How much of a 'time warp' will there be on 'Glee'?
October 26th, 2010

How much of a 'time warp' will there be on 'Glee'?

[Editor's Note: If you're extra sensitive to spoilers, stop reading now.]

What will happen when a cult classic collides with a part of the zeitgeist?

Viewers will find out on Tuesday night when “Glee” takes on the “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” as a theme. Gleeks are all abuzz about the episode, timed to make the most of the Halloween season.

So how, exactly, is that going to work given the risqué content of “Rocky Horror”? Not that “Glee” hasn’t been known to push the boundaries a bit (like having two female cheerleading characters in bed exchanging “sweet lady kisses,” or having another student get caught pleasuring himself), but the film classic is a bit more out there.

The episode’s director, Adam Shankman, recently told TV Guide that he was brought in to tone things down a bit.

"Everything I touch turns 'family,' no matter how risqué it is," he said.

And there are a few changes in the “Glee” version. For instance (spoiler alert!), Frank-N-Furter is no longer a transvestite, but played by female glee club member Mercedes.

Shankman added that the number "Touch A Touch A Touch A Touch Me," which in the movie is portrayed by an underdressed Susan Sarandon, gets reworked into a number with teachers Emma and Will. The director said the song takes on a different resonance because "Emma this season is exploring her boundaries, so there's context."

Plus, "I'm not staging it with his hands on her boobs,” he said. “She's not in a bra. It becomes fine."

Reportedly one of the show’s major plot points will be whether a high school should mount a production of “Rocky Horror.” What do you think? Will “Glee” do “Rocky Horror” justice? Let us know in the comments or submit an iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television

1. Malori

you all are being too critical. i absolutely LOVED the creativity of last nights show and the fact that they didnt try and do an exactly copy of rocky horror. they made it fit the show. last nights show was AMAZING! end of story.

October 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Feeniegal

It was ok. I really found it hard for the first time not to flip between other channels while watching last night. But I do love GLEE.

October 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jack

Too harsh! It was fine. It was fun.

October 27, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. Caroline

I was also disappointed that the lyrics were changed, but then again alot of the show revolved around how inappropriate people the show was for the students to do in general. And I thought for a hot minute they were going to ask Sue to step into the role of Frank-N-Furter. Not that Sue would actually do it, but to see her in full costume would have been hysterical. In gerneral it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Not like the Madonna episode.

October 27, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. longing

I am a gleek and also love Rocky Horror so there was no way I was going to miss the episode. For the most part I loved it. My one complaint would be the way Quinn sang Time Warp.....it was too high. Magentas part should be sung low and goulish.

October 27, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I agree about Quinn...she had no business playing Magenta. Santana and Brittany were great as Magenta and Columbia. Kurt was a good Riff Raff, too.

October 27, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. Phil

I listened to the soundtrack and, as much as I enjoy Glee, they should have skipped this idea if they weren't able to do the songs as written. I am far less offended by the idea of Mercedes as Frank than I am by the way they watered down the lyrics. If it couldn't be done right, it shouldn't have been done at all.

October 26, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gina

I agree completely. I was very disappointed by the way some of the lyrics were changed around. I could easily have lived with Mercedes as Frank if they hadn't screwed with the song.

October 27, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. Greggie

I'm a total fan of the show but the changes are making me question whether on not I should expect a quality showing. Why make Mercedes be the Iconic Frank-N-Furter when Kurt could have made magic in the role? I understand that the episode is set to air on network television but come on... bigger risks have been taken on less entertaining shows. While I will still be watching... I'm not going to hang the hopes as high.

October 26, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sean

I'm a huge gleek and I will for sure be watching tonight! I love how they gave "Touch A Touch A Touch A Touch Me" to Emma...it's perfect for her germaphobe-virgin character. The only thing that disappoints me is the same thing others are griping about and that's Mercedes as Frank-N-Furter. As twisted as the role may be, it's belongs to a man! I've already seen a preview and it appears that on the show, Mike Chang volunteers for the role...I guess we'll see why he doesn't get it. Other than that, I already have tonight's songs and they sound amazing! Can't wait :)

October 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Posh-Kenneth

I'm glad its not a 100% redo. That would just be a travesty. THough i dont like that frank-n-furter is a woman... despressing choice.

October 26, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Greg

I agree 100% with Nicole. I was going to watch my first episode of Glee due only to the Rocky Horror homage but it appears that is will be tamed down too muc to be bearable.

October 26, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nicole

I was so excited for this... I've never watched a single episode of Glee but I am a huge Rocky Horror fan and was definitely going to tune in. Unfortunately, I am now COMPLETELY turned off to the idea... In no way will Glee do it justice!

October 26, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dylan

It's a good thing you guys didn't tune in, this was an absolute piece of trash. I love this show and I'm tempted to stop watching it if they're going to be putting out this kind of television.

October 27, 2010 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |