Arguments and engagements on 'Parenthood'
October 27th, 2010

Arguments and engagements on 'Parenthood'

On last night’s “Parenthood,” Crosby and Jasmine started telling people they're engaged, beginning with their son, Jabbar. The 6-year-old, however, does not care.

But when they announce they’re getting married at the family dinner, Jabbar finally became excited when he heard he’ll get to wear a tux. Kristina said to her future sister-in-law Jasmine, “Welcome to crazy town!” 'Cause getting involved with the Braverman family isn't easy.

Case in point: Joel and Julia. Joel was heading off to a construction job for I think the first time since the show started. Later he called Julia from the job site, interrupting her meeting with the law partners to talk about an emergency that would keep him from picking up Sydney.

Julia made a good effort to be the supportive spouse, but I’m sure she’s going to blow soon. The next day, he needed to drop Sydney off at Julia's office after school. I don’t know what all the discussion and tension was about. Do what other working parents with two careers do: Get a sitter, or make arrangements with your two retired, nearby parents to cover emergencies.

Joel did end up calling grandpa Zeek, which was a fine solution. But Julia took exception to the bucket ‘o’ fried chicken and soda he brought Sydney for dinner. Honestly, Julia’s beginning to bug me. If he has a job where he’s going to be late, woman up and make some arrangements or at least be happy that he handled it himself and didn’t interrupt your law partner meeting again. And when they discuss/fight about it, she brings up that she bills $600 dollars an hour? Seriously, check into an after-school program or get a nanny.

Meanwhile, Sarah was grounding Amber for going to the drunken frat party. Sarah said she’ll tell Kelsey's mom if Kelsey doesn’t. Amber was nearly in tears worrying , trying to explain how Kelsey doesn’t have the same kind of relationship with her mom and convinced Sarah not to tell just yet. Kelsey didn’t tell and made up a story about the party.

When Sarah heard that from Kelsey's mom she was caught off guard and ended up telling her what really happened. And - I could see this one coming a mile away - the mother who doesn’t know her kid gets drunk and smokes pot blames the kid who doesn’t. More tears from Amber, since Kelsey is her only friend.

Gordon/Boss Baldwin wanted Adam to come up with a layoff list. He offered to take Sarah on his trip to L.A. While he’s wooing Sarah, he’s riding Adam. She walked in right after Boss Baldwin gave Adam a hard time about the layoffs, and asked his opinion about her seeing Gordon. He told her the truth, which was basically that he’s a womanizing jerk. Sarah seems just intent on causing herself problems. She’s an intern trying to date the boss even though her brother - who’s known him for 15 years - tells her he’s a user. How many more reasons does she need not to date the guy?

Haddie went with Camille to volunteer at a center for the homeless, and the guy who runs the place was snide for no particular reason. Again, I could see this one coming a mile away; he doesn’t think much of the high school kids who come by to do their community service time for their college applications. The chip on his shoulder is extra large because his family used to come to the center to eat when he was a kid.

Does anyone else think Julia needs to get over herself and sit down with Joel to make a real plan for Sydney after school care? And what about Sarah? She seems like she's exercising bad judgment to be trying to date Boss Baldwin just in general, not to mention after she was warned by her brother. Tell us what you think!

Post by:
Filed under: Fall TV • Parenthood • television • TV recaps

1. p jane

Yep, I yelled at the TV, "Find an after-school program!"

October 29, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Winter

I love love love the show. I have to PVR it though. I missed almost the whole season but I've watched all of season two (except for the one b/c the feed was extremely poor).
    I'd be sad to let it go, but I do agree with remy.
    I finally found a tv show that I can watch from week to week on regular cable. If it goes, I might as well just get rid of my TV.

October 28, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. remy

I love the show but 5 minutes in its the same stuff over and over, the characters never change or grow, it can be phoned in week after week.
    zeek will be aloof
    grandma will be moping and sighing
    julia will act as if its all about her
    max's mom will act as if her son's challenges are only hers to bear and that she need make him a poster child for it
    max's dad will avoid for another week telling her to STFU and quit being a martyr
    sarah will agonize over some other inane decision for the whole hour including commercial breaks, I mean seriously did you not grow up during gilmore girls ?

there you go a new episode for next week, where's my royalty check ?

October 28, 2010 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Gina

You "love" the show, but have nothing but negative comments about it? Why are you bothering?

October 28, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. cande

how completely and totally awesome is mae whitman.

October 28, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Natalie

This is the only show I watch when it airs. The rest I record and I'm two weeks or more behind in watching those. I can totally relate to Parenthood. I do agree that Julia is a bit anal and just way overboard. Her freaking out that her five or six year old wanted to dress as a beauty pageant contestant for Halloween was insane and I think Joel needs to have something he enjoys doing besides watching his daughter (which he does like to do-loved it when he taught the kids to sand blocks at school). Sarah shouldn't date the boss. I'm a bit worried that something might happen to Adam's job. I'm not sure why. Just a feeling. Please keep this show on the air.

October 27, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jessica

I love this show! I love everything about it! My husband and I sit down on the couch every Tuesday at 9 and we watch it together. We've seen so many similarities with characters on the show raising their own children, and the struggles we've gone through or foresee going through with our own daughter.

It's a touching, funny, and heartwarming show and I would miss it terribly if it were taken off the air!

October 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. moni

I love the show Parenthood, including it's theme song and all the characters. I do think that Julia and Joel will get a nanny, it is only practical.
    I hope this show stays on, I read it is on the danger list of shows to go off. They have first class actors on and the story lines are great. I guess it's only hurdle is The Good Wife on cbs at the same time slot. I just record that one.

October 27, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |