Girl fight on 'Boardwalk Empire'
October 25th, 2010

Girl fight on 'Boardwalk Empire'

Welcome back "Empire" fans. Let's get right to it...

For the five episodes we've seen thus far, each "Boardwalk Empire" episode feels extremely unique. As a matter of fact, I coined last week's episode a smorgasbord. And, to avoid the overuse of terms that mean "large helpings," I absolutely will NOT refer to this week's episode (another gem brimming with drama) as a "buffet." Nope, I'm drawing the line. That's it. No more food terms to describe the show that has offered us so much in its 60 minutes.

IT WAS A CORNUCOPIA! I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. Episode six, "Family Limitation," was abundant in riveting drama, jolting action and savvy dialogue. Now that I got that off my chest, how about a quick stroll past last night's episode:

The episode began with one of Nucky's "guys" (I simply cannot call the guy a "soldier" in traditional gangster terms) making the rounds, collecting cash from boardwalk businesses. The scene was fairly unimposing, and seemed completely normal, even as an unassuming kid spits in his face ("what the?"). Then, the chase (and subsequent robbery setup) is on, and we have liftoff.

From there, the show blasted into orbit with the widow Schroeder shedding her clothes AND that stuffy, pretentious moniker. She shall hereby be known as "Margaret." Any questions? Ask Lucy. She can certainly confirm this startling development.

While I'm not extremely versed in the art of the "TV girl fight," Lucy and Margaret's boutique confrontation was an unforgettable scene of the "Krystle Carrington/Alexis Colby" variety. Wait a minute, who am I kidding? I'm an 80s kid..."TV girl fights" defined my generation. From Erica Kane to Sue Ellen Ewing, the 80s were slam-packed with epic female battles, and I had a ringside seat for much of the gal-on-gal TV violence of that decade.

So, now that my credentials have been established, the Lucy/Margaret showdown can best be described as a "3-time DVR rewind" in my book. That's how many times it took for me to learn the story of "the man and his mountain rooster that played the Mountains of Mourne." For you rookie girl fighters out there learning the ropes, feel free to add your own classic spice to "when I was a girl in (insert your hometown here)..." as you begin to spin the tale. Lucy's jabs were feeble at best, and Margaret emerged victorious (it wasn't even close) with the rooster story (read: the left hook).

I didn't feel goofy in the least bit pumping my fist as Margaret made her exit with Lucy and the boutique owner both looking confounded.

Pow! Take that! Well done Margaret, you are officially the champ.

For the record, Alexis Colby had many classic, "3-time VHS/Betamax rewind" moments back in "Dynasty's" run. One of the her finest was a wry, sarcastic line to her nemesis Krystle, "I just can't wait for the day when I see you walking out of this house carrying the same two cheap plastic suitcases that you walked in here with." Pow! Take that! Brilliant.

But back to "Boardwalk..." For the three times I rewound the DVR to catch Margaret's lines, I fast forwarded Lucky and Gillian's scene every time. When the situation began bubbling two episodes ago, I backed away and politely said no thank you. Last night, I avoided it at all costs. I can't call it non-interest, but I don't like it at all, and found strange satisfaction in Rothstein making the omnipresent call to let Lucky know exactly how off-task he's been as of late.

Will Gillian be the tipping point for the war between Arnold Rothstein and Nucky Thompson? Its getting awfully dicey. We'll have to keep an eye on how this shakes out.

Speaking of dicey, Al Capone and Jimmy have had some moments, but as Jimmy had dinner with the Capones, I remember thinking "there is NOTHING 'Huxtable' about this family." Capone berates/degrades his wife and mother, and scoffs at his deaf son. I thought the writers did a great job illustrating Capone's sense of self-loathing as Sonny Capone suffered from childhood ailments that his father actually blamed himself for. Nicely done.

For all Margaret brought to the table this week, Capone and Jimmy stole the spotlight. Her showdown with Lucy was in the good-to-great range, but Capone, Jimmy, and Torrio's meeting with Charlie Sheridan was in the "awesome-to-TOTALLY-awesome" range. The tension boiled at the perfect temperature, and was cleverly choreographed with the drama stacked high. As the meet seemed to end peacefully, Jimmy fires the first shot, and it all came tumbling down in gunfire. Revenge is sweet indeed.

Summing it up, the only reason this episode wasn't a "10" by my standards was due to the Lucky/Gillian situation. I just don't like it. I'm sure the writers have a master plan, but she's been five shades of strange since she came on the show. A one-point deduction is more than fair.

Another good episode (scored a "nine") is in the books. Next week's previews look good and the beat goes on.

In the spirit of the Margaret/Lucy showdown, feel free to stroll down "TV girl fight" memory lane in the comments below, as well as your thoughts on the episode overall. Surely there are more battles worth mentioning. And Margaret deserves your girl fight tributes with her gutsy performance. See you next week.

1. Ardith Houghtling

When tablets have 2 terrabytes of storage, have 1920 x 1080 worth of pixels and have the same power processors as desktops then perhaps tablets might be considered replacements for desktops.

December 26, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. coupon for motherhood maternity

This write-up is dedicated to all people who know what is billiard table; to all those who do not know what is pool table; to all those who want to know what is billiards;

September 4, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. Gloria

OH I LOVE IT, LOVE IT TOO, AND YEA I THINK KUCKY HAD AN AFFAIR WITH GILLIAN AND JIMMY IS HIS SON. I WAS SO GLAD WHEN MARGARET LET LUCY HAVE IT. IT WAS GREAT!!

November 4, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jacquie

This is by far the Best tv drama on tv today. Excellent acting, fantastic plotlines, I cannot get enough of it.
    The characters are so rich and twisted, you never know what they will do next. I call it the follow up to The Wire with its creative writing and sublte humor that Steve Buscemi brings to his character.
    So what is next? I can't wait to see how this all ends up, but I hope that HBO will keep it coming for a while, it is too good to stop.

October 31, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Patricia

Diana, I bet Nucky had Jimmy's father killed and that's why he promised to take care of Jimmy for Gillian, as a way of buying Gillian's silence. That's kind of what he's doing with Margaret too. Taking care of her kids, because he had their dad murdered as part of his business. It's how Nucky operates. The (for him) endless cycle of sin and redemption.

October 30, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. karla

Margaret hit Lucy with a punch that can never be beat. Intelligence. Loved it, Loved it, That's what Mr. Thompson loves about Margaret.

October 27, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mindy

I think the confrontation between Margaret and Lucy was very satisfying. It was about time that Margaret told Lucy where to get off! I also had to watch that episode a few times to fully understand the story Margaret told. It went way over Lucy's head, so Margaret had to get even more blunt. Great stuff! However, I agree with you that the highlight was the shootout with the Sheridan gang. I have been waiting for Jimmy, Al and Torrio to take revenge for what they did to Pearl. This was truly brilliant in all aspects. When Jimmy almost blows it all by having that knife stashed in the side of his leg, that was riveting. I thought it could go very wrong. Then when they left I just had a feeling that something was about to just blow the whole thing apart. I loved the way Jimmy takes his coat, gets the nod from the girl we saw earlier, and just comes out blasting. I also thought that last scene with Al and Jimmy bonding over his son was quite poignant. We see the human side of Al Capone and it's quite extraodinary. This show keeps getting better and better.

October 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MQG509

I agree with you Diana, that was my thought that perhaps Jimmy is really Nucky's son. OR perhaps that Gillian is Nucky's sister, but doesn't want the town to know that his sister is a "lady of the night" being that he holds a political office. During that time, it's one thing to have a couple of "women friends" around, but it's another thing if it is your sister. However, my gut is telling me in the end it will be like a Star Wars Darth Vader moment and it will come out with Nucky telling Jimmy "Jimmy, I am your Father!"

October 26, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. Diana

Does anyone else get the sense that maybe Nucky had an affair with Gillian at one point and that Jimmy is actually Nucky's son?? Just a thought... That would explain the weird protective relationship he has with her and kind of the tough love thing he has with Jimmy. I don't know anyone else have any thoughts on that?

October 26, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. Maggie

I loved it...loved it....loved it. I am really curious about the whole Nucky/Gillian/Lucky connection. Nucky telling Lucky to treat her with the utmost respect leaves me to believe there is a deeper connection that has yet to revealed. I think Nucky might be Jimmy's father, but we shall see.....loved it.....loved it....loved it. Hey I even put off watching Dexter to watch this show first.

October 26, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Karla French

I missed it last night, watching Favre play football. Catching it later on On Demand if it is listed yet?

October 25, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Me

I totally agree on this episode being more unique than the other 5 shows. It definitely packed a big punch and the Margaret/Lucy showdown was fabulous. I do disagree on it not being a 10 because of the Gillian/ Lucky combo. I am sure the writers have something up their sleeve for those two. Although it feels weird, it's got to be something huge. The ultimate showdown though was the Jimmy/ Capone scene, such classic gangster. As always, this blog was a great summary of the show that made me think analytically about what made it such an awesome episode.

October 25, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |