Elton John: Why I was Limbaugh's wedding singer
October 27th, 2010

Elton John: Why I was Limbaugh's wedding singer

Elton John made headlines when he performed at right-wing commentator Rush Limbaugh's June wedding to Kathryn Rogers, and now he is defending his decision to appear at the "I dos."

Limbaugh has a reputation for making anti-gay remarks, so, John tells the London Telegraph, "When he asked me to play at his wedding, my agent said, 'Well, of course you won’t be doing it,’ 'But I said, 'Well, let me think about that first.'"

And while John, who married partner David Furnish in 2005, is aware that Limbaugh is against gay marriage, he also notes, "so is President Obama. But Limbaugh’s not anti-civil partnerships, so [I thought] maybe I can have a dialogue about that. I’ve put my foot in the water and so has he."

Despite being so different, the two found themselves in perfect harmony on 59-year-old Limbaugh's big day.

"I got on with him very well, got on very well with his wife," says John, 63. "I don’t have the same politics, but that doesn’t really matter."

In fact, the music legend says, "I think this year I can start to put things in motion by trying to get him on my side."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Elton John • Music

1. spinpro

You know therefore considerably in relation to this topic, produced me for my part believe it from a lot of various angles. Its like women and men don't seem to be fascinated until it is one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs great. At all times deal with it up!

April 4, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John

Elton John is a class act! I remember him from my high school days and saw him recently in Pullman Wa. Who people love or don't is there own business. For me, I would travel far and long to see Sir Elton play. Cudois to Rush to have him perform at his wedding.

October 30, 2010 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joe

Bonesmuggler did it for the cash. I got no problem with that.

October 28, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. karla

October 27, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tom

What a load of ... He did it for the money and nothing else.

October 27, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dug

Headlines: Two unlike gays/junkies unite after sufficient money is exchanged.

October 27, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jitters

EJ has plenty of cash, and his royalties alone could support several people in lavish style. So it's doubtful he did it for the loot. As we can see, the speculation and puzzlement has continued. So maybe he's done what he wanted, and kept in the public eye a fact that everyone should confront and grow used to: People's choices about partners are theirs to make. And that there are all kinds of combinations–and it shouldn't matter enough that anyone would even bat an eye. Why anyone would mind someone else's business is hard to understand in the first place.

October 27, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TiffanyA.

Love can build a bridge, between your heart and mine, love can build a bridge, don't you think it's time, don't you think it's time?

October 27, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Roedy Green

This goes to show how dishonest Limbaugh is. He just says whatever makes money, no matter who it hurts, so matter how untrue it is. If Limbaugh truly believed his own blather he would not dream of hiring Sir Elton John.

In Christian terms Limbaugh has sold his soul for money. He has way more than he needs. He must hate himself. What a stupid way to build a life - on slandering innocent people.

October 27, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. monnie

have been an elton john fan literally for decades, but i don't think i'll ever get over the fact he sang for rush the limbag's wedding or had anything whatsoever to do with him, no matter what the lame reason; very poor form, elton

October 27, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kat

Nice try, Elton, but we all know that you did it for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

October 27, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SCOTO

Disgusting. Lost all respect for Elton John, a guy I had followed since the start of his carrer.

October 27, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. A in VA

It is amazing how Limbaugh who is a bigot, a racist, and hatemonger is always depicted as such a nice guy when people meet him in person. We just do not share the same political views, says John. News flash your views are not even close.

October 27, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mario

I like Elton John...I don't care for his life style but he got a million dollars for what...an hours worth of work...not bad wages if you ask me...he did the right thing. He kept politics and personal issues out and he did his job...Good man.

October 27, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gerold

Some people would do anything for money! Even Elton John!

October 27, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. frik

You want to know why he really sang at Limbaugh's wedding?
    Cash. Cold, hard cash. The same thing that makes sane people do insane things.

I hope Elton doesn't claim to be an advocate for the GLBT community because if he does, he just slapped them briskly across the face.

October 27, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Ron300

Elton did a smart thing, he is trying to start a dialoge with the person that is suppose to be his arch enemy...and as for the money, Elton is worth many many times more that Rush and does not need more money, so for all you hate mongers that don't have a single working brain cell in your worthless head, have a good life...

October 27, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • frik

LOL...start a dialogue by taking a lot of cash to perform a service for the guy in question?

He could have just as EASILY started a dialogue with Rush without the benefit of selling his soul. So now you have to take money before you can start dialogue and reach across the aisle?
      Don't think so. This speaks volumes about Elton...and not a whisper about gay rights for marriage.

Let's see where all of this 'dialogue' ends up.
      I believe it began and ended with the signature on the check.

October 27, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  18. frak

And this is a story because of why??? Oh, I see. It paints all 'moes as open minded and compassionate and anyone who thinks they're mentally ill freak-tards as haters. So it fits right in on CNN.

October 27, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Scylla

Good on you, Elton. I'm a fan, and I don't believe you're a sell-out for taking the gig. Just because there are some raging, frothing, horrible hateful anti-gay people out there, it doesn't mean that if you are gay, by default you must be nasty and hateful right back. In fact, being hateful and petty just gives them more ammunition. I'm pretty sure Elton's aware of his ability to influence at least a certain percentage of the public with his choices. This time, I think he made the right one.

October 27, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jay Barnett

Good for both of them.

October 27, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Denese

According to past statements he has made, Limbaugh's opinions lean towards the the highest bidder. Open your checkbook Elton. That will get you faster results.

October 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Chris

Ok. So many people here are upset (mostly liberals/left wing) about Elton John singing at Rush's wedding because of the principle of the thing. So if that's the case, why should they expect Conservatives to just go along with Obama on his policies? It's one of those "you should compromise for me, but I won't for you".

October 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. talisgeir

Maintaining open dialogue and friendliness so that there's a chance to change another person's view! That was the way things used to be handled. Thank you Elton for being a class act. Maybe others will model themselves accordingly and then, maybe, all of us with differing opinions (politics, issues) might just be civil with one another again instead of acting like immature high schoolers who can't get along. Real progress comes by changing peoples' minds not berating them into submission.

October 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rich

They found their common ground: hypocrisy.

October 27, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Joe

Maybe some of the girls from the view could learn something from Elton instead of calling women who happen to be from the right a "B!tch" just because they don't agree. But I doubt that. It's so much easier to call someone names instead of debate them and treat them with respect.

October 27, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  26. JC

"Why I sang for Rush?" Ermmm.... Because in addition to being a drug user it turns out that Rush is also secretly gay (come on; in a Hoover sort of way, that'd be hilarious).

October 27, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Tom K

It's not just "politics" with Rush. It's ethics, integrity and a decent respect for other human beings. I'm not saying Sir Elton did it for the money, but it he turned a blind eye to some stuff he ought to have taken into account.

October 27, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jeffbo

Another confused girl !

October 27, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  29. BG

Let's not forget - Elton is just as "close minded" as Rush. Elton is not going to change his ways either and become straight just because he did the concert, is he? Neither is necessarily all right or all wrong. As Rush said on his program, they both agreed to disagree. But that doesn't mean they can't be civil. I think that is what the Left fails to recognize a lot of the time (e.g. the Juan Williams episode), is that it is ok to disagree without demonization.

As a reformed Democrat, I'll have to say that my old Liberal friends were much more ready to castrate Conservatives than vice-versa. And man were they bother to find out that I had defected!

October 27, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo

You are very correct. Liberals are the first to come out and speak their beliefs and the first to toss out those that don't agree with them. I know many conservatives that could give a rats @ss what your beliefs are as long as you are respectful they will get along with you just fine.

October 27, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mike

why did he do it? Let me guess: money! I mean, it wasn't a benefit, right? He did it for the MONEY. Just because someone has a gift, doesn't mean they're not seriously messed up in other ways.

October 27, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Shawn Irwin

Anyone who says Elton did it for the money don't know jack **** about Elton . . . . he has made so much money from his music that it would not hurt him a bit to have said "no" to Rush. I am not gay, so it would not be fair for me to judge whether what Elton did was right or wrong, good or bad. As I understand it, Elton had a lot of trouble with his father, but in the end, they reconciled. Perhaps, being an optomist, he thinks that age will mellow Rush out too . . . . but I think that if that ever happened, it would be far to late to undo the damage already done by Rush. Bigotry is a learned behavior, and as long as there are plenty of teachers around like Rush, it will not be going away soon enough.

October 27, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  32. tomas

Elton, you are so full of bullocks, you did the wedding because you were going to get paid. Just come out and say that, it actually sounds better if you said "I did it for the money", but that you try to explain away you performing at that monsters wedding just make you look like a bad person.

October 27, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  33. EM

Elton, why did you sing for him? Elton: " 'cause he PAID me !!"

October 27, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  34. stepasidesue

It's none of my business what EJ does but as much as I love his music I can no longer listen to it.

October 27, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Tomoyo

The very thought of myself ever "getting on very well" with Limbo just... it boggles the mind. John must be some kind of superman.

October 27, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  36. V Saxena

Now that's what I call sanity! I might hate your political views, but I'll gladly attend your wedding. Just don't ask me to be best man! And if you dare ask me to be 'best lady,' umma KNOCK YOU OUT! lol

October 27, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. jlannefeld

Well of course, money was a consideration. For these ultra-rich celebrities, there is never enough! Greed is the consistent element in Hollywood – I just love it when they suggest that the hard-working stiff on the street should donate to their favorite charity or go green while they continue to rake in millions giving very little to charity and living a life style that expends energy beyond our comprehension. I refuse to buy their crap, it's that simple!

October 27, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jim from Colorado

It's always a shame when people let politics get in the way of their social life. Out here in Colorado there are so many people with different political beliefs, more so than anywhere else I have lived. If you start preaching your beliefs to the people around you, you run the risk of alienating yourself and some people take is so seriously that they won't want anything to do with you if they view things differently. I just keep my mouth shut (which I wish most people would do) and it's funny how people just assume you are liberal or a right winger if you don't argue with what they are saying.

Some people are just too hard headed to understand where people are coming from and take things personaly. If your friend is against gay marriage that doesn't necissarily mean they are a bigot and hates gays but they may feel that they have to listen to what their church is saying, ignorant as it may be, but try not to take it personally. If your friend wants the government to give amnesty to all illegal immigrants that doesn't mean that they want to give them your job and ruin your life, they may believe that it is the right thing to do since these people are not being supported in thier own country.

I think it is smart to keep your mouth shut about politics when around friends, coworkers and family. You never know who may be around the corner and will judge you. It is possible to be friends with people of different beliefs it just takes a little intelligence and some understanding. Too bad so many americans think they are so correct and the other side is so wrong and can't see that it isn't just black and white, that there are grey areas everywhere. Take George W. Bush and Barack Obama for example, I think they are both horrible presidents and they are both polar in the political spectrum but I think I would enjoy having a beer or two with either one of them.

October 27, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Cinemalogue

You do realize that whatever he got paid would end up getting donated to charity. He made that pledge to commit all his proceeds to charity some years ago. So sure, why not take money from the Right Wing and reappropriate it toward AIDS research or other causes the Right would never support?

But I suspect that Sir Elton's motives were actually what he says they were. What the hell is a million dollars to him?

October 27, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • marty

Just a clarification, Prez G.W. Bush asked for and distributed more U.S.aid to African AIDS organizations for the eradication of AIDS than any President before or since. The right does indeed support programs that actually take money and use it to help people-not those who take money and use it for political gain or their own elevated status. This is one thing everyone should thank Bush for, but I know some of you will choke on that. That really is too bad because that is still a much needed program, and Bush deserves credit for getting it right.

October 27, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • BillinCA

Few years ago, a professor at an university (I think it was UCLA, but not 100% sure) did a study on who donates more. To his surprising (he admitted he was a lefty in the article) the conservative people were the ones that out donated the people who were considered as liberal. And it wasn't even a close "race". So I wouldn't make blank statements like you did.

And yes, President Bush is the one that fought for doubling foreign aid for aids in Africa. He did this a few times in his presidency. If I recall correctly, the figure ended up to be $5 billion dollars in his last offer. President Clinton didn't even come close to that. And last I heard, President Obama hasn't matched it, at least not yet.

October 28, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  40. Vivian M.

".....oh, and he paid me a huge sum of cash, which, of course, had nothing to do with my decision to perform."

October 27, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Eric Nicolas

And of course the $1,000,000.00 fee didn't hurt any.

October 27, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Smart-Alex

Why is it anyone's business, except Elton John's,why he agreed to do Limbaugh's wedding. It's not yours or mine. (and by the way, can any of you provide an audio copy of anti-gay comments made by Limbaugh?) "He has "reputation" for making anti-gay remarks? Lets hear them.

October 27, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Steve

Limbaugh's no more against gay marriage than Obama – but none of you would be mad if Elton played at the Obama's. Hell, Obama had a tribute to Broadway at the White House – what's gayer than that?

October 27, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  44. BillinCA

Whatever the reason was, it was the right thing to do. It shows there is tolerance on both parties. Rush for inviting him and John for accepting. In today's political world, there isn't much of that going on.

October 27, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  45. CMC

It was all about the benjamins and nothing else. It's nice that he's now saying "let's meet half way", but why did it take him so long to say this? Limbaugh makes a lot of money saying anti-gay things and his wedding singer from 5 months ago isn't going to change his mind about it.

October 27, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  46. jeff

Want to know how you get on Rush's good side? You walk 3 blocks and turn left!

October 27, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Mike

To all who said he did it for the money. He has all the money he needs. He did it for the reasons he stated which is commendable. People don't realize superstars are just ordinary people in extraordinary situations.

October 27, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  48. dwighthuth

I think Rush Limbaugh has finally come out of the closet by having Sir Elton John serenade him with his song.

October 27, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  49. JZ

Good for John for not making every iota of his life have to flow through a political filter. He's happy with 'live and let live' unlike so many today who are so forcefully trying to make others adhere to their own beliefs.

October 27, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  50. keeth in cali

Elton must be getting senile. There's no way Limbaugh will ever embrace gay marriage. He makes too much money and has too much power due to his hate speech to give it all up for Elton. Jeez, how dim can you get?

October 27, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Joe

People, Elton doesn't need money. Seriously, $1 mil means nothing to him. I applaud him for being open-minded and wanting to create a dialogue with Rush, but he's being Naiive. Rush is stubborn and won't change his mind. I think it's a good thing he did it, and he is a bigger man than I. Still, I wouldn't have gone to Rush's wedding.

October 27, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • LanceH

I would say that given Rush's pain killer addiction he prolly now understands that addiction is not just a matter of weakness and that truly anybody can be addicted to something.

October 27, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  52. JP

Elton is a worse liar than Rush, he did it for the million bucks he was paid, nothing more.

October 27, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. JR

Geeez, Elton really is as dumb as everyone says.

October 27, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Liza

I think Elton's got himself in a pickle here.

October 27, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  55. lance corporal

love eltons music, will never understand the man

October 27, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Sly

Elton John: Open-minded or opened-bank account?

October 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Suzie Scott

That will never happen.Rush will never convert to Johns ways of living....never....he doesn't approve and that is that.

October 27, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Dan

It took him over four months to come up with an excuse? Wow. Elton. Must've been paid very well.

October 27, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • DanielMyBrother

It would've been sooner but he had to wait for Bernie Taupin to write his words for him.

October 27, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Joe Blow

He did it for $$$$$$$$$

October 27, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  60. JMC

Thank you Elton John for setting a wonderful example for the rest of this country to follow. Two people can have totally different opinions/viewpoints/political positions and still be civil and work together. Wow, Hollywood should pay attn, if so, Mel Gibson may still have a job!!

October 27, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

This is also evident in the relationship between Limbaugh and Seth McFarlane, the creator of Family guy. While McFarlane is pretty obviously left in his viewpoints, he has had a civil relationship with Limbaugh and has had the latter be a guest voice several times on his show.

October 27, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Greenlee

Yeh JMC...so many other comments are so nasty and mean spirited. It is nice to see someone that is not negative. I think the world of both entertainers and I disagree with both on many issues. That does not mean someone "sell's out" or is a jerk if they associate or support someone just because I do not agree. Civil, balance, appreciation of others opinions seems to be lost on so many Americans.

October 27, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Crazy Water

Rush already discussed this on his radio show. Why is this news again? And as for the million dollar payday? Rush said that all of the numbers being reported are flat out wrong.

October 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

This not only was discussed on the Limbaugh show, but Elton John already made this a point in the news several months ago. Is this really that slow of an entertainment news day?

October 27, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  62. cheefsfury

HE WAS AT THE PLACE CUZ IT PAYED HIM ALOT AND HE IS A SELL OUT

October 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • JD1432

WHAT? WE COULDN'T HEAR YOU?

October 27, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • john mayer fan

I completely agree. Elton John is a total sell out. I wouldn't pay a dime to see him.

October 27, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beavis

Wait - someone labeled "john mayer fan" is calling another musician a sell-out? Riiiiiiiiight...

October 27, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  63. B=Dog

He did it for a lot of reasons..... He has an open mind... and he probably got paid a cool mil.

October 27, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  64. sassysticks53

Good luck with getting Limbum on your side, LOL!

October 27, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Vivian M.

I watched halfway assuming at some point this vid got funny. It did not. Why post such drivel?

October 27, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  66. D

Well I tried to watch about 20 seconds of that, to 'Tea Party' for me.

October 27, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Yeah, I Sieze It

That's hilarious! Hilarious or truly terrifying. Terrifying that there are real people like that out there.

October 27, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |