'It's the Great Pumpkin' rap, Charlie Brown
October 27th, 2010

'It's the Great Pumpkin' rap, Charlie Brown

If you haven’t already marked your calendars and set your DVRs for Thursday night’s airing of “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,” ABC has come up with a, um, "hip" way to remind you. As in, hip-hop.

In a “Pumpkin Rap” performed by “Charlie B and the Peanuts Posse,” a voice that we can only assume belongs to Charlie Brown's rhyming alter-ego tells viewers, “raking leaves and rolling on a pumpkin/trick or treat, then the party gets thumpin.’”

No, we’re not making this up.

Charlie B. continues the rap, “But where is Linus/this party is posh/he’s waiting in the field/for a mythical squash.”

It has been 44 years since the animated short first aired, so we suppose ABC had to find some way to keep it fresh...although we're not sure if this was the way to do it.

Filed under: television

« Previous entry
  1. SKY

FACT: RAP WORKS, IT APPEAL, TO YOUR CHILDREN.
    ITS ALL ABOUT "MONEY", RAP SELLS, ONCE YOUNG ONES ARE HOOKED THEY BUY THE MUSIC.
    WHICH IS SELF-DESTRUCTIVE, AND THE CLOTHES...IF CHARLE BROWNS LIKES RAP, IT MUST BE GOOD.
    THERE IS A FORCE BEHIND THIS, IT IS UNNATURAL, AND THIS IS WHY IT IS SO HARD FOR YOU TO
    UNDERSTAND, JUST WHY WOULD THEY TAKE A CLASSIC AND MAKE IT OFFENSIVE?
    WHAT WAS DONE IS VERY SERIOUS, I HAVE SEEN OVER THE YEARS, RAP MUSIC HAS
    BEEN DESTRUCTIVE TO MANY YOUNG ONES. FACT: THEY USED CHARLIE BROWN TO GET TO
    YOUR KIDS.

October 30, 2010 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. charlie brown mom

I can't believe it!!!! why would ABC do such a thing!!!! Charlie brown is a classic!!!! There's nothing more you can do to make it APPEAL to kids of today.... My daughter and I love Charlie Brown just the way he is... CLASSIC

Good Grief... in the words of charlie brown himself.....

October 28, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Schroeder

I can't stand it. I just can't stand it!

October 28, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sam

I can't view it!

October 28, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. 5cents

love the peanuts!!! i don't know why they have to ruin the old classics.....

October 28, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jay Kay

Maybe they can make The Little Rascals rap too... or how about Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello? They could find a whole new audience in this brave new century!

October 28, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. SoundOff

Next thing you know there'll be a live action movie with a stupid plot and so so actors who look or act nothing like the original characters. I mean look what happened with Scooby Doo! AND it will probably be in 3D!

October 28, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. nicnic

Absolute sacrilege.

October 28, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. Loren

What a piece of &rap. If it wasn't amateurish at best, it might have been an acceptable bit of advertising, but it was so bad, it was offensive.

October 28, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. CrazyJohnnyNoname

Sacrilege. If you're tired of the classics, retire them. Don't paint them with the malodorous brush of whatever happens to be 'hip' today. There's plenty of places for rap & hip-hop, but Peanuts is not one of those places. Word.

October 28, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. Holly Golightly

Hmmm...not sure how I feel about Charlie Brown being adulterated by modern music, but I still love him! :)

October 28, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. cade1957

It had to happen sooner or later. While they are at it, why don`t they draw him with a baaseball cap turned backwards and a pair of britches hanging down around his knees? A touch of bling hanging around his neck would just set off the outfit. Joe Cool is next!

October 28, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. Rusty

ABC has cut so much from the Charlie Brown specials that I don't even recognize them anymore. All for more commercials. I have the Blu-Ray version at home, which has all the original minutes from 44 years ago. It comes out every year with the Halloween decorations, and I watch it with the kids when ABC airs their version. Best with no commercials and no parts cut out.

October 28, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. Double take

When I first heard the commercial last night I couldn't believe it. I said, "Did Charlie Brown just say 'Word'"?? It kind of ruins it for me.

October 28, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. AliMoonGoddess

I hate it. Charlie Brown doesn't need to rap. Just seems like they are trying too hard to make it relivant to modern kids. Whatever, its Charlie Brown. Keep it simple & orginal or maybe add some modern music in the background.... but don't make HIM rap.

October 28, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  16. practical

I can understand them wanting to make it more modern. However, most of the children ten and under could care less about rap. Not to mention that these days kids ten and over are watching things like 16 and pregnant and will have no desire to watch charlie brown no matter how much he raps. And popular music is not only rap music. So I think it was a pretty silly move. There are tons of other ways they could have updated it without making it something its not. I know my three year old isn't going to watch it because charlie brown says "yo" ... he will watch it for the same reasons I watched it as a kid. Its cute its fun and its classic.

October 28, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  17. JimmyJam

I love Charlie Brown! Even if he can't rap all that well. YO!

October 28, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  18. SKY

FACT: IT WON'T STOP.....HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW SUPERMAN?
    WHY DID THEY MAKE HIM LOOK EVIL?
    NOW YOUR KIDS WILL WANT TO BE LIKE HIM.
    NOW THEY GOT CHARLIE BROWN....
    THEY I MEAN WICKED SPRIT ANGELS THAT ARE ON
    THIS EARTH, NOW I SAID IT AGAIN.
    I AM NOT LYING...I KNOW I SOUND CRAZIE.
    EVER WONDER WHY MORALS & VALUES ARE SO LOW....
    EVER WONDER WHY THE MEDIA IS BEHIND IT....
    PLEASE PARENTS PROTECT YOUR CHILDRENS.
    WATCH THEIR ASSOCIATION. DON'T LET TV BE
    THEIR BABYSITER. I COULD SAY SO MUCH MORE
    BUT FOR NOW I WILL JUST STICK TO TELLING THE
    TRUTH.

October 27, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Shrike

LEAVE CHARLIE ALONE! He's given us years of innocent joy, and you just keep asking for MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE!

October 27, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Steven Seagal

Way to ruin a classic by dumbing it down for the hip hop masses. How stupid. Did they change the diaglogue to Ebonics too?

October 27, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • michaelc

Absolutely ridiculous. Kids are kids, and we are fueling this. We don't need to change it to hip hop just to get kids to watch. Come on! It's gotta stop. If Charles Schulz saw this, he'd flip his lid. I actually look forward to shows like these during the Holidays, to share with my kids. But honestly, when things like this happen, we don't watch then anymore. Just like the MTV music awards–can't let kids watch that anymore either. I am not going to let my kids grow up like some of the kids these days. My children will learn morals, values, and respect towards others. Heck, most of the kids don't even have to do chores anymore. We are dumbing down our kids, and it's our fault. And I'm not a radical liberal, or radical conservative. I am an honest, hard-working middle-class citizen.

October 27, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • I got a rock

Its a commercial !!! Get off your soapbox long enough to notice ITS A COMMERCIAL. I was all set to start yelling blasphemy (since I was raised on Charlie Brown) but I thought about it and realized that the kids I know aren't going to be interested in 2D cartoons with characters they only see a couple times a year. Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, times have changed and there aren't many kids reading Peanuts in the newspaper everyday. In other words... Charlie Brown is not a big deal anymore. Take away their Pokemon and you will have problems though.

If you do sit down and watch with your kids, you are the exception not the rule and I applaud you. The networks want to get kids to WANT to watch shows so the 80% of the kids whose babysitter is the tv will choose to watch on their own. Sad commentary but the few parents that will sit down with the kids and watch this classic are not enough to pay the bills. When old Chuck "Busts a Rhyme" in the middle of "Christmastime is here" (wrong show, I know) then I will start my protest. I don't really understand how a commercial dumb's down anything.

Btw,, Segal – I'll attribute your ebonics comment to ignorance.

October 28, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  21. karla

Whoo, Hooo??? Charlie Brown, look out Stewy and Peter you can't compete with the Great Pumpkin.

October 27, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. fratboy

i did't like it dude ain't hood

October 27, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |