Rihanna: Chris Brown was a wake-up call
October 27th, 2010

Rihanna: Chris Brown was a wake-up call

If Rihanna seems like a happy woman these days, she has Chris Brown to thank for it. So says the pop superstar in the December issue of Marie Claire UK.

Despite her tumultuous relationship with 21-year-old Brown – who was sentenced to five years of probation and 180 days of community service for assaulting Rihanna in February, 2009 – the Barbados-born beauty says she has become a better and happier woman because of what she went through.

"God has a crazy way of working, and sometimes when stuff happens, you feel like, 'What did I do to deserve this?' 'Why was it backfiring on me?'" she tells the magazine. "But I needed that wake-up call in my life. I needed a turning point, and that's what God was giving to me."

That's not to say that ending her romance with Brown was easy. But Rihanna, 22, says she just realized one day that she had to let go.

"I remember I was in New York at the Trump Hotel and I woke up and I just knew I was over it," she says. "It was a different day. I felt different. I didn't feel lonely. I felt like I wanted to get up and be in the world. That was a great, great feeling."

In fact, she adds, "I feel like I smile for real this time. The smiles come from inside, and it exudes in everything I do."

Now Rihanna hopes that others in toxic relationships can learn from her experience. "All this terrible stuff they say to you, it breaks you down," she says. "[But] once you're back on your feet - if you ever make it back on your feet - that's the ultimate achievement."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Rihanna

1. Get Your Ex-Boyfriend Back By Texting Him - No Joke!!!

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on this. And he in fact bought me dinner simply because I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending some time to talk about this matter here on your web site.

February 8, 2013 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. social exposure

You actually make it appear so easy together with your presentation but I find this topic to be really one thing which I think I might by no means understand. It sort of feels too complicated and extremely extensive for me. I'm having a look forward in your subsequent put up, I will try to get the hang of it!

September 13, 2012 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Poetry

Wonderful paintings! That is the type of info that are supposed to be shared around the web. Disgrace on Google for now not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and seek advice from my site . Thanks =)

August 28, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. cheap hotel Brussels

I've been browsing on-line greater than three hours nowadays, but I never discovered any fascinating article like yours. It's lovely value enough for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the net shall be much more helpful than ever before.

July 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mika

Enough wit talkin bout this.its old now im sure that chris brown learned his lesson n the only reason y this is a on goin topic is cause he's a entertainter.remember he is still a human n we make mis-takes get over it.

January 8, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Truth

I agree with Piat. She can discuss it whenever she feels she needs too..but the timing of her discussing her "incident" with CB close to or around album release time is a bit obvious. I love both artist...but something tells me is she keeps discussing this with magazines...then shes really not over CB. In some ways he's making her money with this debacle. Her current relationship with Matt Kemp is a big fat Joke....no chemistry...but I guess he's there to fill a void...I don't think she's in love like she says she is....something is going on with Ri. But I hope she gets it together.

October 30, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thought

Enough already with this abuse nonsense. Her manager should stop using CB to push her non-talented music. She cannot sing to me, although a pretty girl like Britney Spears very untalented. Two wrongs do not equal a right, and besides kids fight. They were two rich kids having it all not knowing what else to do. Rhianna will grow up from this, Chris it may take some time because his peers wants to justify him abusing a woman. It's call inmaturity on both parts.

November 1, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lexxy is gareeeat.

Chris Brown sucks. I hate 'em.
    Go Rihanna! :)

October 29, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mejazzbo

So this is what you are now building your career on. How's that new release doing. Sounds like you are going for the sympathy sales rather than promoting talent.

October 29, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. JoeDC2011

you ALL dont have lives, LET THE SHI- GO IT'S OVER!! y'all are writing about this like it's gonna matter......GET A LIFE

October 29, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Marrisa

Ok, so we get it now... Rihanna, like nobody cares. You keep claiming that you are happy and that you have moved on, but since you keep talking about it, this is a big contridiction. I think you are just mad because Chris Brown is getting things popping and is the hotness right now. You need to wake up and get urself-EH, your voice-EH, and your stage performance together...EH!. You are not freakin Tina Turner, and Chris is not freakin IKE. LET IT GO!!!

October 29, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. joe

Getting the crap smacked out of you was a wake up call? Really? I never would have guessed.

Talentless poof should just stfu already. Her 15 minutes is almost up.

October 28, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. ChiChick

its sad that she has to bash him to promote her album, etc. he is crawling his way back without resorting to such tactics. thats why he will prevail and be a better person for it.

October 28, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mclark

Since Ri is talking again, can she talk on why she didnt attend her friend Katie Perry's wedding where she was supposed to have been a bridesmaid! Where do they do that at?

October 28, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. Chuck Taylor

You know, he was wrong for doing what he did, no excuse for it at all. But my mom use to tell my sister, "don't ever put your hands on anyone you don't want putting your hands on you". So I guess It was O.K. for her to hit him over the head with her heel before he even laid a hand on her, right?

October 28, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. Mystrall

When Oprah, Halle andd Teri Hatcher can continue to talk about their abusers from a million years ago it's seen as inspiration for other women in a similar situation. Rihanna discusses how she's dealing with something from just last year and somehow she's the evil one. I think you sorry excuses for women should quickly get used to the fact that Chris Brown is NOT interested in you, only your next cd and concert ticket purchase. Period. So blasting Rihanna will get you no closer to him. And ten years from now when probation is lifted, both have grown from their experiences and they are once again in each other's circles, don't all rush to jump off the nearest ledge because of his "betrayal" to you. Losers.

October 28, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. LEB

I hope Chris Brown has learned his lesson and never has anything to do with a violent abuse women ever again! He should've left her alone the first time she attacked him and it would have never gotten to this point.

October 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. SKY

FACT: FIRST LET'S AGAIN KEEP GOD OUT OF THIS.
    GOD DID NOT HAVE A MAN BEAT YOU SO
    YOU COULD BE A BETTER PERSON.
    WHEN YOU CLAIM TO BE A BIBLE READING CHRISTIAN
    AND RESPECT GOD, THEN YOU HAD BETTER LIVE THE
    LIFE. FORNICATION IS WRONG CHRISTIANS....

October 27, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  18. piat

I want to take the person who write this article to task because she is using one of Rihanna's quote out of context of the actual Marie Claire UK interview. I quote: "Now Rihanna hopes that others in toxic relationships can learn from her experience. "All this terrible stuff they say to you, it breaks you down," she says. "[But] once you're back on your feet – if you ever make it back on your feet – that's the ultimate achievement."

I read a PDF copy of the article and the part she is discussing " all this terrible stuff they say to you..." she is referring to the critics (media, public, etc.) for going so hard at her when she was going through the whole process. It was not about the relationship itself, rather what others on the outside said about her.

I do believe it is Rihanna's right to discuss the matter whenever she deems it appropriate but there is uncanny timing of when she talks about this incident and her promo tour for her album being released within 3 weeks.

October 27, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. amy

Rihanna is using DV to sell albums and am not buying it.

October 27, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Cowboy

Rihanna, the horse is dead. Stop beating on it.

October 27, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Karen

Although U have a right to say your peace try to erase the bad memories and create good one which may include not mentioning CB ever again.Better luck!!

October 27, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ali`

Im tired of her talking about chris brown everytime she gets the chance to. Its been 2 years, stop riding the sympathy train and move on and let chris do the same.

October 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  23. LEB

@DVUS I agree with everything you said! I am really starting to dislike her.

October 27, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  24. boocat

Both are talentless media w**res...NEXT!

October 27, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • aha

boocat must be a Justin Bieber / Taylor Swift fan.

October 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven Seagal

Why? Because he doesn't like this talentless hack? She's terrible and so is Chris Brown. Not everything hip hop turns to gold. Really, her stuff is beyond bad

October 27, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Witch

@Boocat..... Who is this "BOTH" that you're talking about? It must be the 2 faces that talentless wicked witch Rihanna has because Chris Brown has proven he has more class in his pinky than that devil rihanna has in her entire talentless body.

October 28, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  25. Nenns

Why are Chris Brown stans worried?! Rihanna is talking about her life and she has every right to! Obviously they are gonna ask her about it since her last album was all about it! Interviewers are gonna ask her what’s changed? How do feel now in comparison to then? blah, blah! Chris Brown can do well regardless! Deuces is doing good so is Yeah (3x)! Go and request/buy his music instead of worrying bout Rihanna cuz she ain’t worry bout Chris and neither is he worrying bout her! Y’all are just an insecure bunch! Believe in your boy and keep it moving!

October 27, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Emerson

Im so over this story... Learn how to perform and sing RiRi... and let Chris be.... This chick is really running this in the dirt... Im all for Chris..

October 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Angela

In my opinion, you are full of shi–. Abuse of any kind is wrong. Point Blank Period. Every time you get ready to come out with your new album (as this is the second time) you try to , oh no, you don't try to, you do, put Chris Brown down. Yet, you tell young girls if they are in a toxic relationship to get out, yet you make a song "Love the way you Lie", and you even stated that you were talking about CB. That is total contradictory. What kind of message are you sending to those involved in "toxic relationships". You always seem as if you want to savor up brownie points to sell your albums when the time is right for you. . If it is behind you, why can't you just leave it there. In the past , where it belong. Yes, CB was wrong, dead wrong. Not only has he taken responsibility for it, but accountability as well. It happened almost 2 years ago, but you NEVER TALK ABOUT IT UNLESS YOU HAVE AN ALBUM COMING OUT. You may garner some brownie points from others, but not from me. I did not like what happened to you, as domestic violence of any kind is wrong. He was a kid who made a huge mistake, and that does not make what happened excusable. It is in the past. You shedded light on what happened, but CB have yet to tell his side of the story. Ump!. He could have very easily smeared your name. He could have told his side and then some , but he didn't. He endured far more backlash than you ever did. He did not belittle you not once. Leave that hogwash right where it belongs–in the past. Get on with your future, and let CB get on with his. I wish you both well. If you want to gain some brownie points, go and do something for the betterment of mankind, like "charity work" or "talking to victims who are in domestic violence shelters in what you call "toxic relationships". Put your money where you mouth is!!!

October 27, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gale

Angela, I agree with you 100%. We did not hear from her while the abuse stories were in the papers, but as soon as her album was coming out, she did the television interview with Diane Sawyer. I could not watch it because it was just a publicity stunt. Now she has a new one coming out and she needs to bash Chris Brown again. I say, Rihanna, get over yourself. There are two sides to every story, and we have not heard his. Really, get some talent first. No, I do not condone domestic violence, but enough is enough. Do we have to be reminded everytime you put out new music? You have had two-three boyfriends since then, they all left you, talk about that and why. If we took a guess, would it be because you have a temper??? Anyway, he's moved on, why don't you.

October 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Chris Brown seems to have been the winner as far as I have seen. He seems to have moved on while she's still talking about him. You're right. He was absolutely wrong for the abuse, but she has to move on.

October 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • CB Blows!

He took responsibility?? How?? By fake crying on stage.... stomping his feet.... and making sounds that only a whale can understand?

CB.... your career is O V E R. You have the #1 single in the country right now, and you have NO RADIO AIRPLAY in any of the top 10 markets because nobody wants anything to do with you.

October 27, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • MeeeeTOO

Finally people that see through the bull. I hate that this happened but i hate that no one tried to help him too. He made a huge mistake but that little witch is not innocent. Furthermore I was soooo disappointed in Oprah that she didn't reach out to help the abuser get help. He's a kid...money doesn't make you mature. He made a mistake and is quietly trying to make ammends and pay his debt. But this little heffa won't let it die so she can sell records. I am so sick of her.

October 29, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. SaintPetersburg

so sick of her talking about this already. There's obviously a second side, to that story. No woman should be hit, but she must have done something wicked to get it...and it's a shame Brown couldn't speak on it, because the media would crucify him for attempting to vindicate his actions.

October 27, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • apple1

you must have grown up with abuse in your family SaintPetersburg to think she did something "wicked" to get it, you really need help.

October 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jmestrange

I agree apple1....there is never an excuse to become violent and physical with someone unless it is in self defense. Some people can not control their anger, I have seen it personally as a very young child. Even if she did taunt him, he needs to be a grown up and learn to deal with things in a better way.

October 27, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dvus

I'm so sick of this witch playing the "innocent victim" role. Get over it chick! We've figured out that Chris took the high road and ate the charges as well as the abuse his job took just to get past YOU! You were NOT in that car just sitting and texting and he starting wailing on you while he was driving. The populous is much smarter to know that you are a angry and violent woman. Except this time the real victim hit YOU back! I do NOT condone violence but the reality is ... it exists. Anyone has the right to defend themselves. We saw your pictures ... heard your cries ... witnessed your media filled "Oh I felt so helpless and confused that he would do me this way" ACT. What we really want to know is WERE ARE CHRIS'S PICTURES? He went to the hospital to be treated just like you. HE chose not to press charges against you although there was more than enough evidence to take you down with him. The entertainment business is a hungry beast along with its' side kick media monster. We've let you bash him long enough! Shut the f*&% up now. We're sick of you. We know you haven't stopped your evil angry ways. Next time you hit a man ... I hope it's his sister or mother that sends you running to the cops or hospital. I'm waiting to see what the media will do with that one. Prayers to the man willing to be involved with this psycho witch. On another note .... Chris Brown ... I don't know HOW you took this fiasco but I know it was probably harder than anything you've had to endure. I applaud you for accepting your responsibilities, owning the situation, using it to learn and grow.

October 27, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • LEB

@DVUS I agree!

October 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • mejazzbo

No doubt! It's a male bashing world out there.

October 29, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |