'Modern Family' goes off the grid
October 21st, 2010

'Modern Family' goes off the grid

"Seinfeld" had "The Contest," and on Wednesday night, we had the 21st century, more family-friendly version of that on "Modern Family."

Claire challenged the Dunphys to go "Amish," as Phil put it, and give up all electronic devices. Luke was the first to crack, because he's "not made of stone," then Alex, for school reasons, of course (old encyclopedias aren't much help with cytoplasm and protoplasm).

Surprisingly, and hilariously, Claire was out next, caught cheating by logging on to get plane tickets. The automated, voice-activated phone number she used was maddening (who hasn't been there?).

Leave it to Haley, the most gadget-addicted of them all to pull a fast one when a car is at stake. Claire was shocked: “She carved a phone out of a bar of soap!" Phil's response: "Holy crap, we've been Shawshanked."

Meanwhile, Mitchell and Cam were in a panic over the fact that Lily had yet to be enrolled in a prestigious preschool. Then they found out that they were supposedly a slam dunk to get in. As a receptionist at one school put it, "You’re diverse times three – you’re like Jimmy Buffett tickets to these hybrid-driving straight white folks."

When they aimed high, going for the "Harvard" of preschools, they got spooked by the competition: "Disabled interracial lesbians with an African kicker?” said Cam. “I did not see that coming,” said Mitchell.

So, their interview was a total disaster, involving Cam pretending to be 1/16 Cherokee, and Mitchell asking if he could interview again as a single parent.

Lastly, we had Jay and Manny dealing with the spectre of Gloria having killed the neighbor's constantly-barking dog (he had responded by saying he never complained about their squawking parrot, a.k.a. Gloria).

To the relief of Jay, Manny and PETA, Gloria -who once chopped off a rat's head and left it as a warning to the other rats - merely stole the dog. When Jay reminded her that that is illegal in the U.S., Gloria sarcastically replied, "In Colombia, we trip over goats and kill people in the streets. Do you know how offensive that is? Like we're Peruvians?"

This week, all three plots were equally strong, but I have to admit, I'm really looking forward to next week's Halloween episode even more. What about you? Post a video or comment below. In the meantime, check out iReporters Nadya Alvarez and Kathi Cordsen, who shared their take.

1. off the grid living

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog site? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered vivid clear concept

April 4, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cindy

Hey Valeria, what ru having? give me some... what nobel peace prize??? f...k! I understand any kind of humor, I dont feel "hurt" when they say peruvian people eat cuy because it's oh so true, but that statement was not, and we all know many AP are oh so ignorants that still believe that we wear feathers and hunt to live, come on! What the character said is not true, and let's see how funny it would be if Sofia makes a joke about how many people die because of drug business in Colombia, oh yes, I'm sorry, maybe she is not colombian anymore :S and CO 'n PE are a brothership, so don't mess it with "funny" issues ...

November 24, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alberto

Get a life. This show is for people with some degree of intelligence. Obviously the ones who felt insulted don't have the brains to understand the satire and humor in the show.

November 9, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sophie

Obviously, the people that thought it was funny are those who don't even know how to spell Colombia, bunch of morons, they think that's funny??? Good thing she apologized, if not her show would be canceled...

December 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lucia

We all know it was intended to be a joke, but it was not funny at all. I'm sure if the joke would've been about Gay people, Mexicans, or Cubans, these communities would have already been all over their case, but since they think Peruvians are not going to do anything about it, they think they can get away with it :(. Good Job ABC, keep making money with ignorant, racist, and prejudice shows like these!

November 5, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anita

Lucia,

The show makes fun of gays, Colombian, Asians, American, you name it. Now go get some thick skin or go watch some Latin soap operas

November 26, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. Peruano, with a sense of humor

IT WAS A JOKE. And a funny joke. I'm Peruvian and I laughed out loud. It doesn't make me any less Peruvian, or any less proud of my country – it just means I understand the concept of humor. The Peruvians who are up in arms about this are making us all look petty and easily insulted – my family, Peruvians all of us, enjoy a good laugh. These people need to get a life and learn the difference between TV and reality.

Please. Get a life. All of you.

October 29, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ronny

I'm American, so maybe I'm missing something here, but the line was meant to be funny! A Columbian saying that Peru is more violent and backward then Columbia is a matter of laughs.
    The whole world knows that Columbia is the most violent country in the world people! Calm down.

October 29, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sergius

I agree, the District of Columbia is filled with criminals.

October 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

OMG, Columbia??? yeah, Ur really missing something... it's Colombia man :S and of course it's not the most violent country...

November 24, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sergius

I'm offended! I'm a Peruvian and I haven't tripped over any livestock in WEEKS. Stop this discrimination. I mean, what are we, the Dutch??

October 29, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. carmen

Seriously guys even if you said iITS A COMEDY!! or something...
    you have to read what she said on twitter
    ._. it was very offensive on twitter

October 29, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  9. screwthisshow

Clearly, the writers of this show are ignorant to say something that is so far from the truth about Peru. If anything, that comment is more true about other countries in South America (you know Colombia has a lot of terrorism and drug dealing issues, right?), than it is about Peru. I find it sad that this show had to insult my country to get a few laughs and rating points – how pathetic! They should be taken off air because they have clearly ran out of good jokes and ideas. Obviously, I will never watch this show again and never respect Sofia Vergara again who should have refused to make fun of a neighboring country.

October 28, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peruano, with a sense of humor

Aww, you're not going to watch anymore? That's too bad. I hope ABC can deal with losing you as a viewer. Really, what a tragedy.

October 29, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gaby

I can't believe everyone is making such a big deal out of this. If you have a little brain you would realize that the show actually mocks those kind of generalizations. Sofia's character (some seem to be confused, actually accusing the actress – you know, Gloria is not a real person) has made so many similar remarks about Colombia. I think it was extremely funny and love the fact that they have the balls to make jokes like that. I am peruvian, I love the show and think it is the smartest humor there is on TV today.

October 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Allan

Come on people. Really?
    I am Peruvian and I found that hilarious. That joke is making fun of the whole World. It is sarcastic and ironic, and very smart too.
    She gets all offended because her husband made an offensive comment about "her" country/people, and then she just turns around and makes the very same comment about another place. It is genius because it is true; everybody does that in real life. She could have used the name of any other country in the World; however, being that she is Latin, it wouldn't be as offensive if she joked about one of their own.
    It is pretty much telling someone that they shouldn't do something because it is wrong, and then doing it yourself. We even have a saying for that in Spanish: "Ver la paja en el ojo ajeno, pero no la rama en el propio" (please someone else translate that because I have no clue how to say it in English).

October 28, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Valeria

Dear Allan: Me alegra mucho que encontrar un peruano sin complejos!!!

In regards to your "saying" it is: "Why look at the speck of sawdust on your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye" =)

October 29, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
    • isa

Yeah but you didnt knew what she said on twitter sofia vergara..

October 29, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Cindydy

If I would like to make a "repechaje" my dear Allan, I would have said: Oh yes, here we go, as in Colombia we do (this) and in US you guys go directly toi the point, just declare war :D isnt's this funny???

November 24, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Karen

Funny? obviously these scripwriters have not creativity at all and are a bunch of morons. Sofia is also contradicting herself when she say is proud to be Latina, but on the other hand trashing and insculting her own culture.

October 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. annoying flute player

THAT WAS OFFENSIVE! In Peru, we do not trip over goats!!! WE TRIP OVER LLAMAS!!!

October 28, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Valeria

PEOPLE, GET OVER IT! it was meant to be funny and she said it because she is the only person on the show that could've gotten away with it. I am peruvian and I found it hilarious, BECAUSE i know that we have as many thieves as colombians (and the rest of S. America) do. IT is true, YES, Peru has a world wonder, a nobel peace prize, best coffee, etc etc etc BUT we make fun of defects...(people, cars, things, etc) not perfect things (do you make fun of a ferrari or the hyundai accent with 20 inch rims and flame stickers on the doors?)

PLUS lets not forget the show is SCRIPTED. Instead of being "MAD" because they used the word "peruvian" lets be proud our south american brothers and sisters are finding success in a white-dominated industry.

October 28, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Melissa Boone

Hilarious?

October 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monina

what kind of peruvian are you??? How can you find hilarous her offensive words!!.... I dont think peruvians need an stupid, brainless actress "help" them to be famous with such a comment. That show is over for me. She can keep making fun of herself with that horrible accent. I don't care anymore.... and by the way... I don't think you're peruvian...not at all !!!

October 28, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anita

I agree. Funny as hell! LOL

November 26, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. Peruvian Pride

That was VERY offensive! I am glad to hear that authorities in Peru are looking for an apology for what was said about Peruvians. Peru, as someone else said before, is a GORGEOUS country! Colombia can only dream of having something like Machu Picchu or the Nazca Lines or the churches full of gold decorations, ETC. But, this is not about getting Colombia back for what Sofia said... I am sure they felt embarrassed when one of their people read that offensive line.
    Peru deserves an apology on TV!

October 28, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Peruano, with a sense of humor

Put down the remote – that's TV. There you go. Now look outside – that's right. That's real life. You see? You see the difference?

The only apologizing that needs to happen is you nitwits apologizing to our patria, for making us look like delicate, sensitive idiots without a sense of humor. I'll await your apology. Waiting...

October 29, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  16. cesaren

Sofia I took for granted that you had common sense and brains. Being latina you should have known that your line would be offensive, How do we know that? Because you played the offended one when your TV husband harangued you about Colombia's troubles. You could have said something to the sriptwriter but who cares the mighty dollar rules even if it means offending other cultures.

October 28, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  17. Gina S.

This show is over for many people... The Peruvian comment wasn't funny at all and probably would be funny for ignorant people that do not know anything about Peru. Peru is a beautiful modern country with friendly educated people. Yes, wonderful places not counting that they posses Machupichu that is one the 7 Wonders of the World. Also, recently ranked Top 1 Best Airport in South America, Best coffee of the World 2010, and the Nobel Prize in Literature 2010 was awarded to a Peruvian writer...etc etc. Let's face it violence exists everywhere but if we compare Peru with other countries statistically is not as much. Sofia Vergara would not be respected after this especially within the Latin American community for being the stupid puppet that degraded and as Hispanic herself her own people. She could have told the producers that it wasn't the right thing to do (discriminatory, insulting, offensive to a specific culture or country) but still did it for the sake of some money. This shows her lack of brightness, dignity and character even if she is only an actress in the show.

October 28, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  18. Angela C.

I used to love this show, but I find really offensive what Gloria says about Peru, I think if you want to make laugh it is unnecessary to insult other people.

October 27, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  19. juancho

What's the matter with FOX and Sofia Vergara, are they both stupid? one doing comedy making fun of other cultures, and the other, being Colombian, accepting to INSULT a country that shares bordes and has very similar culture to hers?? Maybe she just doesn't notice because her silicones don't allow her...
    This show is over for me, and all the people I know. I am posting this stupid phrase on my Fb and Twitter so everyone knows about it... retards..

October 27, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Claudia Meadows

"Like we are Peruvians? " is that supposed to be funny? Would it be funny if she had said: “like we’re Americans?” Because unlike Peruvians, Americans do kill each other the streets as well as in Colombia, the most dangerous country in South America. I liked the show but needless to say I will no longer be a viewer. I’m outraged at this discriminatory line against Peruvians. Obviously the writers of the show have never been in Peru. I am surprised Sofia Vegara would accept to say something so discriminatory on national TV but let’s remember she gets paid for that and she is not the brightest woman in this world she only gets paid for her looks which are rapidly fading so she’s got to make the most of it while it lasts…bye bye Modern Family

October 27, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  21. Koby14

Agree, the Peruvian phrase was not funny... very discriminatory. To say that is pure ignorance and I'm surprised someone like Sofia Vergara, who is Latin American, agreed to read that line...

October 27, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  22. ILOVEPERU

THAT WAS NOT FUNNY AT ALL, ITS WAS OFFENSIVE, RACIST AND STUPID BECAUSE PERUVIANS ARE NOT THIEVES. IT SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO GO ON AIR WITH AN OFFENSIVE PHRASE THAT HURST A DETERMINED GROUP OF PEOPLE, SPECIALY SUCH AN AMAZING AND CARING PEOPLE LIKE US, WE ARE REALLY OFFENDED AND WE WILL NOT SEE THIS SHOW EVER AGAIN

October 27, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  23. calc

think it's the first bad episode.

October 24, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. calc

i

October 24, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  25. GREG

Modern Family is easily in my top 3 favorite shows on TV only behind The Office and Law and Order SVU. I don't know where they come up with this stuff but I'm urging them to KEEP IT COMING!

October 22, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. kiki

Modern Family is such a funny show. Cam is the funniest. His timing is perfect.

October 22, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  27. Mo V

Funny, funny stuff. i can relate to each family sect. The gay couple, hispanic female, and family with many siblings and cooky parents. I just couldn't imagine to write such funny intelligent stories and pick the best actors to play those exaggerated roles out! Favorite line,"leave it to the gays to raise the only under-achieveing asian child" (or something to that effect.) If ever you want to tell friends and family to watch the show, if they don't follow it, this weeks episode should definitely be the one to watch. Funny stuff!

October 21, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Caroline

I don't know what was funnier...Cam and Mitchell distmayed over being out gayed, or a screeching Gloria setting off the car alarm. Hopefully Cam will be over in over the top mode for the halloween show.

October 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Sean

And the award for funniest character of the night goes to...GLORIA!
    "JAY...JAY...JAY...JAAAY!!" ROTFL That and the whole "Did she kill the dog?" shtick was hilarious. Modern Family, you never disappoint :)

October 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  30. DJ

Love Modern Family

October 21, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  31. cheefsfury

THIS SHOW IS PRETTY FUNNY BUT I DONT LIKE HOW AL BUNDY DOESNT STICK HIS HAND DOWN HIS PANTS ANYMORE AND IM NOT SURE HOW THEY DID IT BUT THIS SEQUAL TO THE BUNDYS IS PRETTY FUNNY

October 21, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

this is NOT a sequel to Married With Children....

October 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

IT IS TO A SEQUAL BECAUSE IT HAS THE BLONDE BIMBO KELLY GOT MARRIED AND THE YOUNGER SON BUCK IN IT AS WELL EXCEPT HE DECDIDED HE WAS GAY AND PEGGY BUNDY DIED AND GOT REPLACED BY A HOT WOMAN

October 21, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |