HBO renews 'Eastbound' as 'Big Love' ends
October 29th, 2010

HBO renews 'Eastbound' as 'Big Love' ends

Kenny Powers may not be headed back to Major League Baseball any time soon, but television’s favorite foul-mouthed, mullet-rocking bad boy will be on HBO’s roster for another year.

In an announcement from HBO that comes over a month after the network gave its new series, “Boardwalk Empire,” a second season, both “Eastbound and Down” and “Bored to Death” were picked up for their third seasons, according to Variety.

Starring Danny McBride, who also co-produces the series along with Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, “Eastbound and Down” follows the hilarious and often delusional life and times of Kenny Powers, a former pitching star who some have called cable television’s fictional version of John Rocker. With linear plays, DVR viewings and on-demand requests, “Eastbound and Down” nets about 4.9 million viewers a week.

Falling in the half-hour time slot before “Eastbound,” HBO's comedy “Bored to Death” has also enjoyed a cult-like following. Featuring Jason Schwartzman as a writer-turned-detective, the show pulls in about 3.1 millions viewers a week.

But it seems that another HBO series has stumbled upon the beginning of the end. The fifth season of "Big Love," which starts January 16, will be the show's last, according to the Los Angeles Times. The paper reports that series creators Mark Olsen and Will Scheffer feel the program has arrived at a natural conclusion.

Filed under: Eastbound & Down • television

1. freddy

I will surley miss "BIG LOVE" it was one of the most creative shows on the network. most networks would not touch such a taboo subjject line as POLYGAMY in such a way HBO has. The actors on the show are just superb. well, I look forward to the special box set of the 5th seasons they gave us.

October 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. teenab

I love me some Eastbound and Down. Hilarious show!!

October 29, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monica

I love Eastbound and Down too! I’m so glad they renewed the series. I am lucky to have my employee subscription to DISH Network and not a company like DirecTV because they don't offer HBO Comedy in HD. I love movies and shows that have to do with Americans in Mexico because my dad is from Mexico and my mother from the U.S. so I can see the humor from both sides.

March 24, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kiki

Well, I guess I will be canceling my HBO subscription. I only watched it for Big Love! :(

October 29, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Nicole

At least they're letting Big Love END...not like what happened with Carnivale. I still haven't really forgiven HBO for that one. I love Big Love, and I'm glad it will get a chance to end properly, although nothing will ever beat the AMAZING ending of Six Feet Under.

October 29, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |