tron...it could not have been the first movie to use CGI (maybe the first with a true CGI "character" depending on the technical merits of Bit as a performer in Tron.)

or they made the Sherlock movie using time machines and I stand corrected...

November 1, 2010 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Medardus

Actually, it was "The Last Starfighter."

November 1, 2010 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  18. Craig

Really, another dark movie in blacklight? Surely, the could have made the circut world more modern and visually appealing, it's noyt like the are diverging from reality as this is fantasy to begin with. Hated the first movie for the same reason. If I want cheesy blacklight action I'll go play lasertag.

October 30, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Philip

Loved the first Tron, even if the story played out a bit weak. The Light Cycles were the best part of the movie, in my opinion, but the concept of Jeff Bridges getting analyzed and copied into the computer was also pretty cool, even if the CG wasn't up to par by today's standards. I'm pretty sure the CG in Legacy will deliver, I just worry about the acting, which usually takes a back seat in sci-fi. Love the redesigned light cycles too but still prefer a fully encased model, just looks cooler to me ;)

October 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Pedro of Fresno

Loved the clip.

By far, the most realistic steering wheel use ever in a movie.
    I commonly turn the wheel 90 degrees every second or two while driving straight as well.

October 30, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*Tony

You rock.Great observation on the steering wheel. End of line.....

October 31, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • AskACapper

My thoughts exactly why does hollywood drive sooo stupid? I hate that steering thing they do drive normal hold the wheel geesh

October 31, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • djcorbijn

Ever watched the turning radius of a formula 1 car, one of those off road vehicles that run the Baja? Before you argue about the 90 degree turn; its called a power slide. Also, It's supposed to be simulacrum, fake; a computer generated vehicle in a computer generated world. I'm quite positive it's not supposed to like a Jeep.

October 31, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Beefstuart

Tron isn't coming with a Daft Punk soundtrack. Daft Punk's new album is coming a with a Tron movie.

October 30, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  22. WhiteKong78

Daft Punk is great and Tron 2 should be pretty good as well. I don't want to be a grammar Nazi, but the usage of commas in this article are all wrong. The media criticizes everyone else, yet seem content to ignore basic composition etiquette. ;)

October 30, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • BJ

The usage *are* all wrong? You're ignoring basic composition etiquette...whatever that means.

October 30, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  23. Bit

Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,

October 30, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  24. Dee Rezz

Issues....

October 30, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  25. mattski

who you callin program, program?

October 30, 2010 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  26. harmony

I hated the first TRON. I'm gonna hate the second TRON. And I hate Daft Punk. And I hate message boards and I hate people who post on message boards. I hate myself for posting on this message board. And...I hate onions... I love puppies.

October 30, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  27. Dee Rezz

Original Tron was ahead of its time. I remember going to it when it opened. Deep spiritual undertones as well – lots of Biblical references. Don't hate. Appreciate.

October 30, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  28. Sam

I remember playing this game when I was a kid. I really sucked.

October 29, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  29. dejah_thoris, cambridge, ma

Too bad the film's producers didn't have the guts to bring back the orignal film's composer. No respect for accomplished people; instead they bring in crap for a soundtrack.

October 29, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • redbloodcells

And you are one to call the amazing global sensation, Daft Punk subpar why, and have anyone pay attention to your comment?

October 29, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • STS_Endeavour

There was was buzz about bringing Wendy back to do the music, she was quite excited about the project. But alas – the execs in Hollywood being the vicious always seeking the new and exciting – and Disney is no exception – decided to go with someone else (no doubt 'new and hip'). I was anticipating to hear Wendy too, I would have like to have heard what she had come up with. But don't hate it yet until you've heard it. I'll admit – Daft Punk has some mighty big shoes to fill. Let's hope they were up to the task.

It might be interesting to hear the two together – Wendy Carlos and Daft Punk. I bet they could compose one heckuva piece.

October 30, 2010 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Banchee

Daft Punk has been around for over 20 years, and are no means "new and hip." They are however, quite amazing, and the music I heard them do for the trailer is great. While I liked the first Tron as a movie, it's the soundtrack to the second one that will make me truly want to watch it.

October 31, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  30. David

Saw it in SLC. SWEET!!! Can't wait.

October 29, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Same here... out at The District. Movie looks impressive! There are some seriously epic shots in there. The soundtrack is going to be amazing too. Daft Punk and those amazing orchestral yet still Daft Punkian parts... simply amazing.

Disney is holding the story bits back as much as they can. They aren't letting a lot of them leak out. I think it will be pretty good too.

October 31, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Lazlo57

Bring on the TRON !
    Looking forward to it. Watched the old one again few years ago for kicks. Looked pretty cheezie by today's standards.

October 29, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  32. dwighthuth

I grew up with the original Tron which was a display of cinematic excelence. The new Tron should be awesome.

October 29, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  33. sam

People make fun of the effects now, but when the original Tron came out, nobody had ever seen anything like it. Can you really say the same about this? Visually, it doesn't look all that impressive; sorry.

October 29, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  34. MCP

MCP this movie will be an Inferior product I can produce a movie 2415 time better then any human. ACKNOWLEDGE.

END OF LINE...

October 29, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • ptgf

S.T.F.U!

October 30, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • BOT

MCP: you failed to correctly differentiate "then" from "than" in its usage. Your display of inferior grammatical operation would suggest that you are a candidate for termination.

October 30, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

You mean a candidate for immediate de-resolution. ;)

October 31, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  35. plumbman5000

I saw the original when I was a kid with my father in rehab on tv. Now that hes getting out of rehab again it's only fitting to have a new TRON.

October 29, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Monte

David Warner was "retired" at the end of the first film. I have huge expectations for this film!

October 29, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jdoggy

@MCP - the actor's name is David Warner...did he not die in the first film?

October 29, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  38. MCP

They did not include the MCP or David Warren this movie has a 66.687 chance of sucess.
    END OF LINE....

October 29, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*Tony

David Warner.......End of line

October 30, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • ZuluDeaux

@J [October 29, 2010 at 6:33 pm] – You used the ellipsis at the end of a sentence incorrectly, twice.
      Per Wikipedia (and other sources): "If an ellipsis ends the sentence, then there are three dots, each separated by a space, followed by the final punctuation (in this case, a period)."
      You have a 100% chance of looking pretty ignorant.

October 31, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • What?

Hey Zulu...you are citing Wikipedia...go back to school, that's not a site you should reference if you really have the need to come off like a professor.

November 1, 2010 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  39. Joemama

Awesome!

October 29, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  40. James

It was only a matter of time before they retooled this geek classic. Hopefully with all the new computer generated cinema the storyline won't be washed out. I'll be one of the first in line to see this.

October 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chaosevil

It's not a "retooling" but a continuation. Phh nothing gets past you does it?

October 31, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

Retool, sequel 30 years later. Whatever, effectively the same thing. Same world, brighter colors. Though I am still looking forward to it.

November 1, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  41. Craig

I was at the Riverside screening and I have to say the visuals are indeed stunning, but I'm probably more excited about the Daft Punk soundtrack! When I went to the opening of the original Tron oh, so many years ago, it was truly a break through movie in many ways. Now days, we expect to be impressed by all the 3D computer graphics and I can't say that the new Tron really broke any new ground there. My biggest disappointment was the level of the acting in the scenes they showed. Definetely mediocre, and to say Jeff Bridges didn't seem to be 'all there' is an understatement.

I will definetely be going to see the movie, but it is not a 'must go to the midnight showing' quality film in my opinion. The soundtrack, however, will be in my collection as soon as I can get my hands on it...That music rocked!

October 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Agreed!!! The soundtrack is without a doubt going to put Daft Punk back in the spotlight yet again. It's amazing how these guys disappear then reappear with guns absolutely blazing. Check out the short vid for the track "Derezzed" on YouTube – THAT'S some s@#$ from these guys. The movie alone got me hyped; the soundtrack brings it full circle...

October 29, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Steve

I was at the SF screening with Joe Kosinski in attendance. The footage was amazing and the father/son story line with Garretn Hedlund and Jeff Bridges looks promising. CAN NOT WAIT!

October 29, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Paul

Tron geek holy Grail .... Whooah

October 29, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Tobruk

Its Kevin Flynn, not Keith.

October 29, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |