CBS goes five for five with rookie show renewals
October 23rd, 2010

CBS goes five for five with rookie show renewals

New TV shows like “Lone Star” and “My Generation” may not have fared well, but the rookie series slate over at CBS is feeling good heading into the weekend.

The network has renewed all five of its freshman shows: “Hawaii Five-O,” “Mike and Molly,” “Blue Bloods,” “The Defenders,” and the Twitter-launched comedy “$#*! My Dad Says.”

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the passing grades were well-earned, with each show holding their own in the ratings race in their respective time slots.

To put some icing on the cake, CBS as a whole has been strong at the start of the fall TV season, putting the network in first place for the first month, THR reports.

Yet perhaps the celebratory news should be tempered with a few words of caution: While all of the shows are performing well, none of them have really shown to be insta-hits in the same way Fox’s “Glee” was, points out CBS News.

Filed under: television

1. Doug

What a disgrace that CBS chooses to run a show that ridicules obese people. I understand all the positive revies that I have read, people love to make fun of what there not, or do not understand. Obesity is out of hand in this country, you just have to look at our children. I really don;t think that a "FAT" child enjoys being made fun of in school and a show like this only goes to further say it's o/k to hurt other peoples feelings. What a disgrace that a network company such as CBS allows this kind of show on the air. Why not have a show making fun of some other medical handicap such as being blind or perhaps a better one, someone who is deaf, we can make jokes they can't even hear.

October 25, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cheefsfury

MIKE AND MOLLY IS A SHOW FOR FAT PEOPLE

October 25, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Caroline

I'm not that much of a fan of all of the shows, but I do like Mike and Molly and The Defenders. At first I thought Mike and Molly was going to be one long running fat joke, but it's starting to show that the characters are turning what is preceived to be a negative, into a positive. They are funny, smart and real. The Defenders is fun and I like the fact that even though the are lawyers, they operate just a little bit in the sleaze factor, and are not afraid to admit it.

October 25, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. Charmaine

i liked My Genertation on ABC but with networks today they never really give the show a chance to catch its audience. Bravo to CBS for letting their shows catch an audience

October 25, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. kelly

I haven't found and interest in any new shows this season, and even if I did, I couldn't watch them for long because I work so much...

October 24, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Homie

tinyurl.com/399xoyr
    U must listen that

October 24, 2010 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Locc

tinyurl.com/399xoyr

October 24, 2010 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  8. Becky P. and Dean M. Thaxton

We just love watching Mike and Molly on Monday nights – finally there's a fun show about real people (not Barbie and Ken cutouts), but real people with real lives. Kudos to CBS for having the courage to use normal people in a sitcom.

October 24, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. Margot

I am so glad CBS renewed the sitcom Mike & Molly . Every time I watch i laugh and I have real good time watching it . Kudos to CBS for renewing this show that finally overweight people can relate to . cheers.

October 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |