'Mike & Molly' creator reacts to Marie Claire controversy
October 28th, 2010

'Mike & Molly' creator reacts to Marie Claire controversy

The creator of the hit CBS show “Mike & Molly” has weighed in on the controversy surrounding a Marie Claire blogger’s remarks about the show and overweight people.

Mark Roberts told The Hollywood Reporter that he feels “protective” of the show’s stars, Billy Gardell and Melissa McCarthy, who portray an overweight couple who meet at Overeaters Anonymous and fall in love.

“Clearly, she realized she said some pretty hateful things,” Roberts said. “My initial reaction is she's talking about [Billy Gardell and Melissa McCarthy] and I love them.”

Blogger Maura Kelly created a firestorm after she blogged “So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything.”

People upset about the post flooded Marie Claire with more than 28,000 e-mails and on Twitter #unfollowmarieclaire became popular. “America’s Got Talent” judge Sharon Osbourne tweeted that she was canceling her Marie Claire magazine subscription and urged other people to also.

Kelly has since apologized.

Roberts said “everybody is welcome to their opinion, and clearly she can express her opinion, and thousands can express theirs about hers.”

“I would never tell anybody to express how they feel about something,” he said. “If you don't like the show's writing or acting, OK. This was just about human beings.”

The show creator has kept a bit of a sense of humor about it. He joked to Fancast.com that Molly will cancel her subscription to Marie Claire in an upcoming episode.

1. mary

I don't like this show and unless they are going to promote something healthy out of all this, it will just probably go away.

February 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. red herring

sorry about this… when u r reading this dont stop or something bad will happen! my name is summer i am 15 years old i have blonde hair ,many scars no nose or ears.. i am dead. if u dont copy this just like from the ring, copy n post this on 5 more sites.. or.. i will appear one dark quiet night when ur not expecting it by your bed with a knife and kill u. this is no joke something good will happen to u if you post this on 5 more pages

December 20, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. john

Yeah good idea, let's make people think it's OK to be fat. Let's just keep getting fatter and fatter so we can't leave the house and we can watch TV and then stuff our faces in self loathing. We have to stop comforting and babying everything in society. Our culture is weakening. If you're fat you should feel guilty about it, you're killing our health care. You should feel bad about making society pay for you're future heart attack. Just like smokers should feel bad. The difference is smokers have to pay huge amounts of tax to fulfill their retardation.
    ENOUGH WITH THE "It's a glandular problem" or "It's my thyroid" ****. Here's my advice; Stop eating McDonalds and KFC for you're meals and go for a freakin run once in a while. Stop making excuses for yourself and gain some pride in yourself. Trust me you'll feel better. Life is hard, but it's hard for everyone, you're not special. Pick yourself up, do it, and don't quit. On a final note, I know some of you pigs are gonna be angered by this post and reply with some stupid backlashes like "you're uneducated" or "you're just ignorant" or maybe you'll report website abuse, well just remember, I didn't shove that 12th cream puff donut down you're throat, you did (or maybe you're Mom did). So don't be angry with me, I just bring the truth

November 4, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • chellesh0ck

This is one of the many reasons I don't wish to bring children into this terrible world ... full of people with so little self worth that they feel that the only way to make themselves feel better is to try and marginalise another group of people purely judged on looks. John I pity you and the miserable life that you must lead, spending so much time judging others lives instead of enriching your own!

May 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jlove

Who cares? The obvious choice is to either play into the nonsense or not? I like Marie-Claire Magazine, I'm not going to cancel my subscription just because someone voiced their opinion. While as a representative of a magazine, I'm not going to question her either. No one should apologize for that. I'm a big girl, I'm not offended. I think the show is hilarious! I remember Rosanne, also Delta Burke. Stop victimizing people who are overweight, and if you are one stop being a victim. I think Mike and Molly is funny. The McCarthy family must be funny as he** because Jenny is hilarious. I remember Melissa from Gilmore girls, I'm glad she's doing this show. I just thought of a conundrum about what someone said earlier about not purchasing from MC advertisers – what if those same advertisers pay for Mike and Molly spots? What then? Just don't buy the magazine if you don't want.

November 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. imnotoverweight

I am not over weight BUT.. it makes me sick that comment was ever published! Some ppl just dont know where others are coming from bc they have never been where they particular person is and until they are or have a loved one who is they will stay hard headed about it! Whether it be that or another issue! Period. Unless of course they are perfect which im highly doubting!!!!!!!

November 1, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. thejamminjabber

Whatever. If character's weight is the basis for the premise of the show, you gotta expect strong reactions on both sides. Obesity is unhealthy, and yes, gross. Stop being so sensitive, America.

October 31, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Deb

I love Mike and Molly. I tape it every week. I hope it is on a long time. Billy Gardell is from Pittsburgh and I am from Pa. I like fat men. There is something about being surrounded by a man when being hugged by a fat man.

October 29, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tony and Lisa

We watched the show because of Melissa McCarthy. She's so talented – just see for yourselves as she portrays Sookie in Gilmore Girls. Tony especially identified with Luke and myself with Lorelai and our daughter with Rory. But we loved Sookie because of her undeniable beauty and her ability to consistently show perfection with her expressions and delivery, always keeping the stories flowing. She's a keeper in any show but hopefully in more movies. And, she's a Chicago area native! So cool. Hope the guy in the show does well – don't know of him. But Sookie rocks in our books! She's gorgeous.

October 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff

Frank,Seagal and Orca.

Little girly men!!!

October 28, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff

Hey Frank,
    I am physically fit but I would still like to call you out.
    Offensive jerk punk!!!

October 28, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. michelle kelley

hey steven segal and orca both of you are idiots

October 28, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Caroline

Maura Kelly apologizes. Big deal. Her nasty, hateful, hurtful "opinion" will always be out there. I will never buy another Marie Claire again, ever.

October 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. EL Jefe

That hat is kicking it old school...

October 28, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Holly Golightly

Wow, can I say anything, CNN, without you censoring me??? Maura Kelly should write on here, then she would be totally censored! What a half arssed apology! I used to subscribe to Marie Claire, but not anymore! Perhaps Kelly should deal with her fear issues instead of alienating 99% of her audience!

October 28, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. rls in sc

These days we need to laugh. I enjoy my Monday evenings 2 and half men, Mike and Molly and The new hawaii 50.

October 28, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

I get my laughs reading the funny comments on the threads here. The two Mike and Molly threads have been hilarious.

I just rode down in the elevator with this 5'0" woman who is huge. Her toes look like overstuffed Vienna sausages. I don't mind going hogging though – a few beers makes em look a lot thinner. I just hate waking up with the chocolate fingerprints on my back.

October 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • spike

how can anyone watch a show with a woman beater? it baffles me....

November 4, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  16. Weaverdog

The wife and I love the show and will continue to watch it.

October 28, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Steven Seagal

This is like Deja vu all over again! Oh, the hilarity that this thread will become by Saturday.

October 28, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  18. creed08

We finally have a show depicting real people in real situations.There are a lot of overweight people, I am one of them. Because of medications I have to take to live, I can't lose weight on a consistant basis. I have tried diets, giving up most anything that tastes good and being supervised by my doctor. Nope no weight loss. Not everyone who is overweight has a choice. I would love to be back to 130 that I was in 2006. Ain't gonna happen. Let's enjoy this show and keep hateful remarks about anyone to ourselves.

October 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Size4Nikki

You people crack me up. The whole fashion industry is based on image. Not your 'inner beauty' you like to hold fast to. If you had no problem buying a magazine that idealizes size 0 to begin with, then you shouldn't whine about it when one of its contributors expresses disdain for obesity. I'll keep buying my magazines regardless of either sentiment because I understand how the system works and won't go throwing a temper tantrum just because I disagree with something they said. If you really are so secure in your weight, it shouldn't bother you. If it does, maybe you already realize you have a problem and just don't like anyone pointing it out.

October 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Janbo

I think it is kind of "racist" to make the kind of comments seen regarding these overweight charanters. If they were thin and bony, would we be hearing these kind of comments? Why can't people just look past the imperfections of a body image and enjoy the comedy as it is. And it is not about weight, the majority of the time. It is just pure good comedy! We have something call freedom of choice, and you might try exercising that right by being quiet and turning the channel to something else. No one is making you watch the show. So if you can't watch grown up television, turn to someting more to your liking, maybe wrestling or cartoons.And leave the rest of us to include viewing this delightful show!

October 28, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. dottie

I think the show is awesome. I mean, two-and-a-half men, which I also like, shows Charlie dating multiple women and basically being a womanizer. Is that okay because they are skinny? No. It's not anyone's right to judge a show based on the weight of the actors/actresses. I love the show and will continue to watch it and definitely won't buy MarieClaire anymore!

October 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Lori

I have never read Marie Claire magazine & do not plan too.However,I am familiar with eating eclairs & do enjoy the show "Mike & Molly". This blogger fom MC is a goof ball, shame on her for her insensitivity.

October 28, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Kelly Redd

Thanks. I can't believe I forgot about Rosanne. Another great show. But I think we can probably agree that she's the exception to the rule.

October 28, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. SAM

I love the show.. being overweight myself I was able to laugh and relate to many of the situations. If you don't like it don't watch it, there are many other channels to view. Absolutely no excuse for such nasty thoughtless comments.. I also feel the apology given was only to save their butts.. I have canceled my subscription as well..

October 28, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Dee

The show is so funny!! It's the first show in a very long time that my husband and I find ourselves laughing out loud. Their weight is a non issue for me because I fell in love with the characters and how absolutely funny they are. The pilot had us laughing so hard that we had to rewind to hear the parts missed. Ms. Kelly is an extremely hateful person and shame on Marie Claire for allowing such disgusting behavior. Freedom of speech does not mean that we completely disregard another person's feelings. There a thousands of young girls starving themselves to death and thousands more beating themselves up over being the fat kid. Grow-up and stop being so hateful!!!

October 28, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Joannie

I absolutely love Mike and Molley. This show is funny, and down to earth. Keep it going and lose the "plastic" people who are shallow enough to judge others by their size.

October 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. theville

I think Melissa is a doll and I immediately felt bad for her and her co-star when I heard what the biatch said. The blogger mentioned that she had battled anorexia, which I'm sure if MUCH healthier then being overweight. If that skinny biatch doesn't like the show, she can turn the channel while she's binging and purging and being miserable. Some people can't help that their genes predispose them to a slower metabolism or thyroid disease or lack of self control or whatever. As long as the person is happy on the inside, that's all that matters.

October 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  28. joe

Wow...you fat people are out in full force to protect each other. Maybe you should put that effort into trying to control yourself and not eat so much. Oh right, you have a thyroid problem, it's not your fault. mmmmmhmmm, sure

October 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joannie

I am NOT fat, nor do I have a thyroid problem, but I DO have a problem with folks like YOU!!!!
      I'll bet you are perfect, or at least, maybe your mother thinks you are....and YOU, of course.

October 28, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Hey Joe, you are a moron.

October 28, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Joe, I'm so glad you're perfect. I heard there were a handful of you out there. Did you know that 1 in 13 Americans struggle with thyroid disease? 1 in 8 women will have a thyroid condition in her lifetime. Is that the only reason why many people are overweight? No, of course not but let me ask, do you have any vices? Congrats if you don't. Food, like alcohol, cigerettes, herione, crack, prescription drugs can all be addictive. Unfortunately, you can't quit food cold turkey or quit it at all. Just like drugs, cigerettes and alcohol give people comfort and are abused to cope with life, so is food. If someone uses food for comfort, entertainment, family togetherness, it's difficult to control. Until whatever issue you are controlling with food is addressed, the eating issue is still there.

October 28, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicki Harris

Mike what makes you think all of us are fat? You are so stupid.

October 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cycoblitz

Hey, you and Maura are from the same mold of shallowness. Please remember your statement when you're older and your gut hangs over your belt. How many pretties will look your way? haha

October 29, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • morgan

It's so easy to pass judgement. Not everyone can't control themselves. Not everyone's metabolism works the same. I do happen to have a low thyroid, and I worked out with a trainer for a year and gained weight. I wouldn't have paid the money for a trainer if I wasn't going to eat right. Everyone is beautiful regardless of their weight.

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

October 31, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathy White

I have not heard anyone stating that they had a thyroid problem or even stating they are over wieght....why must you insist that because they are out raged by what was said that they them selves are over wieght? And yes i am over wieght and I am not ashamed of it...nor am I hinding from that fact but pure and simple what was said was wrong...no matter what the writer looks like or if her boss told her to write the article it was immoral and she knew better before she started entering the first word on the paper and yet she cose to do it anyways. So she and her magazine must now endure what writting that assignment has caused plain and simple.

November 1, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • betty

You sir, are an idiot

November 4, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  29. Pamela

It must be real tough being perfect like Maura Kelly. I think she should lose her job. How hateful can on be?

October 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  30. liza

Has anyone ever heard of Roseanne?

October 28, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  31. MHS

I cannot believe that Maura Kelly is such a bully. I don't like her because she has a big fat nose! How would she like that comment? Overweight people are human beings regardless of how they look. She needs to go to therapy to squelch her issues. The poor thing is delirious! As for her Editor telling her to write the story, I have canceled all of my gift subscriptions and so have all my friends. What a disappointment she and her editor are. I feel sorry for them.

October 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  32. ams

I agree! I will never buy another Marie Clair magazine! How many of us are perfect? I wonder if we were to look at the person who wrote the article, if they would be perfect? Should we judge? What are we teaching our children?

October 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  33. LBW

TV has always had big fat men with tiny beautiful wives. This goes back to Jackie Gleason all the way to the King of Queens. You never saw a big fat woman with a hot husband. Now we have Mike and Molly and I really like it. They are two cute people that love each other and they are huge. In the story they meet at an Overeaters meeting. They admit that they have a problem and they are trying to fix it. Their weight doesn't bother me as much as the stoner sister. She smokes pot in front of a cop. I thought there would be flack about that, but so far, no.

October 28, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeeC

Cancelled subscrition! She really needs to take a look at the women who have eating disorders. Maybe we should all mail her some pics othe women who struggle with eating disorders, would that help or is she too far gone???? It is STUPID comments like hers that doesn't help they way people see themselves! I would much rather watch mike and molly than ever read her magazine again!

October 28, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. wendy

Melissa is beautiful. Enough said.

October 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  35. audrey

I will never purchase another Marie Claire Magazine. Freedom of speech, perhaps, but certainly not in a magazine supposedly aimed at intelligent modern women. Shall we ask Ms. Kelly her opinions on African Americans, Hispanics, as well and publish them no matter what her thoughts are. I think we have all discovered where the drive for perfection in young girls comes from, and the message that they receive to hate their own bodies if its anything less than perfect. This woman should be fired. Disgusting.

October 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  36. zazelsodo

"Rosanne" – Anyone? Anyone?

October 28, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Kelly Redd

Good for Roberts. One thing that seems misguided to me about the promotion and media hype of this show (which I watch and enjoy) is the notion that this is the first time we have seen overweight romantic leads in a TV comedy. Not so. There are plenty of fat MEN on TV dating back to the Honeymooners and including King of Queens and According to Jim. Yet their wives are always hot and thin. It's alomst a TV formula. This is just the first time we've been able to see an overweight female lead...and suddenly everyone is making it a big deal and saying ugly things about the cast. Just another double standard in our culture and in Hollywood rearing its ugly head.

October 28, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bert

Actually Tyler Perry's "House of Payne" has a overweight female lead.That show has been on for over a year on TBS.

October 28, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Rhonda

I cancelled my subscription..

I totally connect with Mike and Molly and I love them. Falling in love is torturous enough.. This Maura Kelly Person was hateful and I hope she loses her job!

October 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • kiki

I also won't be purchasing another magazine from Marie Claire!

October 28, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

So that's how you take a stand against free speech? How about you stop seeking fulfillment for your Oprah-inspired confirmation bias and grow a brain? Life isn't an episode of Tyra.

October 28, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

The best way to exercise your First Amendment Rights is with good old American free market consumption. In other words, don't buy their magazine, but MORE IMPORTANTLY don't buy the products advertised in their magazine.

Their true revenue stream doesn't come from subscribers but from their advertisers. True, fewer readers mean fewer viewers of those ads, but hit them in their pocket book and see how fast they discover their conscience.

October 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |