'Glee's' Jane Lynch opens up on marriage
October 22nd, 2010

'Glee's' Jane Lynch opens up on marriage

Unlike her character on “Glee,” Jane Lynch says she’s actually really mellow. But that didn’t keep the woman behind TV villain Sue Sylvester from donning a gold track jacket and gripping a megaphone on the November cover of More magazine.

In the mag, which will hit newsstands on October 28, Lynch dishes on her relationship with new wife Lara Embry. The pair wed on May 31.

“I shouldn’t say this, but I’d never dated anyone that I wanted to marry,” she said. “ I didn’t think it was going to be out there for me. But the minute we were married, I felt the difference: I felt like I am no longer alone.”

And when Lynch said “I do,” she didn’t just gain a partner in crime. She gained an 8-year-old stepdaughter, too.

“I took her to school. I picked her up. I went to lunch with her. So I kind of had a test run,” she said. “We’re pretty darn good together.”

Lynch, who turned 50 in July, said, “I like the equanimity that comes with my age. I don’t have big highs, and I don’t have big lows. Even if this job goes away tomorrow, the nonstop ambition is a thing of the past for me. I’ve mellowed.”

Catch Lynch on “Glee” Tuesdays at 8 p.m. ET on Fox.

Filed under: Glee

1. Holly Golightly

@kb–actually steven segal made the uhaul comment. not batgirl.

October 26, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MeIAm

@ BIG MOMMA
    Quit telling others what to talk about, pushing your opinions on others and let us be.

We'll debate what we damn feel like! Don't like it, don't read it and stay away from such debates you can't stand hearing. It's really that simple!

October 25, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BIG MOMMA

QUIT DEBATING OVER GAY MARRIAGE LET THEM DO WHAT THEY WANT. AS LONG AS THEY DON'T PUSH THEIR VIEWS ON YOU LET THEM BE.

October 25, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. drew

Preserve the integrity of marriage: Ban Divorce.

October 25, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. huh

?

October 25, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. MeIAm

Frank, I know history quite well. You assume too much about someone you don't even know, and is also a bit arrogant of you. Did you notice that I was talking about Western culture at the get go? Of COURSE it's going to seem biased to you due to the scope of my topic.

And yes, it IS fact that male and female were biologically designed with the other in mind and are for the other. If not, then it wouldn't exist in the first place. The psychogenesis of mental disease having causes from self-domestication and our increasing removal from original nature is ALSO proven fact with ample empirical evidence within analytical psychology. It's a popular myth spread around by those that really just don't know for one reason or another, are not familiar with the field or the evidence. Our sickness as a species stems from meta-cognition and this level of self-awareness/consciousness, self-domestication and our increasing removal from our original nature and is even reflected back IN nature in how It is sick as we continue to tear this planet to shreds. THIS shows our collective regard to nature that brought us here in the first place.

October 25, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

"And yes, our society is getting more and more permissive and it's highly likely that groups such as NAMBLA are going to get their legally sanctioned rights. It's only a question of time. If a child can be tried as an adult, then that same logic can then be used that the man and the child have made adult decisions in their relationship. I wonder what we consider reprehensible NOW will one day soon be socially acceptable? Look at history, there are many examples of what we now consider acceptable were once considered unacceptable. We have NO reason to think that this will suddenly stop when it has never before. Who's to say that brother and sister can't get married one day if one or the other agrees to sterilization? What about sister and sister?"

As I said before, society is always changing and society didn't always have the same opinion on these matters that it has now.

NAMBLA seems to be a revival of the Ancient Greek concept of pederasty. Nothing new, really. None of these things ever went away.

"And yes, it IS fact that male and female were biologically designed with the other in mind and are for the other."

That's not true. That's just your own prejudice speaking as before. As I said, h0m0s#xuality is found throughout the animal kingdom. It is not a slight against nature. It's very natural. Our bodies are just shells, after all. They are not the whole person, so it doesn't really matter what genitals the person you love have. We are not just biology being prodded to reproduce. That mentality is really nothing more than a rigid computer program.

"Our sickness as a species stems from meta-cognition and this level of self-awareness/consciousness, self-domestication and our increasing removal from our original nature and is even reflected back IN nature in how It is sick as we continue to tear this planet to shreds. THIS shows our collective regard to nature that brought us here in the first place."

Yes, we are 'moving away from nature' but LGBT people, because they are LGBT, have nothing to do with it. You better look elsewhere for an explanation and for a place to place blame.

October 25, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. john

Gee I didn't think I was being a chump or taking anyone's freedom away...
    However, you make my point chief. I thought we just voicing our opinions here. I thought we were free to do that. I will say this GLEE SUCKS. And if I am a chump then let me be a chump. You just outed me as a chump...I feel so free to be me now. I mean all those years I thought I was just a christian, judgmental, close minded guy. Now you open this whole new experience. I am a chump. Geez pal, all I was doing was giving this sucky character from a sucky show the room to say WHATEVER she wanted on a topic, even if I didn't agree...who is being a chump now? Oh wait that is right you already labeled me. My bad

October 25, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. MeIAm

Frank, the examples you give are merely statistical outliers and are the rare exceptions to the norm. And you just keep proving my point. There will come a time again that incest, pedophilia, etc is accepted. Fact remains, male and female were meant for each other by original nature. And we are the only species that consciously decides to turn our back to original nature thus making us more and more psychically ill with neuroses of all and ever increasing kinds.

October 25, 2010 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

"Frank, the examples you give are merely statistical outliers and are the rare exceptions to the norm."

No where did I say that incestual relationships and zoophilia are the 'norm'. I was just saying that you have a Western cultural bias and an ignorance of history. Even in the West, certain manifestations of those things are allowed. You are operating on a 20th century Western bias. A few hundred years ago incestual relationships, especially between cousins, wasn't a big deal. Then when you think of royalty and their obsession with bloodlines, it's a bit of a necessity.
      Note that I am not commenting on the morality or ethicalness of such attractions and behaviors as such comments aren't really relevent to the conversation at hand.

"There will come a time again that incest, pedophilia, etc is accepted."

We don't know that. It may or may not. There was a time when those things weren't as big a deal in the West, within social boundaries. There's still many cultures where children as young as about 10 are married off. It's acceptable in their society but not in ours because we tend to view people as children until they're 18, or thereabouts (I have my own opinions on that). We have a different cultural construct of childhood than those cultures do.

"remains, male and female were meant for each other by original nature. And we are the only species that consciously decides to turn our back to original nature thus making us more and more psychically ill with neuroses of all and ever increasing kinds."

That is not 'fact'. That is only your own personal prejudice which is not based on any science at all. H0m0s#xuality and transgender behavior is rife throughout the animal kingdom.

And your comment about mental issues on the rise has nothing to do with the LGBT issue at all.

"CNN needs to stop deleting comments that the moderator of the current shift personally disagrees with."

There are no moderators. The commenting feature of this site is automated. Someone must've reported you, or your post was never posted in the first place because of a certain word you used.

October 25, 2010 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

"Even in the West, certain manifestations of those things are allowed."

I meant were, but in the case of zoophilia, it's a bit more complicated and subjective as to where the boundary lies (people making out with dogs and such).

October 25, 2010 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Gerald

I am not against Marriage gay or straight but I really dont care if katy marries russell or jane marries whoever she did. There are millions of things going on in this world than someone getting married. Go find those stories! THE MEDIA IS TOO DANG LAZY!!!

October 25, 2010 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. MeIAm

@ Frank
    incestors and zoophiles are forced to live in the closet. My observations of patterns are correct. You only give examples of the more popular changes, so your collction of examples is biased

October 25, 2010 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

I'm talking about historically, those things have been more accepted. It was only in the past 100 years or so that we have taken such views that we have on s#xual matters. What is socially acceptable s#xually is always in flux and sometimes it cycles.
      And you also have a strong Western bias because you ignore certain areas in the globe where certain manifestations of those things are more acceptable.
      It's the same for gay marriage. Plenty of culture recognized LGBT relationships and held LGBT individuals in high esteem. Then it changed. Now it's changing again.
      So don't act like we've all been so conservative through history until now. Things are always changing.

October 25, 2010 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. ricky

@xtz,
    ur stats of trends of the unacceptable becoming acceptable include emancipation, women's rights or civil rights? Go back and check ur facts.

October 25, 2010 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  12. MeIAm

My neighbor loves his donkey. They should be legally allowed to mary. It's their love and no one else's business... It's not hurting anyone...

October 25, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. MeIAm

@ xytz
    yeeeaahhhh, go take a long look in the mirror of projection while ignoring facts and the long standing pattern of statistical trends...

October 25, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. MeIAm

Oh great, another dumb chick who suddenly decides they're gay in thier mid-life crisis. All too common.
    What's next down the political tube? Brother-sister/sister-sister marriage?? Don't think it'll happen? Cultural and social trends have ALWAYS shifted from the unacceptable to being acceptable. We have no reason to think this long-standing tend will suddenly stop. It never has before. Think about it.

October 25, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • xytz

Your'e dumber than her. =p

October 25, 2010 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Incestual relationships used to be far more common and far more socially accepted than they are now. Things aren't always as clear cut as that. Same thing goes for your zoophilia example.

October 25, 2010 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  15. Josh T

Why is this such a big deal? The woman is happy now. Good for her. I don't watch Glee, but I've enjoyed Ms. Lynch's other roles. I'm not exactly for gay marriage but definitly not against it. If two people truly love and care for each other, what does it matter to YOU?! I am straight, engaged to be married and very happy. However I do wish the gay community would stop pushing themselves into our faces. I get it, you're gay and I'm ok with that. Live and let live. I'm sure most of America does or is starting to feel this way. However to go over the top as some individuals have is just discrediting your cause. Be gay, be straight, be happy and stay out of other people's business

October 25, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  16. Josh T

Why is this such a big deal? The woman is happy now. Good gor her. I don't watch Glee, but I've enjoyed Ms. Lynch's other roles. I'm not exactly for gay marriage but definitly not against it. If two people truly love and care for each other, what does it matter to YOU?! I am straight, engaged to be married and very happy. However I do wish the gay community would stop pushing themselves into our faces. I get it, you're gay and I'm ok with that. Live and let live. I'm sure most of America does or is starting to feel this way. However to go over the top as some individuals have is just discrediting your cause. Be gay, be straight, be happy and stay out of other people's business

October 25, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. harmony

Look, though we may not all agree on such a topic as to the rights of gays to marry in the US or whether it is considered right with the bible, I am sure we can all at least agree that Glee sucks.

October 24, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. laquonda

I believe that people should have a right to choose to marry rather they are gay or not. I do not agree with being gay based on my religion but i feel that it is not right to judge anyone. I think people should leave that up to God and worry about themselves.

October 24, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. prideful684

Just what we wanted...a debate on gay marriage. As if we haven't heard enough. Who cares already? Let us marry as we wish without the backlash, please!

October 24, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  20. kb

@batgirl – nice uhaul comment. You're probably single and jealous of anyone who's in a happy and loving relationship. Time for u to put the People mag down and get a life. You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

October 24, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mike

Two things:

1. Who is the wife role and who is the husband role in Jane Lynch's marriage? Maybe its determined by who is making the bigger paycheck? Or are they both wives? Or maybe they are both grooms? Who knows?!

2. If gay/lesbian marriage is so supposely great and enlightening, how come there's still over 200 nations that won't go that way?

October 24, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Mike, two things:
      1. They are each others wives- as they are both female. That's the whole point here isn't it- that there first have to be a husband and a wife.
      2. Isn't America supposed to be leading the world in terms of equality. I mean abolishing slavery is an enlightened thing- so is democracy and freedom of religion- however we did it before a lot if other countries. It's actually sad now that we are lagging behind as far as gay marriage is concerned.

October 25, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Sorry- I meant that there doesn't have to be a husband and wife.

October 25, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  22. catherine

We may not agree with everything people do but we should all lOOK at our lives first then comment on others only if we r perfect.......so I guess we all will be quiet now!

October 24, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  23. john a campbell

As the son of a gay man i am proud of my dad and hopes that he meets the right man to settle down with.If he wants to get married i'm there for him.thank god we live in Canada and not in the states.You should relax down there and let nature take it's course unless you live in rhe deep south

October 24, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. betty davis

Oh my.

October 24, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  25. gozer

"New wife"? What/who determines which one is the husband and which one is the wife?

October 24, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  26. john

Marriage is defined as between a man and a woman....not two men or two women. It is each individuals personal choice to do or not to do something. As a conservative American I interpret marriage as between man and woman. Those folks that say the bible is full of crap are just as idiotic as the closed minded folks that impose their beliefs on others. Every one should voice their opinions respectfully. marriage is hard, I have been married for 10 years, so I know. I think this actress was simply giving her side of her experience...no more no less

October 24, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dimples

Very well put!!!!!!(applause)

October 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • xytz

john.. narrow.

October 25, 2010 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
    • KevinNevada

John:
      as a 'conservative American' you should at least not be a hypocrite, and leave room for people to arrange their lives as they choose, not as someone else (uses the government) to choose for them.
      The freedom to marry whom we wish is a conservative issue. You really do need to think this through.

I've been married to a fine woman for 26 years now. We have gay friends in very LTR situations who should be as free to marry as we were.

It's called freedom, chump!

October 25, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  27. javier

I want to wish Jane goodluck, it is good to know that one of our greatest achievements comes when we learn how to share our love with whom ever we choose.

October 24, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  28. SweetP

@Steven Segal...really u think u should b giving advice on giving advice? Anywho, she was speaking of her experience...so shutup!

October 24, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. elliot

joan crawford sneers down

October 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  30. ray hunsaker

Like the one writer above, my partner and I have been together for nearly 10 yrs too and we are seriously considering a move to either a state or country where we are legally married

October 24, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  31. quinn

@scott a godly marriage is betweena man and a pillar of salt, a bunch of concubines, or a mother and son. gotcha! are you kidding me? the bible is fulll of crap and so are you.

October 24, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  32. master shake

You don't have to try to discredit the church...they do a pretty good job themselves.

October 24, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  33. scott

@fail priests can give marriage advice because the bible perfectly outlines a Godly marriage. But ill give u credit for trying to discredit the Church.

October 24, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  34. mon

Its not just Hollywood or Gay marriages that end in divorce... more than HALF of all marriages end.

People was are anti-gay marriage should just worry about themselves and not others who don't even effect their lives.

October 24, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  35. sparky

Well I dont think she was giving any advice on marriage she was talking about what her marriage means to her. as a gay man who has been happily partnered for over 10 years I would like the legal abilityto wed my partner. I already call him my husband and for all practical purposes we are married but I do think its time for gay marriage to be legalized nationally just like canada, england, holland, Spain. we are supposed to be the nation people look to but in this case we are far behind and ridiculoulsly immature about this subject.

October 23, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  36. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=823i8J0eKK4&w=640&h=390]

October 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Steven Seagal

Just what we need, a lesb0 giving us marriage advice. Have you seen ANY of these celebrity lesb0 marriages work? I'm not saying they can't marry, just don't give me advice when you live your life with a uhaul on constant reserved status.

October 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Batgirl

I have been married legally & hetero-ly for over 30 years. Before I met my husband, I never met anyone I wanted to marry either.

Priests can't marry and they counsel marrieds and about-to-be marrieds every day.

(And, right....your mama named you "Steven Seagal"! What does that say about compensating?)

October 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Come On

Have you seen many of any celebrity marriages really work? The divorce rates are high, no matter if its a straight or gay couple.

October 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • DV

I only read the news article, not the magazine. Was she giving us advice, or just commenting on her own "marriage"?

October 22, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • x

You obviously didn't read the article. she's just commenting on her own marriage, she wasn't giving advice to anybody. You should really learn how to read first before coming off as an idiot, and get that stick out of your ass.

October 24, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Be Quiet

Jane Lynch is awesome! I've been laughing since Best in Show.

October 22, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  39. Vince Vaugn

That's so gay.

October 22, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  40. kiki

I love GLEE and Jane Lynch is one of my favorite characters on the show.

October 22, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |