Gwyneth Paltrow to perform at the CMAs
October 20th, 2010

Gwyneth Paltrow to perform at the CMAs

Gwyneth Paltrow has gone country. The actress will make her live singing debut at the 44th annual Country Music Awards on November 10, performing the title track from her new movie “Country Strong.”

The song was released as a single to radio last week, and no one was more surprised than Paltrow, according to EW.com.

“I was just singing songs for the movie. I think the original plan was they wanted the bona fide crew to re-sing our songs, and then when [Sony Music Nashville chair] Joe Galante heard it, he was like, ‘No, I want to release this as the single.’ I was like, ‘Excuse me please? What? What is going on?’”

The producers must have known that no matter what, she’d look good in cowboy boots. But reception to the song, shown in the film’s trailer, has been more than a physical attraction.

“Gwyneth looks - and sounds - amazing in the video,” says PopEater, who noted that the actress has sung for us before in the 2000 film “Duets.” Her new song features back-up vocals from Vince Gill and Patty Griffin.

"I had to learn how to play guitar, and I took singing lessons. It was a real challenge, but I felt like I pretty much pulled it off," Paltrow told MTV in May.

“Country Strong” stars Paltrow as country singer Kelly Canter, who was recently released from rehab. She plays opposite Tim McGraw, the adorably manly country singer-turned-actor whom you’ll recognize from “The Blind Side.” Also in the film are “Friday Night Lights” actor Garrett Hedlund and “Gossip Girl’s” Leighton Meester.

Check out "Country Strong" when it hits theaters nationwide in January.

« Previous entry
  1. POP Music

hello!,I love your writing so a lot! proportion we keep in touch extra about your post on AOL? I require a specialist in this area to resolve my problem. Maybe that's you! Taking a look forward to peer you.

May 9, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. rottie78

To those responding in the negative,let me remind you of something:for decades,actors & actresses not only had to be able to act, sing & dance, they also had to perform multiple musical numbers in the movies in which they starred.And I'm not talking Broadway;I'm talking about on film. Studios would pay for their performers singing,dancing & acting lessons. Thankfully we have Broadway where creating & staging musicals still exists so as not to lose this art form. Many of our classics are musicals. Try & remember this when you feel the need to slam an actor for showcasing other talents & vice versa.

October 20, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Aminda

Wow, I'm impressed! I was expecting a Scarlett Johansson wanna be singer, but Gwyneth sounds amazing. You go girl!

October 20, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LBW

That song was "Cruising". I think it was a remake of Smokey Robinson's and it was great. The girl can sing! She sounds better than Taylor Swift.

October 20, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. J

Anyone who knows about Gwyneth's talents knows she sang a beautiful duet with Heuy Lewis back in the late 90's. I think it was called "Fly Away." It was an absolutely beautiful remake done with class. She has a beautiful voice. She isn't trying to be like these other actresses like J Lo, who by the way can't sing to save her life, by capitalizing on any money making opp she can find. She has never posed nude and has only taken roles that she feels are respectable. She thought she was simply singing on the movie soundtrack. She didn't know it was going to be released as a single. Give the woman a break. She is nothing but pure class.

October 20, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • JL

Well said; I couldn't agree more;

October 21, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Ally

Well said. I think she's just a little too perfect for most people to handle. She doesn't trash herself up for money like most other celebrities and, therefor, all the trashy people at home can't relate to her...so they project their jealousy onto her. It's quite pathetic.

November 11, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. aurora

PUH-LEASE! Most actresses these days have to dabble in something else! Stick to one thing for crying out loud. Leave music to people who are truly passionate about it and that's all. I'm sure she's a decent singer, but so are many other people.

October 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

I agree. Could you imagine her doing concerts? I am sure this is just a passing phase for her. What is wrong with country music these days? Its like country music never use to care about fame, popularity and sells. They were all about the music, but it doesn't seem this way anymore. Leaves me wondering if the whole industry is starting to sell out.

October 22, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. amy

I saw this coming... It was only a matter of time before she started singing. After all, she is married to the amazing Chris Martin. But country.... That's a joke.

October 20, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Liz

I've been listening to country music my entire life....I'm officially offended.

October 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cheefsfury

HOW IS THIS MOVIE NOT ON LIFETIME ARE U FOR SERIOUS THAT IT COMES OUT IN THEATRES

October 20, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. nat

I though she sounded good..Her dancing was dumb...Looks like Taylor swifts mom..

October 20, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Alan S

Gwyneth Paltrow is just a natural. I believe this because she never comes off phony.

October 20, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. katie

Are you kidding me? The country music industry is turning into a joke and losing all credibility.

October 20, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |