'South Park' creators apologize for stealing lines
October 25th, 2010

'South Park' creators apologize for stealing lines

Last Wednesday, "South Park" parodied the box office hit, "Inception." Funny stuff, and very similar in tone to a lot of their parodies, but not exactly new ground.

According to the New York Times, not only was it old ground but the show stole entire lines from a Collegehumor.com parody of the movie, and publicly apologized for it on Friday.

"South Park" co-creator told the paper that they actually called the creators of the parody video personally, including Dan Gurewitch, who had accused them of plagiarism on his blog. "It’s just because we do the show in six days, and we’re stupid and we just threw it together."

Lines like, "Sometimes my thoughts of my dead wife manifest themselves as trains," were word-for-word from the original parody, which Stone said was used as a reference point for the episode.

He went on to explain to the Times, "We thought their joke was that a lot of those lines were actually in the movie, and they were banging them against each other, and showing that the ‘Inception’ characters didn’t even know 'Inception.' That was a mistake, and it was an honest mistake."

Why didn't Stone and co-creator Trey Parker check the movie itself? They say they were unable to find it in theaters, or anywhere else for that matter.

As for Gurewitch, he wrote on his blog that all was forgiven after his conversation with Stone, and he plans to meet with the "South Park" pair soon.

What do you think about this? Does this make you think differently of Stone, Parker and "South Park?" Do you believe their explanation that it was an "honest mistake?" (It wouldn't be the first time an animated series has been accused of stealing material.) Share your view on video or in the comments below.

1. Beardsley

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff

I'm sorry but "Sometimes my thoughts of my dead wife manifest themselves as trains" isn't the most unique phrase and not worth getting upset about. Anyone who saw the movie and wanted to summarize part of it would say exactly this. Now something like the "dream bullets" is a little more unique and witty, so if that was lifted, that would be plagiarism.

November 17, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mas

I like South Park. But why would Parker and Stone parody a movie they hadn't even seen? It was very risky (and lazy) to base it on someone else's parody. Anyway, now that College Humor has apparently forgiven them, Parker and Stone should do the right thing and kick some money over to them.

November 17, 2010 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Fredmg77

So they stole but we can forgive them. They acted like men, admitted their mistakes and apologized.But seriously CNN get some real news. Now about the caps war going on, who cares? People can type however they want.

November 17, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff D

South Park should spend more than 6 days throwing together scripts for their shows! Unfortunately the quality of their episodes has fallen dramatically the past few years :(

November 16, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. WinchLock

They came out and admitted they were wrong, so no hard feelings from me. To be honest, that was a pretty weak episode about a movie I have no interest in seeing. It looks like this week's episode is going to be much better.

October 26, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. pat b

Every single one of these blogs has grammar police andidiots who worry about caps lock!!! Get over yourselfs!!!! If you understand what they wrote who flippin' cares!!! We live in the wonderful age of technology and as a species we are lazy!!!!! Collage or college, tomato or tamatoe, caps or no caps, who cares??? people who do need to see a shrink, they have issues, IF THINGS LYKE THAT BOTHER YEW THAN MAYBEE YEW ARRH THA STOOPID WUNZ HOO KNEED TWO GIT A LYEFFE AND JOYNE THA REEL WURLD!! I HOPE THEM PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT "POLITICALLY CORRECT" GRAMMER AND TYPING DONT SURVIVE THE APOCALYSPE!!! IF SO WE ARE DOOMED AS A SPECIES!!!! OH YEAH, PS, I WASNT YELLING THAT!!! YOUD HEAR MY VOICE IN THE ROOM YUR IN AND COW-WERE IN FEAR IF I WAS YELLING THIS!!!! GIT LIEVEZ PEEPOLES!!!! And ALL CAPS happens to be easier on my eyes while I'm staring at this screen! And Most people agree with that, specially old people who are "politically KOREWRECKED"!!! Ima sit back and enjoy reading what you idiots "not all of you in this blog" write in response to this!!! LMAO in anticipation of it!!!! LAIDER!!! Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 26, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. Durk

I'm waiting for Team America World Police 2.

October 26, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. yale

big deal so thy madea a faux pas. as far as snl that boring show should be dumped as soon as possible

October 26, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Nick

SNL is another show that's been accused of plagiarism. Tim Heidecker (Tim and Eric: ASGJ) recently accused them of lifting an idea from of his show's sketches, and a while back, former SNL cast-member Jay Mohr stole a stand-up comedian's joke and turned it into a sketch.

November 17, 2010 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  10. chris w

These guys are millionaire moguls who make a living parodying people. If everyone they jacked material from noticed it they'd be broke.

Leave them alone and let them keep making my favorite show.

October 26, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mama Jo

this show is LAME-O! Just saying.

October 26, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. maddawg

I'M COOL TOO....

ALSO, WHO CARES WHAT STUPID LINES ARE SAID IN A CARTOONISH STYLE PROJECT......WHO CARES...THEY'RE ONLY WORDS AND ANYONE CAN SAY THEM.

FOR SOMEONE TO COMPLAIN ANOTHER HAS SAID THE SAME WORDS IS JUST STUPID.....I SAY WORDS EVERY SINGLE DAY THAT I KNOW I'VE HEARD OTHER PEOPLE SAY..........SO AGAIN.......

WHO CARES!!!!

P.S.......I'M STILL COOL 'CAUSE I GOT CAPS LOCKS TOO AND I'M ON COOL CRUISE CONTROL! :)

October 26, 2010 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Livia

If you wrote an article about life we'd all reach enlgihtennmet.

October 21, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • lkjdxswnm

mFfdh1 bozzqrguabii

October 22, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • ozttah

7nuxW4 ammwdaykvskg

October 25, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Bender Rodriguez

You don't care because you're jobless and have no means for earning money. If your livelihood was ripped off you'd care. But then you don't have a livelihood so there goes that.

December 25, 2013 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. tim

This whole matter here....It's a Jersey thing

October 26, 2010 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. Talravan

I accept this explanation. How often do these guys apologize? This is the first I have ever heard of such a thing. Yes, even these two make mistakes. Unlike many, they know when to admit being wrong and they have the ability to apologize.

October 26, 2010 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Joel

Those two are mere clowns and nothing but a joke. They plagiarize all the time and just now got caught and ousted as the scoundrels they truly are. I wish they would just disappear. Them and their toilet bowl (full of feces) humor.

October 26, 2010 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  16. Luke

Considering collegehumor steals 90% of the material on their site from places like 4chan.org, I don't have a lot of sympathy.

October 26, 2010 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dave

I'm confused: why would it have been OK for South Park to use those lines if they had come from Inception, but it's not OK that they used lines that came from another source – in this case, College Humor? So it's parody of the College Humor video and Inception. They could even say it's a parody of the movie hype, to which College Humor is a functional part. It just seems overblown to me.

October 26, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Because the South Park episode parodied "Inception", it didn't try to pass-off "Inception" as it's own idea, which means it's not plagiarism. Because using the line from "Inception" in South Park would've made that a parody of "Inception", but using a line from a PARODY of that film would basically be plagiarism, because you're copying the parody, not what's being parodied (by the aforementioned parody), and still selling it as your own parody. In Matt and Trey's case, they thought that some of the lines in that collegehumor video were actual dialogue from "Inception", and therefore felt it'd be safe for them to use the particular line they did. Since the line they took WAS NOT ever said in "Inception", that means they just plagiarized a line from a parody for their own parody.

A lot of people get this idea that if you were to take an idea from someone's work, even if it's not with the intent of selling the idea as your own, that it's still plagiarism. Words like "parody", "satire", and "context" completely elude these people.

I once read a comment on the net once where someone said that in South Park's "Cartoon Wars" episodes, all they did was rip-off Family Guy's cut-away/flashback-gag humor. I couldn't believe what I read. SERIOUSLY? They were clearly making fun of Family Guy's atrocious (but, recently improving) writing style, yet this person was so dense he thought South Park was actually just trying to rip them off. How in such an obvious and extremely derisive sleight to Family Guy could this person NOT get the point the show was trying to make?

November 17, 2010 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
  18. sockpuppet

not sure that I buy that they didn't know it wasn't lines from the movie....the fact that they were lifting entire lines right from the parody is kind of hard to miss. Why didn't they just call the guy and pay him for writing credits before they ever made the episode? It wouldn't have been hard and the guy would probably have been thrilled

October 26, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

and as far as Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park stealing from each other–that's different–it's ideas, not word-for-word plagiarism, and there's nothing new under the sun

October 26, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  19. Kimi

LMAO...thanks for all the laughs reading these comments!

October 26, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  20. Loren

It does not matter. It is fair use for parody. You can parody a parody.

October 25, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  21. taste police

They should just hire the guy(s) as writers. It's time for some fresh ideas anyway!

October 25, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Kuuipo

Who cares if they copied words or whatever from somewhere else, shows all over do it all the time and you don't see us complaining about them. i mean really who cares?! the show must go on and it will. south park is one of the funniest if not thee funniest adult cartoon i have ever watched and i watch them alot! i own dvd's from their very first season to their 5th season, so go ahead southpark steal another line, you make it sound a hell of alot better anyway!

October 25, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  23. derp

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. you can quote me on that.

October 25, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  24. on_my_soapbox

South Park Rules ... nuff said.

October 25, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Nameless J

These guys over at south park are pretty creative. Obviously they took the honorable route. I am way too old for cartoons, the simpsons are great bit I've been over them for ever. South park, however, is amazing. Trueley tasteless. Kudos to these guys.

October 25, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. tosha

okay now this is ridiculous! who cares who said it first or used it in what...south park always bases their shows on shows or whats funny in the now such as the duster chick from intervention towely word for word copied what the chick said...and the jersey shore come on people get a grip and realize someone out there not famous is saying lines from movies,skits,and songs. and now because of south park and its popularity you have now gained recognition for your website!

October 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. nerd

family guy is The Honeymooners for this generation only animated.I wouldn't mind if southpark used my ideas,it means they think your funny.

October 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • taste police

The Honeymooners wasn't animated? I heard that Jackie Gleason was really a Minnisota Fats robot from Disneyland.

October 25, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  28. allrounder

Who cares if it was an honest mistake southpark is freakin awesome and these ppl jus use this franchise for personal publicity I think most ppl wouldn't care how they get their material as long as the show is funny well I wouldn't atleast !

October 25, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  29. cap lock police

Permits and license for cap locks here. Comes with instructions in pictures and free set of crayons/tampons which ever you use more.

October 25, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Bodhi

They do put each episode together in just 6 days, so its very likely they don't thoroughly check all the lines every week. However, if they were going to use a line from Inception, I'll bet its very easy to Google the script from the movie and then just do a CTL + F search for the line. It would have taken 2 minutes.

Oh well, South Park is hilarious and one of the funniest shows of all time.

October 25, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  31. bob Wohsedis

Well THAT came out all messed up thanks to censoring. i like the idea of sp ripping on themselves for plagiarzing. Bet they do it, and soon

October 25, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. bob Wohsedis

"Oh, we didn't know we were stealing! We were in a hurry... We, ah...well, we just didn't give a damn, didn't think we'd get caught, and we're too LITTLE GUYS!" That's what they should have said. It would have been more honest and in keeping w/the show... Oh, wait...honesty...hmmm...er, yah, right. Nevermind. Bet they aren't compensating w/proceeds from the show any time soon, either.

October 25, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  33. AFD

I never thought South Park was all that original to begin with. The show's basic premise is to insult the intelligence of the viewer. South Park's parodies are clunkers that use a cudgel instead of wit.

October 25, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  34. KISS

SHOUT IT, SHOUT IT, SHOUT IT OUT LOUD.

October 25, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Emily

Hi! Hope that everyone is doing fine!

October 25, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Emily

Hi! Everyone! : )

October 25, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  37. sixghosts2006@yahoo.com

OMG CAPS F.O. !!! AND WHO CARES ONE STUPID SHOW STEALS FROM ANOTHER BIG DEAL.

October 25, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  38. habbair234

If you EVER thought parker and stone were great writers your an idiot.

October 25, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Jimmy Zappa

The only thing that bothers me is the fact they never even saw the movie but were quick to satrize it on the basis of it being so pretentious and making fun of its audience who think they're smarter for embracing a needlessly convoluted plot.

...even though that's exactly what Inception and its fans are, but i'm afraid in the future they'll parody something on pretense then find out their facts are wrong or they'll later retract it. Hurts the cred.

October 25, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Full Metal Alchemist Rulz

To me, if Family Guy can do this, then South Park can do this too. I love both shows cuz they gots funny stuff. Family Guy uses ALOT of lines that comes from old or, i think, new shows and movies, but if they can do this then why not South Park? LONG LIVE FAMILY GUY AND SOUTH PARK!!!!

October 25, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jimmy

Now only if Dane Cook would do the same.

October 25, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  42. not news guy

this is not news. get a life

October 25, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  43. keri

To the person who wrote that to like family guy must have an IQ below 70: I Love family guy and I have a fairly high IQ. I am so sick of people like you who think anything they don't like is stupid. Get over yourself! People have different taste. Did you ever think maybe you are just too stupid to get the jokes???

October 25, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  44. kris

YAY! FOR ALL CAPS.. Shout it out people. Seriously people need to get a life. We have the grammar and spelling police!

October 25, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  45. charles

Whoever said SP is the most original kartune on tv needs to lay off the duster. granted the shows has had its moments with some very funny and original characters like towelie but all in all its lost its edge. they now rely on bad movies and celebrity drama bc the main characters arent funny enough on their own. the show had a mediocre run but all of you who are defending need to prepare for it to be cancled. now u can focus on supporting futurama.

October 25, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Superhiro

This is kinda moot to me. The only stuff South Park ever comes up with that's even remotely original ends up just being insanely dumb or obvious. It's basically become a parody show, and nothing about that format is original.

October 25, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Homer Griffin

CNN ASKS WHAT'S YOUR OPINION ON TYPING IN ALL CAPS?

October 25, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Ron St. Louis

What keeps South Park fresh is that stories that make the headlines today are on the show next week; pretty amazing if you consider what it takes to make a television show. Matt and Trey have always been honest and upfront so I believe them when they say it was an honest mistake. More importantly, Dan has accepted their apology so we are in no position to judge them beyond what has already be said and forgiven.

October 25, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Fervor

Simpson's did it!!!

October 25, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  50. funboy

noone seems to mention that inception was ripped off from and old disney comic of uncle scrooge the rich duck with all the gold. HIS 3 nephews try to get the combo to his safe by going in his dream and basically a lot of the same premise. NOTHING IS ORIGINAL

October 25, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Christine O'Donnell

TP and MS have never apologized for their points of view or opinions on the show. The fact that they personally apologized in the media and personally to the writers says something about their character and their respect for art. I think it's great of them to fall on the sword and handle it so it wasn't blown out of proportion.

October 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  52. mr Grumpy

Very funny. I posted a comment related to the poet who wrote only in lower case (initials eec) and CNN censoored it My guess is because the first syllable of the last name sounds similar to a bodily fluid. LOL

October 25, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Sharon

Honest mistake for Trey and Matt.

I knew that episode was a parody of something I hadn't seen. Now I know what it was. Enjoyed the Jersey Shore take-off more.

October 25, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Scott

CNN, change your headline please, they did not steal, it was a mistake... please take your bias elsewhere... or do you want to be the next Fox News? If you have proof of stealing then that's one thing, but in the article you admittedly have none. If you insist on using "stealing" then preface it with "allegedly".

October 25, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  55. ant

I agree with dgmgdm. Kinda weak to make fun of something just because everyone else is. And I love family guy and my IQ is above 70. All humor doesn't have to be intelligent, somethings are just funny. Like mike epps and charlie murphy, don't quite know why but they're hilarious.

October 25, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  56. CAPSLOCK

ONCE AND FOR ALL... CAPS LOCK IS NOT YELLING. IT IS THE INTERNET; THERE IS NO YELLING. YELLING ONLY HAPPENS IN THE REAL WORLD WITH REAL PEOPLE. GET OVER IT, MOVE ON. CAPS LOCK IS NOTHING ELSE EXCEPT TYPING IN UPPERCASE LETTERS. IF "THIS" IS YELLING AND OFFENDS YOU ON THE WEB, YOU MUST COWER IN FEAR WHEN A REAL PERSON RAISES THEIR VOICE TO YOU. GET A LIFE YOU WIMPS AND GROW A PAIR.

October 25, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • hiyaks

lmao! that is so true! why do people get all bent out of shape when others type in all caps. i type in all lower case, does that make me timid? people are sensitive nowdays i guess.

October 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Autnaut

You just ranted on the internet about people ranting on the internet and then told 'us' to get a life. Do you see how this is funny? Just checking. :)

October 25, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • collegekid

quit yelling

October 25, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Papo

Maybe this is an omen telling Matt and Trey that the use of "timely" humor and pop-culture references is killing the show and they need to put the focus back on the characters and original plotlines... lest SP end up like recent Simpsons episodes.

October 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  58. IHateMSM

Simpsons sucks now, family guy was funny a couple seasons ago but south park gets more and more funny. They admitted, apologized and even gave the guy a call. They didn't have to do anything but they did. Hats off to Matt & Trey and south park

October 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  59. SPFan

I think it was an honest mistake and I also believe they should have seen the movie 'inception' before coming up with 'Insheeption'. I also think their take was hilarious which combined hoarding and inception idea together. The best episode this season was off course the 'jersey shore' episode. It was brilliant how they came up with Snooki smushing Cartman. "OMG , its r@ping me!!"

October 25, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  60. JimmyJazzman

who cares, does anyone care the Family Guy has no apparent story lines? The Simpsons are 20+ years old and can do anything. All this does is make people check out South Park to see what they did. They do it every season, and you know what? It works! Who cares! Still funny, still the best cartoon! Nuff Said!

October 25, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  61. dgmgdm

hi guys

funny stuff

,fred

October 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Bill

I'm a big South Park fan and this kinda bothers me. The whole episode was making fun of a movie that Matt and Trey apparently never even saw. They just saw that other people were making fun of it and went with it, to the point that they even took what the other people were saying and used it word-for-word.

Again, I'm a HUGE South Park fan, and this hurts their originality street cred in my opinion. But they handled it well, as they always do (Nothing will ever top Matt and Trey's response to the Scientology outlash [Hail Xenu!].), by fessing up and going straight to the guy they stole from. Tip of the cap for that.

October 25, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jeff

They should just apologize for the episode sucking. The same can be said for the NASCAR episode. It's a shame that more often than not these days South Park has been reduced to lazy numbskull humor.

October 25, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  64. sarspastic

south park should do a serious episode featuring sarah palin and her wasilla homies

October 25, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  65. rs

I'm still boycotting comedy central and southpark for backing down from the taliban. They're only cutting edge to people that don't fight back. ...Cowards just aren't that funny to me.

October 25, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • RubyGirl

ok seriously? you do know that Comedy Central is the one who sensored everything not Matt & Trey right? They continued with episode 201 after CC took 200 off South Park Studios for viewing.. so why boycott South Park? You missed some really funny episodes lately!

October 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Mark

They got called on the copying, they apologized and are moving on. How is this even newsworthy? Must be a slow news day. If anything I think it shows Matt and Trey are stand-up guys and willing to take the blame for an honest mistake. Now lets find something really newsworthy to print.

October 25, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Harold

South Park has some of the most hilarious and well written satire / parodies that I would give them a pass on this...

October 25, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Joni

Don't we have to forgive them? It's Matt Stone and Trey Parker, two of the most talented guys ever when it comes to parody. Stop and think of how many episodes of South Park they have done that are completely original. Don't we have to forgive them one mistake? Even if it was intentional, they are still the most talented writers out there. And, they at least admitted to making a mistake.

October 25, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  69. thornton tracy

Ok, so if the guy with the original work isn't upset anymore and wants to meet with them, then who cares? South Park is still the most original and funny show being made today without a doubt.

October 25, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Tyler

South park was funnier anyways. College humour barely passes as humour.

October 25, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  71. John

What's Opie and Anthony? Please explain for all of us because I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't know who those people are.

@English Prof I thought the same thing and was going to say something if you hadn't.

October 25, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Carl

South Park stealing lines and ideas? OH Lordy! Did some blog-happy slowski actually just realize this?
    That's kind of hilarious in itself!
    I actually revere Trey and Matt for what they do, which is to show and say what no one else has the nerve to explore. If in the pursuit of their mission of making fun of anyone and everyone who is sort of full of themselves they cross the line a bit, why am I not surprised? I think South Park is a national treasure (Eat yr heart out Canada). People ask me what I think about politics, religion and popular culture and I tell them to start watching South Park. People will still be watching South Park thousands of years from now, long after Dan Gurewitch is forgotten.

October 25, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  73. seriously?

Does anyone really get upset about the capslock thing? When I see all caps I don't actually think "My goodness, this person is yelling. How rude!" BEAT IT KATHARINE! YOU BIG BABY!

October 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Why are you yelling at Katherine? But yes, caps lock kind of bugs me too.

October 25, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Its sometimes bothers me. If you want to do it have at it I say, but one should have full understanding that it is a red flag raised very high that states I am a moron sitting in my trailer in my underwear logged in from AOL on my crappy gateway PC, and I can't type.

October 25, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  74. jon

Nice try in the last paragraph to make a bigger deal of it than it is, CNN. Because they were honest about it and handled it like professionals, you actually had to write accusatory questions to trump their transparency. Learn from them.

October 25, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  75. HawaiiWahine

Don't be ridiculous. South Park always makes esoteric (and not so esoteric) references to other media. It is a big part of its charm. Of course I don't think less of Trey and Matt. If one does not get the references (and often I don't but my husband does and points them out to me) that is OK. We just don't enjoy it as much. So "stealing lines". The other originators should be proud that their work got used. Anyone who actually loves SP does not assume Matt and Trey made it all up. Though they usually do (no offense meant to the creative and original brilliance of M & T, of course).

October 25, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bri

Regardless of your opinion of Stone and Parker, saying that someone should be 'proud' of something they made being taken and passed off as someone else's work is reprehensible. I enjoy South Park, but your implication that being well-known gives you carte blanche to plagiarize (and that the person whose work you're taking should be thankful!) is
      dangerous and idiotic. Hopefully this was an honest mistake, and Stone and Parker agree.

November 6, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  76. Jeff

I think they have ripped of Opie and Anthony a whole bunch (several episodes) without giving them any credit.

October 25, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  77. collagekid

south park should get an acadamy award speccialy eric cartman for best actor in a cartune.

October 25, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  78. DanH

I bet we see a future South Park episode on plagiarism where they rip into themselves for copying something from another source without fact checking or attribution. That would be totally in character.

October 25, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Joe Zamecki

I love South Park, and one reason why is, like Saturday Night Live and MadTV, South Park can take a VERY boring story and make it interesting by making a detailed parody about it. I can't count the number of hilarious parodies I've seen, of movies I would never want to actually see. Same with parodies of a lot of tv shows. These parodies enable me to learn about those truly bad tv shows and movies, without having to actually watch them! Awesome!

South Park is so successful that anyone they plagerize ought to be flattered. I'm glad they talked and are friendly about it now. No one should take South Park seriously though. That's another quality of that show.

October 25, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Katharine

It was stupid but at least they handled the aftermath like gentlemen. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired the guy they copied from.

October 25, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Old Scratch

Nobody mans up to admit a mistake or poor judgment call anymore. It was refreshing to see Parker and Stone just fess up and face the music. The fact that they called the other party to apologize in person and not just issue a press statement was commendable. Good job boys, as you were.

October 25, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Joe

"Hello there, children!"
    "Hey Chef!"
    "How's it goin?"
    "Bad."
    "Why bad?"
    "Because our stupid creators decided to rip off this college website..."

October 25, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • FunnyPark

Actually, Issac Hayes (the voice of Chef), left South Park long ago because Matt and Trey did an episode which made fun of Scientology. Of course, Issac didn't seem to care that the show had previously made fun of several other, much more mainstream, religions...

October 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

And he's dead.

October 25, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justinisagay

Justin Beiber is gay

October 26, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  82. TC

I like to hear what Seth McFarlane thinks about this story, since Stone & Parker created an South Park episode accusing SM of ripping off The Simpsons. S & P are tools and hypocrites.

October 25, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Stone and Parker are tools, yet Seth McFarlane is not? That makes sense...

October 25, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Did you even watch the South Park episode about Family Guy? It wasn't about them ripping off The Simpsons at all, it was about how the plot is secondary, and just a way to get from one shoe-horned in random reference to the next shoe-horned in random reference.

October 25, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • EricLr

Tim's right. It kinda reminds me of the time I was playing basketball with Lindsey Lohan...

October 25, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ROFL

South Park's episode about the Simpsons actually forgave other shows for 'stealing' from The Simpsons because The Simpsons have done everything and some of their material is borrowed as well. The episode about Family Guy made fun of how stupid that show is. Family Guy is really really stupid. You have to have an IQ of <70 to find that show entertaining.

October 25, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • TC

Agree. You're Seth M. is a tool as well.

October 25, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fixda Fernback

DERP Hai Guize check me out, I can criticize things I'm completely ignorant about and critique shows I don't watch LOLZERS

October 26, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  83. steve505

*pumping

October 25, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Kiki

There are 2 safe sites to watch 'Inception' right this minute, if you really wanted to. One of them is tv-dome.net. Don't quite believe Stone & Parker. How hard did they really try?

October 25, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  85. steve505

Who cares.... South Park has been pumped out countless hilarious episodes for what, 15 years? I'll allow them a screw-up here and there.

October 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Craig

I have not seen Inception and I'm sure I could parody it pretty well. We live in an age of market saturation. I also know in any given week who the people from Jersey Shore are screwing. Not because I watch these morons, but because of market sauration. It's almost as if it's beamed directly into our brains. So why are people so surprised that Stone/Parker have not seen inception? I believe they have not. From that perspective, taking a line from another parody is as unassuming as taking a line from the movie itself. Big deal. It happens. Let it go, people.

October 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  87. bill

Sounds like an honest mistake considering that south park has been on the air for how long? And this is the first I'm ever hearing of them stealing?

October 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred Evil

Agreed, especially when they did the honorable thing, and called the guy to take the blame. Step up, admit your mistakes, ask for forgiveness, and 9 times out of 10, you'll get it.
      And these guys are too dang funny to be mad at for long!

October 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  88. SP

Sounds like an honest mistake.

October 25, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

By its very definition, plagiarism is not an "honest" mistake...

October 26, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • John

I think it was an honest mistake too, those guys are really opposed to people stealing lines. I think it was one of those situations where a joke (or even any other saying) just gets soaked into the public consciousness, and nobody really knows where it originated.

They'll make it up to Gurewitch.

October 26, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  89. Katharine

Seriously dude, clear the jam and crumbs out from under your capslock key; typing in all caps is rude and no one will take what you say with any seriousness.

October 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Bull

LOL. Now we have heard from the caps lock police.Seems just a bit bi+chy , huh.

October 25, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  91. EricLr

The manatees will tolerate no such accusations!

October 25, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  92. joe

How did Family Guy steal from South Park in ANY WAY at all? Have you ever seen both shows? The only similarity is that they're both animated... but in completely different styles. Besides, they came out within two years of eachother. And South Park had mini untelevised episodes before Family Guy was on the air.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I just crushed your entire argument.

October 25, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Cleveland

The manatee pod will lay it's vengence upon you cheefsfury.

October 25, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  94. cheefsfury

@JOE GRATZ NERD YOU JUST WON THE INTERNET

October 25, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  95. mycatsbreathsmellslikecatfood

southpark and family guy did not come out within two years of each other... time to check some facts

October 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Beavis

'cheefsfury' is apparently an actual small child. I suggest either reporting him or ignoring him until his dad gets home.

October 25, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  97. chris

If you think back to South Park's sea monkey's episode, they even conceede in the show that everything has been done before. All Family Guy does is take the Flintstones and combine them with Married With Children.

October 25, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  98. timetowaste

NERD RAGE

October 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Anthony

Actually they did come out 2 years apart from each other. South Park 08/13/1997 Family Guy 1/31/1999.

October 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  100. cheefsfury

ALSO THANKS FOR TELLING ME WUT CAPS LOCK DID I HAVE BEEN HOLDING SHIFT THIS HOLE TIME

October 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Mark McKee

On the contrary, I ONLY read post in all caps, and they are they only posts that I can take seriously. Why should I take your opinion seriously if you are unwilling to shout it?

October 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  102. cheefsfury

THANK YOUR MARK FOR PROOVING MY POINT

October 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Victor Lazlo

No similarity at all: South Park is funny; Family Guy is the worst show ever shown on TV.

October 25, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Belunan

EVERYONE KNOWS CAPS LOCK IS THE CRUISE CONTROL BUTTON FOR COOL.

October 25, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |