'Chuck' gets a full season
October 20th, 2010

'Chuck' gets a full season

In another example of the new age of DVRs and online viewing, where pure ratings no longer determine what stays on the air, "Chuck" has gotten a full-season pick-up from NBC on Tuesday.

It's been a difficult road from the beginning for the show with a hard-core fan following. It's never had a full-season renewal, and fans have put forth their best effort over the years on social media to keep it going. (When asked how much Facebook, Twitter and the like had to do with the show's success, star Zachary Levi told CNN, "The Internet rules the world now, so I think it has everything to do with it.")

In yesterday's announcement, NBC pointed to the fact that it was "heavily time-shifted," saying that 29 percent of its viewership came from DVR recordings watched on the same day it first aired.

According to EW.com, the show will also get 24 episodes this season, the most it's ever had.

Are you excited to see more "Chuck?" Share your thoughts on video, or in the comments below.

And in the meantime, if you have a question for Levi ask him on video and you could see the answer soon on CNN.com!

1. WMesser58

Chuck "RULES" The writing is great and so is the cast. I watch it though Hulu because of other shows I watch in that time slot but, I never miss an episode.

October 21, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kate

I have been watching on hulu since our flatscreen quit working. Never miss this show. Love the creativity! Very fun & entertaining! Thanks NBC!!!!

October 21, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. eddie c.

chuck is awsome it is about time . the whole crew is great on the show . chuck rocks hope it gets another season .

October 21, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. mushymushroom

Chuck is awesome...though I didn't see much of last season, but I'm catch up via my dvd :)

Hey Chuck we love you all the way here in Manila Baby!! :)

October 20, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • mushymushroom

correction *I'll catch up via my dvd :)

I love Zachary Levi..he rocks :)

October 20, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. roman c

Chuck is the best show great cast couldn't ask for more very good news!!!!

October 20, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joe L.

IMHO, best show on TV. No other show has such a great mix of humor, action, romance, and interesting cast as this one. The latest episode (Mon 19th) where Casey is paralyzed and then snaps out of it to choke Morgan when finding out Morgan was dating his daughter almost had me rolling on the floor laughing.

October 20, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jaclyn

YAYAYY! So happy! Thanks NBC!!
    Watch Chuck every Monday and have NEVER missed an episode and don't plan on in the future! GO CHUCK!

October 20, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Matt

I LOVE CHUCK! YAY!

October 20, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Paul

GREAT NEWS!!!!

The only thing that would stop me from watching is if they break up Sarah and Chuck...

October 20, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cgreen6911

I love Chuck, havebeen watching it on HULU since, last year. I am glad that have decided to create 24 new shows for this year.

October 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Isaiah Murphy

Chuck is the greatest person eva

October 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bob

Charles Carmichael! wOOt!

October 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jen

I love Chuck. I don't consider it unfamily friendly or they wouldn't have it on at 8PM. Very enjoyable, Zac is great in his role!

October 20, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. donh

THANK YOU!!!!! NBC It is teriffic news that Chuck has been extended for an additional 11 episodes. I think Yvonne is a beautiful, very talented actress. She is perfect in her role with Zachary Levi on Chuck. Her expressions and emotions are truely great. I am sure she will be very successful in her future endevours when Chuck has finished filming.

October 20, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Angelo

Bring it on! We are a chuck-a-holic family here! So having a full season would make us extremely happy and finally given a chance to follow a strong long season. By far one of our top favorite shows. Keep em coming!!!

October 20, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. CR

That's good news Chuck has been one of my favorite time waster for a while it's also filled some of the void that 24 left since it went off the air. Looking forward to more Chuck this season!

October 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Tammy

i'm sooooo excited i have been watching since the very beginning I LOVE CHUCK!!!!!!!!

October 20, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Vicky

As a self-professed *geekgirl* I love Chuck's geeky comedy and clever sci-fi. Some cable sci-fi has become too serious, like Caprica or Stargate: Universe. While I enjoy those shows for their brand of sci-fi, I'm afraid some of the genre has lost the general audience appeal that the original Star Trek generated from its humor and classic characters. Thank you Chuck for keeping the fun in sci-fi and NBC for listening to its fans.

October 20, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Emily

SO EXCITED! I, too, have been faithful to Chuck since it started! I LOVE it and always look forward to watching it on Monday nights!

October 20, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dave S.

Great News...I love "Chuck"! NBC... you need more shows like this. I think the only time I switch over to NBC right now is to watch "Chuck"!!

October 20, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  21. lisslovesdan

Too good to be true!!! I hope NBC isn't just toying with my emotions... Rrrrrraaaaaaahhhhhhh soexcitedaaaaaahhhh! We love Chuck. Nuff said.

October 20, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Karen R

Have been a faithful CHUCK fan since day one and I look forward to Monday nights. Thanks to DVR, I never miss an episode. Thank goodness it was renewed!!!!! Yea!!!!!

October 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jin

Chuck rocks! I haven't missed an episode and I'm relieved to see it getting the recognition that it deserves. It entertains on so many levels...pop culture, action, comedy, steady plotline with twists, etc. Keep up the good work!

October 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Derrick

Very happy Chuck got a back order of episodes! And thanks to CNN for doing some investigation as to why it was renewed.

October 20, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  25. allyson

left out an 'a' in area; in other words, the converter boxes need expensive add-ons in my city.

October 20, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kmn

It rocks..can't get enough

October 20, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. allyson

Since the federal government pulled the plug on my analog televisions last year [the converter boxes don't work in my are] and I have no money for cable, I have to wait 24 hours before I can see the shows online; the networks need to take that into consideration also. I'd watch Chuck every week if I could – I'm now 'Netflixing' season 3 so I can catch up before viewing season 4.

October 20, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Heather

All to often it seems like the people who say that a show stays or go's is never connected to the true lovers of the show!! Chuck NEEDS TO STAY!! I love and so do my kids!! They can cancel the most awesome shows, and for no reason! They do it every year, and every year I watch less and less of the shows on NBC because of it!

October 20, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Lindsey

I only watch TV online. I don't have time to watch TV and I don't have a DVR. So online is the only option!

October 20, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. SHRIKE

Yvonne Strahovski – does anything else need to be said? Chuck just wouldn't be as appealing if there wasn't a Sarah as his counter-point.

October 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Mojo

No episode has ever let me down, truely a perfect action comedy.

October 20, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  32. L in Seattle

I adore Chuck, but this season seems a little off its game. The action and humor aren't as sharp. So far, Casey has only had one really good fight, Sarah none, and Chuck himself is too tidy and competent. Where are his sneakers and loose tie? His panic and klutz attacks? Has he freaked out lately? Have we heard one 'girlish scream' out of him thus far? What has happened to the Jeff/Lester/Big Mike/Buy More alternate reality dynamic? Step it up, guys, step it up.

October 20, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  33. JG

Love Chuck; I've watched every episode. Subplots and unexpected twists keep me coming back. I record House and don't watch DWTS (never have). Demographic: Female, 64.

October 20, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. SHRIKE

I wish they would bring Sarah Conner Chronicles back. Summer Glau is awesome. Liked her on Firefox and Serenity movie too.

October 20, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • WHAT??

Totally different show and Network!!

I like chocolate! What does that have to do with this? About as much as your comment!!

October 20, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  35. xojmo

Love Casey. Love Morgan. Love Jeffster! Show is great. Happy to hear about a full season! Finally!

October 20, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Jennifer

OH YEAH!!!! I can't WAIT to see more CHUCK!!!! I'm one of the DVR followers cause I have a standing meeting on Monday nights that I have to be at!!! Thank GOD NBC realized that straight ratings are not a judge of a show's following!!!

October 20, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  37. adam

Once again, awesomeness rules the day! Thank god Chuck is still around!

October 20, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  38. SHRIKE

One of the few good shows on television. An actual plot driven show, with likeable characters that gain depth as the series matures! What a breath of fresh air from the insipid drivel and intellectual void of "reality' TV. I would debate that there is a definate mathematical correlation between watching reality TV and the mental retardation of general population Americans.

October 20, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Daveinoregon

Great show, fun combination of action, romance, bromance, quirky characters, multiple plotlines, and plain old silliness. The show has a heart under all its quirkiness and doesn't take itself so seriously. I wish they'd lose the in-your-face product placements, however.

October 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Pam Wit.

AWESOME! CHUCK IS PURE ESCAPISM-ENTERTAINMENT. LOVE IT!

October 20, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Chris_WI

If they have to move it to another time slot, may I suggest Wednesday or Thursday nights? Their generally isn't crap on those evenings and Chuck could rule one of those nights. BTW, CHUCK ROCKS!!!

October 20, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Ron

VERY VERY NICE, i have been a follower since it's pilot, keep up the good work.

October 20, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Amelia

Thank you, NBC! Chuck is my favorite show, and the best show on television at this time, IMO. Great cast, amazing writing and acting, and pulls at the heartstrings. What's funny is that I only used to watch it as a lead-in to Heroes, but that show started sucking really fast and Chuck just keeps improving. There needs to be more love for this show, seriously.

October 20, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Ty

So happy Chuck ROCKS!

October 20, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Dentonite 26

Wahooo! Great to hear. Chuck is a never miss. Way to go NBC. Finally!!!! A show that's lots of fun to watch as well as has a good story line. Keep it coming!

October 20, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  46. richard

I'm glad to hear! Show rocks

October 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Dawn

Yay! I'm so excited that I'll get to see more of 'Chuck!' One of my favorite shows. It's light-hearted and fun.

October 20, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  48. David

YES! WOOT! Its about time they gave Chuck a full season!

October 20, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Joanne

Yeh Chuck....I just need to catch up now on my DVR recordings.

October 20, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  50. kake79

NBC, if you really love Chuck, you'll move it to a better night. You air it against two incredibly highly watched shows (DWTS and House). Chuck is the best, most refreshing and enjoyable show on the air right now. I don't know how people have not heard of it; it was heavily advertised before the premiere in 2007 and it had a heavily promoted 3D episode in 2009. But, alas, many people haven't heard of it but I'm frequently brining in new fans once I tell them about it and let them watch my DVDs.

October 20, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Loren

I'm one of those time-shifters and me and my duaghters love 'Chuck'. Great news that NBC has decided to give 'Chuck' a full season. This witty, charming adventure deserves its renewal and a bigger viewership as well.

October 20, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Dbrad32

Great TV. After being inodated with reallity crap! Great family viewing.

October 20, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  53. JIm H

THANK YOU NBC..!!!!!!!!

October 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Jim J

Praise NBC. Its about time they got this done. Chuck is a great show!

October 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jenn

GREAT show.

October 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Sonia

What an awesome show. I am so glad.

October 20, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Groovemaster

Hell yeah! It's about time!

October 20, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Jen By The Sea

"Chuck" is a guilty pleasure. Keep it on the air! But please, in the future, no more Nicole Ritchie.

October 20, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Fred L. Fraud

Pretty much DVR everything I watch.

October 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  60. JB

YAY!!! Give me a season full of episodes like this last one with Casey and kick-butt action at the core with the shenanigans of Jeffster and I'll be happy as a clam.

October 20, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Viv

Yay Jeffster! They make the show THAT much more fun and entertaining! Go Chuck!!

October 20, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  61. D.J.

Cool, Chuck finally gets some respect, more respect than Law & Order: LA. NBC, listen to your viewers. Keep Chuck, let Law & Order: LA Law go, and maybe bring back the original Law and Order.

I don't know NBC, just stop sucking. Thanx.

October 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  62. chuck_me

24 episodes. That's like a Chuck-a-thon! Keep those episodes coming!

October 20, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Name*Rick

First season was decent, the whole theory of upload gazillion terabytes of stuff in somebodys mind in I day s just ridiculous. Can't wait until it's replaced by better show.

October 20, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Loren

Of course the idea is ridiculous, but most of TV is. Chuck offers a great harmless escape. If you are too wrapped upin the real world, then don't watch, but you'll miss some fun, silliness.

October 20, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Seriously Rick... out of all the crap on TV these days... this show is what you think is ridiculous?? What would you consider a better show?? ANOTHER reality series??

October 20, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Theresa

Awesome news! I love this show and was hoping they'd get picked up. Maybe next season NBC will just go for it in the first placed... fingers crossed.

October 20, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Sally

I really enjoy Chuck. I'm glad you are keeping it on. This season does seem to be more kid-friendly. Keep it up.

October 20, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  66. EB

Thank goodness. Chuck is one of the few shows I can share with the children of my family. It's funny, has some action and some interesting people. A little for everyone.

October 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Kelly

I love Chuck! I hope for many, many more seasons!

October 20, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Styrch

I LOVE Chuck! It's one of the few shows on television that my husband and I can agree upon. We look forward to it every week It's just way too much fun. Yay!

October 20, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Duuuude

Time for the happy dance!!!!
    Chuck is a refreshing change from all of the techno-police dramas and reality shows. It's fresh, lively, and one of the funniest shows on TV. Morgan Grimes is the perfect foil for Chuck's Nerd Chic and now that he's openly dating Casey's daughter... LOL

Thank You NBC!

October 20, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Travis Graham

Way to go Chucksters!! It'd be nice to have them show faith by ordering a full season from the start, but this definitely does not suck! Amazing show!

October 20, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  71. chuck_fan

chuck rocks!!! but there is a lot of skin. Gratuitous amounts It is worse than baywatch ever was in that regard. It isn't kid friendly.

October 20, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrsmarvel

What episodes are you watching??? Seriously, Sarah was in a full catsuit on the last episode, nary a speck of flesh below her chin was seen.

October 20, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  72. liz

I love this show! Sooooo good! Way better than anything else on tv! What great news!

October 20, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Budd

That's great. it's a excellent show. even grandma likes it.

October 20, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  74. blip-in-the-burgh

I love Chuck! I don't get to see it on Mondays (as my wife watches House), but I do see it via FIOS On Demand.

October 20, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mo Chuck

Take a stand guy. Grow a pair. Excercise your manhood. Watching Chuck is worth the divorce.

October 20, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Lynn

My husband and I have been fans from the first episode until now, but it's become much less 'family friendly' last season. Wish we could keep the wonderful comedy without the worry the kids will walk in!

October 20, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • SHRIKE

coddled children = weak gene pool

October 20, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrsmarvel

I think it's rated iffy for 14. I wouldn't say it's family UNfriendly though. What do you consider improper about it?

October 20, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mellie

I love it, too, but we can never watch it live because our kids are not in bed by that time, and it's not quite appropriate for young children.

October 20, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  76. MO

This is good news, but this new season has been AWFUL so far. I'm tired of hearing Chuck whine about his relationship. Spend a few episodes just kicking some butt!!!!

October 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Rupert

Is this show real? I see ads for it on nbc, but I have no idea when it actually comes on, if it even does. I don't know anyone who watches it, or has ever seen it. Parks and rec gets cancelled, but a show that may or may not exist and is possibly watched by "fans" who may just be shills gets more episodes. Does not compute.

October 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

I watch it, and it appears by the comments left here others do, too. Love the show.

October 20, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuckfan01

Yes Chuck exsists. I and many people love it. Parks and Recs was not cancelled and will be back in January. You may want to garner some knowledge before displaying your stupidity.

October 20, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Don't you have menu or guide channel for you TV? Monday Nights at 8PM... you should watch it once or twice before you put the show down. If you do...you will know why everyone else is saying it's such a great show!

October 20, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

@Rupert- are you... retarded or something? Its called typing in this new invention called GOOGLE and looking up times in your time zone. You are seeing things all over the place for it and thinking its not real? Were you dropped on your head as a child?

between stupidness and laziness I cant decide which I'd rather smack you for. Idiot.

October 21, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Deadbeat

Way to go Chuck! It's the only show I watch live these days. Never miss an episode.

October 20, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  79. RPK

Chuck is complete garbage.

I can't wait till they cancel that trash.

October 20, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • subtlek

No, it's not trash. They actually have writers and actors protraying a story line. You probably love reality tv like dancing with the has beens and those great literate minded people from Jersey Shores.

October 20, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • CBNP

I agree with subtlek. Chuck is a well written, great show!

October 20, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  80. CK

Great Show! Finally NBC is doing something right. Now do it even better renew it now... for next year. Comedy, Action, Romance all in one...nice chemistry with the cast. They even have a good plan and progression for the series...I'd like to see this one go 10 years.

October 20, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  81. brian

just started watching last year and watch it every monday. its funny. it also needs more cameos by more wrestlers!

October 20, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  82. kimberly

woo hoo. I don't have cable so i know I don't "count" but I follow on the internet. Love ya CHUCK!

October 20, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Dave S.

That's great news! Chuck has been my favorite show for the last few seasons. I do miss it every now and then because it is on at 8PM (I don't have a DVR). I would prefer if it was on at 9PM, I would be able to catch more episodes that way. Long live "Chuck"!

October 20, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Charlie

GOD NO!!!!!! Would someone please cancel this show!!!!!!!

October 20, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Todd

YAY! This season has been excellent! Chuck keeps getting better! Glad that it not only came back, but is getting a FULL season! Heck, I may even go get Subway for lunch to celebrate!

October 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Ed

Love the show. Glad to hear it will get a full season!

October 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  87. atn1980

Sweet, can't get enough Chuck.

October 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Justin

Chuck is great TV. Where else can you get Adam Baldwin? No where.

October 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrsmarvel

Can only assume you have watched Firefly, lol. LOVE Chuck!

October 20, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

I enjoy Baldwin's acting, loved Firefly, love Chuck! Great move, NBC executives. You are no longer batting 000%

October 20, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherry

if you like adam baldwin, check out the firefly series.

October 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Thomas

Awesome news. Chuck rocks!!

October 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |