A creepy, kooky 'Modern Family'
October 28th, 2010

A creepy, kooky 'Modern Family'

This Halloween saw some members of our favorite TV family down in the dumps, on Wednesday night's "Modern Family."

First of all, Phil was convinced that Claire was on the verge of divorcing him after he spoke to a newly separated friend. He didn't seem to notice any warning signs: "I'm a monogamous social drinker and Claire only sleep-hits me." Still, he kept looking for reassurance from Claire, but it was not forthcoming as his Halloween-obsessed wife wanted the perfect display for the neighborhood kids.

The witch for Claire's display, Gloria, wasn't happy either. Jay continued to harp on her broken English ("Carpal tunnel syndrome is not carpool tunnel syndrome"), so she responded by arriving for trick-or-treating festivities while adapting an overly-proper, enunciated manner of speech. Phil's characteristic reaction: "Did she just get back from the dentist?"

Mitchell didn't have an easy day either - first of all, it was a riot seeing him in a Spider-Man costume, complete with fake muscles. It was even more hilarious to see him try to hide it after he was misled into thinking that everyone dressed up in costume for work.

But it was Cam who was the most down in the dumps. (No surprise there.)

A terrible incident at Halloween made it a "day I just have to get through." And he wouldn't shut up telling the terrible, horrible story that he can't bear to tell, while pretending to be a head on a platter for trick-or-treaters.

Even though Cam came very close to stealing the show, as he often does, I have to give this week's MVP to Jay. First of all, his gargoyle costume fit him perfectly, and he was warned early on: "You can't just show up with a backwards cap and call yourself Snoop Dogg." Jay actually thought he was a "dog detective."

But he really deserved to be honored with the quote of the week, coming after Claire said, "You forgot the fog cue!" Jay's response: "This whole thing has been a colossal fog cue."

Did you have a scary good time watching the show this week? Ever suffered any Halloween-costume-at-the-office mishaps like Mitchell? Share your view on video, or in the comments below. In the meantime, check out iReporter Kathi Cordsen's take.

1. Dave L

I start started watching the show this season. I am joining in due to Ed O'Neil. Married with Children was one top ten comedy shows on tv ever. Ed is back and this crew is almost as good. The Halloween show was the best Halloween show I have ever seen. Modern Family is a great show.

October 31, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lisa K.

I laughed and laughed but think the best was the running joke of Spiderman Mitchell–squatting Spidey-like in the toilet stall, climbing down the drainpipe, all while looking horrified.

October 31, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. Carole

"Yesterday's lazy cured todays crazy". Seriously....this show could be any family that I know. The Baby Cheezus, when they came out of the box, and then when Cam was trying to get into the car and the alarms started going off and the Dracula guy was giving him the thumbs up, yall...TOO MUCH!!!

October 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. carol

All of it was hysterical – baby "chezes" – oh gosh that really did it for me the most. Great writers – great delivery.

October 29, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Chi-nati

FACT: Anyone who doesn't agree that this is the most consistently funniest sitcom currently on television is wrong.

October 28, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • adam

FACT: you are correct! love this show and i cant believe people are saying that isnt as good as season 1, each week is as funny if not funnier then the week before.

October 28, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sean

I'm still laughing about last night's episode! It has to be one of favorites..."I'm your mother now" from Luke, the "Baby Cheeses" from Gloria, and Mitchell and that damn Spiderman costume! GENIUS!!

October 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rose

Every episode has been great, love this show.

October 28, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kiki

I just watched last night's episode! I am still laughing! LOL! LOL! Cam's story about his horrible childhood experience with Halloween was hilarious!

October 28, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. s

Once again modern family, you didn't disappoint. It was hilarious. I was cracking up the whole episode.

October 28, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ann

or when Cam answers the phone and Mitchell says I am in Spriderman Costume in the bathroom stall and Cam says That is Hot, who is this!!! Now that is funny

October 28, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JimmyJam

This was a great episode.

October 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Greg

Once again the funniest part of the show was omitted in the recap. The car pool tunnel was mentioned, but not the baby cheeses? When Jay pulled a little statue of baby Jesus out of the box I literally almost wet my pants, just like Cam when he was 10. This was easily one of the top 3 episodes of this show in its short history.

October 28, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Anona Muss

The neighbor – I have to wash my dish.
    Claire – Gloria, since when do you speak English?
    Hayley – I'm Mother Theresa when she was hot.
    Luke – I'm your mother now!
    Trick-or-treating kid on Cam – I can see his feet.

October 28, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |