Tom Cruise reveals title of next 'M.I.' film
October 29th, 2010

Tom Cruise reveals title of next 'M.I.' film

While the plot details of the fourth "Mission: Impossible" movie remain top secret, Tom Cruise has no problem giving up the film's official title.

At a press conference with cast mates Jeremy Renner and Paula Patton at the Doha Film Festival in Dubai yesterday, Cruise – who plays super agent Ethan Hunt in the franchise - revealed that the movie's moniker will have a bit of an unexpected twist, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"One of the things I always wanted for the franchise was for it not to have a number afterward," the 48-year-old actor, who is in talks to star in a film adaptation of the Broadway musical "Rock of Ages," told reporters.

"I’ve never done sequels to films and I never thought of these films as sequels," he continued. "Paramount has done a great job in coming up with a title, so it’s not going to be MI2, 3, 4: It’s going to be 'Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol.'"

The film, which recently shot scenes in Prague and is now lensing in Dubai, is expected to arrive in theaters on December 16, 2011.

Post by:
Filed under: movies • Tom Cruise

1. pratik

i m exicited 2 see mi4

March 15, 2011 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. V.I .P

super :)

January 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cruise Away Tom

I'm a fan of Jeremy Renner but I will be skipping this film because of @$$hat Tom Cruise. I can't respect a person who shills for a cult.

November 9, 2010 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. april

Tom Cruise scales the tallest building in Dubai for MI: Ghost Protocol. Check out these images: http://bit.ly/bkAgIa

November 8, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Susan

I'm sure all 5 people who pay to see this movie will care...

November 1, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TCorp

Apparently Paramount didn't like "Mission: Impossible: Thetan Protocol"

November 1, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. Somi

Tom we love you more than what you think. We admire you and love your action it is just what I need to take me out of the moment for at lest one hour. there is no these action that often anymore.
    Please more action movies!!!!
    I am in Dubai by the way...and worked in the Burj Khalifa

November 1, 2010 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jonny

I like cheese

November 1, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. Maria Rondinone

People.....get a life. Hurt Locker was intelligent & maybe not terribly accurate but few REALLY want to know what life in a war zone is like. Sarah Palin is a beautiful woman but full or herself & a major ignorant bimbo. Back to the subject.....who cares if Tom is crazy??? What I DO care about is that hes undertalented, WAY overpaid (who orders designer custom heels for their 4 yr old child?? because SHE wants them & shouldn`t be stifled......yah, right & the junkie wants coke). LOL....you people kill me! He is one of the most narcissistic, ignorant, untalented people who ever lived. If other shallow people want to worship him its their perogative. I put them in the same catagory as those who worship & live for all the overpaid "boys" who play sports for a living.....making their terrific living on all the poor & average income folks who are too stupid to realize what fools they are to feed THAT machine. Live your lives admiring those who are actually worth it!!!!

November 1, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. Skeptical

So you've met the Pope, Mother Teresa AND Jesus? And you know them well I suppose? (Sorry... couldn't resist)

October 31, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Skeptical

Some of these posts are quite entertaining."Steal-a-man-Jolie" I think is my favorite. Tom has always been an intense give it your all guy and pursuing religion is no different for him. So I hope his in-laws become a positive influence so he can be freed from the bondage of that destructive cult. Peace out :)

October 31, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sean

I love how brainwashed christians make fun of scientologists for being crazy. Talk about hypocricy!
    They are both myth and easily disproven. Tom cruise is no more crazy than the pope, mother teresa, or jesus himself for that matter.

October 31, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnnyBgood

Do you really want to know what seperates Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism from Scientology?

Scientology is the only religion where you have to pay $500,000.00 to read their spiritual scriptures.

No other religion on this PLANET requires you too pay that much money to read some scriptures.

November 1, 2010 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. Gina

I like Palin,"Pit Bull with lip stick".

October 31, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Phillyboi

And please people, political talk does not belong in a post about movies.

Obama is working hard. Palin is an idiot. Political pundits need to shut up and let the president work. We did it so consistently for all preseidents since Nixon until the president became a black man. Perhaps that is what the antagonism is about.

October 31, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gizmo

I watch the M.I. Chapters because of the stories and the fact the Eathan Hunt is based on a real person who did somewhat similar events . He was real people!!! LEARN YOUR HISTORY!!

October 31, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Gina

Tom's inlaws are christian.

October 31, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mummykins

I find it funny that when people post truths about the church of scientology, a scientologist will pop up calling someone a bigot. You can keep saying it , doesnt make it true. People are not bigots just because the disagree with you. That's like saying all scientologist are bigots to the outside world. Oh wait. they do call us"wogs" and think they are superior.LOL. Whos the bigot now?

About this movie. I wish they would have recast the lead. Then I might actually spend my money on it. I won't support any scientologist if one red cent is going to that corrupt and sinister organization.

October 31, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. cattrina

Is he looking OLD ! Hand the role over to a younger hotter guy, old man !

October 31, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Ronnie

Meh. dont care much for tom since he's an overactor and he believes in scientology crap. sure some of his movies such as minority report were good but overall he's come and gone. jeremy renner however is a good actor and the hurt locker was intense and legit. all you people who dis it are just people who think that war is cool and action packed. thl gave a strong sophisicated and psycological version of war that was chilling and superb. i think that the new mi will be just ok and few will care about it. its over tom. you really are now just a flop

October 31, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  20. are you kidding

Are you guys nuts. The Hurt locker was a great movie. Have you ever heard of the Academy Awards?

October 31, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  21. gi

Shia LeBouf...that kid can act!! He's professional, believable & very entertaining!

October 31, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ja

HE IS A GOOD MAN ALL HIS MOVIES IS GOOD

October 31, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  23. Rodan

" I don't do sequels... I donKt sign autographs... I'm not gay... I don't medicate... I don't act... I don't....." What can you do Tom?

October 31, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  24. Blender 2.5

Mission Impossible movies are entertaining. I think that's all you need to take from this. Yes, Tom Cruise has some weird habits, but I'm sure most others in the drama field do as well. I think Mel Gibson has taken a greater fall lately.

October 31, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  25. Justinisagay

Justin Beiber is gay!!

October 31, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  26. bjma

I'll see the movie,,,i enjoy the seeing the product , the energy and technology of the movies,,,who cares about their personal life,,,we all have one too,,,it's about there profesional work we should look for,,,their public or non public life is not the movie!!!!!

October 30, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jerry

Apparently Nicole Kidman didn't like Toms acting
    Don't think wife 2 Katie Holmes will be there much longer

October 30, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. dan

Husrt locke sucked. It was way over the top and didn't really represent what really happens

October 30, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  29. eddie monster

There comes a time when you TC must step aside and be the man buy letting another man move up or help u r wife with her career since u had your shot to make $. U r time is up NEXT!

October 30, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Chale Holmes

Wow, alot of narrowminded, arrogant, teabagging conservatives on here today.

October 30, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  31. sam

The more I see of the Internet, the less I like people.

October 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  32. platoonfitness

I find the comments section more readable than the actual story.

October 30, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  33. kat

What one likes in movies & actors is personal.
    I have movies that I will go see just because of who is in it, such as
    John Malcovich, Merle Streep, Clint Eastwood, ect.
    I like action movies, movies with plot, & movies with kick your ass females.
    Sands of time, red, just as good as city island or even penguins marching lol.
    I don't care about a actor personal life. I like almost every movie tom c does.
    He gives them 100% and they have plenty of action in them.
    I can watch them more than once and am impressed he does most of his own stunts. He is now...50 year old?
    He looks and moves great. He has more good samaritin acts than most stars I read about (stories come from those he helped not his pr guy).
    I think the MI series gets better with each one and look forwars to this one. Cast sounds amazing.
    Also looking forward to third men in black with will smith. And on a side note. Although I can't imagine leaving nicole kidman and think tom didn't handle things well personally for awhile there he seems to be devoted husband and father now. And now is where people should reside.

October 30, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Sam Worthington

Is Sam Worthington in the movie? If not, why not. This movie needs more cow bells.

October 30, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Rommel Hunter Sr

Listen yall! I'm "old
    School! M.I. From the first
    3 seasons w/Steven
    Hill & Peter Graves(rip)
    Is what's happening!

October 30, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  36. mamba

grossman!!!! Aside from that; you pretty much suck as a human charlie babbitt

October 30, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  37. Ds

While I'm not a fan of his personal life and find him a slight bit arrogant, his acting skills are still there. He was the only one that put any effort in Tropic Thunder and he was just a cameo with no major billing. Hell, I didn't recognize him til the credits rolled.

October 30, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  38. Skeptical

"Goos books"?

October 30, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  39. dev

I like the Bourne movies better but MI movies have been okay. DiCaprio's latest movies are slow action/no action, long and drawn out.I keep waiting for something to happen but it never does...and then I wake up and it's time to go to work. Not going to rent the DVD another night.

October 30, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  40. Mindset

Nothing smells better than success Tom. Love the critic's, they make you work harder.RB

October 30, 2010 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  41. Faisal

"At a press conference with cast mates Jeremy Renner and Paula Patton at the Doha Film Festival in Dubai yesterday, Cruise...."

Doha... is in a country called Qatar.... Dubai... is a state in the United Arab Emirates!

How can the Doha Film Festival... be in Dubai? Ignorant of the reporter not to fact check!

October 30, 2010 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  42. andy

you people are idiots..excited for this. HL was incredible that's why it got thr oscar, rennar is the man, not only in HL, but The Town and 28 weeks later, go watch your twilight movies, toolbags.

October 30, 2010 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  43. clay

scientologist : belives that ghosts from another planet invades our bodies an alters our thoughts an moods then having to pay to get to the next level to read some sacred crap wrote by l ron hubbard there is some thing wrong the guy wrote goos books but as a creater of a religion not so sure maybe tom needs to go see another scientologist session , iam am not a bible thumper but why follow some crazy relgion where you have to pay to get helped then tom is one of the top dudes in the cal. scientologist churches

October 30, 2010 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
    • jlb

Simply stated – You are a religious bigot. What you state about his religion has nothing to do with movie and has no semblance of truth. You are an idiot.

October 30, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Talar

Can't wait! Tom's my fav actor!!

October 30, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  45. robbluc

I will see this film, I really loved the first one way back when, the 2nd was fresh and different from the 1st, the 3rd...well my problem was the love interest...I had a hard time feeling like Ethan really loved her...great that Hoffman was in it, GREAT bad guy. People taking trash without any intelligence should stay away, they add nothing to these discussions. See you at the party Tommy!

October 30, 2010 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  46. matt brooklyn

Who cares? We all lost interest after the first. Think Tom is an ass and he honestly hasn't produced quality in aa a uuwork s qqstufd

October 30, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  47. Dick Bacon

Lensing?

October 30, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  48. matt brooklyn

Who cares? We all lost interest after the first. Think Tom is an ass and he honestly hasn't produced quality in a a uuwork s qqstufd

October 30, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  49. Skeptical

Oy..."Ghost Protocol"? I agree – TV show with Peter Graves way more intriguing. When the first MI remake with Tom came out and featured all of his fellow agents getting whacked by an insider in the first 15 minutes of the movie, it turned me off. I like Tom but these remakes are so boring to me. Can't to this day recall any of the plots. Too bad...

October 30, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  50. Dave

Hey, Jake! You speak as if you were an expert actor. How would you know about acting in a padded suit? Let's see you do a better job as an actor, smart ass.

Jeremy Renner is a good actor and The Hurt Locker is a good movie, it did a good job potraying the physical and psychological struggles as a soldier. And it was great that they showed in the movie how the struggles of a soilder don't end when they come home. Sorry it didnt have more action or whatever you were looking for in a war film, sorry it was too sophisticated for you.

October 29, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • fitz

No, it did not to a good job of portraying soldiers. It made EOD troops look like cowboys and presented the profession in a very bad light. It was inaccurate and poorly researched

October 30, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Nugent

Jerry O'Connell rocks.

October 29, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  52. some one

Uhhh ur gay

October 29, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Freddie

Theresa, you're fine. The Hurt Locker is a good film. Don't listen to those putzes.

October 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Freddie

Cruise's best movie, by far, is Jerry Maguire.

October 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Freddie

Why do they continue to make MI movies?! All of them are one-dimensional and boring!!

October 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  56. theresa

Not a Cruise fan, but I didn't mind the Hurt Locker...lol. Guess I'm a minority here!

October 29, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  57. maureen28

I LOVE TOM! soooo excited for his new movie! MI is my all time favorite! :)

October 29, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Cardinal

Paula Patton, now there is a star that continues to shine. I do trust she will add in a big way that extra ingredient to the new Mission.

October 29, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Days of blunder

if he had the balls he would do an indie film and let us see what he really has. He needs to give back what hes taken

October 29, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  60. top bum

I thought he had finally disappeared for good. I guess that mission is impossible. Looks like he needs the money and ego boost. He is no James Bond. Take a cruise tom.

October 29, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Mark silvers

Snore

October 29, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  62. timmy G

Tom Cruise....was wondering what all you folks busting on him....have got going on that we can admire instead.

October 29, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Steven Seagal

Mission Impossible: Bone Smuggler's Revenge

October 29, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Holly Golightly

Jon Hamm and Ben Affleck were awesome as well as hot in "The Town"!!

October 29, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  65. jeremy Renner

Jeremy Renner was awesome in The Town oh and he won an Oscar. Therefore I am pretty sure that qualifies him as a good actor.

October 29, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  66. scott

Mission impossible: The Oprah Files

October 29, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  67. scott

Emilio estevez was my favorite in all the MI movies... Too bad for his fate :(

October 29, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  68. scott

Fyi jeremy renner played jeffrey dahmer aka damner in the movie dahmer. I can never look at him since I saw him raping young guys and drilling holes in their heads...

October 29, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Rivers

Dear Tom Cruise, just because you don't like the idea of sequel doesn't mean they are not. The first one of these was so terrible that I have not bothered with the second or third SEQUEL and I won't bother with the fourth SEQUEL either. Nut job.

October 29, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

You clearly also didn't bother with a coherent statement. MI2 was the 1st sequel, MI3 was the 2nd sequel, that would make this the 3rd sequel, and yet you call it the 4th sequel. Go read a book, stop trolling the Internet.

October 30, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  70. MadCityBabe

Mission Impossible: I'm Laughing All the Way to the Bank!

October 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Sogeking

Mission Impossible: Xenu Strikes Back

October 29, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Smoking Baby

Mission Impossible: Jump the Couch

October 29, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  73. B=Dog

Mission Impossible: Crusade against the Scientologists*

*If any Scientologists read this, please don't send the Hollywood hit squad after me.... I'm just kidding.

October 29, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • kanye

wow you're like so funny and smart. how can i be like you? teach me, please!

October 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  74. perina

I'd rather spend my $$ on an ice cream than on another flop from TC.

October 29, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  75. T

I agree with Bob, I hated the first one where Jim Phelps (who wrote this drek ?)turned out to be the villain ! How wrong is that ?
    I kinda liked the 2nd movie but the third.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    I thought the MI franchise was going to be re-booted with a new cast.

October 29, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Steven Seagal

Mission Impossible: L Ron Hubbard, Witch Doctor

October 29, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Bob

The original MI tv series was great. Intelligently written and executed. Every episode was a psychological thriller. The MI movies have all been a disappointment and cannot hold a candle to the tv series. The movies are nothing but a string of inane far-fetched action sequences. Peter Graves and the MI team were way better than anything Tom Cruise has shown us.

October 29, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  78. CanadianPinoy

December 2011? is this a typo?

October 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Gman

T. Cruise – I'd still do him.

October 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Blubird1

Tom Cruise is a has been. But he has yet to see the light and just go away.

October 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  81. The Dude

Mission: Impossible: Xenu's Revenge

October 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  82. jackie

Hurt locker was AWFUL

October 29, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Rick Springfield

Maybe Jason Bourne can appear and kick his ass. Now that's a movie.

October 29, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Tony

MI3 was a Great movie. Who gives a damn about Tom Cruise's personality, he is a terrific actor. I can't imagine checking an actor's "politics" before going to see a movie. Freakin' nut jobs!

October 29, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Agrees. All M.I. movies have had decent storyline and great to see. I can't wait to see Ving Rhames in the movie. I love his parts. I don't like the revolving door of women as Tom's personal interest in the film. I felt we should see some build. But I understand the franchise wants to control the direction of the movie as well and with that comes disappearing women. I don't care about his rant on Oprah. I feel like if he loves his woman great. Most people don't love their spouse which results in our high divorce rates in the US. Tom has always been a good actor and I loved him in that recent film where he was dancing and being someone that is not an attractive white male. I thought that it proved that perhaps he really could act. Tom is doing fine and that Knight and Day movie I looked at and liked too. It was silly and showed that he kind of really has lightened up–or maybe this is who he's always been and he has achieved the status to be able to show it.

If we are going to throw stones at someone for their arrogance throw them at steal a man Jolie. All movies she is in focus solely on her and lack plot. I haven't seen everything but this seems to be the only role she knows how to play.

And please people, political talk does not belong in a post about movies.

Peace.

October 30, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • sam

Tell us how you really feel AJ.

October 31, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  85. yawn..

lame. tom cruise was good in the days of thunder, risky business, top gun days...but anymore more, he's nothing but a washed-up actor.

October 29, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blubird1

Washed-up and highly overpaid and overrated!

October 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • marie

washed up?? and yet u bothered to read this article about him? hahaha u sure dont have a life! :(

October 29, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  86. SaintPetersburg

Vladimir Mashkov is in this movie...he will steal every scene

October 29, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Mo

Tom Cruise was at one time a cool actor to go spend a few bucks on a movie for a weekend night out. But I just can't forget the time when he did his "Cuckoo's Nest" tantrum on Oprah and his belittling of Brooke Shields for her dealing with anxiety. Now I understand why he is such a recluse but loves the paparrazzi taking his pictures. Please Tom, instead of giving the world another Bomb for the reasons I just explained, please allow a new comer (actor) to take that spot you so miserably left open after your historical narcissist scholarly input. I won't spend another dime on your movies.

October 29, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  88. Cruisaholic

12-16-11? That's over a year from now! Bummer.

October 29, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  89. David M

I don't care what you name your stinking film. I won't go see it. Tom Cruise is one of the most arrogant people in Hollywood. He's right up there with Nancy Pelosi.

October 29, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  90. Corvus1

I'm just watching it because of Josh Holloway.

October 29, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  91. kiki

I'm more excited to see Jeremy Renner in this movie. He was excellent in the Hurt Locker.

October 29, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  92. kiki

October 29, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Jake

Just because you said it twice does not make it true. Renner is a terrible actor. The Hurt Locker was a terrible movie. How tough is it for an actor to act in padded suit? Not tough at all!

October 29, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Blackhawk

Hurt Locker was a terrible movie and that dude wasn't that great in it.

October 29, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Tony

I'm with Jake. Hurt Locker was a Terrible movie.

October 29, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Dollar

Agreed – Hurt Locker was a terrible movie. About 1/2 of the audience walked out on it when we went.

October 29, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |