'Hangover' director: Tyson will return for sequel
October 27th, 2010

'Hangover' director: Tyson will return for sequel

"Hangover" director Todd Phillips doesn't mind at all that Mike Tyson said he did the movie for drug money.

"I love that quote!" Phillips told Details magazine in their November issue. "But I didn't really understand the logic behind it. He said he wanted to bootleg the DVD but then it became an international hit. You'd think he'd make more money bootlegging it in that case."

Read the full interview with 'Hangover' director Todd Phillips

Phillips reveals in the interview that Tyson - who you can see here in a cuddly photo-op on iReport - will definitely be back for the hit film's sequel along with other tidbits, like how he really, really wanted to tase star Zach Galifianakis.

"We had a stunt guy do it, and then we showed Zach the tape," Phillips said. "He almost vomited.”

'Hangover' star Bradley Cooper in DETAILS

The director is also connected to a planned biopic about comic legend John Belushi. Phillips told Details he's not worried about his film, in light of the failure of the earlier biopic, "Wired."

"Belushi is the funniest guy ever; that movie wasn't funny," Phillips said. "His spirit was irreverent, something I love and revel in myself. We want to make sure the film respects that."

1. Anthony

Mike Tyson I think really has got it together... Good luck!

November 5, 2010 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jo

Mike Tyson is awesome......he says wat he wants and thats great....... at least hes honest............

November 3, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. eula

Tyson will be back, but Gibson is gone. Too bad.

=======================
    "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." -Don Vito Corleone, Godfather (1972)
    Watch movies online for free here:Movies Online

October 28, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jason coberly

Doin a movie for drug money. awesome!

October 28, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. HoseBag

Truth of the matter is that I have found most of Mel Gibson's movies pretty entertaining and enjoyable. Like most actor's or entertainers, I could care less about there personal life or opinions. I watch or go to movies strictly for the entertainment. I tend to disagree with alot of there political opinion's, and find many of them narcissistic and uninteresting except for there ability to make a good movie. I was disappointed in the first movie and didn't really think it was that funny. When I heard Mel was going to be in the second movie, I thought hey this could be an improvement and would have watched just for that reason. Now I may not. I could care less if he bi*** slaps his wife. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to stick around and enjoy his money.

October 28, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Vertical Sleeve Man

So whywould he say he wants Tyson a rapist but not Gibson for speech?

Come on sheeple, either he's offended by Gibson or more likely he said it as a publicity stunt.

Look at all the comments about it.

October 28, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jon

I nearly peed my pants the first time I saw the scene where Galifinikis is sitting next to Tyson while they're watching the security video of him urinating in the pool.

October 28, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. chopper

Maybe Tyson will eat Gibson's ears. That would be cool.

October 28, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mrb

Those women in Tyson's life knew he was volitile and was out to get him from the jump. He surrounded himself with people who didn't have his best interest in mind. Gibson on the other hand wasn't ever casted into that light until he put himself there by saying what he said which made him a chauvinistic pig and a bigot and to me that's 10 times worse.

October 28, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Yes, Mike Tyson was a helpless victim who just had no ability to make choices for himself. Please. This is hypocrisy pure and simple.

October 28, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. gabon

Yeah yeah yeah mel cant say anything in front of tyson that why is not in the movie the director doesnt wont him to come drunk on set one day and use racist words in front of tyson cause things will go down and nobody will be able to stop tyson when he will be kiking mel ass not even security so u have to give it to the diretor lawsue naaaaah

October 28, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rob

Okay, so the bigot is out but the rapist is in? Go figure.

October 28, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mike

So a convicted rapist and drug addict (and not a good actor) can be in the movie, but a long-time accredited actor who said some stupid things while drunk and breaking up with a girlfriend can't? Hypocrisy at its finest.

October 28, 2010 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. tonio

All yall need to mind yall damn business.

October 28, 2010 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  14. dude

Tyson is funny as hell. And Mel, he's actually a good actor. Hey, will Tyson have his tiger this time.

October 28, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff

Didn't they say a few months ago on here Hangover 2 was going to be about 4 women this time? Anyway it will be a bomb either way they go most sequels are.

October 28, 2010 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  16. Bill

Well Tamra, Tyson was convicted of a jury of his peers. There are plenty of other ladies who have said that Tyson is not a gentle soul.

October 28, 2010 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  17. tamra

I love Mike..give him a break...wife beater..please total crap and rapist you must be kidding that was a total frame up to get money..she knew just what was gonna go on in that hotel room when she went up....

October 28, 2010 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  18. Bill

So a convicted Zach is cool with a convicted rapist known to be abusive to women, and has a problem with Mel Gibson. Good set of priorities.

October 28, 2010 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  19. pw

Mel couldn't even say a racist rant right

October 28, 2010 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  20. StarLuna

Wow, that's cool.

October 28, 2010 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  21. deez

I think what we need to remember is that Tyson isn't even an actor.. he's more a guest or an extra.. I don't see anything wrong with the man trying to make some money, but as for Mel.. he's an actor.. worthy of critique as all other real actors.. sure he made mistakes because afterall he's HUMAN, but I'm sure there will be other opportunities for him.. hey, perhaps even in the near future people will slowly forget about Zach, the one bearded dude on the Hangover.. but not Mel.. he's here to stay :)

October 28, 2010 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  22. Obama

Lol. A convicted rapist is cool to be in a movie but a guy who makes racist statements is not? Someone point out the logic to me.

October 28, 2010 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  23. Mclark

Whos gonna bring the popcorn?

October 28, 2010 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  24. master bayshun

Gibson is proved right about these Hollywood Jews. No wonder everyone hated them! They keep Palestine as hostages,monopolize the media and they stink. Big ups tyson. Mel they can try to hold u down but u still have a crew.

October 28, 2010 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  25. Jimmy

Can't wait for the movie to come out! The first one was hilarious and I'm sure this one will be the same. As far as Tyson goes I applaud him for being honest. He said why he did it and that's more then a lot of people would do. Good luck to him turning his life around for the seventh time! As far as Mel, too early to call. Too many varying reports as to what he has said or done. As far as him being kicked out of this movie, I don't care. Its the directors baby and he can have in it whoever or do whatever. That's the beauty of movies. If you don't like it or don't want to see it then DON'T SPEND YOUR MONEY ON A TICKET!! There is a real novel idea folks. Here is an example, when Michael Jacksons movie came out guess who didn't even waiste a dime on it? Yup this guy, and that's the idea!

October 28, 2010 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  26. Oglevee

Kinda sad, Mel was actually gonna do this movie if they accepted him. Can't shine up a turd ppl. Think I'll stay home and watch Sons of Anarchy. WooHoo

October 28, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  27. Adrian Zupp

So Tyson is okay but Mel Gibson is too much of a lowlife?? Shouldn't it just be about making a good movie? I don't get it.

October 28, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  28. Gail Simon

P.S–Uh to add to the hypocrisy–"The Hangover" movie series is one that promotes alcohol and drug abuse–physical violence, misogyny, gambling, smoking, cheating on your significant other etc etc....
    Phillips and particularly Zac Galafianakis–need to apologize publicly to Mel Gibson and re-cast him–and an even better idea would be to replace Galifianakis w Gibson–Id DEFINITELY pay to see that!

October 28, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  29. MichFlaGuy

Sequels always suck...and this one will too. Can you say "Caddyshack 2"

October 28, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  30. Grit

Mel would've been great.

October 27, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Nick

As much as I love the first Hangover, Tyson actually fit into that story in a sense. If the story is supposed to take place in Thailand, Tyson's magically gonna be there too? I hope this doesn't ruin it, and before people get on me, Mel Gibson or not, this has the potential to be a disappointment

October 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  32. walmart employee

Yep.I didn't believe in the good ol' double standard either until I experienced it myself!

October 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Martin Scorcese

I hope Mike gets an Oscar

October 27, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  34. ALCOHTRAZ

All for 1 for all!

October 27, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jeff

So, the Hangover family is glad to have Tyson, a convicted rapist, but won't work with Mel, a name-caller. Yea. These guys will never achieve the amount of success that Mel has had in his career, and with their own bigotry and hypcracy, which they are apparently incapable of recognizing, they'll have a sooner and more complete ending to their careers. Good luck, boys, with your Hangover franchise. No one will remember it in 20 years.

October 27, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  36. john the enabler

Are you all seriously having a debate about the movie "the hangover"? Get real. We have much bigger problems than who's worse, tyson, or mel. Get real people.

October 27, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven Seagal

Yeah, there's a very serious and topical debate about whether fat people are disgusting pigs or not going on in another thread. Perhaps everyone should go over there and help the fat people lighten up.

October 27, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • BS

Glad to see you taking time out of your busy schedule curing cholera in Haiti to chime in on this thread...

These guys are so full of themselves they fail to see the irony in their casting. A convicted rapist and total thug is OK, but heaven forbid we cast somebody who has been a cinematic genious because he's had a rough patch in his life, and drank too much and may or may not have been in a mutually abusive relationship with a Russian.

October 28, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  37. Shrike

If you're going to deny ONE obviously whacked out actor, you should deny them ALL. But then where would our movies come from? What we should do, is make them ALL into drunk, abusive bigots! Force alcohol down their throats, systematically brainwash them. My oh my, what a beautiful Hollywood we would have. It would probably look a lot like the one we currently have. Golly.

October 27, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  38. blk24k

Let's see Convicted rapist,Wife beater,Cannibal(tried to eat a human ear) drug addict. Versus a drunk who may or may not have hit his wife. Hmmm dilemma lol I would rather see a actor in a movie then some washed up has been boxer!!!!!

October 27, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Name*Tony

So many crap movies out.This is not a good movie.And certainly not comedy.

October 27, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  40. fratboy

dowgie is ass wipe and he is in a wheel chair

October 27, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Dowgie

Can u believe squareball?

October 27, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  42. fratboy

i am zach personal aid he beats me with newpaper

October 27, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  43. robin givens

hangover a stupid movie, my ex-husband even stupid-er

October 27, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  44. becky

If they dont wont mel in there he wont be in it end of story dont no one care if you get mad and dont see the movie its a double standard no its not its jus cause he white obama gets treated with double standard everyday and you complaining about a damn movie

October 27, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

bahahaha... shut up and learn proper spelling/grammar before you spout off about obama and double standards. just a tip, when you say things like "it's because he's white/black" people are going to immediately tune you out; it is completely unintelligent.

October 27, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Judson Destine

Good show!

October 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Sam

I like mel i wish he made more movies and directed them at the same time.

October 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  47. monty

Mike Tyson was funny in the first one, zach made that movie. And if the director didnt want mel, so what. Its his movie. Im sure your boycotting of the movie is gonna make a big difference.

October 27, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Neptune

Zack and the Director are bigger biggots than Mel. At least Mel was drunk when he shot his mount off.

October 27, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Victor

Is it just me or is there a double standard as far as casting decisions go for this movie?

Tyson, a known wife beater and convicted rapist gets a second chance at stardom doing these movies, but Mel Gibson gets kicked to the curb because of some ranting phone calls and alleged abuses (none of the physical abuse accusations have been proven yet)?

How is this fair??!!!

October 27, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Victor

Agree entirely. Zack is giving honest and fair Jewish people a bad name, while he's the one who looks like a bigger bigot than Mel. I'd bet Zack had uttered a racist comment or two during his life.

October 27, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • mimi_nef

Tyson is free and clear. He served his time and his debt is paid.

I would never make him my friend or want to be around him (I am female), but his debt is paid.

Gibson, on the other hand... His drinking problem is not our problem; it's none of our business. He's chosen to be a drunk. However, his hatred of Jews and women (men who love women do NOT leave ranting, screaming misogynistic voicemails) have forever turned me off to him and his movies. How can you enjoy anything he does now?

I will never watch another one of his movies. If I would, the only thing I would be able to see/hear is his anti-Semitism and his misogyny. I won't be able to think of anything else.

October 27, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh...

A) Tyson served his time
      B) Tyson had to wait YEARS before anyone wanted anything to do with him.

October 27, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • beerad

Who said life was fair?

October 28, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  50. moni

I won't be watching this movie. I like the director and what he had to say about Mel Gibson, but why does one actor call the shots on who will or will not be in it. Who does this Zach guy think he is??? He really must think he is holier then thou... and the cast who gave into his rant against Mel Gibson can just count me out when it comes to seeing and paying for thier movie. Mel Gibson has a drinking problem folks. Lets hope he gets help with it, but he is not alone and stars don't treat them like they do him. It is ridiculas! Mel or Zack what an easy solution for me!

October 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • nike701

I'll tell you who he is. He is the guy that basically made the whole first hangover . So yea without his character there is no movie.

October 27, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • achmed fubar

A convicted Rapist is OK for BOTH films, but a guy who blows up at his Giant C of an ex-wife. OH NOOOOO, Can't have him in the film. Very disapointing.

October 28, 2010 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Wow, stop crying

I am sure you have never watched a tv show or watched a movie with some type of "criminal"

October 28, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  51. LL

Kinda sad that the director glorifying Tyson's quote. Tyson said it on "The View" and it wasn't said in a light tone – in fact, he was ashamed that he did the role for drug money and is really trying to clean himself up.

October 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  52. BlacBlouse

Love the Hangover! In other news, can't believe Tyson said that: he's interesting and funny.

October 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  53. cheefsfury

AWESOME LETS ENABLE TYSON TO DO DRUGS

October 27, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • mobrule

what a bunch of hypocrites, not surprised, it's ok to work with and enable a convicted rapist, but gibson goes nuts and says some nasty things and they refuse to work with him? take a stand if you want hollywood, just keep your hypocracy in check, morons.

October 28, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |