Behind-the-scenes with 'The Sound of Music' cast, 45 years later
October 28th, 2010

Behind-the-scenes with 'The Sound of Music' cast, 45 years later

On the first day of filming “The Sound of Music,” Julie Andrews taught the seven von Trapp children how to sing “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.” As “Mary Poppins” hadn’t arrived in theaters yet, the young actors thought she was “genius.”

At that time, Andrews wasn’t the Academy Award-winning actress she is today – she was a 28 year old Broadway singer who had just made her first film and was ready to tackle her second. Fortunately, the second film would propel her into stardom.

“It made my career,” Andrews said on "The Oprah Show" today. “It was that big of a movie.”

The original cast of “The Sound of Music” reunited on the show for the first time in 45 years. And they spilled all kinds of interesting tidbits for their dedicated fans.

Tidbits like Christopher Plummer, who played Captain von Trapp, calling the movie “The Sound of Mucus.” Or his drinking binges while filming in Austria that left him too big for his costume.

Apparently it was Plummer who taught then 21-year-old Charmian Carr (Liesl) how to drink. And Carr was more than willing to learn as she had a huge crush on the actor. “He was so perfect.”

Remember the scene where Maria and the children fall out of the boat? Kym Karath, who played the youngest daughter Gretl, didn’t know how to swim. Before filming the scene, an assistant director asked Andrews to fall forward to catch the girl when she fell into the water, but Andrews accidentally fell backwards.

“I’ve never swam the breaststroke so fast,” Andrews said laughing.

During the nine months of filming, the children grew as actors and simply grew up. Nicholas Hammond, who played Friedrich, grew six inches, so they had to keep bumping older sister Liesl up using platform shoes and boxes. And the littlest girls lost their front teeth, which made for a bit of a continuity problem.

Yet, grow up they did. Heather Menzies later posed for Playboy to shake the squeaky clean image of Louisa (“It didn’t work,” the actress said with a laugh on "The Oprah Show.") Angela Cartwright, Duane Chase – who STILL looks exactly the same as his character Kurt! – and several others continued their acting careers.

They have their own real families, but the von Trapp family actors stay close. They keep in touch at Christmas and other holidays and are now working on a book about their time on set that’ll release next year.

If you can’t wait that long, “The Sound the Music” has been restored and is set to release on Blu-ray on November 2.

1. Samsung Galaxy S4 Replica With WiFi

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. That is a very neatly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I'll definitely comeback.

March 21, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. snore

snore

January 13, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

January 13, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. now4share

You're actually a excellent webmaster. The web site loading pace is incredible. It seems that you are doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you've performed a great task on this subject!

January 13, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. off the grid homes

You really make it seem really easy with your presentation but I in finding this matter to be actually one thing which I feel I'd never understand. It sort of feels too complex and very large for me. I'm having a look forward on your subsequent put up, I'll try to get the hang of it!

June 3, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jamie

i'm looking for that book now? heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

December 9, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Molly Tripp

I'm still searching for the book myself and can't find, bookstores can't find anything either! HELP!

August 24, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. Henry Bellerose

Hi. I've been a fan of Oprah since the beginning of her show. i'm sad that the show is ending and I am going to miss her. She has been an inspiration to me and many other people. No one will ever take her place. Could I get a picture of Oprah with the cast of the Sound of Music. Maybe she could sign it with love from Oprah. Thank you. My address is 52 Main St. Stoneham, MA 02180.

May 17, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ingrid

yes, when is the book coming out? am googling it now and not finding it!

April 1, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. BP

Any update on the when the book will release

March 24, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. Echo1510

Saw this yesterday. What a wonderful treat to see the entire cast. I loved it as a child and now I enjoy watching it with my children. Some of the songs are still being sung in preschools and kindergarten to this day. Love to see and hear my children singing along with the movie.

October 29, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Theresa

A classic. Look forward to watching Oprah tonight.

October 28, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Holly Golightly

I LOVE this movie! One of my all time faves! I watched it as a little child, growing up with my family, and I never tire of it! TSOM will always remind me of precious memories with my family! :)

October 28, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LL

DVRing this episode. Can't wait to watch it tonight!

October 28, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |