Johnny Depp wants to remake 'Thin Man'
October 21st, 2010

Johnny Depp wants to remake 'Thin Man'

Here's the skinny on Johnny Depp's latest project: The actor wants to develop a remake of the 1934 detective film, "The Thin Man."

Vulture reports that Depp is angling to team up with his "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" director Rob Marshall for the "The Thin Man," which is based on a Dashiell Hammett novel and became a six-film franchise in the 1930s and 40s.

The first installment of "The Thin Man" starred William Powell as Nick Charles, a hard-drinking former sleuth whose socialite new wife, Nora (Myrna Loy), convinces him to take on another case just for the fun of it.

According to Deadline.com, Depp is expected to play Nick, while the role of Nora has yet to be cast.

"'The Thin Man' has long been a favorite of mine and with Rob at the helm, I know we're in great hands," said 47-year-old Depp, who is also set to star in movie remakes of the classic TV shows "The Lone Ranger" and "Dark Shadows."

1. sampooos

movies

November 20, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. wantt

maybe...

Golmaal 3

November 15, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alanna

Haha.. Perhaps Johnny Depp could have starred in The Thin Man a few years ago, but not the way he's been looking recently..

November 7, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Werewindle

I agree it would be nice to see "The Thin Man" done again, unfortunately, there is no one in Hollywood dashing, debonair, nor classy enough to play Nick Charles... though there might be a Nora or two.

October 28, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • jay

Are you kidding? How about Justin Timberlake? He is so dreamy and he has quite a promising acting career ahead of him! I so want to wrap my arms around him and squeeeeeze!!!!

November 4, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sophie

If you watch the last show of Will & Grace, you will see that Debra Messing looks amazingly like Myrna Loy. However, I agree that some movies should be left alone. Remake of Bishop's Wife was really bad, even with Denzel in it. Next, it will be Gone With the Wind!

October 28, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. Lily

Amy Adams? Are you kidding me? LOL. And I can just picture it now, JD using his Jack Sparrow slur to completely fail at recreating William Powell's Nick Charles, slightly lit up. Seriously, I can't wrap my mind around why he would even try. JD is brilliant but he's got to realize this movie is set to fail

October 28, 2010 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lily

You guys are smokin' crack if you think anyone can do The Thin Man justice. Not even the very talented Johnny Depp should be thinking about touching William Powell's role. It'll be a massive flop. No one can touch WP and Myrna Loy. I can't even imagine it. I'm shocked anyone would even think about trying it. The Thin Man should be respected enough to be left alone

October 28, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. Robyn

W.T.H. Many of the classic movies ae being remade. Hollywierd has no new ideas. Doesn't anyone remember the remake of The Women. Tanked. Some movies should just be left alone. I love Johnny Depp. He is one of the greatest actors of today. He is good in everything his does. However, Nick Charles is known for his drinking, could that play today? We will see in the new Arthur (big mistake on that remake). Nick and Nora and Asta (lil nicky too) belong in the golden era of classic movies. Not the garbage of the movies of today. R.I.P William Powell and Myrna Loy

October 27, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

I have an idea – how about some new movies. What is with all the remakes?? No creativity left???

October 26, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gloria

I want to see Johnny Depp in a romantic normal movie-his usual is always a bit strange-he is talented,so please do a great,normal movie,o.k:

October 26, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mario

"The Thin Man" is a good vehicle. I've enjoyed William Powell and Myrna Loy in the movie series. I do remember Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk doing the thin man on TV in the early sixties. As for who could play Nora opposite Johnny Depp, how about Amy Adams? Amy is funny and can play quirky when needed.

I would almost vote for Mary Louise Parker except that she can't do anything these days without evoking her character, Nancy Botwin.

October 25, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeepers

I love William Powell and Myrna Loy in the Thin Man movies! He's right. I'm looking forward to seeing him remake them. He's so marvelously quirky, I'm sure he'll do them justice.

October 25, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Diana

The Thin Man Series were some of the all time best movies ever made. I couldn't possibly think of anyone being able to replace the original stars...but Johnny Depp. What a perfect casting that would be. He is one of the most versatile & amazing actors to grace the screen in decades. I am so looking forward to seeing his portrayal of Nick Charles! Whoever is casted as Nora must have class, elegance & one helluva sense of humor to pull it off. Can't wait!

October 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Karla

OMG clicked and there his picture was...he is great; he is beautiful. Oh and he is a brillant actor, too.

October 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. duh

(Yawn). Why can't he come up with something original, instead of rewarming old stuff? He should stay in France. Liberal cry baby can't come up with anything new and interesting.

October 22, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Marin

Too funny – saying anyone else can't come up with anything new & interesting when here you are using any excuse possible to try and promote your own political agenda. Take your right/wrong wing crap to a political forum, loser.

October 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Garry

This will be interesting! I absolutely loved the Thin Man Series...and Dark Shadows as well...cannot wait to see both!

October 22, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  17. Caroline

Johnny Depp as Nick Charles! Even William Powell would approve. I would love to see Charlize Theron as Nora, she is tall, thin, beautiful, with a great profile (like Myrna Loy) and looks great in period costume. But who will play Asta? Also, I just read in the article that he will be both The Lone Ranger and Barnabas Collins...JACKPOT!!!

October 22, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Louie Lobo

Who plays Asta? How about Jack Black? Maybe Nic Cage? Anyone else who can't say no to a script and doesn't understand the concept of overexposure?

October 22, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  18. jason wolff

He always makes bold and unique choices.He is currently my choice to play my severly misshaped right testicle.Tough role to play but johnny could pull it off.

October 22, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  19. javier

Provided she is not busy shoplifting..Wynonna Ryder would make the perfect Nora....they r both real good in roles like that..Depp and Sean Penn r two of the best actors alive today

October 22, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  20. Dep Pendin

Mr. Depp is more than an actor, he's a creative genius!

October 22, 2010 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  21. roger ebert

Depp as the lone ranger can't wait grew up watchin like to see johnnys take on it

October 22, 2010 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  22. firehed

I have two words.... Scarlet Johansen... She would be amazing with Depp

October 22, 2010 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  23. Frank

I'm sorry, I didn't get to the article. I'm still stuck on the picture. And I don't really have a crush on him, either.
    Good luck to him on his project, though.

October 22, 2010 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  24. mike gumban

go for it!

October 22, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  25. gartoonz

John Astor and Myrna Loy had a great chemistry in " The Thin Man " series, can't wait to see Depp's take on these classics. As for the " Dark Shadows " his great talent should make an interesting adaptation as well !

October 22, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  26. Anna

I think Winona Ryder would be a great Nora! I know she and Johnny have a history but their on screen chemistry is undeniable! Edward Scissorhands anyone?

October 21, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Good call, Anna! I like the idea of Ryder. I also like the suggestion of Helena Bonham Carter. Is Emma Thompson too old?

October 22, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Edward Scissorhands will always be my favorite movie of his and held a special place in my heart. Winona? YES. Helena? NO. I'm tired of her. She's been in just about every Burton film for the last decade almost. OVERLOAD. I only liked her in Fight Club, anyway.

October 22, 2010 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  27. Karen

How about Helen Bonham Carter as Nora?

October 21, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sarah

A remake of The Thin Man is long overdue. Depp would be a solid Nick. I think that Vera Farmiga would be an excellent Nora. Or, maybe even Catherine Zeta Jones...

October 21, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • blackcurry

How about Cote de'Pablo from NCIS? I think she would be awesome.

November 6, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Name*kevon

I've been watching johnny since he began on nightmare on elm st he's grown in the industry and is a Hell of an actor I believe the the thin man will be a good role for him. "Go johnny Go".

October 21, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  30. nick lopez

This sounds like a really cool movie. Depp is a great actor so if anyone can pull this off, he can.

October 21, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  31. radioball

Speaking of William Powell any way we can convince George Clooney to remake "My man Godfrey"?

October 21, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Teliz A

Johnny is an excellent actor. He was awesome in EDward SCissorhands and now playing Barnabas Collins of Dark SHadows look out EDward CuLLen theres a new Vamp in town.

October 21, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Michelle

Nevr heard of it but will see it, anthing with Johnny is good. 1st Pirates best action ever to wacky Ed Wood.

October 21, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Marie

This is going to be tough to get close to the original, but if anyone can, it will be Johnny Depp. He makes magic. He's also a very caring man. My daughter-in-law worked at Great Ormand St. Children's Hospital in London. Shortly after the first Pirates movie came out, Johnny went to the hospital in full costume and makeup as Captain Jack. He stayed in character the whole time while visiting the children. She said every ward had such a great feeling of excitment, the children couldn't stop talking
    about it. He's a lovely fellow!

October 21, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  35. russell spadaccini

Love him! Go Depp..

October 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  36. just a reader

Sounds like another good idea...he's an awesome actor...

October 21, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Robert Warner

While I have the utmost respect for Mr. Depp and his undeniable talent, all of his movies except Donnie Brasco seem like chick flicks to me.

October 21, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • dolly depp

chicks are his bank roll and we love him ages 4- 80 . He is so humble and that is why we love him.

October 22, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  38. Marie Hakala

He is a great actor and I cannot wait to see him in Dark Shadows.Use to love that show

October 21, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Len

I don't know about the Thin Man stories, but I can't wait until he does Dark Shadows. I grew up addicted to that show it was the bomb! And besides that, all of Johnny's movies are the bomb!

October 21, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rubes

I completely agree with you, Len! I loved Dark Shadows. I think JD would do a great job at bring back Barnabus!

October 26, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  40. Loving it!

This could end up being Johnny's best role since Platoon! Loving it!

October 21, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Chelle

Oh I can't wait! I love the Thin Man series. It'll be interesting to see a 'modern' take on these great characters. "Oh Asta, here boy"

October 21, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

This is a reply to the guy who replied to the "Firsty" guy. Ummmmm, you didn't comment on the article either, plus this is entertainment "news" what do you expect? I thought it was funny, and as he implied he's first.

October 25, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shakennotstirred

Love the "Thin Man" series. Adore William Powell. I can see Depp as Nick, but who on earth can replicate Myrna Loy? Any guesses?

October 25, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Kate Winslet might make a good Nora. It becomes a question of time setting and faithfulness to the book and/or the original film. Nora was younger than Nick, and could Nick still be as much of a drinker. He wasn't a drunk, he just was rarely sober.

October 25, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • lord-erica

i fear that it will be like the remake of The Women, severely lacking....got both fingers crossed because with a martini you dance the foxtrot! lol

October 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • RebeLkah

I love Johnny Depp. I love the Thin Man movies. I do not love them together. No one should remake these movies. No one can replace William Powell and Myrna Loy. If these actors really love these old Hollywood movies so much, why don't they throw big premier-like parties, talk about their love of the movie on a press junket, and then re-release it on the big-screen? I'd LOVE to see the 6 Thin Man movies in a theater.

October 26, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Kat

I love "The Thin Man" too! Johnny Depp would be great. Hmmmm....who would take Myrna Loy's part? I could see Renee Zellweger in that part.

October 27, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  42. portalpunk

it may be late in the day, but the suns out and boy I'm........FIRSTY!!!!!

October 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will Dweezy

Jeez, kill yourself.
      The "FIRSTY" comment is grating enough alone (and more than enough evidence of your condition as a mouth-breather) but you didn't even bother to include a comment on the article. Why are you alive!?

October 22, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |