Shape editor says apology for LeAnn Rimes cover taken out of context
October 29th, 2010

Shape editor says apology for LeAnn Rimes cover taken out of context

Shape magazine readers were fit to be tied when country singer LeAnn Rimes appeared on the October cover, and while the magazine's editor-in-chief did send an apology to some readers who wrote in about the cover story, she says her words have been taken out of context.

The issue, which showed 28-year-old Rimes posing in a red bikini, included an interview in which she admitted cheating on ex-husband Dean Sheremet with current beau Eddie Cibrian.

"My relationship with Dean was great, but ultimately it wasn't a fulfilling marriage for either of us," she said. "I understand why people are disappointed in me, especially since I grew up as America's sweetheart."

After readers got bent out of shape, editor-in-chief Valerie Latona sent out an e-mail to the upset and admitted that she regretted the cover choice.

Celebrity site TooFab has reportedly obtained a copy of the e-mail, which reads:

"You are all in good company... as you all agree Shape has made a terrible mistake in putting LeAnn Rimes on the cover. Please know that our putting her on the cover was not meant to put a husband-stealer on a pedestal but to show (through her story) how we all are human. And this woman in particular found strength in exercise in what she said was her most difficult personal moment."

The note continued, "it did not come across that way... And for that I'm terribly sorry. I hope that we can do better the next time for those of you that will give us another chance."

However, Latona said in a statement to CNN that her "comments have been taken out of context," and that she "used the words of the few unhappy readers who wrote in."

"I stand by the fact that LeAnn's story is compelling–and her courage and strength in the face of so much adversity is compelling. That is why I put her on the cover of Shape for what is now the third time," Latona said. "The fact is a mere 40 readers out of almost 6 million readers wrote in to complain calling LeAnn a 'husband stealer' and a 'terrible mistake for Shape.' I wrote to those women apologizing that our cover choice did not make them happy—as I have done for other cover stars in the past."

Meanwhile, Rimes tweeted last night that she was completely unaware of the controversy.

"Just so all my fans know, I'm getting to the bottom of this," she wrote. "It's the first I've heard of this. Shape is throwing me a party next week as a thank you and a congrats for being on their cover for the 3rd time. I find this very contradictory."

1. tom

No big deal putting Rimes on SHAPE. What I was shocked at was when InStyle put Whitney Houston on their cover a few months ago...

November 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. karla

Being in the public eye makes her mistakes bigger? She is just as human as Jane Q Public; the issues she has are the same and people should forget hers just the same.

November 1, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MadCityBabe

"America's Sweetheart"...........It's all about meeeeee, wonderful meeeeeee, but enough about meeeee, what do you think about meeeeeee...........gag, vom

November 1, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. LL

I can't stand LeAnn since this mess started. Not because she had the affair, (I have no idea what the state of her marriage was like), but because she has NO tact and is NOT fit to be a mother. She's constantly hanging on that idiot Eddie, (who appears to be using her); she is shockingly inappropriate with those kids. She's NOT the mother, and never will be. She acts like they are her children, and they are not. She has no respect for the mother, and no respect for the boys. She and Eddie are living together and the boys are around that. I'm sorry, but a year ago those boys saw mommy and daddy sleeping together, now it's daddy and the tramp, and they are not even married! Eddie should lose custody of those kids, and LeAnn shouldn't be allowed around them either. Liberal B.S.; the kids will pay, and eventually so will LeAnn, Eddie and probably Eddie's ex-wife. They are all narcassistic and selfish and should have dogs instead of kids.

November 1, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cate

1. Rimes was NEVER America's sweetheart, except in her own mind.
    2. Angelina and Brad Pitt didn't cheat, there is no confirmation on that and Angelina didn't 'wreck anybody's home'. Even if they got together early, it was after Brad and Aniston seperated. He obviously wanted things in life (i.e. a family) that Jennifer didn't. And those of you morons who say Aniston wanted kids, if she did she'd already have them.
    3. Why is Rimes playing the victim? YOU chose to cheat and stress yourself out, BOO HOO! Shut up and go crawl under a rock.

November 1, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. elaine

and she wasn't called that- amy grant was...and look what she did...don't these spouses know, that if he cheated on them while married, that he'll cheat ON THEM as well??

October 31, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. elaine

once a cheater, always a cheater...used to be married to one...who cares??

October 31, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kelly

I agree with Jeepers. When she made the comment about being "America's Sweetheart" it made me cringe. Really?!? America's Sweetheart?? She's the first (and only) person I've ever heard call her that!

October 31, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. diane

first of all LeAnn grew up as americas sweetheart..she was 13 when her first hit came out. The american public put her in that position, she did not.. Second of all..she has said time and time again that she went about getting out of the marriage the wrong way..How long does she have to apologize. Also rumors swirled that Dean is gay..but we will never know since neither one of them have talked about their marriage..or the demise of it..as it should be...And..Angie and Brad are NOT married..no committment there. I love Leanns music..I will continue to listen to her music...she is an incredible vocalist..As for her private life..it is just that her private llife...to live..and learn by mistakes..Perhaps she and Eddie will stay together..perhaps not..personally I think she can do better..BUT..it is not my business..All I can say..is MORE MUSIC LEANN!!!

October 31, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JT

Really...

Who gives a crap? She is just an actor, it's not like she has done anything truly meaningful for this world.

October 31, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Horrors!

I'm so confused. I thought LeAnn's ex-husband was gay. What's all this fuss? It's better to be under my rock, I guess.

October 31, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. AnnieZzzzzz

Leann Rimes is taking a beating for stealing someon'es husband. Good, she deserves it. An so does Julia Roberts, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lopez and dumb-ass Tori Spelling.

October 31, 2010 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ayyyy Prill Zee

I find it so funny that some of us make other people's business into a big controversy. We thrive off of drama. It's exciting! Big freaking deal she cheated on her husband (who was a little scrony & dorky) with another man (who is, might I add is one of the HOTTEST men in Hollywood). There is no real big shock there. It would have been more shocking if she cheated with like Jerry Springer or Larry King. I'm sorry, I love my husband very much, but if Eddie Cibrian co-stared with me in a movie I'd fall in love with him too. Go head Lee Lee... Tell everyone to mind their business and give that hunk a kiss from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of the 40 chicks that the editor wrote apology e-mails too are a bunch of insecure, judgmental chicken heads. Who gets outraged over an article in a work out mag? MAN, Get off of your fat asses, workout and maybe you too can get a hot ass man one day. Stop wasting your and the nice editor ladies time. She has more important things to do then pacify your lame behinds.

October 30, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. reverend hermes

being famous singers, and actors does not make them perfect, they just sin and lie and steal like everyone else and that is why they will burn in hell like eveyone else does!

October 30, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sabrina

How is what LeAnn did ANY different than Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. People seem to love them and her and they are just as bad. People are so hypocritical and need to get a life.

October 29, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeepers

I think the thing that probably turns most people off is her lack of humility...for instance, calling herself "America's Sweetheart." Plus Angelina and Brad are A listers and these two are...well, just not. Apples to oranges.

October 30, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • KittyTwister

I came on here to comment on this very same topic. I really feel that it is wrong to not judge Brad and Angelina in the same manner. Is it just because he didn't have children with Jennifer? The marriage vows are not null and void if you do not have kids. Please bring back personal responsibility and morals people!

October 30, 2010 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
    • csol

I think (just my opinion) the reason people are so quick to judge Leann Rimes and are harsher on her than say Angelina Jolie (who is a SERIAL homewrecker and I don;t like her any more than i like Leann Rimes!)is because she had the affair, they then got out of their respective marriages and she spends AN INSANE AMOUNT of her life on twitter!! It is almost as though those 2 little boys who have been drug through all of this crap and now have to split their time between 2 homes, have lost their stable lives all in vain!! Because honestly, if you are spending like 10 hours a day on phone or computer posting on twitter, your loved ones are NOT that important 2 u and u r not giving them the attention they deserve!! She is keeping herself relevant in all the WRONG ways by her continued behavior!

October 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Steven Seagal

She is still smoking hot and the cover is great. Who cares if she cheated? That just tells me she's open to boning.

October 29, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  17. AngIe Flores

I think that people are exagerating on what happened. If it was someone else on the cover of the magazine that did that would the scandal still be there. LeAnn and Eddie are not the first to cheat on their spouses. Just because she is on the cover, it does not mean the magazine agrees with her decisions. Everyone has the right to make mistakes and they have the right not to be judged.

October 29, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. justme

Why in sam he** would she apologize for putting LeAnn Rimes on the cover. We are so quick to forgive drunken rants in Hollywood, wife beating celebrities, cheating celebrities, celebrities who just walk out on their spouses and children. We are so quick to forget the fact that this celebrity was once married to this celebrity and on and on the circle goes. So why do you find it necessary to apologize for putting her on the cover. Who else could you have picked that didn't have skeletons in the closet? Why is she so different from the other celebrities? Or how is Eddie different? Not to mention that one of the other magazine owned by Shapes parent company is the National Enquirer.

October 29, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |